IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Oh, Those Corps Are It Again and Again, The 5 Most Horrifying Things Corporations Are Taking Over
CanadianWolverin...
post Jul 9 2011, 01:13 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,309

And here is another bit of the SR fiction that is having the bad habit of becoming real, mildly covered in this Cracked article (which on some level is meant to be humorous)

http://www.cracked.com/article_19274_the-5...a_ibsrc=fanpage
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Snow_Fox
post Jul 9 2011, 04:23 PM
Post #2

Prime Runner

Member No.: 1,221

I feel so jaded, none of these made me bat an eye.

My favorite RL example is that in the early 1990's the cheif importer of Russian Vodka was the Xerox corp- yes I was working for them then. Crazy as it sounds the Russians were tyring to get into modern office equpiment and lacking hard capital paid in vodka futures.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Jul 9 2011, 04:30 PM
Post #3

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

Not even on the barrel head vodka, but vodka futures...

No wonder the world economy is the state it is...

+Quote Post
Snow_Fox
post Jul 9 2011, 04:38 PM
Post #4

Prime Runner

Don't knock it, it worked Gotta love those vodka scarfing yuppies. When I worked there Xerox shares werre going for $77 each. Now it's around $25-yeah i feel SOOOO bad about that tumble.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Jul 9 2011, 05:27 PM
Post #5

panda!

Heh, i just find the whole concept of futures trading questionable. What one is trading is not a good, but the promise to trade a certain amount at some point in the future.

Basically, trader 1 sets up a agreement with trader 2, then sell said agreement to trader 3. When the time comes, it is not trader 1 and 2 that do the exchange, but 2 and 3.

+Quote Post
Nath
post Jul 9 2011, 05:52 PM
Post #6

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,723

You're only getting half the fun. Player #2 can also sell his end of the contract to another Player #4.

Moreover, any of the four player can get an hedge over the contract with Player #5 (that is, an insurance to get a partial refund from Player #5 if vodka market value rise or fall past a certain point when the exchange comes into effect). And the hedge itself can be sold by either party to say Player #6 and Player #7.

So, your futures contract between Player #1 and Player #2 results in Player #3 delivering the amount of vodka agreed upon to Player #4 while Player #6 pays a refund on that vodka to Player #7.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Jul 9 2011, 07:48 PM
Post #7

Immortal Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 14,465

The really sad part is that I can see the Corps getting Extraterritorial Rights would actually make some of those things better. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/frown.gif)

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Jul 9 2011, 08:59 PM
Post #8

panda!

QUOTE (Nath @ Jul 9 2011, 07:52 PM) *
You're only getting half the fun. Player #2 can also sell his end of the contract to another Player #4.

Moreover, any of the four player can get an hedge over the contract with Player #5 (that is, an insurance to get a partial refund from Player #5 if vodka market value rise or fall past a certain point when the exchange comes into effect). And the hedge itself can be sold by either party to say Player #6 and Player #7.

So, your futures contract between Player #1 and Player #2 results in Player #3 delivering the amount of vodka agreed upon to Player #4 while Player #6 pays a refund on that vodka to Player #7.

I got a hankering for broker huntin...

Tho you left out some party in all this pulling a short in the middle of it all...

+Quote Post
Snow_Fox
post Jul 10 2011, 08:50 PM
Post #9

Prime Runner

When we learned this, we kind of hoped for 'free samples.' We were disappointed. But it makes a great example for SR- a company known for office equipment being the people to go to for high class vodka.- and as a connasuer I prefer Russian or Polish. French or Scandanavian might be ok for some but I think you really can taste the difference.

+Quote Post
Hound
post Jul 10 2011, 10:45 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,778

honestly I don't see what the big deal is in that article. I mean, Hospitals, Science, the Media and to some extent the Military have always been controlled by corporations, in the USA at least. So none of that is really new, at all, except for the prison thing. I don't really get what they were going for with that article.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Jul 10 2011, 11:15 PM
Post #11

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Snow_Fox @ Jul 10 2011, 03:50 PM) *
When we learned this, we kind of hoped for 'free samples.' We were disappointed. But it makes a great example for SR- a company known for office equipment being the people to go to for high class vodka.- and as a connasuer I prefer Russian or Polish. French or Scandanavian might be ok for some but I think you really can taste the difference.
I want to get my hands on some Kalashnikov Vodka, myself. Too bad they don't ship to my province. Or Ontario either. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/frown.gif)
QUOTE (Hound @ Jul 10 2011, 05:45 PM) *
honestly I don't see what the big deal is in that article. I mean, Hospitals, Science, the Media and to some extent the Military have always been controlled by corporations, in the USA at least. So none of that is really new, at all, except for the prison thing. I don't really get what they were going for with that article.
Probably trying to wake the content masses up out of their TV-induced Stupor...

+Quote Post
CanadianWolverin...
post Jul 11 2011, 04:23 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

QUOTE (Hound @ Jul 10 2011, 03:45 PM) *

Its a humour site, maybe the type of humour that writer was going for was not your thing. I like to call the type of humour that writer was going for "Saying The Emperor Has No Clothes" type humour, also known as "Mentioning The Pink Elephant In The Room", when you state something obvious that everyone else is willfully ignoring.

Comedians rely on this type of humour in alot of their acts as well.

I brought it up here because as anyone knows who likes the Shadowrun setting to play in knows that Corps taking over are a great big terrifying joke, a killing joke if you will. In a lot of ways, the Shadowrun setting wouldn't have balkanized the way it did if it were not for the actions of the corps putting undue influence on the various governments, especially the ones that had people with aspirations to democratic ideals in them - see: Resource Rush pg 24 SR4A.

IIRC, did you know that the original corps had very limited charters in the past because authorities rightly feared their growing influence and power but recognized their economic benefits. I am sure some fine fellow Dumpshocker has some more nitty gritty details to link to on that particular tid bit.

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Jul 11 2011, 04:39 PM
Post #13

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 16,392

QUOTE (Nath @ Jul 9 2011, 01:52 PM) *

Don't forget that player 1 could then buy both ends of the deal--one way or another--if they really felt like it.

+Quote Post
Blitz66
post Jul 11 2011, 09:16 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 32,605

QUOTE (CanadianWolverine @ Jul 11 2011, 04:23 PM) *
I brought it up here because as anyone knows who likes the Shadowrun setting to play in knows that Corps taking over are a great big terrifying joke, a killing joke if you will. In a lot of ways, the Shadowrun setting wouldn't have balkanized the way it did if it were not for the actions of the corps putting undue influence on the various governments, especially the ones that had people with aspirations to democratic ideals in them - see: Resource Rush pg 24 SR4A.

IIRC, did you know that the original corps had very limited charters in the past because authorities rightly feared their growing influence and power but recognized their economic benefits. I am sure some fine fellow Dumpshocker has some more nitty gritty details to link to on that particular tid bit.

You are, of course, aware that Shadowrun is a fictional setting and is in no way intended to be a textbook on economics or politics, right? And that the companies who have made the game through the years have all been incorporated, and therefore unlikely to take the "evil corporations" element of the setting seriously in a real-world sense?

Privatization happens, and it's not particularly alarming.

+Quote Post
Halinn
post Jul 11 2011, 11:01 PM
Post #15

Running Target

Member No.: 18,786

QUOTE (Draco18s @ Jul 11 2011, 06:39 PM) *
Don't forget that player 1 could then buy both ends of the deal--one way or another--if they really felt like it.

And then sell it again. The cycle begins once more.

+Quote Post
CanadianWolverin...
post Jul 12 2011, 02:40 AM
Post #16

Moving Target

QUOTE (Blitz66 @ Jul 11 2011, 02:16 PM) *
You are, of course, aware that Shadowrun is a fictional setting and is in no way intended to be a textbook on economics or politics, right? And that the companies who have made the game through the years have all been incorporated, and therefore unlikely to take the "evil corporations" element of the setting seriously in a real-world sense?

Privatization happens, and it's not particularly alarming.

Oh wait, Shadowrun is fictional!?! Mind is blown! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/twirl.gif)

Why do I get the distinct feeling I am being trolled? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rotfl.gif)

+Quote Post
Blitz66
post Jul 12 2011, 05:26 AM
Post #17

Moving Target

QUOTE (CanadianWolverine @ Jul 12 2011, 03:40 AM) *
Oh wait, Shadowrun is fictional!?! Mind is blown! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/twirl.gif)

Why do I get the distinct feeling I am being trolled? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/rotfl.gif)

Sorry. Just find your post a bit puzzling. We all like playing in the Shadowrun setting, of course, since we're all here on this forum, but just because we like a fictional setting set in a corporation-dominated dystopian future doesn't mean we "know" that "Corps taking over are a great big terrifying joke, a killing joke if you will" in the context of real life, and with the RL tag on the thread and the Cracked article, I'm assuming we're still talking about the real life implications of privatization. In reality, privatization is a pretty spiffy thing in most instances.

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Jul 12 2011, 05:29 AM
Post #18

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Blitz66 @ Jul 12 2011, 01:26 AM) *
In reality, privatization is a pretty spiffy thing in most instances.

I'm still trying to work out how privatizing a toll road increases the state's revenue (without causing toll hikes).

Or PA's reasons to privatize the state liquor stores:
1) Make the state money (aren't they losing out on the sales profit half of the equation?)
2) Liquor prices won't rise (....really? How does the state know this?)
3) Employees will stay employed and see pay raises (and how does one do that, as a private company, and make money without raising revenue?)

+Quote Post
Blitz66
post Jul 12 2011, 05:51 AM
Post #19

Moving Target

QUOTE (Draco18s @ Jul 12 2011, 06:29 AM) *
I'm still trying to work out how privatizing a toll road increases the state's revenue (without causing toll hikes).

Or PA's reasons to privatize the state liquor stores:
1) Make the state money (aren't they losing out on the sales profit half of the equation?)
2) Liquor prices won't rise (....really? How does the state know this?)
3) Employees will stay employed and see pay raises (and how does one do that, as a private company, and make money without raising revenue?)

Privatizing a toll road isn't about increasing revenue, exactly. It reduces revenue to the state. However, it's a MASSIVE reduction in expenses, for a net gain for the state, and the company makes money by simply being more efficient.

I'll provide an example of how it works. Let's look at the first thing on the list in that Cracked article - military. The US government has its own military, and yet it hires guys like DynaCorp, Blackwater, and the like. Why? Most of the guys who work for mercenary corporations are former service regular military, but now they're working as mercs hired by the government, and doing the same work, as private contractors.

The reason is that when you compare government employees and private employees, assume equal pay and equal benefits, the government employee is still VASTLY more costly to employ. For a given amount of money, the government can either use its own personnel or hire a private firm, and every time, the private firm is going to have more, better trained, and better equipped personnel for the same price, and the assumption of equal pay is never going to hold up - the private worker is paid better.

I considered mercenary work after I got out of the military, but my health was not good at the time. I never would've made the cut back then.

For similar reasons, private toll roads and liquor stores are less of a burden on the state, provide better service to people for better prices, and in the end provide a net monetary gain for the state.

Think this is my last post on the subject, though. Capitalism talk tends to get political and nasty in a hurry.

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Jul 12 2011, 01:41 PM
Post #20

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Blitz66 @ Jul 12 2011, 01:51 AM) *
Think this is my last post on the subject, though. Capitalism talk tends to get political and nasty in a hurry.

Agreed.

+Quote Post
CanadianWolverin...
post Jul 12 2011, 02:11 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

QUOTE (Blitz66 @ Jul 11 2011, 10:26 PM) *
Sorry. Just find your post a bit puzzling. We all like playing in the Shadowrun setting, of course, since we're all here on this forum, but just because we like a fictional setting set in a corporation-dominated dystopian future doesn't mean we "know" that "Corps taking over are a great big terrifying joke, a killing joke if you will" in the context of real life, and with the RL tag on the thread and the Cracked article, I'm assuming we're still talking about the real life implications of privatization. In reality, privatization is a pretty spiffy thing in most instances.

Cool, this I can work with, it doesn't insult my ability to reason and delineate between reality and fiction that makes aspirations to being close to reality in some aspects. The article is just an aspect, real world corps taking on more aspects of SR mega-corps.

So allow me to address the highlighted section of your post, I find it kinda hilarious that you acknowledge the setting is corporate dominated and dystopian but then refute that having any basis in reality, especially if you read the Cracked article ( which links to other less comical articles [if you have a dark sense of humour as well, which there is a chance of since you are interested in Shadowrun] ). Next up, my reasoning behind saying "Corps taking over are a great big terrifying joke, a killing joke if you will" is three-fold: 1) SR corps hire and kill shadowrunners, 2) SR corps rape and pillage their enviroment, thus killing everything that relies on that enviroment, 3) SR corps care only for profit and the power that brings them and damn anyone who gets in their way, often providing inferior working and living conditions and products for all but the top 1-10% in the elite class of society, most who were probably born into that and inherited it from their family if only by virtue of having access to better nutrition, education, and employment opportunities.

SR corps taking over led to a resource rush, that caused food shortages, riots, massive scaling back of civil rights, and open rebellion. The return of magic was just icing on that dystopian cake.

Now, if you can look in the well researched, corroborated investigative articles we have access to now via the internet and see the corps rise to power in our own world and the results that lack of public oversight, accountability, and restrictions/regulations has brought about due to the corps stated goals as " greed being good" and not see some similarities between the real and the fictional, well, enjoy the Fox approved koolaid and BTL chipsets. I'll just head back to my slum like a good SiNless...

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Jul 12 2011, 02:41 PM
Post #22

panda!

QUOTE (CanadianWolverine @ Jul 12 2011, 04:11 PM) *
SR corps taking over led to a resource rush, that caused food shortages, riots, massive scaling back of civil rights, and open rebellion. The return of magic was just icing on that dystopian cake.

And even with the advent of magic, it only gave the rebels the ability to cause a stalemate rather then a rollback of the Corporate powers. And with the advent of aptitude screening in school and the hermetic way, the corporations where able to harness the power of magic for their own use.

+Quote Post
Snow_Fox
post Jul 12 2011, 03:23 PM
Post #23

Prime Runner

PA privatizing liquor is a whole other issue. PA owns all the stores except for locally made wine and I guess some beers. They have all the control but the idea of letting other people open stores or sell beer at liquor stores is trying to loosen it up. Ultimately there would be more sales meaning more tax revenue and the state wuld not have to pay for the beurocracy. Remember that's why evil villains don't realyl want to openly rule, they don't want to get hung up in the minutea of running stuff.

As Tom Baker's Doctor Who said on occassions :
"You can't stay in hiuding for ever, you have to comeo ut occassional and wave a tneacle"
and
"What do you want? To rule the universe? You wouldn't know what to do with it except shout at it.'

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Jul 12 2011, 03:53 PM
Post #24

Immortal Elf

Hell, I don't even need to rule the universe to shout at it. Much more efficient!

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Jul 12 2011, 03:53 PM
Post #25

Immortal Elf

I'd like to point out that I'm in favor of prioritizing the liquor stores, I just can't figure out how the math works.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:04 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.