IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> 99 Bottles launches Enhanced Fiction line, New PDF-only product has fiction, then adventure to follow it up
JM Hardy
post Sep 16 2011, 10:24 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,392

We've got a new PDF-only product out--99 Bottles (Battlecorps, DriveThruRPG), which takes runners to Bangkok and enmeshes them with some Yaks who are having some, um, peculiar problems. Let's check out the full summary:

BODIES ARE STACKING
Mob wars are ugly things, but not all ugliness is created equal. Things are going bad in Bangkok, and one Yakuza leader named Shinoda Yoshinori has been receiving a series of unsettling messages: bodies of other members of his gumi, packaged and delivered in a decidedly unique fashion. If Yoshinori wants to preserve his gumi—and save his life—he’s going to have to take action. Due to the depleted manpower in his gumi, he’s ready to turn to shadowrunners for help.

99 Bottles introduces Shadowrun’s new Enhanced Fiction line, in which short stories are accompanied by information and statistics that allows you to incorporate elements of the story into your game. In this book, the story kicks off a short adventure that is presented with all the information gamemasters and players need, from plot points to NPC stats to details of specific locations in the seething, energetic city of Bangkok. Let the new fiction set the stage for a plunge into one of the Sixth World’s seamiest spots!

99 Bottles is for use with Shadowrun, Twentieth Anniversary Edition.

Jason H.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Sep 16 2011, 10:26 PM
Post #2

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

Looks Interesting... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
HunterHerne
post Sep 16 2011, 10:56 PM
Post #3

Running Target

Member No.: 19,166

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Sep 16 2011, 06:26 PM) *
Looks Interesting... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I agree. It'll be interesting to see how it goes, as well.

+Quote Post
enkidu
post Sep 16 2011, 10:59 PM
Post #4

Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 19,008

I'll bite. In the process of putting together some campaigns. Might give me ideas. Or at least stats.

+Quote Post
enkidu
post Sep 16 2011, 11:05 PM
Post #5

Target

Okay, so had a quick looks and it's basically a SRM, but I assume, not tied to any campaign. Haven't had a chance to read through but I'm sure I can cannibalize it.

+Quote Post
HunterHerne
post Sep 16 2011, 11:05 PM
Post #6

Running Target

QUOTE (enkidu @ Sep 16 2011, 07:05 PM) *
Okay, so had a quick looks and it's basically a SRM, but I assume, not tied to any campaign. Haven't had a chance to read through but I'm sure I can cannibalize it.

Which is the entire point, it seems. So, mission a success?

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Sep 16 2011, 11:49 PM
Post #7

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 14,465

QUOTE (enkidu @ Sep 16 2011, 06:05 PM) *
How's the fiction? Novel-Like or Short Story-like?

+Quote Post
Bull
post Sep 17 2011, 12:04 AM
Post #8

Grumpy Old Ork Decker

Group: Admin
Member No.: 50

As a note, it's not actually a Shadowrun Missions adventure. The Enhanced Fiction line is something separate.

+Quote Post
Megu
post Sep 17 2011, 02:15 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,268

I'm running a SE Asia game right now. I NEED this. I better go find that code for 15 off PDF stuff I earned at a Missions event a while back. IT'S TIME.

+Quote Post
Nath
post Sep 17 2011, 07:00 AM
Post #10

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,723

QUOTE (CanRay @ Sep 17 2011, 01:49 AM) *
I think the announcement would better have given a number of pages or something that would allow people to know at least how many pages they're going to pay for. It's a PDF Only Product, so you can't go to your FLGS to see it. 15 pages like Way of the Adept ? 25 like a Mission ? 30 like Manhattan ? Is a preview scheduled anytime soon ?

+Quote Post
Megu
post Sep 17 2011, 07:11 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,268

Stupid question: Is more Bangkok stuff planned or is this line gonna be, like, everywhere?

Interestingly, in the broad scheme of things this clashes very much against what I'd written up as Bangkok 2072, in that I had assumed the Kuroiban would lose the mob war with the Nine Tigers Organization (speaking of the Triads, since when are there Yellow Lotus in Bangkok? I thought that Seattle had the only extant branch?), and that Niranam had become king of Thailand, and thus embroiled the country in a naga-related civil war in Cambodia.

But the details are right on, and in some ways work better in my Bangkok, because the Kuroiban are kind of on the brink in the first place. Anyways, would tweak, but would definitely run.

+Quote Post
Bull
post Sep 17 2011, 07:12 AM
Post #12

Grumpy Old Ork Decker

Group: Admin
Member No.: 50

Looks like 29 pages including cover, so about comparable to a Missions adventure.

(SRM 04 adventures have been running slightly longer, averaging about 35 pages each, but they're slightly padded due to things like the debriefing log and the contact sheets)

+Quote Post
JM Hardy
post Sep 17 2011, 12:17 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,392

QUOTE (Megu @ Sep 17 2011, 02:11 AM) *
Stupid question: Is more Bangkok stuff planned or is this line gonna be, like, everywhere?

Interestingly, in the broad scheme of things this clashes very much against what I'd written up as Bangkok 2072, in that I had assumed the Kuroiban would lose the mob war with the Nine Tigers Organization (speaking of the Triads, since when are there Yellow Lotus in Bangkok? I thought that Seattle had the only extant branch?), and that Niranam had become king of Thailand, and thus embroiled the country in a naga-related civil war in Cambodia.

But the details are right on, and in some ways work better in my Bangkok, because the Kuroiban are kind of on the brink in the first place. Anyways, would tweak, but would definitely run.

More Bangkok stuff will be included in the first SOTA e-book, coming soon. It'll have a Sixth World Almanac-style writeup of Thailand. That doesn't leave a ton of room for Bangkok information, but it's something.

Jason H.

+Quote Post
enkidu
post Sep 17 2011, 01:47 PM
Post #14

Target

QUOTE (CanRay @ Sep 17 2011, 12:49 AM) *

It's a two page job, like you get at the start of each chapter in the core book. Good for flavour. There's also a small bit on "Bangkok at Glance" and "Security in Bangkok" which are handy. About a page total, with stats for the Bangkok police included.

QUOTE (Nath @ Sep 17 2011, 08:00 AM) *
I think the announcement would better have given a number of pages or something that would allow people to know at least how many pages they're going to pay for. It's a PDF Only Product, so you can't go to your FLGS to see it. 15 pages like Way of the Adept ? 25 like a Mission ? 30 like Manhattan ? Is a preview scheduled anytime soon ?

It's 29 pages, last two are maps, one of a brewery and one of the other of the area around it. Always happy to get maps.

Having given the mission a quick read, it's pretty good, for my team anyway. Bit of investigation then a firefight. Fun times.

There's one scene which starts "This scene should take place after four days have passed since the runners were hired, or after the runners have exhausted their leads, whichever comes first." which annoys me for some reason but I'll be altering it for Denver anyway.

I think if you've read the SRM, you'll know what you're getting with this.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Sep 17 2011, 03:13 PM
Post #15

Immortal Elf

OK. It's got a brewery map. I'm sold. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
hermit
post Sep 17 2011, 05:22 PM
Post #16

The King In Yellow

Member No.: 7,121

Huh. I sort of expected longer fiction and more of a bare-bones, 3 to 4 page adventure framework. Seems it's actually more like an adventure with a two-page intro fiction, or did I miss something? Also, what else is planned in this series?

+Quote Post
enkidu
post Sep 17 2011, 06:55 PM
Post #17

Target

QUOTE (hermit @ Sep 17 2011, 06:22 PM) *
Seems it's actually more like an adventure with a two-page intro fiction, or did I miss something?

Nope, that's pretty much it. With maps (Yay (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif) ) Wasn't quite what I was expecting but I'm happy with it.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Sep 17 2011, 07:33 PM
Post #18

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (hermit @ Sep 17 2011, 12:22 PM) *
Huh. I sort of expected longer fiction and more of a bare-bones, 3 to 4 page adventure framework. Seems it's actually more like an adventure with a two-page intro fiction, or did I miss something? Also, what else is planned in this series?
I was thinking something along the lines of Deadlands "Dime Novels", a long short story or a novelette and an adventure. But, well, there never was any statement as to how long the fiction was, so I don't feel cheated. Just wondering why I had that perception in the first place.

Maybe I just really, really miss the novels.

+Quote Post
hermit
post Sep 17 2011, 07:59 PM
Post #19

The King In Yellow

I don't feel cheated or anything, but I expected pretty much what you did, CanRay. Yeah, I miss them too, though having read the Wheldon novel, that one I probably should be glad to never see.

+Quote Post
Blade
post Sep 27 2011, 08:21 AM
Post #20

Runner

Member No.: 9,466

Was I the only one expecting something in the lines of 10 Gangs or 10 Jackpointers with the description of 99 bottles?

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Sep 27 2011, 03:54 PM
Post #21

Immortal Elf

Maybe. It was explicitly described as fiction and adventure.

+Quote Post
hermit
post Sep 27 2011, 04:19 PM
Post #22

The King In Yellow

I expected a novella with 2, 3 pages of "how to make this into an adventure" or a collection of NPC stats and adventure hooks.

+Quote Post
HunterHerne
post Sep 27 2011, 04:25 PM
Post #23

Running Target

What I was expecting was a few pieces of intro fiction, and then some stats to go with it, and tips to make the story an adventure. But, I'm guessing that will be the final product, when the Enhanced Fiction Line is done.

+Quote Post
hermit
post Sep 27 2011, 07:13 PM
Post #24

The King In Yellow

A print book of several shorts and an adventure accompanying each?

+Quote Post
HunterHerne
post Sep 27 2011, 07:26 PM
Post #25

Running Target

QUOTE (hermit @ Sep 27 2011, 03:13 PM) *
A print book of several shorts and an adventure accompanying each?

Something like that, yeah.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 05:17 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.