Reply to this topicStart new topic
> RFID clusters
PoliteMan
post Jul 7 2011, 11:17 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,889

Been thinking about RFID clusters for awhile and presuming you use some of the higher end RFIDS (Sensor, Security) it should be fairly easy to get a Processor Limit of 100+, then use replicating worms and Optimized programs to get a ton of agents working off the cluster. I'm wondering if anybody has done this before and what their experiences were like.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
StevenAngier
post Jul 7 2011, 11:49 AM
Post #2

Target

Member No.: 31,414

While it's a nice idea to hide viruses in plain sight the main problem with this is that you'd have every single tag being active for that. Which would mean you'd have to stack them near a source of radio frequency emission. That would get them being pretty obvious.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Jul 7 2011, 01:50 PM
Post #3

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

I'd just say RFIDs can't do that stuff. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Too small, too special, etc.

+Quote Post
Rubic
post Jul 7 2011, 02:38 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 31,052

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Jul 7 2011, 09:50 AM) *
I'd just say RFIDs can't do that stuff. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Too small, too special, etc.

seconded. You're better off using an RFID grenade to toss up AR advertising in a cluster to impede pursuit.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Jul 7 2011, 02:55 PM
Post #5

Advocatus Diaboli

If you want massive computing power, just use nexi and commlinks.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Jul 7 2011, 03:50 PM
Post #6

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (Rubic @ Jul 7 2011, 08:38 AM) *
seconded. You're better off using an RFID grenade to toss up AR advertising in a cluster to impede pursuit.

And how, exactly, do you see that impeding pursuit. Passive and Hidden Modes would completely ignore such things. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wobble.gif)

+Quote Post
KCKitsune
post Jul 7 2011, 04:38 PM
Post #7

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 15,665

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Jul 7 2011, 11:50 AM) *
And how, exactly, do you see that impeding pursuit. Passive and Hidden Modes would completely ignore such things. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wobble.gif)

Also Firewall 6 might block out some of that shit... it is an unwanted intrusion into your system.

+Quote Post
Rubic
post Jul 7 2011, 07:10 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Toss it up in a crowded/spammed area to cause a commotion, not in the middle of a factory. Not all work takes place in the middle of a secluded underground facility, after all. If you have the access codes for the pursuit's secure frequency/channel, you should be able to program that into the AR projection on the RFIDs, after all (the higher quality would be better). This falls under the scope of "The enemy isn't perfect."

If the enemy IS perfect, and knows everything your characters have already planned in impenetrably secure locations, then you need a new GM or to tell him to back off of the omniscience. If not, then you're not playing a game, per se, so much as your GM's ego.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Jul 7 2011, 08:43 PM
Post #9

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (Rubic @ Jul 7 2011, 01:10 PM) *
Toss it up in a crowded/spammed area to cause a commotion, not in the middle of a factory. Not all work takes place in the middle of a secluded underground facility, after all. If you have the access codes for the pursuit's secure frequency/channel, you should be able to program that into the AR projection on the RFIDs, after all (the higher quality would be better). This falls under the scope of "The enemy isn't perfect."

If the enemy IS perfect, and knows everything your characters have already planned in impenetrably secure locations, then you need a new GM or to tell him to back off of the omniscience. If not, then you're not playing a game, per se, so much as your GM's ego.

It has nothing to do with being Perfect, Rubic. It has to do with natural precautions that a Runner takes, let alone a Corporation in a Remote, Secure Facility. I would not plan my defenses for a game based on what a player would do to circumvent them. I would plan my defenses based upon the knowledge of the security chief/team, and the budget that comes with the facilitry in question.

As far as the AR Grenade/Bomb goes... that is just a waste of time for most, if not all, situations. Viral AR Spam exists in Shadowrun, and it is not generally an issue for serious 'Runners, and only a minor annoyance for the less experienced 'Runners (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Rubic
post Jul 7 2011, 09:50 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Jul 7 2011, 03:43 PM) *
It has nothing to do with being Perfect, Rubic. It has to do with natural precautions that a Runner takes, let alone a Corporation in a Remote, Secure Facility. I would not plan my defenses for a game based on what a player would do to circumvent them. I would plan my defenses based upon the knowledge of the security chief/team, and the budget that comes with the facilitry in question.

As far as the AR Grenade/Bomb goes... that is just a waste of time for most, if not all, situations. Viral AR Spam exists in Shadowrun, and it is not generally an issue for serious 'Runners, and only a minor annoyance for the less experienced 'Runners (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

This does not mean it isn't a trouble for somebody who is not expecting it, in, say, downtown Seattle, on his way home from work. It could provide a crucial distraction while a person is yoinked inside a building or to set up an assassination. Have the hacker create a viral ad that bypasses filters (could be as easy as misrepresenting the ad's type), and you suddenly have an opportunity to shove a needle in that manager's neck or a knife in his side.

Other uses, bombard a gang territory with fake news that another gang has pulled one over on them/stepped on their turf, etc. More a matter of creativity. It'd never work if somebody was expecting it, or if they were in the middle of a secured facility. Note, I did say that in my prior post.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Jul 7 2011, 09:58 PM
Post #11

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (Rubic @ Jul 7 2011, 02:50 PM) *
This does not mean it isn't a trouble for somebody who is not expecting it, in, say, downtown Seattle, on his way home from work. It could provide a crucial distraction while a person is yoinked inside a building or to set up an assassination. Have the hacker create a viral ad that bypasses filters (could be as easy as misrepresenting the ad's type), and you suddenly have an opportunity to shove a needle in that manager's neck or a knife in his side.

Other uses, bombard a gang territory with fake news that another gang has pulled one over on them/stepped on their turf, etc. More a matter of creativity. It'd never work if somebody was expecting it, or if they were in the middle of a secured facility. Note, I did say that in my prior post.

Perhaps... Perhaps not. I see AR/Viral Spam as nothing more than a nuissance, and often not even that. Even today, with the sometimes hundreds of email spam I get, It has absolutely no impact. It is totally ignored. I see this as being more common than you do apparently. Probably has a lot to do with my non-use of Portable communications devices. They are just a fad, after all. They will eventually go away. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

But I will say that it could have an impact on the unsuspecting. I just do not see many as being that unsuspecting, since it is so ubiquitous in the 2070's.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Jul 7 2011, 10:01 PM
Post #12

Advocatus Diaboli

The book implies (at least) that spam is a potentially significant issue in SR4. *shrug*

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Jul 7 2011, 10:51 PM
Post #13

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Jul 7 2011, 04:01 PM) *
The book implies (at least) that spam is a potentially significant issue in SR4. *shrug*

Which can be easily circumvented by switching to passive mode (when available).

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Jul 7 2011, 10:54 PM
Post #14

Advocatus Diaboli

So? That's not the same as "nothing more than a nuissance, and often not even that". We know that spam is an issue in 2070. Not an overwhelming one, but not a non-issue either.

+Quote Post
HunterHerne
post Jul 7 2011, 11:56 PM
Post #15

Running Target

Member No.: 19,166

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Jul 7 2011, 06:54 PM) *
So? That's not the same as "nothing more than a nuissance, and often not even that". We know that spam is an issue in 2070. Not an overwhelming one, but not a non-issue either.

Unless the person has that negative quality where they can`t tell the difference between AR and reality... or AIPS.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Jul 8 2011, 12:49 AM
Post #16

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Jul 7 2011, 03:54 PM) *

And how does that even qualify as a Nuissance? I mean really, I have a Public Comlink that is on, but the feeds are disabled, so I never see them (Kind of like Voice Mail and Cell Phones today). I have a Running Comlink that is in Passive or Hidden Mode. How, exactly, am I affected by that notorious spam you keep talking about?

Oh, wait... I'm not...

Less than A Nuissance, as it never actually comes into play, unless I want it to. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wobble.gif)

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Jul 8 2011, 12:50 AM
Post #17

Advocatus Diaboli

Except we know that it's *not* "Less than A Nuissance", by definition. The book tells us it's significant. No one's talking about your character.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Jul 8 2011, 01:11 AM
Post #18

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Jul 7 2011, 05:50 PM) *
Except we know that it's *not* "Less than A Nuissance", by definition. The book tells us it's significant. No one's talking about your character.

You miss the point... It is not MY character. It is ALL Shadowrunners. To COMPLETELY avoid Viral AR Spam, all you need do is run your 'Runner 'Links in Passive or Hidden Mode, and then completely ignore anything from your civilian 'Link. Why is that so hard to understand?

Is it a problem for average Joe Wageslave? Most Likely. 'Runners are not Average Joe Wageslave.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Jul 8 2011, 01:18 AM
Post #19

Advocatus Diaboli

That's what I said: we're not talking about shadowrunners. Shadowrunners are the ones *doing* it.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Jul 8 2011, 01:22 AM
Post #20

Immortal Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 14,465

I still like my idea of a RAID-∞ memory system made up of a tremendous number of RFID tags. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Jul 8 2011, 02:11 AM
Post #21

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Jul 7 2011, 06:18 PM) *
That's what I said: we're not talking about shadowrunners. Shadowrunners are the ones *doing* it.

Yes, to other Shadowrunners or Corporate Security (or Corporate Secuity Protected Targets), who are going to know the exact same tricks of the Trade as you do. Who cares if you do it to Joe Wageslave, he is totally insignificant in 99.99% of the cases.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Jul 8 2011, 02:17 AM
Post #22

Advocatus Diaboli

*shrug* I wasn't aware we were talking about corpsec. Didn't he say 'chased by gangers'? Sorry.

+Quote Post
Udoshi
post Jul 8 2011, 02:29 AM
Post #23

Runner

Member No.: 17,566

QUOTE (CanRay @ Jul 7 2011, 07:22 PM) *
I still like my idea of a RAID-∞ memory system made up of a tremendous number of RFID tags. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

I'll see you your RFID Raids, and raise you some Smartgrenade Clusters.

For when you need Really, REALLY deniable computing resources.

... pretty sure they have better matrix stats too.

+Quote Post
suoq
post Jul 8 2011, 03:12 AM
Post #24

Running Target

Member No.: 18,746

I must be missing something here. Someone help me.

1) We're talking an AR grenade here, correct?
2) Which requires either hacking a bunch of commlinks (in which case you don't need the AR grenande) or the commlinks set on active.
3) And requires an active visual PAN (cybereyes, goggles, glasses, contacts) being used by the pursuers.

The pursuers, whomever they are, are chasing someone while their active commlinks are displaying everything including the ads coming in though their visual PAN.

This doesn't fall under "The enemy isn't perfect." This falls under "The enemy is incompetent".

Whatever happened to flashbangs?

+Quote Post
phlapjack77
post Jul 8 2011, 03:38 AM
Post #25

Runner

Member No.: 18,611

QUOTE (Rubic @ Jul 8 2011, 03:10 AM) *
Toss it up in a crowded/spammed area to cause a commotion, not in the middle of a factory.

So this isn't to directly affect other 'runners, or pursuers, or whoever. It's to cause a "scene" in a crowded area with many normal people who are likely to be affected by the AR spam.

As far as this goes, seems like it could be sorta effective, maybe more subtle than a flashbang, esp. since the pursuers will be blocking the "grenade's" effects and won't know why everyone around them is suddenly spazzing out...

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 01:12 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.