Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Space Colonies, Are there any?
Mr. Smileys
post Jun 30 2011, 10:13 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 28,294

According to fluff or SR fiction are there any current colonies of metahumans in space stations or on other planets(i.e. Mars)? If so which corp(s) funded them and any other info you guys might have on them would be helpful.

If not, do you guys know if any of the corps are looking at doing these kinds of things?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
hermit
post Jun 30 2011, 10:30 PM
Post #2

The King In Yellow

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 7,121

Yes.

There used to be four Torus stations atseveral LaGrange points, all but one were abandoned during the crash though. Also, there are a couple moon bases - Ares has one, Saeder-Krupp has at least two, Evo has one and others probably too. Ares also operates a station close to Mercury. And then there's Evo's secretive Mars base. Also, there are numerous orbital stations.

Most AAA corps have significant space assets. Saeder-Krupp, Evo and Ares have the largest assets, with Evo having inherited Russia'S space programme, ares America's and SK the ESA. Horizon also has large space sttions, but nothing beyond the Orbit.

Amon the second row, Proteus has the most significant space assets, including a huge orbital.

+Quote Post
Christian Lafay
post Jun 30 2011, 10:33 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,965

With how Shadowrun seems to have to play catch up with it's predictions of technology I wonder how the terraforming of Mars is coming along. Will it have it's own Ariesphere soon? Oh, to dream....

+Quote Post
KarmaInferno
post Jul 1 2011, 02:20 AM
Post #4

Old Man Jones

Member No.: 1,699

There are even shadowrunners in space. At least one of the regular shadowtalkers in the books is posting from orbit.

-k

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Jul 1 2011, 03:13 AM
Post #5

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 14,465

IIRC, OrbitalDK is part of a data-auction house. How it survived the "Colony Drop" of Crash 2.0...

Speaking of, the Megas are rebuilding their orbital assets after Winternight and all their fun things...

+Quote Post
Aria
post Jul 1 2011, 06:02 AM
Post #6

Dragon

Member No.: 18,267

And the space elevator is due in '74 or has that been postponed?!?

+Quote Post
hermit
post Jul 1 2011, 09:15 AM
Post #7

The King In Yellow

And the space elevator is due in '74 or has that been postponed?!?

Since it was slated to be built in what now is where the War Over Trees is waged, I'd assume it is.

IIRC, OrbitalDK is part of a data-auction house. How it survived the "Colony Drop" of Crash 2.0...

OrbitalDK is a human woman. Also, not every space station crashed with the crash. Not even every sattelite did. Not every SR space station is in orbit. The Crash is overrated anyway.

+Quote Post
HunterHerne
post Jul 1 2011, 11:34 AM
Post #8

Running Target

Member No.: 19,166

QUOTE (hermit @ Jul 1 2011, 06:15 AM) *
Since it was slated to be built in what now is where the War Over Trees is waged, I'd assume it is.

OrbitalDK is a human woman. Also, not every space station crashed with the crash. Not even every sattelite did. Not every SR space station is in orbit. The Crash is overrated anyway.

More or less. It seems like just a way to have brought in-universe reason to justify a transition to wireless. With a few "personal" exceptions being Ghosts in the Machine

+Quote Post
Tzeentch
post Jul 1 2011, 11:15 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 459

-- This thread may be of use: http://forums.dumpshock.com/index.php?showtopic=31650

+Quote Post
hermit
post Jul 2 2011, 10:25 AM
Post #10

The King In Yellow

More or less. It seems like just a way to have brought in-universe reason to justify a transition to wireless. With a few "personal" exceptions being Ghosts in the Machine

Because that would never happen otherwise. Say, do you still remember when that asteroid struck in the 90s? Which prompted everyone to buy cellphones and totally killed the phone booth and landline telephones?

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Jul 2 2011, 05:35 PM
Post #11

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (hermit @ Jul 2 2011, 05:25 AM) *
Because that would never happen otherwise. Say, do you still remember when that asteroid struck in the 90s? Which prompted everyone to buy cellphones and totally killed the phone booth and landline telephones?
Well, considering how hard it is to find a payphone now...

I just saw an advertisement on one payphone showing how well they work as advertising places: "Over 4,700 in the province."

I thought to myself, "Damn, there must have been over five thousand in the city alone back in the day."

+Quote Post
hermit
post Jul 2 2011, 06:19 PM
Post #12

The King In Yellow

Yes, exactly. And all that without a cataclysmic event.

It would have been perfectly easy to just decree the wireless Matrix without the crash. It's not lik using cellphones to go online wasn't possible since Matrix anyway.

+Quote Post
Ascalaphus
post Jul 2 2011, 07:00 PM
Post #13

Runner

Member No.: 17,814

Yeah, but System Failure was an entertaining read. And it was also supposed to be the transition between editions; that ought to be a bit cataclysmic. I think D&D nearly made the world end with the 2->3 transition adventure...

And face it: this is an RPG. Why have an inconspicuous change when you can have a worldwide cataclysm? The cataclysm is more fun!

+Quote Post
hermit
post Jul 2 2011, 08:10 PM
Post #14

The King In Yellow

And it was also supposed to be the transition between editions; that ought to be a bit cataclysmic.

Like it was between 1E through 3E? I just think it was mostl unnecessary. And frankly, massive data loss and the breakdown of most infrastructure do not exactly explain a massive surge in wealth, productivity and technology. It's been consensus that SR is way beyond where it should be given uninterrupted technological development because of the first crash. Now, the second crash does what, generate new technology somehow? Please. That totaly does not pan out. Same with Technomancers, who were just beamed into the setting for no apparent reason.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Jul 2 2011, 08:35 PM
Post #15

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (hermit @ Jul 2 2011, 01:19 PM) *
Yes, exactly. And all that without a cataclysmic event.

It would have been perfectly easy to just decree the wireless Matrix without the crash. It's not lik using cellphones to go online wasn't possible since Matrix anyway.
But much more gradual than a handful of years between 3rd and 4th.

With Crash 2.0, the rebuild of the Matrix allows it to be done from scratch (With the exception of Germany) except for the main trunk lines of broadband fiber optics. Even then, the distribution nodes would have required extensive rebuilding and replacement.

*Shrugs* There might have been a few other opinions going on at the time as well, and they had to tie up the Winternight and Dues thing as well. 'Course, the backlash of it is still being felt, and gives lots of things available to GMs as well.

Finally, a full reboot allows for the old '80s Computer Systems to be updated to at least a GUI and other fun things that's available today that were barely thought of back in the day.

+Quote Post
KarmaInferno
post Jul 2 2011, 10:29 PM
Post #16

Old Man Jones

Member No.: 1,699

Well, people as individuals and as groups to tend to accomplish more, in less time, when in crisis mode.

For example, World War 2, while horrific and devastating and awful, generated a massive amount of technological development.

... I guess that's all I have for the moment.

-k

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Jul 2 2011, 10:52 PM
Post #17

Immortal Elf

They call it "The Greatest Generation" for a good reason.

+Quote Post
Christian Lafay
post Jul 2 2011, 10:53 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,965

QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Jul 2 2011, 11:29 PM) *
Well, people as individuals and as groups to tend to accomplish more, in less time, when in crisis mode.

For example, World War 2, while horrific and devastating and awful, generated a massive amount of technological development.

... I guess that's all I have for the moment.

-k

Death and destruction has usually been the over-drive of technology. As well as the bastardization and manipulation of technology." Fireworks you say? You see pretty lights, I see lots and lots of dead people."

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Jul 2 2011, 11:02 PM
Post #19

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Christian Lafay @ Jul 2 2011, 05:53 PM) *
Death and destruction has usually been the over-drive of technology. As well as the bastardization and manipulation of technology. "Fireworks you say? You see pretty lights, I see lots and lots of dead people."
Some of the desperate designs of Post-Dunkirk England is particularly interesting.

+Quote Post
hermit
post Jul 3 2011, 12:12 AM
Post #20

The King In Yellow

Or post-Stalingrad Germany.

+Quote Post
Ascalaphus
post Jul 3 2011, 12:29 AM
Post #21

Runner

Member No.: 17,814

QUOTE (hermit @ Jul 2 2011, 09:10 PM) *
Like it was between 1E through 3E? I just think it was mostl unnecessary. And frankly, massive data loss and the breakdown of most infrastructure do not exactly explain a massive surge in wealth, productivity and technology. It's been consensus that SR is way beyond where it should be given uninterrupted technological development because of the first crash. Now, the second crash does what, generate new technology somehow? Please. That totaly does not pan out. Same with Technomancers, who were just beamed into the setting for no apparent reason.

I never said it was realistic. If you want realism, SR is the wrong game; there's a proud tradition of "it'd be cool to have X, so we will have X, even if we have to trample all over realism to get to it" running around since the very beginning *coughNANcough*.

Gradual technological innovation is just harder to get excited about than a worldwide socio-techno-magical breakdown. And as the new firm producing SR you want people to sit up and notice that something is happening. I think they did okay with that. Like I said, I enjoyed reading System Failure.

+Quote Post
hermit
post Jul 3 2011, 12:34 AM
Post #22

The King In Yellow

there's a proud tradition of "it'd be cool to have X, so we will have X, even if we have to trample all over realism to get to it" running around since the very beginning *coughNANcough*.

There's also a proud tradition to get the cool done right. It wasn't there.

Gradual technological innovation is just harder to get excited about than a worldwide socio-techno-magical breakdown.

Nice it worked for you. It just seemed hyperbole for me.

And as the new firm producing SR you want people to sit up and notice that something is happening.

You refering to FanPro?

+Quote Post
Fatum
post Jul 5 2011, 06:23 PM
Post #23

Runner

Member No.: 17,589

Okay, no need to be grumpy, System Failure is a perfectly ok book making for some nice adventure ideas. Yeah, the Crash wasn't necessary - but was the Great Ghost Dance War?

Also, momentarily back on topic: Target:Wastelands has most of SR space info, should the details still be needed.

+Quote Post
MJBurrage
post Jul 8 2011, 01:27 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 11,507

WRT Crash II, the developers of Shadowrun Fourth Edition wanted a game that felt like a plausible extension of the current real world (for new players) without abandoning all the old fluff (for grognards like us). Nothing stimulates change like a crisis and its response. So it is not that Crash II was done for no reason, and later led to SR4's wireless and Technos. Rather SR4 has wireless and technos because the real world has wireless, and recent sci-fi has ever more Technos; Crash II was simply the fluff explanation for a dramatic change.

Space
With editing the SWW still locked, I put together a list of Space locations at the Shadowrun Wikia.

If anyone has details that I missed or have not included, please add them (with the source noted).

+Quote Post
Fatum
post Jul 8 2011, 04:50 PM
Post #25

Runner

Member No.: 17,589

Plus the Winternight was awesome, as far as apocalyptic cults go.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th April 2024 - 12:21 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.