Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Technomancer RAW Optional Rules
Yerameyahu
post Sep 19 2011, 08:05 PM
Post #1

Advocatus Diaboli

Group: Members
Member No.: 14,282

Does anyone (*anyone*) use the 'Resonance Difference' optional rules from Unwired, p137? I'd never noticed them before, and they strike me as an incredibly bad idea. They basically make emergent entities totally invulnerable in the matrix, except against other emergents… right?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Loch
post Sep 19 2011, 08:10 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 22,370

I've yet to actually play a technomancer, but this is basically the interpretation of everyone in my group as well.

+Quote Post
Seerow
post Sep 19 2011, 09:13 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 26,658

The rule says outright "This is a definite advantage for technos", so unless your group thinks technomancers are weaker than hackers and need a random huge boost, yeah broken.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Sep 19 2011, 09:25 PM
Post #4

Advocatus Diaboli

Right. It's just that it's an *incredible* advantage, not just a definite one. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) I'd never really looked at it, so I was wondering if anyone else had.

+Quote Post
ggodo
post Sep 19 2011, 09:32 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 21,972

Oh, I'd maybe use that for some GodModeNPC, but Timmy the Techno ain't touching it.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Sep 19 2011, 09:55 PM
Post #6

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

I have considered bringing it up, becasuse of the Optional Rule we use currently (Logic+Skill (Program Hits)), but have yet to do so. Honestly, a Technomancers biggest ability is to be able to hack without Gear or Programs. They also get Sprites and Echoes, which is a big advantage already. The "Resonance Difference" would be a big boon, either way, in my opinion, and likely overpowering.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Sep 19 2011, 10:04 PM
Post #7

Advocatus Diaboli

It's just do categorical. Take a look: *cannot* be detected as a node, *unbreakable* encryption, etc. Jesus.

+Quote Post
Seerow
post Sep 19 2011, 10:09 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 26,658

If you wanted to be a dick you could go:

"Okay, technomancers are different. So they can't be tracked by hackers, can't be attacked by hackers, etc. But unfortunately, since you are different, it is hard for you to attack hackers, and impossible track down non-living-nodes, etc"

+Quote Post
Socinus
post Sep 20 2011, 03:17 AM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,881

Technomancers get kinda dicked over by the rules in the initial, but the alternate rules are a bit too much affirmative action IMHO.

Requiring 2 sets of skills for the same stuff just seems a little much, especially on a character that is already a Karma sink.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Sep 20 2011, 04:16 AM
Post #10

Advocatus Diaboli

You only need one set, you're not using the mundane ones. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Elfenlied
post Sep 20 2011, 08:02 AM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,018

TMs are strong enough in the matrix already. What they need is a boost in playability/survivability outside of the matrix at chargen, not matrix godmode.

+Quote Post
Irion
post Sep 20 2011, 08:26 AM
Post #12

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 18,860

@Elfenlied
That has nothing to do with Technomancers per say, it is more about the BP system.
It is stupid not to start with GOD of matrix and snail in the real world, because becoming GOD in the matrix takes a lot of Karma.
Getting from snail to lets say the avarage face considering firepower, takes much less.
Going over biowire it is even cheaper.

I mean:
Get an elf, with Logic 5, Charisma 7 and Ressonance 5 and 10 Programms raiting 5.
You got yourself 400 Karma for 170BP. (Not to mention, that logic gives you 15 BP worth of knowledge skills)
(Taking Res 6 and R 6 progs: 205 BP for 490 Karma)
So if you play it right, Technomancers get out ahead in the BP System (compared to Karma).
Thats quite a strange thing.

+Quote Post
Elfenlied
post Sep 20 2011, 08:43 AM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,018

You're right, BP encourages overspecialization due to linear costs. Buying CFs with Karma is expensive, while they're fairly affordable in BP.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 03:47 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.