Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Metahumanity and the regions, or: are the "standard" races still standard
Aku
post Jul 16 2011, 11:29 PM
Post #1

Running, running, running

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,769

Where theres an established meta variant in RC? For instance, RC lists Ork variants for the middle east, Mediterranean, European, and Japanese. Is it safe to assume that, in their respective areas, they make up the majority of the regions meta humanity? or are they still a variant of the parent race?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
HunterHerne
post Jul 16 2011, 11:43 PM
Post #2

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 19,166

Variants. They are not the majority, except in very few places. And I can't think of where those places are off the top of my head.

+Quote Post
Aku
post Jul 16 2011, 11:51 PM
Post #3

well, for instance rc says the following:

Hobgoblins are stereotyped as an ill-humored and surly ork
variant, native to the Middle East.

Ogres are a burly European variant

just as a few examples...

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Jul 17 2011, 12:01 AM
Post #4

The ShadowComedian

Member No.: 13,525

Giants, North European/Scandinavian Troll-Meta-Variant.
Cyclops and Minotaur, both Greek. Fomori are Irish.
Satyrs are, i think, spanish/italian or something like that.
Oni are asian orks. Or Japanese Orks, to be more precise.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Jul 17 2011, 12:03 AM
Post #5

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 14,465

Giant Death Metal Groups tend not to be mobbed by fans. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
Aku
post Jul 17 2011, 12:09 AM
Post #6

QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Jul 16 2011, 07:01 PM) *
Giants, North European/Scandinavian Troll-Meta-Variant.
Cyclops and Minotaur, both Greek. Fomori are Irish.
Satyrs are, i think, spanish/italian or something like that.
Oni are asian orks. Or Japanese Orks, to be more precise.

So, are you advocating that for a variant that has a listed region,they are the dominate species for that area, for their species?In other words, are there fewer "orks" in japan then Oni?

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Jul 17 2011, 12:22 AM
Post #7

Immortal Elf

Considering the draconian nature that the Japanese had on the Goblinized peoples, they're both in a major minority. They were sent to a drekhole of a island, IIRC... And having one in the family was proof of "Tainted Blood" and a major loss of face.

+Quote Post
HunterHerne
post Jul 17 2011, 12:29 AM
Post #8

Running Target

But, the Oni would be fewer then the baseline Orks. Keep in mind that SURGE and the additional variants only appeared in 2061, just over a decade ago.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Jul 17 2011, 12:30 AM
Post #9

Immortal Elf

Furries of the Sixth World, Unite!!!

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Jul 17 2011, 12:49 AM
Post #10

The ShadowComedian

Member No.: 13,525

QUOTE (Aku @ Jul 17 2011, 02:09 AM) *
So, are you advocating that for a variant that has a listed region,they are the dominate species for that area, for their species?In other words, are there fewer "orks" in japan then Oni?
Why not, if it fits your view of the world . . .

QUOTE (CanRay @ Jul 17 2011, 02:22 AM) *
Considering the draconian nature that the Japanese had on the Goblinized peoples, they're both in a major minority. They were sent to a drekhole of a island, IIRC... And having one in the family was proof of "Tainted Blood" and a major loss of face.

Yomi. Name of the Island. Basically, the japanese Auschwitz but for Metahumans. Yomi is the japanese name for the Underworld and was used for a reason.

+Quote Post
Blitz66
post Jul 17 2011, 01:17 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 32,605

I believe the RC describes this for most variants, even if it is in very broad strokes. The variants, if I recall, are a minority even among the source race in the region they're from, with few exceptions. I think the best number a variant has is around half of the source race, in one instance. Can't recall the variant, race, or region, though, and I don't have access to my books, so I could be mistaken. Mind you, this struck me as something you could easily, seamlessly change to fit your preferences. Probably would increase the percentages for my own use, for a more profound regional/ethnic feel.

+Quote Post
Aku
post Jul 17 2011, 01:21 AM
Post #12

@Blitz Thats sorta how i viewed it. If you're going to claim that a variant is "from" a certain region, you'd think thatthey'd be the dominate version in that region... I guess a good example might be the polar bear... they're polar bears because well, thats where they live, and they're the majority bear in those regions (i believe brown and black bears also roam on the outskirts, at least but not in the numbers that the polar bear is)

+Quote Post
HunterHerne
post Jul 17 2011, 01:48 AM
Post #13

Running Target

QUOTE (Aku @ Jul 16 2011, 10:21 PM) *
@Blitz Thats sorta how i viewed it. If you're going to claim that a variant is "from" a certain region, you'd think thatthey'd be the dominate version in that region... I guess a good example might be the polar bear... they're polar bears because well, thats where they live, and they're the majority bear in those regions (i believe brown and black bears also roam on the outskirts, at least but not in the numbers that the polar bear is)

I believe Cyclopes are actually more common in Greece then baseline Trolls. And Fomori in the UK. But, Trolls are rare enough already.

Polar bears are also extinct in the SR fluff. At least, in the wild. I recall reading that Evo is trying to re-introduce them, but then there are bigger things up there now... like a few dragons.

+Quote Post
Blitz66
post Jul 17 2011, 01:51 AM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 32,605

QUOTE (Aku @ Jul 17 2011, 02:21 AM) *

I can follow the official justification. These new races are new, and haven't had time to come to regional prominence. Plus, as variants on base populations, it makes sense that small percentages changed to the new subraces. Polar bears didn't go from nonexistent to regionally dominant in ten years either. But if you want to play with subraces among the general populace, with NPCs to showcase them, you have to boost numbers, logical or no. Metavariants as-is are rare enough that most runners in most games will never see one, which is a waste if you like them in the setting.

+Quote Post
Starglyte
post Jul 17 2011, 01:56 AM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,317

The RC usually tells you if the variant is dominant in the region. For example, it says on page 51 that the Oni is the dominant Orc in Japan. The Satry is dominant in Greece, Orks are dominant in Europe but the Ogres and Hobgoblins have large populations.

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Jul 17 2011, 04:25 AM
Post #16

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

The good thing about the old U.S. being a melting pot is that you can justify nearly any metatype being born locally, rather than having to explain why So-and-so the haruman left his native India to head to Seattle (although you still have that option if you want it).

+Quote Post
ggodo
post Jul 17 2011, 04:31 AM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 21,972

And that's the best part of Seattle as a setting, everything fits!

That and half my players are from there.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Jul 17 2011, 05:37 AM
Post #18

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Glyph @ Jul 16 2011, 11:25 PM) *
The good thing about the old U.S. being a melting pot is that you can justify nearly any metatype being born locally, rather than having to explain why So-and-so the haruman left his native India to head to Seattle (although you still have that option if you want it).
And don't forget Multicultural Canada. Just as much as the US, with even more of the original culture and language (Heavily corrupted admittedly) included.

That Minotaur that just cursed at you in Greek? He's actually from Toronto. Nice guy, his family runs a company that washes windows.

+Quote Post
HunterHerne
post Jul 17 2011, 12:00 PM
Post #19

Running Target

QUOTE (CanRay @ Jul 17 2011, 01:37 AM) *
And don't forget Multicultural Canada. Just as much as the US, with even more of the original culture and language (Heavily corrupted admittedly) included.

That Minotaur that just cursed at you in Greek? He's actually from Toronto. Nice guy, his family runs a company that washes windows.

That is very true. Especially in Ontario and BC. The BC part of that may be different with the NAN control in SR, but I`m guessing not so much.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Jul 17 2011, 03:00 PM
Post #20

Immortal Elf

Well, the NAN had a very loose definition of "Native American", which included anyone with even a touch of Hispanic blood for example, so there's a good chance Vancouver is still a massive pot of multiple peoples at the very least.

Winnipeg is the same way, I literally lose count of the number of languages I hear walking down the street downtown, and I can count pretty high.

Oh, and Sthal, sorry for the lateness, but thank you, Yomi Island was indeed what I was thinking of! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Grinchy McScroog...
post Jul 17 2011, 03:15 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 33,321

The Salish-Sidhe originally disenfranchised the non-Natives, but eventually allowed metahumans to settle there and form there own "pinkskin" tribes. Hence the large ork tribe in Northern BC.

As for Toronto, I'm still in the midst of trying to write up my Target: Toronto, especially since Attitude completely ignored it, but it's safe to say that if it's a race or culture, that there will definitely be at least a representative minority population (e.g. meta-variants, criminal syndicates, religious beliefs, magical tradition, etc).

+Quote Post
Aku
post Jul 17 2011, 03:20 PM
Post #22

Well, the original impetus of this question is that I'm making a mage, and i was looking at some of the religious backgrounds for my tradition. Unfortunately for me, all the religions use intuition, and all of the races with mideast/asian variants, have a negative for intuition, except monkey dwarf, which is just too weird for my taste.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Jul 17 2011, 03:27 PM
Post #23

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Grinchy McScrooge @ Jul 17 2011, 10:15 AM) *
The Salish-Sidhe originally disenfranchised the non-Natives, but eventually allowed metahumans to settle there and form there own "pinkskin" tribes. Hence the large ork tribe in Northern BC.

As for Toronto, I'm still in the midst of trying to write up my Target: Toronto, especially since Attitude completely ignored it, but it's safe to say that if it's a race or culture, that there will definitely be at least a representative minority population (e.g. meta-variants, criminal syndicates, religious beliefs, magical tradition, etc).
I loves me the Cascade Orks. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Large cities in what's left of Canada and the US probably were filled to overflowing with displaced "Anglos" after the NAN did the Texas Two-Step Ghost Dance all over the place. "Go back to where you came from!" "Plymouth Rock landed on me! This is where I came from!"

+Quote Post
Grinchy McScroog...
post Jul 17 2011, 03:42 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 33,321

QUOTE (CanRay @ Jul 17 2011, 11:27 AM) *
I loves me the Cascade Orks. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Large cities in what's left of Canada and the US probably were filled to overflowing with displaced "Anglos" after the NAN did the Texas Two-Step Ghost Dance all over the place. "Go back to where you came from!" "Plymouth Rock landed on me! This is where I came from!"

Thanks! For some reason, couldn't remember Cascade Orks, even though I've spent the last week reading up on Salish-Sidhe, as I was building a character for my wife from there. I blame lack of coffee. *facepalm*

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Jul 17 2011, 04:00 PM
Post #25

Immortal Elf

I love that they built their own T-Bird design, even if I have to come up with different fluff reasons as to why it went into production officially at least...

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 10th May 2024 - 08:23 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.