Reply to this topicStart new topic
> New Code of Conduct Help
Socinus
post Sep 12 2011, 08:41 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,881

I have a character who is a Buddhist monk (yes, you read that right).

With all the strictures on what Buddhist monks may do and must not do, I figured it was right for a Code of Conduct but for the life of me I cant really seem to put one together.

Buddhism has several key ethics:
To refrain from taking life (non-violence towards sentient life forms), or ahimsā
To refrain from taking that which is not given (not committing theft)
To refrain from sensual (including sexual) misconduct
To refrain from lying (speaking truth always)
To refrain from intoxicants which lead to loss of mindfulness (specifically, drugs and alcohol)

Any ideas?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Sep 12 2011, 08:45 AM
Post #2

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

I mean… do all of those? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) What's the question, whether those are correct?

Incidentally, what's non-sentient? Plants and fungi?

+Quote Post
Traul
post Sep 12 2011, 08:59 AM
Post #3

Running Target

Member No.: 17,229

No stealing, no lying, no killing,... what exactly are you going to do in a run? And which runs are you going to accept?

+Quote Post
Socinus
post Sep 12 2011, 09:08 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

The character is a pacifist who works for the Lotus Throne sect of Tibetan Buddhist monks. He works to recover Tibetan and Buddhist artifacts and other historical treasures and documents important to Tibet and Buddhism.

He has some flexibility about his beliefs, but generally abides by a "I wont start something but I will finish it" policy. He cannot stop his teammates from doing bad things, but he can knock people out, do some pretty impressive movement, etc etc.

It helps that the character is in a VERY black trenchcoat game where we're unlikely to be handed an assignment that requires we blow up a school bus to take out the driver who is really a crime lord.

It will be a difficult play, but I like the idea of the challenge.

+Quote Post
Seriously Mike
post Sep 12 2011, 09:19 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 36,268

QUOTE (Traul @ Sep 12 2011, 10:59 AM) *
No stealing, no lying, no killing,... what exactly are you going to do in a run? And which runs are you going to accept?

Technically, spoofing computer systems ain't lying... *twiddles thumbs* And even if it is, there are other methods of gaining entry. Hacking monk, now that one's quite interesting.

+Quote Post
Traul
post Sep 12 2011, 09:32 AM
Post #6

Running Target

Member No.: 17,229

Is the whole campaign about recovering Tibetan artifacts? If so, I could see how this does not constitue stealing for your character since he sees his monastery as the rightful owner.

If not, then you need a very strong reason for him in the shadows. It is not only about how he performs his runs. This code of conduct should lead him to refuse most jobs up front, including basic datasteals. Shadowrun is not the right game to play Lawful Good. It is mostly the "no stealing" part that bothers me.

+Quote Post
Mardrax
post Sep 12 2011, 01:17 PM
Post #7

Running Target

Member No.: 19,228

QUOTE (Traul @ Sep 12 2011, 11:32 AM) *
If not, then you need a very strong reason for him in the shadows. It is not only about how he performs his runs. This code of conduct should lead him to refuse most jobs up front, including basic datasteals. Shadowrun is not the right game to play Lawful Good. It is mostly the "no stealing" part that bothers me.

Copying data isn't stealing it, like taking a photo of someone isn't abduction.

+Quote Post
suoq
post Sep 12 2011, 02:13 PM
Post #8

Running Target

Member No.: 18,746

This process would be easier if you simply make up a religion based on how you imagine Buddhism to be instead of trying to be accurate to Buddhism. Some group of Mystical monks in Tibet with their own belief system. Yetiarians. Order of When the Eternally Surprised. Whatever. It doesn't matter.

Silly mode: You could take all the restrictions you want to take and then make him a member of some new religion based off of Cargo Cultists. That sound spectacularly fun.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Sep 12 2011, 04:20 PM
Post #9

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (Mardrax @ Sep 12 2011, 06:17 AM) *

Breaking into a facility unlawfully is still "Taking" Acces that is not yours.
Playing a Buddhist is nigh Impossible if you go by the strictures. Additionally, there are a lot more strictures than the 4 Socinus listed that will have a bearing on how the character is played, if he wants a true rendering of Buddhism anyways.

Had a guy at our table that tried it. It was an abysmal failure. He was so "Flexible" with his interpretation of Buddhism that he should not have ever been a Buddhist. He would have fit right in at a Bund meeting.

+Quote Post
kzt
post Sep 12 2011, 04:53 PM
Post #10

Great Dragon

Member No.: 9,234

It's a more flexible religion than people think. Medieval Japanese ninja and samurai were both Buddhists.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Sep 12 2011, 05:23 PM
Post #11

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (kzt @ Sep 12 2011, 09:53 AM) *
It's a more flexible religion than people think. Medieval Japanese ninja and samurai were both Buddhists.

But they were not Good Buddhists if they Lied, Stole or Killed. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Admitte, only the Monks are held to the highest standardsand strictures, but that is what the OP mentioned he was creating.

+Quote Post
Socinus
post Sep 12 2011, 06:29 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Sep 12 2011, 06:23 PM) *
But they were not Good Buddhists if they Lied, Stole or Killed. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
Admitte, only the Monks are held to the highest standardsand strictures, but that is what the OP mentioned he was creating.

Shaolin monks were Buddhist as well, they trained for fighting their entire lives and were not unknown to kill someone.

These were also ideals of behavior.

+Quote Post
TheOOB
post Sep 12 2011, 08:07 PM
Post #13

Running Target

Member No.: 10,749

Proper buddist monks don't become shadowrunners, they become...monks. Being a shadowrunner, apart from the skill required, requires some moral flexibility that monks don't have. A vegan wouldn't take a job as a steak house food critic, and a monk won't take a job that involves stealing stuff and shooting people in the face for money.

+Quote Post
Dr.Rockso
post Sep 12 2011, 09:41 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,849

I think he could have some flexibility as a mage. That way you can aid the team by providing buffs/debuffs in combat situations, without committing violence yourself. But as it has been said, you'll have a hard time associating with a team of morally questionable criminals.

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Sep 13 2011, 02:18 PM
Post #15

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,760

Firstly, remember that there are different branches of Buddhism, and those branches change over time. Also, Buddhists (like all people) can draw upon greater moral causes when necessary; for instance, a Buddhist may mislead in order to save another person's life (is this a violation of the 'lying' rule? I'd think so.) If the Buddhist is helping the poor, he's justified in entering facilities which have been unjustly stolen from those people.

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post Sep 13 2011, 02:26 PM
Post #16

Ain Soph Aur

Member No.: 600

Now I may be completely wrong here and I hope my comments offend no one if I misunderstood things, but based on readings I did quite some time ago, Buddhism is fundamentally based on the principle that "All is sorrow", meaning everything - any physical object, any person, any animal - EVERYTHING, is just pain and suffering. You are just trying to push yourself reincarnation to reincarnation until you're no longer reincarnated, you attain a state of nothingness.

As such, there is not REALLY any such thing as a sacred temple artefact. It's just a THING and if someone steals it, you certainly aren't going to waste time trying to get it back. If you attached importance to an object, you failed.

But that's like the pure, undiluted version. Like Nezumi says, if I may paraphrase, theory and implemention are two different things. People are people, and our emotions and the gazillion OTHER things that influence our bahaviour aside from religion can be at odds with each other.

If anything, in a campaign based around this, I would just through all the conflicting theories at the character. "You shouldn't steal", "It's not stealing", "You shouldn't care", "I can't let them walk all over us", etc. Conflicts make good stories.

+Quote Post
suoq
post Sep 13 2011, 03:01 PM
Post #17

Running Target

QUOTE (nezumi @ Sep 13 2011, 09:18 AM) *
Firstly, remember that there are different branches of Buddhism, and those branches change over time. Also, Buddhists (like all people) can draw upon greater moral causes when necessary; for instance, a Buddhist may mislead in order to save another person's life (is this a violation of the 'lying' rule? I'd think so.) If the Buddhist is helping the poor, he's justified in entering facilities which have been unjustly stolen from those people.

I'm probably going to regret this, but I have to ask. Do you actually have some reference to all of this? Was there something I missed in the sūtras that led you to this conclusion? Or did this come from watching action films?

---------------

Edit: It occurs to me, as I write that, that maybe action films can serve to bridge the gap instead of creating a larger gap. To this end, I will point to the man who makes films about breaking and entering, stealing, beating people up, killing people, ect, and his views on Buddhism.

http://jetli.com/jet/index.php?s=spirit&am...p;l=en#buddhism

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Sep 13 2011, 04:28 PM
Post #18

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 16,392

QUOTE (Mardrax @ Sep 12 2011, 08:17 AM) *

Read the stricture again.

"Not taking that which is not given."

Copying data which wasn't given to you, is in fact, stealing.

+Quote Post
Mardrax
post Sep 13 2011, 04:57 PM
Post #19

Running Target

Member No.: 19,228

QUOTE (Draco18s @ Sep 13 2011, 06:28 PM) *
Read the stricture again.

"Not taking that which is not given."

Copying data which wasn't given to you, is in fact, stealing.

Even though you're not taking anything, just creating something new as an exact replica of something existing?

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Sep 13 2011, 05:07 PM
Post #20

Prime Runner Ascendant

QUOTE (Mardrax @ Sep 13 2011, 10:57 AM) *
Even though you're not taking anything, just creating something new as an exact replica of something existing?

Even Still...
Of course, you can rationalize anything. And that is the Trap in such a situation; you start to rationalize everything away, and now the Code that you claim to follow means absolutely nothing.

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Sep 13 2011, 05:08 PM
Post #21

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 16,392

QUOTE (Mardrax @ Sep 13 2011, 11:57 AM) *

Correct. Because what you are copying wasn't given to you. It was obtained through subterfuge.

You're trying to say that sneaking into a locked room and taking pictures of documents found in a secret drawer to be "legal" by Buddhism's strictures, whereas it isn't.

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Sep 13 2011, 08:47 PM
Post #22

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Member No.: 5,760

QUOTE (suoq @ Sep 13 2011, 10:01 AM) *
I'm probably going to regret this, but I have to ask. Do you actually have some reference to all of this? Was there something I missed in the sūtras that led you to this conclusion? Or did this come from watching action films?

Are you asking how are there different branches of Buddhism, and it's quite feasible they'll change significantly with the rise of metahumans and magic? Or how people justify their ethical behavior based on circumstances?

+Quote Post
suoq
post Sep 13 2011, 09:26 PM
Post #23

Running Target

QUOTE (nezumi @ Sep 13 2011, 03:47 PM) *
Are you asking how are there different branches of Buddhism, and it's quite feasible they'll change significantly with the rise of metahumans and magic? Or how people justify their ethical behavior based on circumstances?

I'm asking how you, and for that matter, most of this thread, has such a codified view on Buddhism and yet with that view, they attempt to speak with authority, as if by trying to codify it, by defining it by something it isn't, they believe they understand it.

Reading this thread has been like watching Orthodox Jews talk about how to make the best BLT.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Sep 13 2011, 09:42 PM
Post #24

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

In the end, it's just fluff. It needn't be historically accurate/realistic. It's not like historical Buddhists were. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Redjack
post Sep 13 2011, 10:18 PM
Post #25

Man Behind the Curtain

Group: Admin
Member No.: 3

I realize this is mostly in context to Shadowrun and everyone is mostly playing nice, I just feel this thread is dancing on the edge of cliff... Please continue to play nice and keep it related and the mods will be smiling too. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 02:00 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.