Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cyborgs, Magical attacks against them
Stormdrake
post Aug 19 2011, 05:43 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,623

So was re-reading the rules on Cyborgs in Augmentation and it says mana spells can not be used on them (no direct spells) and that physical spells have to overcome a resistance provided by their contructed nature (threshold 4+). The one thing I question is where it says the cyborg does not get to resist physical spells? Are they talking about the roll to see if they get hit or get out of the way or the body+armor roll to see how much damage they take?

My issue is if a mage casts a fire ball at said cyborg it should get the chance to get out of the way. Then if it gets hit it shoould be able to roll body+armor to see how much damage it actually takes and the rule seems to negate part or all of this.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Aug 19 2011, 05:54 PM
Post #2

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (Stormdrake @ Aug 19 2011, 10:43 AM) *
So was re-reading the rules on Cyborgs in Augmentation and it says mana spells can not be used on them (no direct spells) and that physical spells have to overcome a resistance provided by their contructed nature (threshold 4+). The one thing I question is where it says the cyborg does not get to resist physical spells? Are they talking about the roll to see if they get hit or get out of the way or the body+armor roll to see how much damage they take?

My issue is if a mage casts a fire ball at said cyborg it should get the chance to get out of the way. Then if it gets hit it shoould be able to roll body+armor to see how much damage it actually takes and the rule seems to negate part or all of this.

He cannot resist DIRECT Physical Spells (Such as Power Bolt, etc), and if the OR 5+ is achieved, then he takes damage, just like resolving any other Dircect Damage Spell. Indirect Spells he can dodge, and then if hit, he gets to soak the damage.

+Quote Post
Seerow
post Aug 19 2011, 05:59 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 26,658

Yeah your confusion here is associating mana spell with direct.

Direct spells have 2 subcategories, physical and mana. Indirect is separate from these completely.

Mana spells have no effect on cyborgs or machines in general at all. Mana spells do have the benefit of going against Will rather than Body on humanoid opponents, and typically have lower drain.

Physical spells can affect cyborgs, cyborgs don't get to resist, but their object resistance applies.

Indirect Spells work the same against cyborgs as everyone else. Get a dodge roll, then apply armor. This is because Indirect spells aren't treated as spells but as an actual elemental effect, that just happened to be created by magic. So just like if the Cyborg walked through a fire he could take damage, getting hit by a flamethrower will cause damage.

+Quote Post
Stormdrake
post Aug 19 2011, 06:24 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Got it. Cool, thanks

+Quote Post
KarmaInferno
post Aug 20 2011, 12:01 AM
Post #5

Old Man Jones

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 1,699

Add Redundant Process Manufacturing. Push those OR thresholds into the 7+ range.

-k

+Quote Post
Stormdrake
post Aug 20 2011, 12:14 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Changing the thread slightly. Am building a Cyborg and need some help. So cyborgs use their mental stats and a commlink to represent the physical (kinda). So if I use the cyborgs Intuition and sensors for perception tests can I add programs such as ClearSight to enhance? A human uses Intuition+Perception+enhacements granted by cyber/bioware to increase their dice pool.

+Quote Post
Seerow
post Aug 20 2011, 12:17 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

QUOTE (Stormdrake @ Aug 20 2011, 12:14 AM) *
Changing the thread slightly. Am building a Cyborg and need some help. So cyborgs use their mental stats and a commlink to represent the physical (kinda). So if I use the cyborgs Intuition and sensors for perception tests can I add programs such as ClearSight to enhance? A human uses Intuition+Perception+enhacements granted by cyber/bioware to increase their dice pool.

Clearsight is an autosoft, intended for boosting machine perception. You'd still use your intuition as a cyborg, because Intuition is a mental stat that the cyborg will have. So you'd use intuition+perception+enhancements gained via sensors.

+Quote Post
Stormdrake
post Aug 20 2011, 12:40 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

Wish that were true but in Augmentation page 160 it says the cyborg uses perception+(sensor or intuition, whichever is lower.) This negates using the sensors as a dice pool modifier. Unless of course they changed it at a later point.

+Quote Post
Seerow
post Aug 20 2011, 12:43 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

QUOTE (Stormdrake @ Aug 20 2011, 01:40 AM) *
Wish that were true but in Augmentation page 160 it says the cyborg uses perception+(sensor or intuition, whichever is lower.) This negates using the sensors as a dice pool modifier. Unless of course they changed it at a later point.

I was referring to using improved sensors like vision enhancement as a sensor mod, not your Sensor 6 rating or whatever.

Though I wasn't aware you could choose the higher of sensor or intuition, that makes intuition a much more palatable dump stat. I do see the confusion on clearsight now though.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 08:23 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.