IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Technos and black ice, Why dont i usually see it on builds discussed in the forums?
onlyghostdancesw...
post Jul 18 2011, 04:09 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,844

As it says on the tin, why dont we see them as CFs or is it just one that ppl thread since the stealth rolls are usually so high you can avoid a fight?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Miri
post Jul 18 2011, 04:15 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 32,769

My GM is making detection rolls cumulative just because I can thread Stealth up to 8 or 9, so I intend to pick up some Black ICE soonest.

+Quote Post
onlyghostdancesw...
post Jul 18 2011, 04:33 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

ok another (retarded) question: i seem to remember they can but cant find a ruling: technomancer cfs and options yes or no?

+Quote Post
Kyrel
post Jul 18 2011, 04:43 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,583

QUOTE (onlyghostdanceswhiledrunk @ Jul 18 2011, 06:33 PM) *
ok another (retarded) question: i seem to remember they can but cant find a ruling: technomancer cfs and options yes or no?

Yes they can. It's in Unwired. Can't remember the page, but I'd suspect it's under the Technomancer section. As I recall, each option takes a success on the Threading roll.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Jul 18 2011, 04:43 PM
Post #5

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

IC are agents. You have Sprites. ("Agents, IC, and autosofts may not be learned or used by technomancers.")

Options have their own rules, but yes, they can be CF-purchased, and threaded. Unwired p136 and p148.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Jul 18 2011, 05:13 PM
Post #6

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Jul 18 2011, 10:43 AM) *
IC are agents. You have Sprites. ("Agents, IC, and autosofts may not be learned or used by technomancers.")

Options have their own rules, but yes, they can be CF-purchased, and threaded. Unwired p136 and p148.

But Blackout and BlackHammer are just Black programs, so they are perfectly useable. Not sure he really meant IC. Could be wrong, though. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
onlyghostdancesw...
post Jul 18 2011, 05:18 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

so i can do a Data bomb cf with biofeedback and psychotropic options (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/vegm.gif)

+Quote Post
onlyghostdancesw...
post Jul 18 2011, 05:18 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Jul 18 2011, 10:13 AM) *
But Blackout and BlackHammer are just Black programs, so they are perfectly useable. Not sure he really meant IC. Could be wrong, though. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

yeah meant the progs not IC technically sry.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Jul 18 2011, 05:22 PM
Post #9

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (onlyghostdanceswhiledrunk @ Jul 18 2011, 11:18 AM) *
so i can do a Data bomb cf with biofeedback and psychotropic options (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/vegm.gif)

Correct... A "Black Pit" CF is acceptable... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Jul 18 2011, 05:22 PM
Post #10

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (onlyghostdanceswhiledrunk @ Jul 18 2011, 11:18 AM) *
yeah meant the progs not IC technically sry.

What I thought... No Worries... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
DWC
post Jul 18 2011, 08:42 PM
Post #11

Shooting Target

Member No.: 13,526

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Jul 18 2011, 01:22 PM) *
Correct... A "Black Pit" CF is acceptable... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Not only is it acceptable, it's probably second only to HMMVV when it comes to guaranteed kills. Threading a data bomb up to R9 means the poor sod who triggers it gets to take 9d6 boxes, for an average of 31 boxes of physical damage. You Hand of God or your die.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Jul 18 2011, 08:47 PM
Post #12

Advocatus Diaboli

As if Data Bombs weren't already incredible overpowered. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Miri
post Jul 18 2011, 09:00 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 32,769

Yeah gods but Data Bombs are scary for Technomancers.. getting hit by one of those.. even if it is just a Plain Jane Matrix Damage bomb.. is going to HURT!

+Quote Post
onlyghostdancesw...
post Jul 19 2011, 05:39 AM
Post #14

Moving Target

QUOTE (Miri @ Jul 18 2011, 02:00 PM) *
Yeah gods but Data Bombs are scary for Technomancers.. getting hit by one of those.. even if it is just a Plain Jane Matrix Damage bomb.. is going to HURT!

send in the cannon fodd... ahem sprites first is my motto.

+Quote Post
onlyghostdancesw...
post Jul 19 2011, 05:41 AM
Post #15

Moving Target

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Jul 18 2011, 01:47 PM) *
As if Data Bombs weren't already incredible overpowered. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

yes but then again i tend to have the mo of swatting flies with automatic grenade launchers... gotta be sure you got them after all (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
LurkerOutThere
post Jul 19 2011, 05:46 AM
Post #16

Runner

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 17,234

Well as a techno you can't really databomb, databomb has to remain ont he system it's running on, since the only system you can run things on is you databombs complex formsare really only going to be useful against other resonant beings trying to hack your biological node.

+Quote Post
onlyghostdancesw...
post Jul 19 2011, 05:48 AM
Post #17

Moving Target

QUOTE (LurkerOutThere @ Jul 18 2011, 10:46 PM) *
Well as a techno you can't really databomb, databomb has to remain ont he system it's running on, since the only system you can run things on is you databombs complex formsare really only going to be useful against other resonant beings trying to hack your biological node.

I read it as being able to leave one on a file just as a normal one? After all sprites etc can run on other nodes. They just differ in how they are created.

+Quote Post
LurkerOutThere
post Jul 19 2011, 06:13 AM
Post #18

Runner

A sprite is it's own specialized ball of fun. It's like your personna. Databombing files is the one thing that is actually by the rules closed to you, realistically it's closed to almost everyone as is order to leave a databomb on something you have to be able to upload a copy of the databomb application tot he target system and leave it running.

Think of it this way, databomb is the equivalent of leaving a physical bomb behind, as a technomancer none of your stuff with the exception of sprites stays behind or even works outside of the presence of your virtual avatar. Therefore nod databomb complex form.

+Quote Post
LurkerOutThere
post Jul 19 2011, 07:40 AM
Post #19

Runner

Ya know i actually went and read through the book, and I'm spinning a yarn up there. By the rules there's nothing to prevent anyone from setting an unlimited number of databombs wherever. So a complex form of Data Bomb should cover things nicely. I'm a little disappointed by this fact.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Jul 19 2011, 12:52 PM
Post #20

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (LurkerOutThere @ Jul 19 2011, 12:40 AM) *
Ya know i actually went and read through the book, and I'm spinning a yarn up there. By the rules there's nothing to prevent anyone from setting an unlimited number of databombs wherever. So a complex form of Data Bomb should cover things nicely. I'm a little disappointed by this fact.

Don't worry about it. There is really no reason that the Technomancer Databomb should not work the same way as a Hacker Databomb. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) There are already enough differences that you don't have to go inventing new ones. *shrug*

+Quote Post
LurkerOutThere
post Jul 19 2011, 01:10 PM
Post #21

Runner

It's not so much a matter of the technomancer, more that there's no by the book limitations on where and when you can set a databomb. Lets say i hack into a system, by the rules I hack into said system I can lay a databomb on the system itself. Then when i trigger an ARC the oncoming security hackers hit the databomb, if they don't know the password I set and don't prescan their own system they likely hit the databomb I set. That has the potential to turn databomb from a defensive trap to an offensive weapon.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Jul 19 2011, 01:13 PM
Post #22

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (LurkerOutThere @ Jul 19 2011, 06:10 AM) *
It's not so much a matter of the technomancer, more that there's no by the book limitations on where and when you can set a databomb. Lets say i hack into a system, by the rules I hack into said system I can lay a databomb on the system itself. Then when i trigger an ARC the oncoming security hackers hit the databomb, if they don't know the password I set and don't prescan their own system they likely hit the databomb I set. That has the potential to turn databomb from a defensive trap to an offensive weapon.

Which applies to both Normal Hackers and Technomancers, regardless of location. In fact, this is standard practice for Corps in our campaign. Corp personnel (who have access to the node) have the codes, and anyone else does not. Any hacking attempt usually ends badly for the hacker if he forgets to check for any Databombs and disable them.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Jul 19 2011, 01:19 PM
Post #23

Advocatus Diaboli

I'm sure Technos can use a Databomb CF. The Databomb program leaves databomb files behind, so there's no issue of 'the program not working while you're gone'; the program was already used.

+Quote Post
HunterHerne
post Jul 19 2011, 01:20 PM
Post #24

Running Target

Member No.: 19,166

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Jul 19 2011, 09:13 AM) *
Which applies to both Normal Hackers and Technomancers, regardless of location. In fact, this is standard practice for Corps in our campaign. Corp personnel (who have access to the node) have the codes, and anyone else does not. Any hacking attempt usually ends badly for the hacker if he forgets to check for any Databombs and disable them.

Not a bad idea. I've largely been overlooking Databombs, they seemed too weak (single use program)

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Jul 19 2011, 01:30 PM
Post #25

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (HunterHerne @ Jul 19 2011, 06:20 AM) *
Not a bad idea. I've largely been overlooking Databombs, they seemed too weak (single use program)

With the Pavlov Option, they go off, and then reset. Now they are no longer a Single Use program. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 03:04 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.