Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Copies of programs, +Assisting rules
lunavoco
post Oct 3 2011, 06:03 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,241

My character is being contracted to setup a better matrix security for a client. I'm planning on buying her several Agents to do the matrix work for her. If she has three agents, can they all use her programs at the same time, or do i need to buy a seperate copy for each agent, and another copy for her?

Are there assistance rules in SR4? EG: Can my character help a different character with a task?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Brazilian_Shinob...
post Oct 3 2011, 06:34 PM
Post #2

Shooting Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 17,437

QUOTE (lunavoco @ Oct 3 2011, 03:03 PM) *
My character is being contracted to setup a better matrix security for a client. I'm planning on buying her several Agents to do the matrix work for her. If she has three agents, can they all use her programs at the same time, or do i need to buy a seperate copy for each agent, and another copy for her?

Are there assistance rules in SR4? EG: Can my character help a different character with a task?

There are assistance rules in SR4, AFB right now, but they are there somewhere.
And you only need multiple copies if you want more than one of the agents or user using the same software at the same time. For instance, if you want one agent to look for hackers and another to attack them, you woul need one Analyze for the first agent and one attack program for the second.

+Quote Post
lunavoco
post Oct 3 2011, 06:36 PM
Post #3

Target

Member No.: 18,241

QUOTE (Brazilian_Shinobi @ Oct 3 2011, 02:34 PM) *
There are assistance rules in SR4, AFB right now, but they are there somewhere.
And you only need multiple copies if you want more than one of the agents or user using the same software at the same time. For instance, if you want one agent to look for hackers and another to attack them, you woul need one Analyze for the first agent and one attack program for the second.
Well, at least my character isn't spending his own money.

+Quote Post
Udoshi
post Oct 4 2011, 01:05 AM
Post #4

Runner

Member No.: 17,566

Actually, Unwired has an think that may be handy for you to use. Somewhere in the nexus section, it mentions that a node may have public-set programs that users may use instead of their own. (ie, signing onto a library server and using their Browse to search for things)

It should be possible to setup a nexus to run the same program multiple times on one user(not copied) and have authorized users on that node(the agents) use those tools to get the job done.
The main benefit of a nexus is that they can run programs of any rating. Servers aren't limited to the reponse/system limits that commlinks are.

You should also look up Automatic Analyzer settings in the main book - every agent should carry a copy of analyze.

Also, the Three Musketeer's sample IC in unwired sounds rather similiar to what you're trying to set up.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Oct 4 2011, 01:08 AM
Post #5

Immortal Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 14,465

Bah, just crack the copyright security and do your own upgrades. You don't want to trust the Corporations anyhow. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

+Quote Post
Mardrax
post Oct 4 2011, 08:37 AM
Post #6

Running Target

Member No.: 19,228

QUOTE (CanRay @ Oct 4 2011, 03:08 AM) *
Bah, just crack the copyright security and do your own upgrades. You don't want to trust the Corporations anyhow. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

And set the client up for an expensive patching contract as you go!

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Oct 4 2011, 02:15 PM
Post #7

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (Mardrax @ Oct 4 2011, 02:37 AM) *
And set the client up for an expensive patching contract as you go!

It is really not all that expensive...
Of course, you could just use Freeware (up to Rating 4)...

+Quote Post
Hound
post Oct 5 2011, 12:54 AM
Post #8

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,778

I wouldn't think you would need to buy (or even pirate) separate copies of the same program, just to run them from the same computer. It's pretty easy now to set up a program so it can run multiple copies on one computer, I can't imagine it would be different in 2070.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Oct 5 2011, 12:56 AM
Post #9

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

Not the rules.

+Quote Post
Mardrax
post Oct 5 2011, 01:25 AM
Post #10

Running Target

Member No.: 19,228

QUOTE (Hound @ Oct 5 2011, 02:54 AM) *
I wouldn't think you would need to buy (or even pirate) separate copies of the same program, just to run them from the same computer. It's pretty easy now to set up a program so it can run multiple copies on one computer, I can't imagine it would be different in 2070.

You're doing this "reality" thing. Please stop it. Some of us have allergies, you know.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 04:54 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.