IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How do you hide your 'ware from scanners?, Augmentation? What augmentation, officer?
Jolly
post Jun 22 2011, 07:03 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 30,123

Hi All,

How do you hide your characters' forbidden cyber/bioware, and what stories do your SIN data reflect for the restricted ware?

It's something we... less charismatic... individuals struggle with sometimes. Yes, I'm referring to my troll hacker. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

RFID tags being edited or disabled is a given. Bribery is usually an option (that can cause it's own problems).

Isn't it possible for the hacker to edit the live data return on a scanner result - changing it from positive to negative? (And conversely, edit a nearby scanner to return a positive result as a distraction?)

Thus far, all I've come up with is:

Muscle Augmentation/Toner - required for degenerative muscular disease, licensed for sports
Move-by-Wire - pass for skill wires

Adrenaline Pump, Tailored Pheromones, and Damage Compensators would seem to be the hardest to hide or fast-talk through.

Thanks!
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Jun 22 2011, 07:11 PM
Post #2

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

Bioware is all but undetectable anyway. They'd have to have you in a hospital and do extensive tests. Technically, sniffers/pheromone scanners don't detect Tailored Pheromones; instead, they detect the presence of people by scent. They're relatively expensive anyway.

Cyberware depends heavily on the grade, but it's pretty hard to hide. If they tag you, they get basically full info: what implants, where, etc. And, a rating 6 scanner is cheap (450¥), so anywhere secure would have several. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/frown.gif)

Hacking the scanners is reasonable, though either slow (ahead of time) or tough (on the fly); spoofing might be reasonable and effective, though crude. You would expect such devices to have Device Rating of 3 or 4 at minimum, so it's a moderate hack. It's possible they'd be isolated from the network anyway, which all but precludes any hacking/spoofing.

+Quote Post
Elfenlied
post Jun 22 2011, 07:50 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,018

Sometimes, Wi-Fi negating does the trick, at least against some scanners.

Failing that, plausible cover stories and the right paperwork. E.g.:
Wired Reflexes/MbW: Professional Athlete, Law Enforcement, Private Security
Muscle Replacement: Construction worker, medical condition
Eyes/Ears: medical condition
Implanted Comlink/Math SPU/Encephalon/Cerebral booster/Skillwires: IT personnel/most white collar professions
Dermal Sheathing/Plating/Bone Lacing/Damage compensators: Stuntman, Bodyguard
Tailored pheromones: corporate Exec
Adrenaline pump: tricky... medical condition (depression, bi-polarity, whacky metabolism) could do the trick

Now, justifying any kind of implanted cyberweapons is really trick. Your best bet would be to see if your GM allows something akin to the ceramic components modification available to firearms (to fool MAD), and wifi-negating paint on the limb (to fool cyberware scanners).

+Quote Post
Fyndhal
post Jun 22 2011, 07:59 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,254

My general fallback:
Fake License: Rating as high as possible.

+Quote Post
HunterHerne
post Jun 22 2011, 08:01 PM
Post #5

Running Target

Member No.: 19,166

Wi-fi can be disabled on all cyberwear, regardless of where it is. The millimeter-wave cyberware scanners are almost impossible to fool, so you'd better have your paperwork (for restrcicted gear), or an ECM for forbidden cyber. Considering how easy it is to find Cyber-weapons (threshold of 1) you really need to have the paperwork.And if you have any forbidden cyberweapons, either don't participate, or get ready for a fight.

Another good possibility, invest in your own transportation.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Jun 22 2011, 08:02 PM
Post #6

Advocatus Diaboli

Elfenlied, you can remove everything from your list there that's not even R to begin with, though. No need to justify normal things: eyes, ears, commlink, etc.

+Quote Post
Elfenlied
post Jun 22 2011, 08:11 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Jun 22 2011, 09:02 PM) *
Elfenlied, you can remove everything from your list there that's not even R to begin with, though. No need to justify normal things: eyes, ears, commlink, etc.

Actually, I was just thinking about adding "Cyber Spurs: Sushi Chef", but that's probably pushing it.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Jun 22 2011, 08:17 PM
Post #8

Advocatus Diaboli

Haha, worth a shot.

+Quote Post
KCKitsune
post Jun 22 2011, 08:24 PM
Post #9

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 15,665

I would say not to carry any ranged cyber weapons. They're bulky, limited on ammo, and, as you said, hard to conceal. Cyber spurs & hand razors should be easy to conceal.

+Quote Post
Halflife
post Jun 22 2011, 08:26 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 28,868

Everything can be justified with the right medical condition (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Jun 22 2011, 08:33 PM
Post #11

Advocatus Diaboli

Yes, there's basically no reason to get cyberguns in the first place (although, as R-class items, you can get licenses just like normal guns).

Wires is the main thing people would try to conceal, I guess. It's only R, so you can simply get a license. Ditto for a Smartlink, Muscle Replacement, and other normal things.

Bone Lacing is basically un-concealable as well as Forbidden, unless the GM house-rules that the scanner can't see it. Voice Mask, Retinal Dupe, etc. are F, and technically have no immunity from the scanner; tough sell.

Honestly, I can't think of anything else you'd have to justify; everything else is either unrestricted, or unneeded. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Elfenlied
post Jun 22 2011, 08:36 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

If all else fails, have your mage mindrape the personnel operating the scanner. If there's no personnel, then use physical illusions to get past them.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Jun 22 2011, 08:44 PM
Post #13

Advocatus Diaboli

Good point: hacking is a possibility, but magic is always there. If they have magical defenses, then that's a whole nother issue. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
KCKitsune
post Jun 22 2011, 08:51 PM
Post #14

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 15,665

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Jun 22 2011, 04:33 PM) *
Ditto for a Smartlink

If you have it as part of your cybereyes, then how will the security goon even know you've got it?

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Jun 22 2011, 08:51 PM
Post #15

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

Delta Grade for a High Threshold... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Jun 22 2011, 08:52 PM
Post #16

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (KCKitsune @ Jun 22 2011, 01:51 PM) *
If you have it as part of your cybereyes, then how will the security goon even know you've got it?

It is likely that they will not know... beauty of a cybereye system package. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Jun 22 2011, 08:56 PM
Post #17

Advocatus Diaboli

For 'real users', they can probably ask the cybereyes. For runners, obviously not an issue. Like I said, anything that's not F isn't really an issue (if you're not trying to hide the existence). The same goes for retinal duplication, I assume, and so on.

That's why the issue of *explaining* 'ware isn't half as important as *hiding* it.

+Quote Post
Eimi
post Jun 22 2011, 10:29 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,073

There is some painful humor inherent in Spy Games giving us new (f) cyberware that allows for changing your face and fingerprints...which totally falls flat thanks to the "cyberware scanners anywhere secure" part of the setting. I mean, yeah, you can do things to try and get around the ultra-cheap ubiquitous scanners, but by taking the ware, you're making your life as an infiltrator HARDER than it would've been without any augmentation.

+Quote Post
Modular Man
post Jun 22 2011, 11:50 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,317

You could ask your GM for permission to mask it as something harmless, using the given rules from "Arsenal" (are there any new ones in "Spy Games"?). That fingerprint-changing nano-cyberware? No, no, those wires are in there to keep my bones stabilized, I broke my hand a few weeks back.
Well, that will get pricey pretty soon...
You can interpret the thing about "getting general information" (scanner achieved treshold, but got no net hits) a little, too. Maybe the scanner doesn't list every function of the 'ware instantly... otherwise it's damn hard to hide those.
I still don't get why cyberware scanners get bonus dice for more cyberware to find...

+Quote Post
Socinus
post Jun 23 2011, 02:22 AM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,881

I created a custom item that helps.

Hider Nanites are nanites that can imitate or hide (Enough to fool some sensors) internal cyberware, adding their rating to any opposed test for the scanner to see the cyberware. They cant help with something like a full cyberarm, but for basic stuff they can help.

I can post the full write-up for it if you want

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Jun 23 2011, 02:23 AM
Post #21

Immortal Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 14,465

Smuggle the Street Samurai through airport security one piece at a time?

+Quote Post
Christian Lafay
post Jun 23 2011, 02:37 AM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,965

QUOTE (CanRay @ Jun 23 2011, 03:23 AM) *
Smuggle the Street Samurai through airport security one piece at a time?

Long story short, that is what full cyber body is for. And he didn't like it.

+Quote Post
Teulisch
post Jun 23 2011, 02:45 AM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,965

the modular street sam, now availible as a c3p0 backpack for the troll mage!

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Jun 23 2011, 03:02 AM
Post #24

Immortal Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 14,465

QUOTE (Christian Lafay @ Jun 22 2011, 09:37 PM) *
Long story short, that is what full cyber body is for. And he didn't like it.
QUOTE (Teulisch @ Jun 22 2011, 09:45 PM) *
the modular street sam, now availible as a c3p0 backpack for the troll mage!
"This isn't my arm."

"Um, yeah, you see, we kinda had to do... Um, yeah..."

"Where is my arm. You know, with all the cybernetic systems that I paid meganuyen for?"

"Hawai'i."

"WHAT? We're in TORONTO!"

"Yeah. The arm kind of got put on the wrong plane. We also didn't get all the parts for the cybertorso, which is in, um, where again?"

"Tracking it in London."

"ENGLAND?"

"No, here in Ontario. It got transferred onto a prop plane for some reason that I can't figure out. Honestly, they must hire drunk Trolls to do the loading and unloading!"

"HEY!"

"Sorry Tyke. No offense, but we all know Trolls do most of the aircraft loading."

"Yeah, I guess..."

"So, fine, anything else?"

"Your feet."

"If I had my right right arm right now, I'd skewer you."

+Quote Post
Christian Lafay
post Jun 23 2011, 03:14 AM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,965

And a new way to score some newones, reroute parts of competing teams for resale.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 05:00 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.