Reply to this topicStart new topic
> SR Tattoo
Bigity
post Aug 19 2011, 02:09 AM
Post #1

Shooting Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 3,024

So, my wife has been bugging me about getting a tattoo (I have none, and no piercings etc etc) when she has her covered up with something new (some Buddhist power thingy she wants changed).

I was thinking a SR-themed deal, but am not really sure what I'd get. I like the old SR1 western longhorn skull/circuit board paper thing, but I probably don't want a band or whatever it's called that goes all the way around your arm.

I'm stumped after that, I can't think of any really iconic images. Anything of the SR gang symbols would probably work I guess, I like the Eye Fivers.

Or maybe a Comet of Sigmar or a Robotech Defense Force symbol lol.

What am I not thinking of?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Aug 19 2011, 02:26 AM
Post #2

Immortal Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 14,465

Dunkie's Face?

+Quote Post
Seerow
post Aug 19 2011, 02:42 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 26,658

What about that dragonesque S? The one on this.

That's what I personally associate with SR.

+Quote Post
Bull
post Aug 19 2011, 02:43 AM
Post #4

Grumpy Old Ork Decker

Group: Admin
Member No.: 50

I've known several folks over the years that have gotten one version or another of the "S" logo. Nice, simple, iconic.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Aug 19 2011, 02:56 AM
Post #5

Immortal Elf

I like the electronics-esque scroll with the ram's horn myself from 1st Edition.

+Quote Post
Tanegar
post Aug 19 2011, 03:18 AM
Post #6

Runner

Member No.: 9,731

I third the "S" logo. Although, the RDF emblem would also be quite awesome.

+Quote Post
KeyMasterOfGozer
post Aug 19 2011, 04:04 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,068

On the back of your hand in large letters...
"Elves Must Die"

http://pl.shadowrun.wikia.com/wiki/Lord_Torgo

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Aug 19 2011, 04:10 AM
Post #8

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 16,392

I'd also do the S, but I laughed at doing Big D's face.

+Quote Post
Abdul Alhazred
post Aug 19 2011, 04:25 AM
Post #9

Target

Member No.: 31,741

Watch out with the RDF tat. Harmony Gold might sue you for copyright and cut it off your skin =)

SR Tatt - I like this tatt a lot. Thinking about actually getting it.

+Quote Post
MK Ultra
post Aug 19 2011, 10:04 AM
Post #10

Running Target

Member No.: 10,324

If you want something a bit more unique, try one of the megacorporate logos (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Fatum
post Aug 19 2011, 11:23 AM
Post #11

Runner

Member No.: 17,589

I like the idea with the ram skull. Not around the arm, but across the back, maybe?

+Quote Post
AppliedCheese
post Aug 19 2011, 11:58 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 19,092

Not to be a downer here, but as much fun as being a living SR billboard might be, should you really be getting a tattoo just please your wife? Especially given her apparent willingness to tattoo in her fad of the day buddhist whatnot, which shrotly thereafter she has decided is a bad idea?

It just doesn't seem like good long term planning for a long term issue.

Of course, if its because you actually want to spend the rest of your life advertising how much shadowrun rocks (or paying beaucoup bucks to stop advertsing it), go for it. I, for one, think an SR icon would be a billion times better than some crappy kanji characters that say "strength and honor" or something equally melodramatic-bushido.

+Quote Post
suoq
post Aug 19 2011, 12:10 PM
Post #13

Running Target

Member No.: 18,746

QUOTE (Bigity @ Aug 18 2011, 09:09 PM) *
some Buddhist power thingy she wants changed

To me this is the big hint right here.

Your wife got a tat because it was the right thing in that moment but a tat isn't an "in the moment" kind of thing and now she change to change it for something else until it's artwork without meaning.

Don't get a tat for the wrong reasons.

+Quote Post
Bigity
post Aug 19 2011, 01:21 PM
Post #14

Shooting Target

It was years and years ago, she was into stuff she's not into anymore etc etc.

I've been thinking awhile about getting one as well, just haven't pulled the trigger. It would be awhile in any case, she's 8 months pregnant and thusly can't mess with it right now anyway.

The Ram's skull was my first thought, but I don't really like it without the paper-circuit board stuff with it, which would be hard to pull off in a small tattoo. The S logo was my next choice, but since I don't have my old books anymore I thought I'd ask for reminders of other SR images.

I'm also worried about the amount of (not to gross people out) hair covering up any tattoo in the first place. Maybe I should talked to a tattoo artist first.

+Quote Post
Fatum
post Aug 19 2011, 01:27 PM
Post #15

Runner

QUOTE (suoq @ Aug 19 2011, 04:10 PM) *
Don't get a tat for the wrong reasons.
There are possible reasons besides "I want one"?

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Aug 19 2011, 01:34 PM
Post #16

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (Fatum @ Aug 19 2011, 06:27 AM) *

Sure, Like... "My Wife wants me to have one."

+Quote Post
Bigity
post Aug 19 2011, 01:37 PM
Post #17

Shooting Target

The devil made me do it?

+Quote Post
jaellot
post Aug 19 2011, 01:51 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,971

The mentioning of of a pregnancy is telling, at least to me. It's not so much that she wants a new tattoo, or even for you to have a tattoo. It's just a craving. I mean, there's a condition where women crave (and eat) things like flour, napkins, and even powdered soap. Why not a craving for ink? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/silly.gif)

My missus is right currently pregnant with our 3rd. She's checking smoke alarms at 2 AM, thinks she smells like crescent rolls, and going to the grocery store with her is akin to watching one of those old Bugs Bunny cartoons with the Tasmainian Devil, a whirlwind of carnage and consumption.

While it is larger, the old skull and circuitboard logo is where my money would go for an SR tat. But that's also what would keep me from getting it, the size and intricacy of it. Oh well. That and the fact that a tattoo is a rather significant commitment onto one's flesh.

I also know a guy who got the old WoD Tremere clan symbol as a tattoo. It's kinda neat, I guess. If he wasn't a total douche...

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Aug 19 2011, 01:52 PM
Post #19

Immortal Elf

I grew up in tattoo parlors.
QUOTE (Fatum @ Aug 19 2011, 08:27 AM) *
Military Unit Tradition. MC Affiliation. Wishing to have some form of control over one's appearance in a way that doesn't require surgery...
QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Aug 19 2011, 08:34 AM) *
Sure, Like... "My Wife wants me to have one."
I heard that one too, and a lot more of, "My husband/boyfriend/girlfriend wants me to get one."
QUOTE (Bigity @ Aug 19 2011, 08:37 AM) *
The devil made me do it?
That one too.

+Quote Post
suoq
post Aug 19 2011, 01:55 PM
Post #20

Running Target

Member No.: 18,746

QUOTE (Fatum @ Aug 19 2011, 07:27 AM) *

Yes. Quite a few. Some memorialize a particular event of importance. Some indicate a position or role within a particular subculture. Some are a lifelong expression of love. If you aren't a member of a subculture that embraces tattooing, then it can be a bit hard to grasp it's importance to some people.

Some subcultures that have a serious attachment to tattoos such as the Mara Salvatrucha. Irezumi in Japan is important to many people in Japan, with Horiyoshi-III being the current master. Russian Prison Tattoos are a book onto themselves, something I wish I knew more about. Many cultures and subcultures throughout history have had specific attachments to tattooing with their own symbols, methods, and traditions.

Personally, if you're going to carry something on your skin every day for the rest of your life (or at least requiring a reasonable amount of effort to get it removed or covered up with a new tattoo), it should mean at least as much to you as a simple ring (easy to take off) means to marriage.

+Quote Post
Bigity
post Aug 19 2011, 01:55 PM
Post #21

Shooting Target

QUOTE (jaellot @ Aug 19 2011, 07:51 AM) *
The mentioning of of a pregnancy is telling, at least to me. It's not so much that she wants a new tattoo, or even for you to have a tattoo. It's just a craving. I mean, there's a condition where women crave (and eat) things like flour, napkins, and even powdered soap. Why not a craving for ink? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/silly.gif)

My missus is right currently pregnant with our 3rd. She's checking smoke alarms at 2 AM, thinks she smells like crescent rolls, and going to the grocery store with her is akin to watching one of those old Bugs Bunny cartoons with the Tasmainian Devil, a whirlwind of carnage and consumption.

While it is larger, the old skull and circuitboard logo is where my money would go for an SR tat. But that's also what would keep me from getting it, the size and intricacy of it. Oh well. That and the fact that a tattoo is a rather significant commitment onto one's flesh.

I also know a guy who got the old WoD Tremere clan symbol as a tattoo. It's kinda neat, I guess. If he wasn't a total douche...

Guys. I know my wife. I know how long she's wanted to get rid of that tattoo. We can move over this point (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I now work in a place that won't go apeshit over a tattoo is all, so that's got me planning for what I want to do.

Wait, aren't Tremeres douches by default?

+Quote Post
Fatum
post Aug 19 2011, 02:07 PM
Post #22

Runner

Blah-blah-blah, memorize, tradition, relatives, whatever. Those are just things that make you one day wake up and say: "Yeah, I want one and I'm getting it".
Pretty much like anything ever, actually.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Aug 19 2011, 02:10 PM
Post #23

Immortal Elf

Try saying that to someone sitting in the chair when he's got his fellow soldiers/bikers with him. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

+Quote Post
AppliedCheese
post Aug 19 2011, 02:21 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 19,092

And then watch him explain his new choice at PT on Monday..."1SG! I really though a giant doom hellknight up my neck was reflective of the unit!"

+Quote Post
Neurosis
post Aug 19 2011, 05:43 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 19,000

1st edition logo 1st edition logo 1st edition logo 1st edition logo 1st edition logo

ramskull ftw.

QUOTE (jaellot @ Aug 19 2011, 09:51 AM) *

Man hahahahaha you better hope she never finds this post. : )

Wait, aren't Tremeres douches by default?

I like the line that describes them as "it's like someone embraced a bunch of D&D nerds".

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 23rd April 2024 - 01:09 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.