Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Uses for Sprites?
Socinus
post Sep 28 2011, 02:24 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 15,881

I love Technomancers, but I haven't done too much with sprites.

What are some of the various uses of the types of sprites? Has anyone put together a list of ideal uses for the various types of sprites?

IE: What do you use Code sprites for? Why are Sleuth sprites AND Data sprites around, they seem redundant.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Stalag
post Sep 28 2011, 03:02 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 37,159

QUOTE (Socinus @ Sep 27 2011, 10:24 PM) *
I love Technomancers, but I haven't done too much with sprites.

What are some of the various uses of the types of sprites? Has anyone put together a list of ideal uses for the various types of sprites?

IE: What do you use Code sprites for? Why are Sleuth sprites AND Data sprites around, they seem redundant.

I find sprites to be good for thirst-quenching (IMG:style_emoticons/default/lick.gif)

Seriously though, the way I see sprites (and sculpting and a lot of the other Matrix stuff) is for running Matrix heavy adventures where the players spend a lot of time in detailed virtual worlds. Never really comes up at our table - one game world is more than enough.

+Quote Post
Summerstorm
post Sep 28 2011, 05:30 AM
Post #3

Running Target

Member No.: 17,225

Hm... my technomancer just uses them for everything.

He saved on complex forms or threads them if REALLY needed on the fly. But all small hacks and such: Sprites. Just make a rating 7 Crack-Sprite and he will get things done... not like anything usual {Security system, Firewall, Agents, Hackers} has a chance to find and stop it.

So yeah: Overpowered... just like spirits.

+Quote Post
Aria
post Sep 28 2011, 08:04 AM
Post #4

Dragon

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 18,267

Silly question probably: why can't a system/agent etc detect sprites? I know the TM's biological node can't be hacked but that doesn't apply to sprites does it?

+Quote Post
Aerospider
post Sep 28 2011, 11:24 AM
Post #5

Running Target

Member No.: 17,968

Sprites are good for whatever agents are good for (mostly) and then some and it's not horrendously difficult to get them at higher ratings.

An agent running in one's home node can assist teamwork-style, but a registered sprite will add its whole rating to a TM's complex form (and doesn't even need its own copy).

They also come with some nifty powers.

+Quote Post
Dahrken
post Sep 28 2011, 12:02 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,693

QUOTE (Aria @ Sep 28 2011, 10:04 AM) *
Silly question probably: why can't a system/agent etc detect sprites? I know the TM's biological node can't be hacked but that doesn't apply to sprites does it?

The system or an agent can detect them. But if the sprite's rating is high enough this becomes so unlikely that for all intent and purpose the sprite is undetectable.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Sep 28 2011, 02:37 PM
Post #7

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (Dahrken @ Sep 28 2011, 05:02 AM) *
The system or an agent can detect them. But if the sprite's rating is high enough this becomes so unlikely that for all intent and purpose the sprite is undetectable.

Only if they have the Stealth CF. If not, they cannot hide.
Not all Sprites have that CF.

Code, Machine, Paladin, and Tank Sprites cannot ever have Stealth (They do not have it inately, nor optionally).

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Sep 28 2011, 03:09 PM
Post #8

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 14,465

Which is an advantage all it's own as the IC and White Hats are focused on the Sprite while the TM/Hacker buddy deal with the rest of the DataRun.

Well, as long as the White Hat decides not to flip the Molly-Guard and hit the BRS. Dumpshock is a harsh mistress...

+Quote Post
Sengir
post Sep 28 2011, 03:10 PM
Post #9

Great Dragon

Member No.: 17,709

QUOTE (Socinus @ Sep 28 2011, 02:24 AM) *

The big boon of Code sprites is Info Sortilege, which makes them great for the more complex data searches. And yes, there is a significant overlap between the various "search" sprites, just like mages have various effective combat spirits (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
TheOOB
post Sep 28 2011, 09:50 PM
Post #10

Running Target

Member No.: 10,749

Sprites are the entire reason to play a TM. It takes a lot of karma and a long time before you'll be able to be more effective with complex forms than a hacker who invested in his craft, but being able to create sapient agents at will with whatever programs you want is a huge advantage.

+Quote Post
Hound
post Sep 28 2011, 10:26 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,778

QUOTE (TheOOB @ Sep 28 2011, 05:50 PM) *
Sprites are the entire reason to play a TM. It takes a lot of karma and a long time before you'll be able to be more effective with complex forms than a hacker who invested in his craft, but being able to create sapient agents at will with whatever programs you want is a huge advantage.

This basically. I remember thinking that TMs were way underpowered when I first tried to make one, and in many ways a regular hacker is still way cheaper. Sprites are their saving grace in my opinion, they have other tricks and advantages of course, but the ability to summon a sprite on the fly to handle any task you would want to do is what makes them viable as hackers.

+Quote Post
UmaroVI
post Sep 29 2011, 01:52 AM
Post #12

Shooting Target

Member No.: 18,778

Machine: Drive things for you, provide passive buffs (like have them sit in the street samurai's gun and assist shooting)
Code: Info Sortilege is niche but handy, Probability Distribution is really, really good because you can use it to help with nearly anything you want to do.
Tutor: Proficiency lets them give anyone a Technical, Vehicle, or Knowledge skill (at the price that it may take extra long to use). This is still super awesome for when you need obscure skills. The "any knowledge skill" thing is also great. Need to know about 19th century french artwork for a heist? Summon a tutor sprite.
Tank: Sucking
Paladin: Tanking
Fault: Winning matrix combats for you
Sleuth: Finding people for you. It is absurdly easy for sleuth sprites to track down anyone who doesn't live in the woods in a log cabin.
Courier: Sucking
Data: Sucking
Crack: Crack sprites are capable of hacking nearly anything, but unsubtle. If you just need the hack done, but don't care if you get caught 20 seconds later, crack sprite solves your problem.

+Quote Post
Miri
post Sep 29 2011, 01:56 AM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 32,769

Machine Sprites also have the really nice ability to negate Glitches with their Stability power.

+Quote Post
Brainpiercing7.6...
post Sep 29 2011, 02:04 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 19,052

Hmm, I've always ignored TMs, because it seemed like they were not reallly worth the effort - what with being really, really vulnerable due to always hot-sim and such. But... perhaps sprites completely overcome this weakness. Maybe I should check them out, and send one against my runners... MUAHAHAHA

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/rotate.gif)

+Quote Post
Kirk
post Sep 29 2011, 04:47 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 34,911

QUOTE (Brainpiercing7.62mm @ Sep 29 2011, 09:04 AM) *
Hmm, I've always ignored TMs, because it seemed like they were not reallly worth the effort - what with being really, really vulnerable due to always hot-sim and such. But... perhaps sprites completely overcome this weakness. Maybe I should check them out, and send one against my runners... MUAHAHAHA

A TM with the skinlink echo can be a frightening thing to a cyber, especially if they don't know she's a TM (or a bad guy) at first. Fine you win the grapple and you're subduing her. Holding her with your mechanical hand...

+Quote Post
Aerospider
post Sep 29 2011, 04:58 PM
Post #16

Running Target

Member No.: 17,968

QUOTE (Brainpiercing7.62mm @ Sep 29 2011, 03:04 PM) *

Make it a submerged dissonant and really have some fun!
Great flavour-wise too.

+Quote Post
Sengir
post Sep 29 2011, 05:29 PM
Post #17

Great Dragon

Member No.: 17,709

QUOTE (UmaroVI @ Sep 29 2011, 02:52 AM) *
Crack: Crack sprites are capable of hacking nearly anything, but unsubtle. If you just need the hack done, but don't care if you get caught 20 seconds later, crack sprite solves your problem.

Huh? Crack sprites have a Stealth CF by default, and if anything goes wrong they get another Rating/2 turns (not IPs) before the alarm goes off.

+Quote Post
UmaroVI
post Sep 29 2011, 06:28 PM
Post #18

Shooting Target

Member No.: 18,778

They do have stealth, but if you care at all as a TM you can thread/Assist Operation your stealth at least as high as they have it at. Since it sets a threshold that's very significant. I mean, yes, you could compile rating = 2xResonance crack sprites, but that will get your face melted eventually.

The idea, though, is that even a low-rating crack sprite can hack damn near anything by simply kicking the door down and relying on the rating/2 turns.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 06:42 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.