IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> AI's, Hackers, Technomancers, What can they do when they first start out?
S8N
post Aug 31 2011, 04:37 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 35,805

Hi all,

Relatively new to SR4, having played along time ago when Deckers were still physically wired into their terminals and carried around 80's style electic keyboards to access the matrix !

So... to get me up to date, thought I'd ask around a bit..

In terms of AI's, Hackers, Technomancers, what would you expect them to be able to do, with a 400bp allocation..

In game terms that it... I understand they shouldn't be able to hack the e-mails of Aztechnology's head CEO's personal e-mails.. but what as a rough outline can they achieve and achieve with ease?

S8N
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Loch
post Aug 31 2011, 04:54 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 22,370

With the right programs and a decent commlink, a hacker could conceivably hack into an Azzie server and read the exec's emails, yes. All it really takes is the right tools and time. A dedicated hacker is basically looking at investing a sizeable chunk of resources at chargen into his custom commlink and an exhaustive list of programs, usually with little extras tacked on through programming options, sensor packages, and so on. As he goes on runs, a hacker generally uses the money he earns to buy better and better software/hardware and implants to help him hack more efficiently, and saves Karma for skillups.

Technomancers start out a little lower in the equipment field (since their commlink is their biological node, which has fairly low signal at first), but thanks to threading they can be incredibly efficient hackers when they need to be. The real problem is that a Technomancer is generally a more specialized character than a hacker, since he needs more and more Karma to be able to advance, while the hacker just needs cash for gear. This can lead to Technomancers being a bit "over-specialized" compared to hackers, who will often have the resources and karma to be able to do lots of other things apart from just running the Matrix (rigging/driving, sniping, demolitions, etc.)

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Aug 31 2011, 05:03 PM
Post #3

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

It's the wireless world, they can do anything. It depends on how much you min-ma—er, specialize.

+Quote Post
Elfenlied
post Aug 31 2011, 08:07 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,018

Do note that Threading, combined with sprites, can make a TM nearly invincible in the Matrix compared to most starting characters. Threading Stealth to 9+ means you're relatively safe, and access to Shield gives you an edge over everyone who isn't a TM.

With enough Karma, you can even get really good in the flesh. Acceleration+bioware means you can have a Reaction attribute of 7-9, and learn any skill available as an activesoft for just 5 Karma (R4+Personalized). Coupled with the fact that the only ways to detect a TM is
a) Assensing
b) some obscure critter from Running Wild,
you can even make a decent sam, albeit sacrificing matrix utility.

+Quote Post
Neraph
post Sep 1 2011, 01:21 AM
Post #5

Great Dragon

Member No.: 16,387

Check out my guide here.

+Quote Post
Cain
post Sep 1 2011, 04:15 AM
Post #6

Grand Master of Run-Fu

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 178

Do note that Threading, combined with sprites, can make a TM nearly invincible in the Matrix compared to most starting characters. Threading Stealth to 9+ means you're relatively safe, and access to Shield gives you an edge over everyone who isn't a TM.

Yeah, but that doesn't do anything for an otaku's other matrix skills and abilities, which will be weak in relation to a starting decker. All you do is summon a sprite and hide.

Really, my problem with 4e otaku (other than the pointless name change) is that the sprites they summon are in every way *cooler* than the otaku themselves. The otaku in my game just successfully summoned a Force 18 sprite, and there was nothing I could do against it. (There was no cheese on the summoning roll, either; I critically fumbled it. Yes, on 18 dice. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif) ) The only saving grace is that he can't bind it.

+Quote Post
DMiller
post Sep 1 2011, 05:12 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,343

QUOTE (Cain @ Sep 1 2011, 01:15 PM) *
Yeah, but that doesn't do anything for an otaku's other matrix skills and abilities, which will be weak in relation to a starting decker. All you do is summon a sprite and hide.

Really, my problem with 4e otaku (other than the pointless name change) is that the sprites they summon are in every way *cooler* than the otaku themselves. The otaku in my game just successfully summoned a Force 18 sprite, and there was nothing I could do against it. (There was no cheese on the summoning roll, either; I critically fumbled it. Yes, on 18 dice. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/mad.gif) ) The only saving grace is that he can't bind it.

Yikes! Sounds like you rolled like I usually do (both as a GM and as a player). As a GM I probably would have fudged and called at least 1 hit and a glitch rather than a crit glitch, but both GMs for our group fudge the rolls occasionally.

-D

+Quote Post
Cain
post Sep 1 2011, 06:31 AM
Post #8

Grand Master of Run-Fu

Member No.: 178

QUOTE (DMiller @ Aug 31 2011, 10:12 PM) *
Yikes! Sounds like you rolled like I usually do (both as a GM and as a player). As a GM I probably would have fudged and called at least 1 hit and a glitch rather than a crit glitch, but both GMs for our group fudge the rolls occasionally.

While I will fudge on occasion, I make it a personal rule to never fudge far. If it's a bad fumble, I'll give it to the players (even if they don't deserve it). Besides which, I have an unbroken string of critical fumbles stretching back to 1989. At least once per session when I GM, I will critically fumble a roll of at least 3 dice. Usually more: my record is all 1's on 13 dice. Remember, the rule used to be *all* 1's, so the new rule just made me critically fumble more often. Oddly enough, it doesn't happen when I'm just a player, only when I GM, and only Shadowrun.

+Quote Post
DMiller
post Sep 1 2011, 09:50 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,343

QUOTE (Cain @ Sep 1 2011, 03:31 PM) *
While I will fudge on occasion, I make it a personal rule to never fudge far. If it's a bad fumble, I'll give it to the players (even if they don't deserve it). Besides which, I have an unbroken string of critical fumbles stretching back to 1989. At least once per session when I GM, I will critically fumble a roll of at least 3 dice. Usually more: my record is all 1's on 13 dice. Remember, the rule used to be *all* 1's, so the new rule just made me critically fumble more often. Oddly enough, it doesn't happen when I'm just a player, only when I GM, and only Shadowrun.

WOW!

My GM laughs at me when he sees me building as huge a dice pool as I can just to avoid crit fail. Your record of 13 dice and all 1's is AWESOME!

My usual is 2 hits. No matter how many dice. My hacker has one roll that with edge is 23 open-ended dice... I often times get 2 hits on that roll. *sigh*

Sorry to have taken this so far OT... *Sets the train back on the tracks*

-D

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 07:07 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.