Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Limited Spells after learning?, also critter questions
mmmkay
post Aug 8 2011, 10:31 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,390

Is it possible to attune to a fetish after learning a spell without limitation?

I'm asking because I was tossing around the idea of an awakened pet with the innate spell ability. So clearly when you get the pet they innately know a spell, so I figure they wouldn't be able to relearn a limited version of the same spell to benefit from a fetish?

Similarly running wild didn't explicitly mention teaching an animal to specialize or increase attributes, so would either of those be impossible? I'm leaning towards specialization is possible and of moderate complexity (if it is a natural skill), but I suspect increasing attributes is unreasonable because then it somewhat negates the value of warforms.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
HunterHerne
post Aug 8 2011, 10:47 AM
Post #2

Running Target

Member No.: 19,166

QUOTE (mmmkay @ Aug 8 2011, 07:31 AM) *

I'm asking because I was tossing around the idea of an awakened pet with the innate spell ability. So clearly when you get the pet they innately know a spell, so I figure they wouldn't be able to relearn a limited version of the same spell to benefit from a fetish?

Similarly running wild didn't explicitly mention teaching an animal to specialize or increase attributes, so would either of those be impossible? I'm leaning towards specialization is possible and of moderate complexity (if it is a natural skill), but I suspect increasing attributes is unreasonable because then it somewhat negates the value of warforms.

The way I read it, is that it is possible to increase attributes the same way skills can be increased, by a maximum of 2 above what is available. This would apply to Warforms, as well, as the increased attribute of the warform could be "trained" higher beyond.
I don't think specialization should be possible for non-sapient animals. It implies that animals can focus on training something, which they can't, by definition, even if forced.

+Quote Post
Dahrken
post Aug 8 2011, 10:57 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 17,693

QUOTE (mmmkay @ Aug 8 2011, 12:31 PM) *

I don't think so as the fetish-linked spell is a different spell from the non-fetish spell of the same name and effect.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Aug 8 2011, 12:44 PM
Post #4

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

Ignoring all questions of animals learning spells and attributes… pets can't use foci in the first place, right? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
HunterHerne
post Aug 8 2011, 01:01 PM
Post #5

Running Target

Member No.: 19,166

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Aug 8 2011, 09:44 AM) *
Ignoring all questions of animals learning spells and attributes… pets can't use foci in the first place, right? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

This is true. Nor fetishes (though I guess an argument could be made for dog collars... not a good argument, but an argument)

+Quote Post
mmmkay
post Aug 8 2011, 09:47 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Aug 8 2011, 04:44 AM) *

Not sure about this first place business as foci and fetishes are different. And most critters cannot bond to foci because they are not magicians. The only reason fetishes seem to not work is that critters don't seem to learn spells they just know them innately (for the most part). Some exceptions include oracle owls who can upon gamemaster discretion can perform any detection spell and the merlin hawk which can cast any detection or illusion spell. Running wild gives no indication that critters can learn spells, which makes sense.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Aug 9 2011, 03:22 AM
Post #7

Advocatus Diaboli

*shrug* Foci, fetishes; either way, you have to be a magician and consciously attune them, which just isn't something an animal can do.

+Quote Post
mmmkay
post Aug 9 2011, 08:22 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Aug 8 2011, 08:22 PM) *
*shrug* Foci, fetishes; either way, you have to be a magician and consciously attune them, which just isn't something an animal can do.

Where does it say that fetishes require you to be a magician? Evidence or it didn't happen.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Aug 9 2011, 08:28 PM
Post #9

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

I would think that this is sufficient...

QUOTE (SR4A, Foci Section, Page 199)
Foci are magic items, astral constructs embedded within physical objects. Foci act as pools of power that a magician can draw on to help accomplish a magical task. A focus must be bound to a magician before it can be of any assistance to him.

+Quote Post
mmmkay
post Aug 9 2011, 09:44 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Aug 9 2011, 01:28 PM) *
I would think that this is sufficient...

Fetishes are not foci, but since TJ and I cannot read: "When learning a spell, a magician may choose to accept limitations... "(p.182 SR4a)

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Aug 9 2011, 09:50 PM
Post #11

Advocatus Diaboli

Glad you found it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Foci and fetishes, while not the same thing, are definitely in the same category of 'conscious, bonded magical aids'.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Aug 9 2011, 09:51 PM
Post #12

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (mmmkay @ Aug 9 2011, 03:44 PM) *
Fetishes are not foci, but since TJ and I cannot read: "When learning a spell, a magician may choose to accept limitations... "(p.182 SR4a)

I was referring specifically to Foci, as Fetishes are pretty self explanatory, as you point out. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
TheOOB
post Aug 13 2011, 09:07 AM
Post #13

Running Target

Member No.: 10,749

Don't think of it as attuning to a fetish for a bonus, think of it as a magician learning an easier version of a spell that requires a certain fetish in order to cast.

Anything that uses magic innately isn't going to need accessories to use their abilities.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:12 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.