IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> SR4 meets real life, Your lisense, registration and any computer devices please...
hobgoblin
post Sep 8 2011, 01:31 AM
Post #1

panda!

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,242

http://arstechnica.com/tech-policy/news/20...n-the-house.ars

Why do i find myself contemplating access ids, and how they will interact with this kind of courtroom activity?

At first it had me wonder why Spoof was not a illegal program, but then it dawned on me that spoof can be used by security companies and individuals in the process of investigation and such. So in the same ways as a gun it needs the ability to be licensed to approved individuals, as do Spoof and the other programs of that nature. Hackers in the shadow sense are not approved, but they can fake approval via forged paperwork.

I wonder how many hacker PCs actually have the appropriate licenses listed on their sheet, or any at all for that matter...

btw, i wonder if any media edit done with a properly bought and such Edit program using the computer skill leave markings in the file that can be traced back to the buyer. As such, any time someone upload a video to the SR equivalent of Youtube they get a automated legal "letter" about it. Or is simply charged a usage fee for each time the video gets played if it contains any content owned by the AAAs (the amount of bickering between AAAs should be interesting, if a video file is uploaded to a Horizon service that holds content from say Aztech media holdings or something).
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Sep 8 2011, 02:21 AM
Post #2

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

Licenses are on my sheet for the Hacking Programs... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Miri
post Sep 8 2011, 03:14 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 32,769

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Sep 7 2011, 08:21 PM) *
Licenses are on my sheet for the Hacking Programs... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

You character has probably been around long enough to acquire the cash to do so (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

+Quote Post
Fatum
post Sep 8 2011, 07:21 AM
Post #4

Runner

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 17,589

QUOTE (Miri @ Sep 8 2011, 07:14 AM) *
You character has probably been around long enough to acquire the cash to do so (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)
We try to simplify bookkeeping by agreeing that a single license per SIN is enough to cover all of your R stuff.

+Quote Post
LurkerOutThere
post Sep 8 2011, 07:55 AM
Post #5

Runner

Member No.: 17,234

I will generally maintain a matrix security professional to allow me to license some of my low level hacking programs on my work comlink.

Of course it's my real comlink that has my real programs without the bloody registration option that would be necessary to have a license for them. It is usually internal and not switched on until i'm ready to use it.

+Quote Post
Fatum
post Sep 8 2011, 10:52 AM
Post #6

Runner

QUOTE (LurkerOutThere @ Sep 8 2011, 11:55 AM) *
Of course it's my real comlink that has my real programs without the bloody registration option that would be necessary to have a license for them. It is usually internal and not switched on until i'm ready to use it.
Surprisingly enough, you need licenses for unregistered programs, just like you need a firearms permit even if you stole the gun.

+Quote Post
Mardrax
post Sep 8 2011, 11:43 AM
Post #7

Running Target

Member No.: 19,228

QUOTE (Fatum @ Sep 8 2011, 12:52 PM) *
Surprisingly enough, you need licenses for unregistered programs, just like you need a firearms permit even if you stole the gun.

You mean anyone with the authority to bust open your 'link, won't confiscate it and have you pay out the nose to not end up in jail as well, when he finds it bursting with pirated software?

+Quote Post
Fatum
post Sep 8 2011, 12:34 PM
Post #8

Runner

It's totally opensource, here's a credstick with proofs, officer!

+Quote Post
LurkerOutThere
post Sep 8 2011, 02:13 PM
Post #9

Runner

Member No.: 17,234

QUOTE (Fatum @ Sep 8 2011, 05:52 AM) *

It is not surprising, if your stupid enough to get caught with your illegal gun or your illegal programs your going to have problems either way. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

+Quote Post
Neraph
post Sep 8 2011, 05:33 PM
Post #10

Great Dragon

Member No.: 16,387

QUOTE (Fatum @ Sep 8 2011, 01:21 AM) *
We try to simplify bookkeeping by agreeing that a single license per SIN is enough to cover all of your R stuff.

So the same license I need to drive a car also covers my Concealed Carry for my gun? Or my Muscle Replacement license (for my Muscular Atrophy, of course) is also good for my Detection Spell formulae?

At my tables licenses go with themes: for example, your PI license allows you to carry certain R guns and have access to certain R surveilance equipment. You'd need a different license for spell formulae or other out-of-genre augmentations (Muscle Replacement, Dermal Plating, ect.).

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Sep 8 2011, 05:43 PM
Post #11

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 14,465

Why not? The same license to import Airsoft in Canada allows a store to house Weapons-Grade Nuclear Material.

+Quote Post
Brazilian_Shinob...
post Sep 8 2011, 05:58 PM
Post #12

Shooting Target

Member No.: 17,437

Gotta love Canada, I can't wait to move there.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Sep 8 2011, 06:00 PM
Post #13

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 14,465

QUOTE (Brazilian_Shinobi @ Sep 8 2011, 12:58 PM) *
Gotta love Canada, I can't wait to move there.
Going to start up a store that sells Airsoft? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

+Quote Post
Brazilian_Shinob...
post Sep 8 2011, 06:52 PM
Post #14

Shooting Target

Member No.: 17,437

I may or may not start up an airsoft store that may or may not stock nuclear devices.
You know, because some games just need a little more punch to it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cyber.gif)

+Quote Post
Fatum
post Sep 8 2011, 08:34 PM
Post #15

Runner

QUOTE (Neraph @ Sep 8 2011, 09:33 PM) *
So the same license I need to drive a car also covers my Concealed Carry for my gun? Or my Muscle Replacement license (for my Muscular Atrophy, of course) is also good for my Detection Spell formulae?
So the same guy that checks the box saying "Permitted" for your gun also checks the same box for your augmentations when making your SIN.

+Quote Post
Tanegar
post Sep 8 2011, 09:52 PM
Post #16

Runner

Member No.: 9,731

How about this: a Matrix Security license covers all Restricted programs and Matrix gear, a Magical Security license covers are Restricted spells, foci, and other magical gear, and a Physical Security license covers everything else Restricted. Nice and simple, and you don't have players saying, "My license covers Exploit and my arm-mounted cybershotgun."

+Quote Post
Mardrax
post Sep 8 2011, 10:29 PM
Post #17

Running Target

Member No.: 19,228

QUOTE (Tanegar @ Sep 8 2011, 11:52 PM) *
How about this: a Matrix Security license covers all Restricted programs and Matrix gear, a Magical Security license covers are Restricted spells, foci, and other magical gear, and a Physical Security license covers everything else Restricted. Nice and simple, and you don't have players saying, "My license covers Exploit and my arm-mounted cybershotgun."

My arm-mounted shotgun IS Matrix gear! I use it on my nexus when they give me a BSoD twice in quick succession.
You'd think my nexi don't live long, but don't worry. I only load it with Stick 'n Shock rounds.

+Quote Post
Fatum
post Sep 8 2011, 10:35 PM
Post #18

Runner

QUOTE (Tanegar @ Sep 9 2011, 01:52 AM) *
How about this: a Matrix Security license covers all Restricted programs and Matrix gear, a Magical Security license covers are Restricted spells, foci, and other magical gear, and a Physical Security license covers everything else Restricted.
And why make them pay for something they will need a couple of times tops? Especially minding that licenses are tied to SINs, and runners tend to change those?

QUOTE (Tanegar @ Sep 9 2011, 01:52 AM) *
Nice and simple, and you don't have players saying, "My license covers Exploit and my arm-mounted cybershotgun."
I have nothing against that. And minding that the core book, if I recall, says nothing as to what exactly can be covered with a single license, I don't really see any reason to have them pay in RAW.

+Quote Post
suoq
post Sep 8 2011, 10:40 PM
Post #19

Running Target

Member No.: 18,746

Personally, I like a license for each "type" of item. As an example, a license to carry a HK-227X is simply a license to carry a HK-227X, any HK-227X. That being said, I understand if the GM says a license is for a specific gun. My main hassle with that as a GM is it becomes a chicken/egg problem. I also have no problem with a license for Regular Ammo not specifying gun type (pistol, submachine gun, etc.) It's just a license for ammo.

I also believe licenses NEED houseruling. It annoys me that some R guns have F mods built in. It's really funny that the Morrisey Elan ® loses it's advantage unless it contains F ammo. Very similar pieces of ware have completely different ratings for no apparent reason. (Yay, Dermal Sheath).

If you're going to reduce the number of license needed to 1-3, you might as well get rid of them entirely. It's not like they're expensive at that volume.

+Quote Post
Fatum
post Sep 8 2011, 10:42 PM
Post #20

Runner

QUOTE (suoq @ Sep 9 2011, 02:40 AM) *
If you're going to reduce the number of license needed to 1-3, you might as well get rid of them entirely. It's not like they're expensive at that volume.
And why should something that is likely being brought up in game maybe twice throughout the campaign be expensive?

+Quote Post
suoq
post Sep 8 2011, 11:13 PM
Post #21

Running Target

QUOTE (Fatum @ Sep 8 2011, 05:42 PM) *
And why should something that is likely being brought up in game maybe twice throughout the campaign be expensive?

If it's cheap and easy to get, why are you even bringing it up at all in your campaign? Just houserule it as ignored. It should be an expensive detail if your table is actually using it or if the player wishes to have one for personal RP reasons. Otherwise, just don't bother.

+Quote Post
Fatum
post Sep 9 2011, 12:45 PM
Post #22

Runner

QUOTE (suoq @ Sep 9 2011, 03:13 AM) *
If it's cheap and easy to get, why are you even bringing it up at all in your campaign?
Cars and guns are cheap and easy to get...

+Quote Post
suoq
post Sep 9 2011, 02:30 PM
Post #23

Running Target

QUOTE (Fatum @ Sep 9 2011, 07:45 AM) *
Cars and guns are cheap and easy to get...

And you use them more than twice a campaign.

I'm not sure if you're trying to start a pointless argument or if you're really confused about what I'm saying
If an item
a) doesn't come into play often
AND
b) isn't expensive
THEN
c) ignore it.

It's easy to simply fold "fake license" into "purchase cost". i.e. If you bought the item, you either a) got a fake license first to allow you o buy the item legally or b) got the fake license with the item when you bought it illegally. Any items "acquired" during a run, can have their fake licenses assumed to be acquired between missions.

Another option is, if you're only going to have 1-3 licenses per character, just fold the fake license into the fake ID. When the ID is built it comes with licenses for everything that makes sense for that ID to have (or if you don't want to go into that level of detail on a fake ID, it just has all the licenses).

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Sep 9 2011, 02:33 PM
Post #24

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (suoq @ Sep 9 2011, 07:30 AM) *
Another option is, if you're only going to have 1-3 licenses per character, just fold the fake license into the fake ID. When the ID is built it comes with licenses for everything that makes sense for that ID to have (or if you don't want to go into that level of detail on a fake ID, it just has all the licenses).

I usually craft the Charactrers Fake Identities with this concept in mind (though I do pay the cost for the Licenses as well). Not all Identities have the same licenses ('Ware notwithstanding, though there may be different reasons for such 'ware), or even use the same gear.

+Quote Post
Fatum
post Sep 9 2011, 03:30 PM
Post #25

Runner

QUOTE (suoq @ Sep 9 2011, 06:30 PM) *
And you use them more than twice a campaign.

I'm not sure if you're trying to start a pointless argument or if you're really confused about what I'm saying
If an item
a) doesn't come into play often
AND
b) isn't expensive
THEN
c) ignore it.
It does come up in play. And it does cost a noticeable sum of money.
Though, yeah, I like the idea of ignoring the whole concept of licenses much more than buying one for each item or trying to figure out which one applies to what item, especially when your runner travel around the world.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 10:59 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.