IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Spider-Man, One of my players was nagging me and...
RedSunOfKrypton
post Apr 3 2004, 08:49 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 6,165

Here goes. One of my players was nagging me to be a physad based on Spidey, and I said while it could work it would be severely underpowered, he wanted to know what it would take to make it work as full powered as in the comics, so here's what I came up with, bear with me as this only took 10 minutes and I was under duress.

Spider-Man
Archtype: Physical Adept

Body: 3 (9)
Qui: 3 (9)
Str: 3 (9)
Cha: 3
Int:6
Will:6
Magic: 6 + Initiation: 34 = 40
Reaction: 7 (10)
Initiative: 1 (4)

Powers (Here we go :dead: ):
Adhesion
Blind Fighting-----------|These I figured were
Combat Sense Lvl 3---|appropriate for the
Sixth Sense 3-------------|functions of the
True Sight 3---------------|catchall Spider-Sense
Body Control 3 (Cause Spidey is resiliant to disease and poison)
Flexibility 2 (Part of that Spider Agility)
Free Fall 5
Great Leap 12
Improved Body 6
Improved Qui 6
Improved Str 6
Improved Stealth 2
Improved Reflexes 3
Missile Parry
Pain Resistance 2
Traceless Walk
Temp. Tolerance 2 (How else could he swing around in the winter in only tights?)
Rapid Healing 3 (Spidey heals quick)
Quick Strike
Improved Sense: Balance
--------------
Cost 39.75

His physical stats and Charisma are average because Pete looks like an average guy with an average build. The intelligence is 6 cause he's damn smart and the will is 6 because of all the horrible things he's been through in life he still keeps on going and being Spider-Man. Even with the magical enhancements it seems to me that his strenght and quickness are still majorly under powered comic wise. Any thoughts?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Limping Jacob
post Apr 3 2004, 09:05 AM
Post #2

Target

Member No.: 6,154

Nothing with a Magic rating of 40 is underpowered, dude. ;)

It's sorta hard to tell - can you flip over a car with a Strength of 9? That's about the limit of Spidey's strength in the comics, right?

As for reaction/initiative, 10+4D6 is pretty bloody quick by any standard. The powers look about right as far as including all of his abilities.

+Quote Post
BloodMagician
post Apr 3 2004, 09:09 AM
Post #3

Target

Member No.: 3,889

Looks very accurate to me. Hardly underpowered, but yes, every accurate.

I did something similar to create a "Puma Man" PhysAd based on a cheesy character from a cheesy movie featured in MST3K with the same name.....

+Quote Post
Connor
post Apr 3 2004, 09:47 AM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,652

Well, I think he told the guy if you did it by the normal rules it'd be underppowered, but he was also showing the absurdity it would take to do it to 'full-power' and of course, it's quite absurd, but it's also what it would probably take for a full fledged Spidey.

+Quote Post
RedSunOfKrypton
post Apr 3 2004, 10:04 AM
Post #5

Target

Well, I think he told the guy if you did it by the normal rules it'd be underpowered, but he was also showing the absurdity it would take to do it to 'full-power' and of course, it's quite absurd, but it's also what it would probably take for a full fledged Spidey.

That's pretty much it to a tee. By his strength and quickness being underpowered I meant that, if a human with Str: 9 and Qui: 9 went blow for blow with the real comic book Spidey...Spidey would feed them their ass. In order to be accurate with regards to speed and strength, it would have to be something like Str: 25 and Qui: 25 which is even more absurd.

+Quote Post
broho_pcp
post Apr 3 2004, 10:20 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,054

Unless, of course, that human were to be Batman; but we all know that already.

+Quote Post
Neon Tiger
post Apr 3 2004, 12:37 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,497

Marveldirectory.com says:

Spider-Man's overall metabolic efficiency has been greatly increased, and the composition of his skeleton, inter-connected tissues, and nervous system have all been enhanced. Spider-Man's musculature has been augmented so that he can lift (press) about 10 tons. His reflexes are faster than an average human by about a factor of 15 (he is often able to dodge bullets, if he is far enough away). Spider-Man is extraordinarily limber and his tendons and connective tissues are twice as elastic as the average human being's, despite their enhanced strength. He has developed a unique fighting style that makes full use of his agility, strength, and equilibrium.

Emphasis added by me. So Spidey's strenght would have to be around 400 to lift that 10 tons(if these are metric tons, that is). So it would be very, very ridiculous on Shadowrun scale. :eek:

+Quote Post
Siege
post Apr 3 2004, 02:00 PM
Post #8

Dragon

Member No.: 3,916

I guess it depends on how "true to book" he really wants the character to be.

It's entirely possible that the character Awoke with a comic-book motif.

Reflexes 2 (3)
Athletics +2 dice (.5)
Great leap 2 (.5)
freefall 2 (.5)

The three big things to overcome:

"Spidey Sense" (detect enemies, detect danger [personal])
"web slinging" -- tough one. Maybe a new spell, "generate web?"
"clinging" -- the "cling" spell.

You may want to check out the "knacks" --> it didn't make it into MitS as canonical, but it's not bad if moderated by the GM.

Granted, it's "Spidey-Lite", but it duplicates the basic effects.

-Siege

+Quote Post
Pistons
post Apr 3 2004, 05:33 PM
Post #9

Not Cameron Diaz

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 188

I think you forgot to add "Gecko Crawl" to his list of powers. :)

+Quote Post
RedSunOfKrypton
post Apr 3 2004, 05:48 PM
Post #10

Target

That's what Adhesion is only better.

Adhesion
COST: 1
The Adhesion power gives the physad the ability to make parts of his body adhere to objects in a manner similar to a magnet, except that it works on all surfaces. The range of the power is exceedingly short -- extending only to the outermost layer of his aura -- but can be controlled fairly precisely. A physical adept may cause only one extremity, two, or his entire body -- anything that he desires. The maximum weight that can be supported by the adhesion power is equal to the maximum lifing weight (Strength * 20) plus the physad's own weight. When combined with the "Traceless Walk" power, the adept doesn't apply pressure/force to the object he is adhesive to; pressure sensors will not recognize him and so on.

+Quote Post
Foreigner
post Apr 3 2004, 06:01 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,630

RedSunofKrypton:

As a suggestion (it's your campaign, after all), why not make the character an Adept of the Magician's Way, following a Shamanic Totem--in this case, Spider.

The Adept would have all of the traditional magical powers and abilities associated with this totem (whatever they may be--I'm afraid that I haven't looked them up), and, at the GM's (in this case, your) discretion, I have an idea:

How about a magical talisman linked to his totem that would temporarily (so that he can't abuse it) give him the proportionate strength of a man-sized (or Metahuman-sized, in this case--you didn't mention what Metatype the character is in your original post, so I'm taking the chance that he's Human based upon the number of 3's (Human average) in his stats) arachnid? The time interval is, of course, up to you, but I would suggest no more than 10 to 30 seconds at a time (and no more than a certain number of times per day), so the player can't abuse it.

I'm not certain how you'd duplicate the webbing, though, assuming that a magical or technological equivalent couldn't be found. A monoline coated with a high-strength adhesive, perhaps? I think what I'm describing is essentially the same thing as monowire, but without the sharp edge. Also, if you want to duplicate Spider-Man's webbing, it would have to be treated with a VERY slow-acting corrosive, which activates upon exposure to oxygen. In the comics, Spider-Man's webbing is an unknown long-chain polymer (described as "related to nylon") that emerges from the "web-shooters" as a liquid, but hardens almost immediately upon exposure to air, and eventually--after about 12 hours--breaks down into a nondescript powder formed from the residue of its component chemicals. The idea is to keep anyone from analyzing the chemical composition of the webbing and tracking him down.

I hope this helps. Good luck. :)

The others, particularly Neon Tiger and Siege, have elaborated well enough on the means that could be used to duplicate Spider-Man's other abilities.

{Now do you guys and/or gals see why I picked "The Foreigner" as a basis for my SR character? ;) He might not be as well-known as, say, Spider-Man, Batman, or Superman, but his powers--such as they are-- are a lot easier to duplicate using SR Adept abilities, although some are "home-grown" abilities which I found on SHADOWRUN-related Websites, and not "official" (i.e., strictly canonical) abilities.}

--Foreigner

+Quote Post
Siege
post Apr 3 2004, 07:04 PM
Post #12

Dragon

Member No.: 3,916

QUOTE (Pistons)
I think you forgot to add "Gecko Crawl" to his list of powers. :)

Gecko Crawl, Cling -- it's the same thing. :grinbig:

-Siege

+Quote Post
kevyn668
post Apr 3 2004, 07:25 PM
Post #13

Runner

Member No.: 5,375

{NOW  do you guys and/or gals see why I picked "The Foreigner" as a basis for my SR character? wink.gif He might not be  AS WELL-KNOWN AS, say, Spider-Man, Batman, or Superman, but his powers--such as they are-- are A LOT EASIER TO DUPLICATE using SR Adept abilities, although some are "home-grown" abilities which I found on SHADOWRUN-related Websites, and not "official" (i.e., strictly canonical) abilities.}

--Foreigner

Dude, I've seen post about this Foreigner charater more times than I can count and I still have no idea who you're talking about. Is some movie character? Comic Books? What gives??

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Apr 3 2004, 07:36 PM
Post #14

Traumatizing players since 1992

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 220

Well to make his stats match, he would literally need a reaction of 45 (15 times a normal human) and a strength of 30+. This would place his quickness at about 60-70 to get that reaction. He also has a metric buttload of mystic armor. He can take significant hits and shrug them off, from opponents as strong as him. That makes 30 or so points of mystic armor too.

+Quote Post
Shadow
post Apr 3 2004, 07:59 PM
Post #15

Why oh why didn't I take the blue pill.

Member No.: 2,006

Hey Red, as far a it goes it looks pretty good. I mean it's not spidey, for that the physical stats would need to be much higher. Two things you could change though are his mental stats. Pete is a world class scientist. As gifted (if noas educated) as Reed Richards. If you ever read Secret Wars theres a scene where Pete explains how a piece of alien technology works to a dumbfounded Mr. Fantastic, it was priceless.

@ Broho,

Keep dreaming buddy, Spidey would mop up the floor with Bats. Sure Batmans tough and smart, devious and has a lot of heart... Guess what, so is Spidey, plus he has power. Power that Batman could never hope to over come. Spidey has heart.

Spidey after all took down the hulk, Juggernaught, and the guy with the Mohawk from the Shiar. And those guys could go tow to tow with Superman.

+Quote Post
RedSunOfKrypton
post Apr 3 2004, 08:05 PM
Post #16

Target

There are times when Spider-Man's reflexes are cited as being 40 times greater than the average human's. (Tom Defalco's Spider-Man Official Encyclopedia as well as other works and certain issues of the comics themselves.) And Spidey's not that durable, he can be shot and even stabbed by normal humans (provided they catch him off guard in some way), my point is that a knife weilded by a normal man will puncture Spidey...it's happened. And while he may be worthy of a couple points of Mystic Armor, I can't see him as having 30 and being comically accurate.

@Shadow

It depends on which version of Superman you're talking about, post crisis John Byrne version, yes they could go toe to toe with him. The Silver Age Superman however was the second most powerful being in all of creation next to God himself. And Superman as he is in the comics right now could womp Juggernaut and the Hulk pretty easily and Gladiator (The mohawk shiar guy) too.

+Quote Post
John Campbell
post Apr 3 2004, 08:24 PM
Post #17

Running Target

Member No.: 3,581

QUOTE (Siege)
"Spidey Sense" (detect enemies, detect danger [personal])

A lot of dice of Combat Sense would seem to fill the bill quite neatly.
"web slinging" -- tough one. Maybe a new spell, "generate web?"

Spidey's web-shooters were originally mechanical devices. There's no particular reason to insist on them being an innate ability in an SR adaptation (adeptation?).

QUOTE (Foreigner)
{NOW do you guys and/or gals see why I picked "The Foreigner" as a basis for my SR character?

Honestly, no. Trying to stat out superheros with the SR system can be fun, and comics, books, films, etc., can be good sources for inspiration, but I'd never actually play a PC wholly modelled on a character from elsewhere. I've explained to you before why I think it's a bad idea, and the months we spent telling you all the ways that your mental image of what a Foreigner-based character had to be didn't fit into the Shadowrun universe or the Shadowrun system illustrated it quite well.

And Jesus TAPDANCING Christ, will YOU quit emphasizing random WORDS for no APPARENT reason? It's really ANNOYING to have to read.

+Quote Post
Foreigner
post Apr 3 2004, 08:44 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 3,630

kevyn668:

In answer to your question, "Rafael Basil Sabitini", a/k/a "The Foreigner", a/k/a "Lieutenant Christopher 'Kris' Keating, N.Y.P.D. Special Powers Task Force" was a minor character in MARVEL COMICS GROUP titles, beginning in the late 1970s with DEFENDERS, Volume 1, Issue #65 (November, 1978), in which he made a brief (two-page) appearance disguised as Lt. Keating. (It wasn't revealed that The Foreigner had, in fact, murdered the REAL Keating and assumed his identity until PETER PARKER, THE SPECTACULAR SPIDER-MAN, Volume 1, Issue #129 (August, 1987)).

He's a professional assassin and was, up until sometime in 1994, the leader of a group of assassins known only as "The 1400 Club", and described as "twice as deadly as its nearest competitor". (The Foreigner himself disbanded The 1400 Club that year due to an attempt at a hostile takeover by a disgruntled former employer--criminal industrialist Justin Hammer had hired "The Foreigner" personally to eliminate Anthony Stark (IRON MAN's alter ego).The Foreigner had reneged on the contract because the situation had turned out to be not as represented when he was hired, and appropriated a prototype spy satellite built and launched into orbit by Hammer's company when the industrialist refused to pay him for his services up until that time.) He used an import-export company as a cover, so I suppose that he could be considered James Bond's "evil twin".

He's also the ex-husband of Silver Sablinovia, a/k/a "Silver Sable", another MARVEL COMICS GROUP character. It seems she fell in love with him and they married before she discovered what he did for a living. ;) When she found out, he filed for divorce. They've been on-again/off-again adversaries since then. In fact, his last appearance to date was in SILVER SABLE AND THE WILD PACK, Volume 1, Issue #31 (December, 1994).

He stands six feet, two inches (1.88 Meters) tall, and weighs, depending upon the source you consult, either 180 pounds (81.6 Kilograms) (various editions of The OFFICIAL HANDBOOK OF THE MARVEL UNIVERSE) or 240 pounds (108.9 Kilograms) (THE MARVEL ENCYCLOPEDIA, Volume 4 ("Spider-Man")), and has brown hair and eyes.

As far as SR Adept-type powers, he has nearly superhuman reflexes (Enhanced Reflexes spell), the ability to increase his strength to near-superhuman levels for brief periods through concentration (Strength Boost ? (non-canonical Adept power) or something similar), and a "near-mystical" (that's MARVEL's description, not mine) ability to place an opponent in a trance-like state for up to ten seconds at a time simply by momentarily making eye contact with him or her (Mesmerize, another non-canonical Adept power).

He's also described as well-versed in several martial arts, as well as being an "Olympic-level" archer, swordsman, and marksman with firearms. He claims to have mastered every known method of killing another human being, as well as six methods known only to himself.

In one comic (PETER PARKER, THE SPECTACULAR SPIDER-MAN, Volume 1, Issue #210 (March, 1994), he hinted that his first job as an assassin was the assassination of U.S. President John Fitzgerald Kennedy.
Spider-Man had helped him against his former employees when they turned against him. In exchange for Spidey's help, he'd agreed (A) NOT to kill anyone while they worked together, and (B) to SURRENDER to the NYPD when the job was finished. (Of course, Spider-Man had no way of knowing that The Foreigner was so good at covering his tracks that there was NO evidence against him, even WITH a full confession.)

Foreigner: "Officer, I'd like to confess to a MURDER. A HOST of murders..."
Cop: "Heads up, boys! We've got a LIVE one here! So, when did you START killing people?"
Foreigner: "Texas. Early 'Sixties. You MIGHT want to call your C.I.A.."
Cop: "Is that RIGHT?"

(Incidentally, in a backstory in two issues of SILVER SABLE AND THE WILD PACK (Issues # 15 and 16, August and September, 1993), it was revealed that The Foreigner had been hired by unknown parties to assassinate then-President Jimmy Carter, in order to sabotage the historic Camp David peace accords between Egypt and Israel.)

Sorry if I rambled, but I hope this answers some of your questions. :)

Mister Campbell: I apologize if this bothers you, but I was trained this way (I worked as a proofreader for twelve years, and all of the titles I read were Boldface, Italicized, Underscored, or some combination of the three. Old habits die hard. And regarding the above quotation from the comic book I mentioned, it was printed that way in the original.

Laughing Tiger, RedSunofKrypton: I believe you were both thinking of "Ras Al-Ghul", Batman's allegedly immortal on-again/off-again nemesis since sometime in the 1970's. (One of my first crushes was his daughter Talia, but I was about 10 years old then, and of course she wasn't real, so I couldn't do much about it. :P )

--Foreigner

+Quote Post
BitBasher
post Apr 3 2004, 08:56 PM
Post #19

Traumatizing players since 1992

Member No.: 220

As far as the Spidey Vs Batman....

Consistently in comicsThe Punisher Defeats Spidey, not in hand to hand, but hands him his ass regardless, and in corssovers Batman hands Punisher his ass, so by extension Batman could Beat Spidey senseless. The thing about Batman is he would never, ever let it be a fair stand up fight. and he would win. Period.

+Quote Post
John Campbell
post Apr 3 2004, 09:48 PM
Post #20

Running Target

Member No.: 3,581

Spidey'd win a first matchup, thanks to superhuman capabilities. But then Batman would go home, obsessively brood on his defeat, design and build Spidey-defeating toys, and in any subsequent matchup, he'd hand Spiderman his ass. This leaves Spiderman with a net winning record, because as good guys, they'll fight once and only once before becoming allies. But Batman will still have those toys in the cave, just in case....

+Quote Post
LaughingTiger
post Apr 3 2004, 09:52 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,211

The thing about Batman is his endless supply of contigency plans. In the "Tower of Babel" JLA story arc, one of Batman's enemies, Rache Al Goul, whose name I CANNOT spell, used the Bat's own plans against him and took out the entire JLA. Bats has stuff rolling around in that cave designed to take out everyone he's ever known and even some things he probably just dreamed up. If Spidey suprises him, the Bat might be in trouble, bat after that, Spidey's toast.

+Quote Post
RedSunOfKrypton
post Apr 3 2004, 10:12 PM
Post #22

Target

It's spelled Ra's al Ghul, just for completeness sake...or something :D

+Quote Post
Shadow
post Apr 3 2004, 10:42 PM
Post #23

Why oh why didn't I take the blue pill.

Member No.: 2,006

QUOTE (John Campbell)
Spidey'd win a first matchup, thanks to superhuman capabilities. But then Batman would go home, obsessively brood on his defeat, design and build Spidey-defeating toys, and in any subsequent matchup, he'd hand Spiderman his ass. This leaves Spiderman with a net winning record, because as good guys, they'll fight once and only once before becoming allies. But Batman will still have those toys in the cave, just in case....

I know cross-over comic book match ups are a fruitless debate, but I tell you, Spidey would win. and you will never convince me otherwise so nyah.

:)

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Apr 3 2004, 11:14 PM
Post #24

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

Spider-man is a great source of inspiration for creating a character, both for the theme and for one of the better-developed personalities in comics (although as with every corporate-owned character, he has had his ups and downs, quality-wise. With people like Straszinski writing it now, it is currently very good).

But he is overpowered for Shadowrun. After the story arc where he temporarily gained cosmic powers, the villains he had beated while cosmically-powered all teamed up for revenge. Graviton, Giant-Man, and others. Spidey beat them all!

+Quote Post
Jon Szeto
post Apr 4 2004, 12:40 AM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 119

Re: Spidey vs. Batman:

Dudes. Take this to the HeroClix forum.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 03:23 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.