> Firewall, System and Response, Are they 'programs?'
Tzurah
post Sep 12 2011, 03:03 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,405

Hey All,

It's a simple enough question. I used to be of the opinion that because Firewall and System were required they didn't count against a node's processor limit. Recently though I've come to think I might be mistaken here and am wondering how other GM's have been treating Firewall and System.

So the question; are Firewall and System counted against the number of 'active' programs on a node?

Thanks,
Tzurah
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
DMiller
post Sep 12 2011, 03:46 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 18,343

QUOTE (Tzurah @ Sep 12 2011, 12:03 PM) *
Hey All,

It's a simple enough question. I used to be of the opinion that because Firewall and System were required they didn't count against a node's processor limit. Recently though I've come to think I might be mistaken here and am wondering how other GM's have been treating Firewall and System.

So the question; are Firewall and System counted against the number of 'active' programs on a node?

Thanks,
Tzurah

No they don't count against active programs. They are part of the Device Rating and are Device Attributes, not individual programs. At least in my opinion.

-D

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Sep 12 2011, 08:19 AM
Post #3

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

Right, that's the RAW. They only 'programs' (as opposed to Programs) for the purposes of buying them; they are technically Matrix Attributes. You can only run one of each, and you *must* run one of each, on every Device. They are not part of the Processor Limit, and they have their own special rules for their limits, crashing them, etc. Honestly, if you want to subtract 2 from everything's Processor Limit, it wouldn't change the game, though. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Aerospider
post Sep 12 2011, 11:49 AM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 17,968

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Sep 12 2011, 09:19 AM) *
Right, that's the RAW. They only 'programs' (as opposed to Programs) for the purposes of buying them; they are technically Matrix Attributes. You can only run one of each, and you *must* run one of each, on every Device. They are not part of the Processor Limit, and they have their own special rules for their limits, crashing them, etc. Honestly, if you want to subtract 2 from everything's Processor Limit, it wouldn't change the game, though. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

It would rather. Say you have a processor limit of 5 that you then take down to 3. That means 6 programs will cause a loss of 2 Response, whilst by RAW it would only cost 1. 9 would cause a loss of 3 response whilst by RAW, again, it would only have been 1.

You'd have to only subtract it from the first 'round' of processor limit, at which point it's much easier to just treat them like regular programs.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Sep 12 2011, 12:01 PM
Post #5

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

I know what it would do. I'm saying it wouldn't matter. The Processor Limit overage rules are a joke. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) I did mean 'add 2 to the number of running programs', of course, not 'reduce the *base* Processor Limit by 2'. That is, 'just treat them like regular programs'. Really though, either way. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 04:01 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.