IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Shadowrun Novels, Are there any decent ones?
Tziluthi
post Mar 31 2004, 02:00 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,112

Wanting a different perspective on the shadowrun universe, I've had a look at a few of the Shadowrun novels, expecting a dark, cyber-punkish, scifi atmosphere which will give inspiration for the tone and setting for my shadowrun games. So far, after reading two and starting on another, I've found only disappointment, not only in the creation of a cyber-punk atmosphere, but in the general quality of the writing. So, dumpshockers, are there actually any decent shadowrun novels out? Which ones would you suggest? And, while we're on the topic, which sci-fi novels, do you feel, define the cyber-punk genre?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
mfb
post Mar 31 2004, 02:12 AM
Post #2

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

look for Nigel Findley. i'd also reccomend Into the Shadows--it's a collection of short stories that give a relatively grim, street-level view of SR.

and, for the love of god, don't read Shadowboxer.

+Quote Post
Panzergeist
post Mar 31 2004, 03:13 AM
Post #3

Running Target

Member No.: 5,676

Shadowboxer was pretty neat, if you don't mind the fact that the plot jerked around and there wasn't a conclusive ending. What was the name of the one with the team leader named Rico and the Racoon shaman named Bandit? That was my favorite one.

+Quote Post
danbot37
post Mar 31 2004, 03:49 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,137

yes nigel findley, definitely good. Tom Dowd requires more careful, attentitive reading, but is also very good.

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Mar 31 2004, 05:13 AM
Post #5

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

I have enjoyed most of them. I mean, they're not great literature or anything, and work best if you're already passing familiar with the setting. Mason did reviews, I think, so I'll nae offer. Go check out wiredreflexes.com, DV8's site, to find them I think. He has all the cool stuff anyways.

+Quote Post
Dax
post Mar 31 2004, 05:40 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,013

I personally liked the novel "The Burning Time" and "The Forever Drug". I found both of them entertaining, and relatively well written. I'd suggest giving them a try.

+Quote Post
Casper
post Mar 31 2004, 11:31 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,002

In my opinion I think alot of the SR novels came up short. But the best of the ones that I have read would come down to the Secrets of Power trilage, The Black Madonna, and Night's Pawn. I really do miss Tom Dowds' style of fiction in SR. He really helped to capture alot of the grittie feeling that is missing these days.

+Quote Post
Quix
post Mar 31 2004, 11:39 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,764

Panzergeist,
You're looking for 'Fade to Black', 'Stripper Assassin', and 'Who Hunts the Hunter' all by Nyx Smith. And I agree, these 3 aling with 'Into the Shadows' are my favorites.

+Quote Post
Garland
post Mar 31 2004, 03:42 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,043

Psychotrope

That novel actually made me want to use the Matrix (which previously I could make no sense of). The Idiot's Guide thread gave me the know-how to do so.

+Quote Post
fourstring_samur...
post Mar 31 2004, 06:37 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,912

definitely Nigel Findley's books. they're pretty gritty, and give you a good look at the sprawl from the streets' point of view. also, he died while final editing his last book "house of the sun". You can actually tell were the final edit left off, because the ubiquitous "frag" reverted to "fuck".

+Quote Post
Shadow
post Mar 31 2004, 07:35 PM
Post #11

Why oh why didn't I take the blue pill.

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 2,006

Wolf and Raven, is an excellent anthology by a long time Battletech author Michael Stackpole. It is probably my favorite book, I wish he would do more with the lycanthropy infected detective.

+Quote Post
FlakJacket
post Mar 31 2004, 10:47 PM
Post #12

King of the Hobos

Member No.: 127

QUOTE (Ancient History)
Mason did reviews, I think.  Go check out wiredreflexes.com, DV8's site, to find them I think.  He has all the cool stuff anyways.

Mason's reviews hosted courtesy of Deev. Only covers the first nineteen novels, well I say only, though.

+Quote Post
Kesh
post Apr 1 2004, 05:41 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,958

Burning Bright is the story of Chicago just prior to and after the bug outbreak in Chicago, including the Cermak blast. Very good reading if you want to set up a Bug City campaign.

+Quote Post
Tatertot
post Apr 17 2004, 06:03 PM
Post #14

Target

Member No.: 6,203

There were only 4 Shadowrun books that I enjoyed. They were The Secrets of Power Trilogy and Changling. The rest came across as very amaturistic.

+Quote Post
L.D
post Apr 17 2004, 07:38 PM
Post #15

Harlequin

Member No.: 861

I'd like to agree with Tatertot, but also add 2XS, Lone Wolf and House of the Sun. The last three written by Nigel D. Findley and in a great way capture what happens when a runner stumbles across something that's way out of his league. Which actually makes it seven books, not four. :)

Edit: How could I forget Kenson! The books written by him are great as well.

This post has been edited by L.D: Apr 17 2004, 08:10 PM

+Quote Post
shadd4d
post Apr 17 2004, 07:50 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,230

Nyx Smith never really did much for me. I guess I never liked his style. It always seemed like a mix of Barth and Joyce that didn't really deliver at the end. Interesting plots, but very...disjointed.

The two Jack Skater novels by Mel Odom aren't bad; Run Hard, Die Fast is a bit over the top, though.

Don

+Quote Post
Guest_Crimsondude 2.0_*
post Apr 17 2004, 11:45 PM
Post #17

Guests

Except that Skater isn't in it.

And calling RHDF "a bit over the top" is an understatement. It's a munchkin's wet dream.

+Quote Post
kevyn668
post Apr 18 2004, 12:45 AM
Post #18

Runner

Member No.: 5,375

I gotta go w/ "2XS" as my favorite. Seconded by "Preying for Keeps" and "Headhunters".

The Dragonheart Trilogy was pretty good too, IMO.

"Wolf and Raven" is very good as well, in both style and the author's ability at storycraft. But if you are one those readers that tries to find game mechanics in the novel, stear clear. You'll drive yourself mad.

As long as we're critiquing: The Secrets of Power trilogy was gritty for a while but went haywire from time to time. And I think Sam Verner is a sissy.

Changeling was a good read but the lead up to and then the end itself was ridiculous. It does give some valuable insight into the lives of the Goblinized and street life.

Any of the books w/ Talon are good. Not very gritty, though.

I liked "Lone Wolf" better when I read it the first time. When it was called "2XS".

The "Terminus Experiment" had me wondering why I paid for that one....

"Run Hard, Die Fast" could have been a Steven Segal or Arnold movie. (As in, Munchfest)

"Never Trust an Elf": Meh. It'll give you some idea what its like to be an ork but other than that...it really doesn't do much besides set up the scene for Glaisgain to be an ass and give us out very first (3) Cyberzombie(s).

"Shadowplay" is good for grit if only for the early perceptions of a young ganger in it.

"Kinght's Pawn" is very cool. Not very gritty in terms of street life but it did provide some excellent examples of how higher level shadow operators have to live to maintain security. And it gave us our first "fuck" in a SR novel. Even better was the responce. ("You said 'fuck'. How quaint.")

"Streets of Blood". Good read. Pay attention, though. Its tricksy....:)

There's more but my head is full of SR stuff now and I've discovered that going out to the bars w/ my brian cranking shadowrun stuff is bad for business

(Contrary to my beliefs, I do not have Wired Reflexes. Nor do I have spurs. Or a Pred III) :D

+Quote Post
northern lights
post Apr 18 2004, 09:39 AM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,929

i went to sleep once before i heard of mr martin's ASOIAF and before i got to book 4 in WOT.

my girlfriend woke me up asking what the frag i meant by "i'm the dragon reborn"

talk about feeling 2 inches tall, eh

+Quote Post
toturi
post Apr 18 2004, 10:21 AM
Post #20

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

QUOTE (kevyn668)

"Run Hard, Die Fast" could have been a Steven Segal or Arnold movie. (As in, Munchfest)

I liked Terminus Experiment and Run Fast Die Hard.

To me, the difference in grittiness between the novels is like the difference between the SR3 Archetypes and any min-maxed PC, they are different versions of the same thing. The min maxed guys have an easier time until they hit things that will wipe out the Archetypes.

Also the difference between levels of grittiness simply means there is diversity even among runners.

+Quote Post
Kakkaraun
post Apr 19 2004, 01:29 AM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,548

I'm gonna go with 2XS here...not only is it my hands-down fave SR novel, but I'd number it amongst my top 20 fiction books, period. Probably. Been a long time since I read it. It's got a great film noir vibe, and it's quite gritty...mainly because it's about one mundane guy with no 'ware.

Into the Shadows was also killer. Great stuff, and a great range. There's some fairly pro-level stuff, and a few short stories about really newbie runners. My personal favorite story there is...oh dear, it's been so long. The one with the two newbie gangers-runners.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Apr 19 2004, 01:50 AM
Post #22

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

ugh. couldn't stand terminus experiment. canon? what's canon?

+Quote Post
kevyn668
post Apr 19 2004, 08:54 PM
Post #23

Runner

QUOTE (Kakkaraun @ Apr 19 2004, 01:29 AM)
I'm gonna go with 2XS here...not only is it my hands-down fave SR novel, but I'd number it amongst my top 20 fiction books, period.  Probably.  Been a long time since I read it.  It's got a great film noir vibe, and it's quite gritty...mainly because it's about one mundane guy with no 'ware.

Into the Shadows was also killer.  Great stuff, and a great range.  There's some fairly pro-level stuff, and a few short stories about really newbie runners.  My personal favorite story there is...oh dear, it's been so long.  The one with the two newbie gangers-runners.

"Would It Help to Say I'm Sorry?"

If you're talking about the two wannabe sams that link up w/ Wolf and Raven (heh.)

Or "Graverobbers" w/ Porky Pryne if you're talking about the teo deckers.

Or "Whitechappel Rose" if you're talking about the one with Jack (the Decker) and Street Mage.

I think you mean the first one.

toturi Posted on Apr 18 2004, 10:21 AM
  QUOTE (kevyn668)

I liked Terminus Experiment and Run Fast Die Hard.

Me too. But even I had to roll my eyes at the the twin Supermachs...

Say, do you guys remember way back when all the novels would have little, subtle ties to eachother? Did they keep doing that all way to the end? I became more selective w/ my novel buying throughout the years so I couldn't tell if they stoped doing it or if I didn't get the reference b/c I didn't have the book.

+Quote Post
Kakkaraun
post Apr 19 2004, 11:50 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,548

Yep...the first one.

I still remember getting that book, it was a monumental find...see, there are two versions of it (I have both, IIRC), the new one has the same general format as the other novels, albeit thicker, and the earlier one is thinner and bigger, and conversely has larger pictures. I found it in a library bookstore...really weird thing to find there.

+Quote Post
kevyn668
post Apr 20 2004, 03:00 AM
Post #25

Runner

I have the original version. Acquired back when there was only one SR and it came in hardcover only.

Any differences in the second version?

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 12:27 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.