Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Magic in space with Astral Hazing, I just had a WTF moment
Dakka Dakka
post Jul 3 2011, 01:59 PM
Post #1

Prime Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,582

Are characters with Astral Hazing supposed to be the optimal Space-Mages? At least that's what the book says:
QUOTE ('Runner's Companion S.116')
Whatever the ambient mana conditions are, the character always stands at the heart of a Rating 4 background count (see p. 117, Street Magic) that extends a number of meters from her body equal to her Essence; this background count also impairs her own actions if the character is Awakened. If she remains in one place for long, the background count expands by one meter in every direction every two or three hours (at the gamemaster’s discretion).

I really wished the authors would pay more attention to what they write.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Jul 3 2011, 02:29 PM
Post #2

The ShadowComedian

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 13,525

you are aware, that BGC and Shallow are additive or the higher counts?

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Jul 3 2011, 02:34 PM
Post #3

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

Heh. Even if it worked, it'd merely be an error, not a real aspect of the setting/game.

+Quote Post
Dakka Dakka
post Jul 3 2011, 02:59 PM
Post #4

Prime Runner

QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jul 3 2011, 04:29 PM) *
you are aware, that BGC and Shallow are additive or the higher counts?
Huh? Astral Shallows have nothing to do with Background Count. They are merely places where you can look into one plane form the other.
If you meant Mana Ebbs and Voids instead, those do not add up either. Man Voids are from -12 to -7 BGC and Ebbs from -6 to -1. You are always either in one or in the other. Moreover the rules state that regardless of the ambient mana conditions the character makes his surroundings a +/- 4 Mana Ebb/Domain. We do not know which it is but it does not make a difference, except for Astral Perception.

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Jul 3 2011, 04:34 PM) *
Heh. Even if it worked, it'd merely be an error, not a real aspect of the setting/game.
I sure hope so.

+Quote Post
Aerospider
post Jul 3 2011, 05:02 PM
Post #5

Running Target

Member No.: 17,968

The Astral Hazing quality does specify it produces an aspected domain, so that's a +4 background count.

I'm coming round to the idea. It makes for an interesting angle for such people to be of great utility to the megacorps in space. Kidnapping a reluctant hazer and delivering him to a corp so they can stick him in an orbital lab for the next research cycle or two could be a perfectly good run to play.

+Quote Post
pbangarth
post Jul 3 2011, 05:31 PM
Post #6

Old Man of the North

Member No.: 5,463

I've always played it that if two BGCs overlapped, the greater of the two prevailed. I can't find the text to support this position, however. And the Astral Hazing text does say "Whatever the ambient mana conditions are, the character always stands at the heart of a Rating 4 background count" (RC, page 116).

Now, it also says "taints astral space around her." Does outer space have astral space at all? Street Magic (page 119) describes outer space as a mana void, but also shows that mana fields can be formed there by the introduction of life, such as the greenhouse at the station called Eden in the vignette on page 111. So, if enough life forms together can generate a mana field, then it looks as if a character with Astral Hazing should be able to do it also.

Cool.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Jul 3 2011, 05:38 PM
Post #7

Advocatus Diaboli

And it's aspected to 'chaotic detrimental mess for all traditions and users', if there were any justice. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

+Quote Post
Hagga
post Jul 3 2011, 06:05 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 16,538

Spirit rather than the letter and all that, sometimes, is the only way to keep things normal and sane.

+Quote Post
Dakka Dakka
post Jul 3 2011, 07:28 PM
Post #9

Prime Runner

QUOTE (Hagga @ Jul 3 2011, 08:05 PM) *
Spirit rather than the letter and all that, sometimes, is the only way to keep things normal and sane.
In a world with dragons as corporate CEOs either interpretation is as (in)sane a the other. the literal one though has more "interesting" consequences. Also how but in the literal way would you play areas lesser BGC than space?

+Quote Post
HunterHerne
post Jul 3 2011, 11:53 PM
Post #10

Running Target

Member No.: 19,166

Honestly, I think house ruling it is the best idea, regardless of which way you go. The idea of Astral hazing is that the character generates a mana field themselves, so I think this could offset the lack of mana (ebb, or void). However, as it is aspected, I don't think it would mix well with domains and warps, unless it had a similar aspect. I would say in domains, whichever is higher wins, and Warps always win.

+Quote Post
Bodak
post Jul 4 2011, 03:30 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,015

QUOTE (pbangarth @ Jul 4 2011, 03:31 AM) *
Now, it also says "taints astral space around her." Does outer space have astral space at all?
AH addresses that point here. You could go with either the ruling that outer space produces polluted mana or no mana depending on which quotes you want to cherry-pick. Perhaps like most magic, nobody knows for sure - that's why there are so many contradictory theories.

+Quote Post
Demonseed Elite
post Jul 4 2011, 03:41 AM
Post #12

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 67

QUOTE (Bodak @ Jul 3 2011, 11:30 PM) *
AH addresses that point here. You could go with either the ruling that outer space produces polluted mana or no mana depending on which quotes you want to cherry-pick. Perhaps like most magic, nobody knows for sure - that's why there are so many contradictory theories.

It is worth noting that AH's quotes in that thread are from SR3. AH was involved in the freelancer/developer discussions when I took over writing the chapter on Astral Space in Street Magic. The language and mechanics in SR3 were extremely confusing and unclear, something we sought to address in Street Magic. Page 119 of Street Magic is much more clear that space lacks mana and Street Magic also clearly divided voids from mana warps by putting them on opposite ends of the background count spectrum, unlike SR3.

+Quote Post
Sengir
post Jul 4 2011, 10:42 AM
Post #13

Great Dragon

Member No.: 17,709

QUOTE (HunterHerne @ Jul 3 2011, 11:53 PM) *
The idea of Astral hazing is that the character generates a mana field themselves,

Well, that is the question: Does Astral Hazing produce "bad" mana, or does it taint an existing manasphere?

+Quote Post
Aku
post Jul 4 2011, 01:47 PM
Post #14

Running, running, running

Member No.: 6,769

I feel like, purely from an engrish language perspective, you need something in order to haze it. ex: Phi Beta Kappa didnt have any new recruits this year, therefore the yearly hazing did not take place.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Jul 4 2011, 01:52 PM
Post #15

The ShadowComedian

Member No.: 13,525

QUOTE (Aku @ Jul 4 2011, 03:47 PM) *
I feel like, purely from an engrish language perspective, you need something in order to haze it. ex: Phi Beta Kappa didnt have any new recruits this year, therefore the yearly hazing did not take place.

ok, you, 5 bucks into the bad play of words jar . .

+Quote Post
Rubic
post Jul 4 2011, 03:52 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 31,052

QUOTE (Aku @ Jul 4 2011, 09:47 AM) *

QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jul 4 2011, 09:52 AM) *
ok, you, 5 bucks into the bad play of words jar . .

That's actually not a terrible analogy. Not the best, but still not terrible.

+Quote Post
Dakka Dakka
post Jul 4 2011, 04:05 PM
Post #17

Prime Runner

If there were no astral plane in space, how can awakened people expose themselves to it and go mad/die from it?

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Jul 4 2011, 04:06 PM
Post #18

Advocatus Diaboli

Magic. Also, like a fish out of water.

+Quote Post
HunterHerne
post Jul 4 2011, 04:26 PM
Post #19

Running Target

Member No.: 19,166

QUOTE (Dakka Dakka @ Jul 4 2011, 12:05 PM) *
If there were no astral plane in space, how can awakened people expose themselves to it and go mad/die from it?

I suppose it would be the equivalent of exposing your meat body to space. There is absolutely nothing there, so you essentially explosively decompress. Your astral body begins breaking down. I think if it ever came up, I would have it as an essance loss scenario, exposure to the "astral" of space begins taking a part of what makes your spiritual mind and body connected (with a willpower check to avoid an actual negative quality associated with that loss).

+Quote Post
Aerospider
post Jul 4 2011, 04:38 PM
Post #20

Running Target

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Jul 4 2011, 05:06 PM) *
Magic. Also, like a fish out of water.

So do fish not excrete on dry land because there's no liquid to contaminate?

Ok, enough with the analogies. Astral space does exist in space but there's no mana, the absence of which is what makes it so painful. The wording of the quality is unambiguous - it refers to the ambient mana conditions. Background count is possible in space by virtue of there being astral space, so whether the 'hazer' is on a space walk or surrounded by lots of lovely plants in Eden, the quality does work by RAW. If it doesn't sit comfortably then house-rule it as you see fit, but the text stands for itself.

+Quote Post
Rubic
post Jul 4 2011, 04:38 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 31,052

QUOTE (HunterHerne @ Jul 4 2011, 12:26 PM) *
I suppose it would be the equivalent of exposing your meat body to space. There is absolutely nothing there, so you essentially explosively decompress. Your astral body begins breaking down. I think if it ever came up, I would have it as an essance loss scenario, exposure to the "astral" of space begins taking a part of what makes your spiritual mind and body connected (with a willpower check to avoid an actual negative quality associated with that loss).

If that IS the case, and even the fact that it's a possibility, would mean corps would LOVE to test the theory of sending the magically active up in space accompanied by a hazer, who very well might create a haze regardless of baground count, warps, or voids.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Jul 4 2011, 04:50 PM
Post #22

Advocatus Diaboli

Aerospider, focus. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) "how can awakened people expose themselves to it and go mad/die from it?" … like a fish out of water. These are called jokes. Not *good* jokes, but not things meriting misguided srs responses.

Anyway, most people aren't saying it doesn't work by RAW. They're saying it's stupid and typically short-sighted RAW. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
Fikealox
post Jul 4 2011, 04:54 PM
Post #23

Target

Member No.: 19,064

QUOTE (Aerospider @ Jul 5 2011, 02:38 AM) *
Astral space does exist in space but there's no mana, the absence of which is what makes it so painful. The wording of the quality is unambiguous - it refers to the ambient mana conditions. Background count is possible in space by virtue of there being astral space, so whether the 'hazer' is on a space walk or surrounded by lots of lovely plants in Eden, the quality does work by RAW. If it doesn't sit comfortably then house-rule it as you see fit, but the text stands for itself.

This is my take, too. I wouldn't go so far as to claim that the quality is completely unambiguous, but I agree that this is the best interpretation of the text. Plus, the mechanism seems logical to me. I'm having a bit of a harder time conceptualising how Astral Hazing would work in a Mana Warp.

+Quote Post
Aerospider
post Jul 4 2011, 05:56 PM
Post #24

Running Target

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Jul 4 2011, 05:50 PM) *
Aerospider, focus. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) "how can awakened people expose themselves to it and go mad/die from it?" … like a fish out of water. These are called jokes. Not *good* jokes, but not things meriting misguided srs responses.

Anyway, most people aren't saying it doesn't work by RAW. They're saying it's stupid and typically short-sighted RAW. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

It was a terrible joke, but my response was no better if you couldn't tell it was similarly tongue in cheek. Perhaps I need to be less stingy with the emoticons...

Ok, so, besides yours there are no posts that say the rule is stupid and only a couple that imply it. Nobody so far has come close to presenting a rationale as to why this thing is actually a problem. So can someone help me see the supposed brokenness before I start thinking up some space-related runs?

+Quote Post
Demonseed Elite
post Jul 4 2011, 06:05 PM
Post #25

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 67

QUOTE (Aerospider @ Jul 4 2011, 12:38 PM) *
Ok, enough with the analogies. Astral space does exist in space but there's no mana, the absence of which is what makes it so painful.

Exactly correct. This is the way it was meant to be expressed.

QUOTE (Aerospider @ Jul 4 2011, 12:38 PM) *
The wording of the quality is unambiguous - it refers to the ambient mana conditions. Background count is possible in space by virtue of there being astral space, so whether the 'hazer' is on a space walk or surrounded by lots of lovely plants in Eden, the quality does work by RAW. If it doesn't sit comfortably then house-rule it as you see fit, but the text stands for itself.

I agree that the wording is unambiguous, though to me it's a very poor idea. It doesn't really make much sense that hazers generate a mana field; it would make much more sense that they attract ambient mana and "flavor" it. But that would require there being ambient mana to begin with, which in my interpretation would mean that a background count higher than 4 or -4 would nullify the hazing effect. In the case of -4 or below, there is not enough ambient mana for the hazer to attract. In the case of +4 or higher, the local conditions drawing and shaping the mana are stronger than the hazer's nature.

But because of the way it's written, that's more of a house ruling.

+Quote Post

6 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 05:44 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.