The rest are not, including:
Banshee
Dzoo-Noo-Qua
Fomoraig
Goblin
Nosferatu
Vampire
Wendigo

Does this seem right to anyone else? It seems like have a magical infection in your blood would make you dual natured. Anyone have any comments on this? Any ideas as to why some are Dual natured and some are not?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Jun 28 2011, 09:40 PM
Post #2

Advocatus Diaboli

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,282

Arbitrary. *shrug* It'd be a mistake to justify either way based on logic.

+Quote Post
HunterHerne
post Jun 28 2011, 10:46 PM
Post #3

Running Target

Member No.: 19,166

It is arbitrary, but taking a better look, only loup-garou and Ghouls gain the dual natured quality (Sasquaches are already dual natured, and Grendals, harvesters, and Gnawers don't gain it either. Neither are Drop Bears or Chuppacabra.) This is a little lopsided, since ghouls are vastly more common, and Loup-garou are the most common HMHVVII (And also the only ones that *can* jump metavariant- or so the fluff suggests)

+Quote Post
Summerstorm
post Jun 29 2011, 01:26 PM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 17,225

Hm... i am not 100% sure about this, but vampires (and other) once HAD astral sight, or not? Were they completely dual natured? I mean back in other editions... i vaguely remember my vampire character being overwhelmed by the astral sight when he first woke up changed.

So yeah, maybe they SHOULD have it.

+Quote Post
HunterHerne
post Jun 29 2011, 01:32 PM
Post #5

Running Target

Member No.: 19,166

QUOTE (Summerstorm @ Jun 29 2011, 09:26 AM) *
Hm... i am not 100% sure about this, but vampires (and other) once HAD astral sight, or not? Were they completely dual natured? I mean back in other editions... i vaguely remember my vampire character being overwhelmed by the astral sight when he first woke up changed.

I can`t speak for older editions, but I do know that in 4th, whenever a character is affected by HMHVV, of all strains, as long as they retain sentience, they have a good chance of gaining one of the awakened qualities (Usually Magician, Adept, or Mys ad, but Spell/Spirit Knack, and astral sight are possible as well), and if they already had the possibility through latent awakening, they automatically awaken.

+Quote Post
DamienKnight
post Jun 29 2011, 01:48 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,014

QUOTE (Summerstorm @ Jun 29 2011, 08:26 AM) *

In previous versions of Shadowrun Vampires were always dual natured... all infected were. Although they were not available as player characters (except for Ghouls in 3rd edition).

Of course, in old versions Vampires had immunity to normal weapons and added their essence to their strength... I just think that all infected should have the Dual Natured quality, but I guess not.

+Quote Post
TheOOB
post Jun 29 2011, 07:38 PM
Post #7

Running Target

Member No.: 10,749

Part of it I think revolved around the fact that being dual-natured really sucks, and it's a strong disadvantage of ghouls and loup-garous which are more curses than benefits. Vampires and what not are supposed to be powerful, so they shouldn't have such a crippling weakness.

+Quote Post
DamienKnight
post Jun 29 2011, 08:03 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

QUOTE (TheOOB @ Jun 29 2011, 02:38 PM) *
Part of it I think revolved around the fact that being dual-natured really sucks, and it's a strong disadvantage of ghouls and loup-garous which are more curses than benefits. Vampires and what not are supposed to be powerful, so they shouldn't have such a crippling weakness.
Crippling weakness...

Hmm... able to attack spirits with unarmed and bypass their immunity to normal weapons, ability to see astrally... Oh, and Dual Natured Creatures dont receive a penalty for physical tests when viewing the astral.

Dual Natured is awesome. It makes initiation and the Masking metamagic a high priority, but that already would be for someone wanting to conceal their infection.

My group always treated all magically infected as Dual Natured. Going to have to talk it over with them, may want to house rule this, or maybe going to have to change some characters around a bit.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Jun 29 2011, 08:05 PM
Post #9

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

Yes, it sounds great when you only mention some possible benefits, and ignore the well-known drawbacks.

+Quote Post
Apathy
post Jun 29 2011, 09:14 PM
Post #10

Running Target

Member No.: 6,046

As I remember it (haven't played in a while), the only way to get past a ward without setting it off if you're dual natured is:
  • Initiate and get masking.
  • Find someone who is authorized to go through the ward and study them for an extended time so you can mimic their signature.
  • Mask the authorized user's signature and walk through. The ward makes a test to pierce your masking with a threshhold of your initiate grade?

Is this correct?

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Jun 29 2011, 09:29 PM
Post #11

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (Apathy @ Jun 29 2011, 03:14 PM) *
As I remember it (haven't played in a while), the only way to get past a ward without setting it off if you're dual natured is:
  • Initiate and get masking.
  • Find someone who is authorized to go through the ward and study them for an extended time so you can mimic their signature.
  • Mask the authorized user's signature and walk through. The ward makes a test to pierce your masking with a threshhold of your initiate grade?

Is this correct?

Essentially, Yes... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Irion
post Jun 29 2011, 09:39 PM
Post #12

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 18,860

@Apathy
This person is most likely inside the ward...

Not to mention that said spirit is able to beat you up while moving quite fast.

+Quote Post
Tanegar
post Jun 30 2011, 02:43 AM
Post #13

Runner

Member No.: 9,731

QUOTE (DamienKnight @ Jun 29 2011, 04:03 PM) *
Crippling weakness...

Hmm... able to attack spirits with unarmed and bypass their immunity to normal weapons, ability to see astrally... Oh, and Dual Natured Creatures dont receive a penalty for physical tests when viewing the astral.

Dual Natured is awesome. It makes initiation and the Masking metamagic a high priority, but that already would be for someone wanting to conceal their infection.

My group always treated all magically infected as Dual Natured. Going to have to talk it over with them, may want to house rule this, or maybe going to have to change some characters around a bit.

There's also the fact that a projecting magician can Manabolt you into oblivion and you can do precisely sod-all to stop him unless you are also awakened. So there's that.

+Quote Post
Eimi
post Jun 30 2011, 06:49 AM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,073

Uh, I have my books right here, and I'm not sure where people are getting this idea that Vampires (or the other infected except for Ghouls and Loup-Garou) are dual natured. Their abilities and drawbacks in 4e are virtually identical to their abilities and drawbacks in the 1e core, with the only real change at any point being that they lost the +Essence to their Strength they had in previous editions in 4e. They never had Immunity to Normal Weapons, either, except for when they were in Mist Form, like every other critter with Mist Form. Of course, older-editions Regeneration was nutso compared to 4e Regeneration, so that went a longer way in their tanking.

Editions previous to 4e were as nebulous as hell as to what was a "Dual Being" and what wasn't, with nothing in any of the critter entries making it clear what was and what wasn't, except a bit of shadowtalk on a few, like the Hellhound, outright stating that they were. If the assumption was that every paranormal creature was a dual being, it was never stated outright, one of the more annoying omissions of assumption the game has had throughout its history.

So. Either most Critters used to be dual natured then suddenly weren't in 4e, or the ones that aren't in 4e never were. Pick your poison. Vampires aren't and weren't ever dual natured in 4e, as were none of the other Infected that didn't have "Dual Natured" in their Powers section. The idea that they are is a strange permutation of urban legend, one I've slipped into myself at one point in the past, but it's right there in black and white (or color and black in the 4eAE core).

+Quote Post
DamienKnight
post Jun 30 2011, 06:16 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

QUOTE (Tanegar @ Jun 29 2011, 09:43 PM) *
There's also the fact that a projecting magician can Manabolt you into oblivion and you can do precisely sod-all to stop him unless you are also awakened. So there's that.
Masking protects you from that. First grade of initiation to get masking is just 8 karma with a group and oath, and 3 karma to join the group. Its not a very big problem unless you cant initiate.

Honestly though... who is going to play a Vampire that isnt an Adept or Magician?

QUOTE (Eimi @ Jun 30 2011, 01:49 AM) *
Uh, I have my books right here, and I'm not sure where people are getting this idea that Vampires (or the other infected except for Ghouls and Loup-Garou) are dual natured. Their abilities and drawbacks in 4e are virtually identical to their abilities and drawbacks in the 1e core, with the only real change at any point being that they lost the +Essence to their Strength they had in previous editions in 4e. They never had Immunity to Normal Weapons, either, except for when they were in Mist Form, like every other critter with Mist Form. Of course, older-editions Regeneration was nutso compared to 4e Regeneration, so that went a longer way in their tanking.

Editions previous to 4e were as nebulous as hell as to what was a "Dual Being" and what wasn't, with nothing in any of the critter entries making it clear what was and what wasn't, except a bit of shadowtalk on a few, like the Hellhound, outright stating that they were. If the assumption was that every paranormal creature was a dual being, it was never stated outright, one of the more annoying omissions of assumption the game has had throughout its history.

So. Either most Critters used to be dual natured then suddenly weren't in 4e, or the ones that aren't in 4e never were. Pick your poison. Vampires aren't and weren't ever dual natured in 4e, as were none of the other Infected that didn't have "Dual Natured" in their Powers section. The idea that they are is a strange permutation of urban legend, one I've slipped into myself at one point in the past, but it's right there in black and white (or color and black in the 4eAE core).
No one is arguing that Vampires are supposed to be Dual Natured in 4th edition, and certainly not saying all Critters should be dual natured.

My question simply was, why are some with Magical infection dual natured, and some are not?

Good point though, they were not dual natured in 3rd edition (just checked the critters book). Question still stands... why?

+Quote Post
Tanegar
post Jun 30 2011, 06:23 PM
Post #16

Runner

QUOTE (DamienKnight @ Jun 30 2011, 01:16 PM) *
Masking protects you from that. First grade of initiation to get masking is just 8 karma with a group and oath, and 3 karma to join the group. Its not a very big problem unless you cant initiate.

Uh, page reference? Reading the entry on Masking in SR4A (p. 198), it lets an initiate disguise his/her aura to look like someone else. It doesn't say anything about making a dual-natured being not be dual-natured anymore, or about defending against hostile spells. If you assume that assensing is the only way the enemy has to identify you, then sure, you can blend into a crowd. If it isn't, you're still getting Manabolted to death with damn few options for retaliation.

+Quote Post
darthmord
post Jun 30 2011, 07:02 PM
Post #17

Running Target

Member No.: 11,548

QUOTE (Tanegar @ Jun 30 2011, 01:23 PM) *
Uh, page reference? Reading the entry on Masking in SR4A (p. 198), it lets an initiate disguise his/her aura to look like someone else. It doesn't say anything about making a dual-natured being not be dual-natured anymore, or about defending against hostile spells. If you assume that assensing is the only way the enemy has to identify you, then sure, you can blend into a crowd. If it isn't, you're still getting Manabolted to death with damn few options for retaliation.

It comes from the fact that you can use Masking to make yourself appear completely mundane. That would hide the fact that you are Dual Natured.

+Quote Post
Tanegar
post Jun 30 2011, 07:12 PM
Post #18

Runner

QUOTE (darthmord @ Jun 30 2011, 03:02 PM) *
It comes from the fact that you can use Masking to make yourself appear completely mundane. That would hide the fact that you are Dual Natured.

Yes, I believe I covered that. It hides the fact that you're dual-natured, it doesn't remove the fact that you're dual-natured. If the only way the enemy can track you is astrally, then yes, you can avoid being tracked, or at least make it harder. If anyone on the opposing team has, oh I dunno, a picture of you, on the other hand, you're still hosed. Or, heaven forbid, a ritual link. Then you're comprehensively boned, because they can hit you from the other side of the planet.

+Quote Post
Christian Lafay
post Jun 30 2011, 07:31 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,965

QUOTE (Tanegar @ Jun 30 2011, 08:12 PM) *
Yes, I believe I covered that. It hides the fact that you're dual-natured, it doesn't remove the fact that you're dual-natured. If the only way the enemy can track you is astrally, then yes, you can avoid being tracked, or at least make it harder. If anyone on the opposing team has, oh I dunno, a picture of you, on the other hand, you're still hosed. Or, heaven forbid, a ritual link. Then you're comprehensively boned, because they can hit you from the other side of the planet.

Ritual Link always makes me think of the movie Gattaca. Wake up every morning, sand blast your hair and skin, burn what well off, go on about your day.

+Quote Post
Apathy
post Jun 30 2011, 08:07 PM
Post #20

Running Target

Member No.: 6,046

Ritual link doesn't apply to the argument, because then you're hosed whether you're dual natured or not.

Theoretically, a way to figure out who's masking in a crowd of apparent mundanes, is to go astral and manaball the area. None of the people who actually are mundanes will be touched, but anyone masking is still a valid target, even if the caster didn't know he was there.

+Quote Post
DamienKnight
post Jun 30 2011, 08:07 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

QUOTE (Tanegar @ Jun 30 2011, 02:12 PM) *
A projecting mage cannot target a dual natured creature with a mana based spell if he cant break masking. If he cant see a magically active target, he cant lock on and zap you.

Not to mention the fact that you always see in both astral and physical, and will likely notice him, and you CAN target him with your dual natured foot up his ass.

+Quote Post
Muspellsheimr
post Jun 30 2011, 08:22 PM
Post #22

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 15,706

Masking allows you to appear mundane, among other things, to someone who cannot break it. It does absolutely nothing to 'conceal' your astral form. Masking or not, you still have an astral body, and it is not invisible.

The Concealment power is pretty much the only way to hide that.

+Quote Post
Tanegar
post Jun 30 2011, 08:28 PM
Post #23

Runner

QUOTE (DamienKnight @ Jun 30 2011, 03:07 PM) *
A projecting mage cannot target a dual natured creature with a mana based spell if he cant break masking. If he cant see a magically active target, he cant lock on and zap you.

Again, cite a page, please. If the mage can see you, and he knows that you're dual-natured, I cannot find anything in RAW preventing him from nuking you. Apathy also makes an excellent point. If he knows Manaball, he can blast an area, and you'll take damage whether you're masked or not. Handy, that.

Not to mention the fact that you always see in both astral and physical, and will likely notice him, and you CAN target him with your dual natured foot up his ass.

A) You'll likely notice him if you happen to be looking for him, and B) how do you propose to make a physical attack if he's floating a couple stories up?

+Quote Post
Christian Lafay
post Jun 30 2011, 08:29 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,965

QUOTE (Muspellsheimr @ Jun 30 2011, 09:22 PM) *
Masking allows you to appear mundane, among other things, to someone who cannot break it. It does absolutely nothing to 'conceal' your astral form. Masking or not, you still have an astral body, and it is not invisible.

The Concealment power is pretty much the only way to hide that.

Of course it only applies to those that don't break it. That's like saying camo only works against those that can't spot you in the trees. No drek.

Though I think the best use of masking would be to change what type of creature you look like astrally. "I think that's our guy...." "Idiot, we're looking for a ghoul. Not a free spirit. Pull your head out your hoop."

+Quote Post
TheOOB
post Jun 30 2011, 09:57 PM
Post #25

Running Target

Member No.: 10,749

Masking allows you to alter your aura, and aura is the intangible reflection of a living being on the astral plane. A dual natured being is actively present in the astral plane as an astral form, not just an aura, and masking does nothing to hide an astral form, even saying it could alter you to look like another astral form is taking a liberal interpretation of the rules. I personally make a home brew metamagic that allows naturally dual natured beings to suppress their astral form.

Astral Suppression
Prerequisites: Dual-Natured
Just as many magicians learn to send their consciousness to the astral plane and leave their bodies behind, some dual-natured beings have learned to hide their astral forms within themselves and act temporarily as physical beings. As a complex action, a dual-natured being with this metamagic can suppress their astral form, losing the dual-natured quality and acting as a purely physical being. While suppressing their astral forms, the initiate has no astral form, is unaffected by astral spells, and can freely pass through wards just as a normal physical being could do. Supressing one's astral form requires concentration, applying a -2 penalty to all action performed while doing so. The initiate may suppress their astral form for a number of hours a day equal to their initiate grade, once the duration runs out they immediately become a dual natured being again, and cannot use this ability until they have rested for at least 8 hours. This power in no way affects the aura of the initiate suppressing their astral form, such is a purview of the masking metamagic.

Improved Astral Suppression
Prerequisites: Dual-Natured, Astral Supression
With this power the initiate can quickly suppress their astral form, and no longer needs to spend as much effort maintaining the ability. The initiate no longer suffers the -2 penalty to actions while suppressing their astral form, and may supress their astral form as a free action by succeeding a threshold three Willpower+Charisma test.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 09:10 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.