IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

46 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> OOC: The Sun Never Sets, OOC Thread for The Sun Never Sets
phlapjack77
post Jan 17 2012, 07:43 AM
Post #76


Runner
******

Group: Members
Posts: 3,473
Joined: 24-May 10
From: Beijing
Member No.: 18,611



I hear ya - I don't think Smohalla can do much now either until Stogie accepts / declines the wolf shifter's offer.
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
pbangarth
post Jan 17 2012, 07:55 AM
Post #77


Captain Canuck
*********

Group: Dumpshocked
Posts: 7,081
Joined: 14-August 03
From: Toronto - centre of the universe
Member No.: 5,463



OK, I was waiting for input form the team. I didn't want to steamroll anyone's PC. We are stuck out in the middle of nowhere. Smohalla in bird form and Jake are no problem, but the metahumans might have a hard night of it.

Hmmm... that gives me something about which to talk to our 'host'.
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
phlapjack77
post Jan 17 2012, 08:23 AM
Post #78


Runner
******

Group: Members
Posts: 3,473
Joined: 24-May 10
From: Beijing
Member No.: 18,611



It's cool - I'm ok with Stogie taking the lead here.
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
Tecumseh
post Jan 19 2012, 08:10 AM
Post #79


Moving Target
**

Group: Members
Posts: 791
Joined: 1-September 11
From: Seattle
Member No.: 37,075



A new IC post is up here. You still have the chance to talk to the shifter before he leaves, if you like.

Assuming that you spend the night here, I'm going to call for everyone to make a Survival test. The rules are on p.137 of SR4A. I'm going to call the terrain Moderate, so everyone is rolling against a threshold of 2. Both Forest and Mountain specializations apply here.

As for the situation modifiers, I'm flexible on the question of what Stogie and Elessar are carrying with them, within reason. If you think they would have it ICly then include it in your post. If not, go ahead and apply the appropriate modifier. Overnight temperatures will hover around freezing, so I'll call the weather conditions "poor" (-1). No modifier for extended travel/exertion, but maybe tomorrow. Water and food are scarce unless you brought it with you, unless you want to get resourceful and try to find it. (Although that's an odd modifier, since a core purpose of the skill is "finding edible food and water".)

Go ahead and post what your character does, and feel free to fill it out a bit. This is also an opportunity to discuss the situation in relative privacy and to figure out a course of action for the coming day.

You don't have to wait for everyone else to post before posting again; no need to wait your turn, so to speak. If what you do next is dependent on someone else (or me, pending a question about the situation), go ahead and post something here so that we're not all waiting around for someone to break the silence. Let's see if we can get a few posts up before the weekend. I'm hoping to build some momentum so that we don't grind to a halt.

Let me know if there are comments or questions! Game on!
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
pbangarth
post Jan 19 2012, 04:01 PM
Post #80


Captain Canuck
*********

Group: Dumpshocked
Posts: 7,081
Joined: 14-August 03
From: Toronto - centre of the universe
Member No.: 5,463



Stogie's got a dice pool of 9 for Survival here in the mountains, take away 1 for the conditions is 8. We could probably do this as a team test, no, Tecumseh?

Of course I haven't fleshed out his gear list yet. Why would I have done something like that? And have some survival gear, at least some nutrition bars? Noooooo... So, given his Skill set, I would like to cheat a bit and say he has things like fire starting materials and some basic nutrition with him. At least for Jake's sake!
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
pbangarth
post Jan 19 2012, 04:11 PM
Post #81


Captain Canuck
*********

Group: Dumpshocked
Posts: 7,081
Joined: 14-August 03
From: Toronto - centre of the universe
Member No.: 5,463



So here's Stogie's roll with his 8 dice==> 1 HIT

Well shit. Starting early, I see. I better use Edge so we don't end up being hungry and cold when we meet the Sisters.

7 dice ==> 2 HITS

Alright, 3 Hits total. We should survive with that.

2 Edge left.
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
pbangarth
post Jan 19 2012, 04:28 PM
Post #82


Captain Canuck
*********

Group: Dumpshocked
Posts: 7,081
Joined: 14-August 03
From: Toronto - centre of the universe
Member No.: 5,463



Jake has Stogie's Animal Empathy(4) Power transferred to him. If we run across some game, Jake will herd it to Stogie who will shoot it. Without a doubt the wolves are watching us, and we'll keep track of them as well as we can.

While we're out here, if Stogie et al quickly manage to find the necessary materials to survive, he wouldn't mind having a look around to see if the area is good for raw reagents. He won't actively look for them, as he is busy hunting and I don't think you can do both (though getting animal reagents is basically the same), but just to get a sense of the area. This could be one reason the Sisters are working to keep people out.
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
Tecumseh
post Jan 19 2012, 08:41 PM
Post #83


Moving Target
**

Group: Members
Posts: 791
Joined: 1-September 11
From: Seattle
Member No.: 37,075



I think I started my post intending to write something about a Teamwork test but had forgotten to do so by the time I finished.

Smohalla has the highest Survival skill rating. Unless he's going to sleep in a tree and not participate, I'll make him the point person for the purposes of the test. Atropos, why don't you roll your dice and we'll add your successes to Phlapjack's roll. Phlapjack, add 1 dice to your test from Pbangarth's initial roll. Unless you guys absolutely shank the kick here then Pbangarth's Edge reroll won't be necessary. I'll base what you can find off of Smohalla/Phlapjack's final successes.

Atropos, it looks like this will be your first roll of the game. If you need a walkthrough of how to use Invisible Castle, let me know.

Pbangarth, having some nutrition bars with you makes sense. Stogie has the Sustenance power so you won't need anything to eat right now, and you'll be fine with a just a few hours of sleep tonight. Tomorrow you'll be wanting your solid meal though.

I'll say you guys have a good hour of decent daylight left, plus another hour of dusk. There will be a 3rd quarter moon tonight, with conditions ranging between clear and mostly cloudy. I think everyone has ways to deal with low light conditions. Even Jake seems to have low-light vision, based on my 60 seconds of research.
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
pbangarth
post Jan 20 2012, 05:41 AM
Post #84


Captain Canuck
*********

Group: Dumpshocked
Posts: 7,081
Joined: 14-August 03
From: Toronto - centre of the universe
Member No.: 5,463



OK, thanks for the Edge back. Didn't know about Smohalla. Great to have Survivorman...err... bird.... on hand, buddy.
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
AtroposReborn
post Jan 21 2012, 09:47 PM
Post #85


Moving Target
**

Group: Members
Posts: 316
Joined: 22-September 11
From: Columbia
Member No.: 38,630



Unfortunatly I've never used Invisible Castle before and I don't have access to it at work. Sorry for not informing everyone that I was out of town (it was pretty short notice) but I'm back and ready to get things rolling. I'd be fine with grabbing some kindling if that's whats needed at the moment so we don't all freeze to death. I'd imagine Ellesar could use his tomahawk like a hatchet if need be. Also, the suit he's wearing has insulation. Not sure if that has any affect on rolls or whatnot but thought I'd mention it just in case.
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
AtroposReborn
post Jan 22 2012, 04:13 PM
Post #86


Moving Target
**

Group: Members
Posts: 316
Joined: 22-September 11
From: Columbia
Member No.: 38,630



Here's my survival roll: 2 hits

Not sure where that puts us, but that gives us at 3 hits total without Stogie's Edge.

Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
Tecumseh
post Jan 23 2012, 05:53 AM
Post #87


Moving Target
**

Group: Members
Posts: 791
Joined: 1-September 11
From: Seattle
Member No.: 37,075



Here's the Teamwork roll for the Survival test. You collectively pass the threshold so you don't have any trouble making a fire, finding something to eat, and getting your accommodations set up so that they're passably comfortable. I'll post something to get you started, but please continue to roleplay, add flavor, and discuss the situation at hand.
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
phlapjack77
post Jan 26 2012, 01:06 PM
Post #88


Runner
******

Group: Members
Posts: 3,473
Joined: 24-May 10
From: Beijing
Member No.: 18,611



Yeah, I really have to apologize too. I forgot to inform ya'll that I would be away for a week - Chinese New Year and all. Hello from 广西 (GuangXi)!

Sorry about that, I'll try really hard to say something in the future.
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
phlapjack77
post Jan 31 2012, 03:00 AM
Post #89


Runner
******

Group: Members
Posts: 3,473
Joined: 24-May 10
From: Beijing
Member No.: 18,611



Smohalla's summoning a watcher spirit for guarding the the cave entrance. F5, I didn't think to roll drain 'cause I figured he was going to sleep anyway...
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
Tecumseh
post Jan 31 2012, 07:40 AM
Post #90


Moving Target
**

Group: Members
Posts: 791
Joined: 1-September 11
From: Seattle
Member No.: 37,075



Phlapjack, a watcher spirit or an air spirit? Watcher spirits don't have force - they're just Force 1 - with the hits being the number of hours they stick around.

Sunrise will be at just before 8am, but the sky will start to lighten just after 6am. You're not sure exactly when the shifter will come to fetch you. (He said "daybreak".) Depending what time you bed down, that will be +/- 12 hours from now. Since a watcher won't last that long, I'm going to assume you meant a regular air spirit.

Nice work! It is one of the finest air spirits you've ever summoned. (Here's the last dice from the power focus that I forgot to include.)

The spirit doesn't resist and there's no drain. The spirit, despite its relatively high force, is quite docile and happy to follow your instructions. It will obediently watch the mouth of the cave until morning. You get the impression that it could probably have breakfast caught, cooked, and ready for you by the time you get up. Or perhaps you'd care for a massage? You knocked it out of the park with this one.
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
Tecumseh
post Jan 31 2012, 08:00 AM
Post #91


Moving Target
**

Group: Members
Posts: 791
Joined: 1-September 11
From: Seattle
Member No.: 37,075



All, we can fast forward to the midnight massacre morning whenever you're ready. I haven't seen much of a plan for the coming day, other than to hear the Sisters out and then play it by ear. I might casually suggest that you have a bit of privacy now to formulate a course of action. What are you going to do if you don't like what the Sisters have to say? Open fire? Nod politely and excuse yourselves? Ask them out on dates, and maybe by finding boys they give up on their rebellious youth? Or do you just want to do as Smohalla does, and wing it? Eh, eh? Wing it? Aaah.

Pbangarth, your cooking is a smash hit. Artisan skill, for the win!
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
phlapjack77
post Jan 31 2012, 08:23 AM
Post #92


Runner
******

Group: Members
Posts: 3,473
Joined: 24-May 10
From: Beijing
Member No.: 18,611



booo! hisss! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Sorry, I confused my terminology/rules, I was going for a watcher spirit that would last for X hours, but a F5 air spirit with no drain rocks too!

I'll have it using Guard and Concealment on us, as well as watching the entrance, for 3 services.

The other ones, before it departs...hmmmm. I think I'll leave them be, and if nothing comes up, the spirit can depart at daybreak with Smohalla's thanks.
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
pbangarth
post Jan 31 2012, 08:24 AM
Post #93


Captain Canuck
*********

Group: Dumpshocked
Posts: 7,081
Joined: 14-August 03
From: Toronto - centre of the universe
Member No.: 5,463



Wow, if he can cook like that, he can make a career in a top restaurant in Paris!

There are a lot of variables. I suspect that the wolves and the shapeshifter will be present at this first meeting to protect the Sisters. And probably a spirit or three. A frontal assault when they are most alert may not be the best course of action. (Did that consideration ever stop a Runner team, though?)

If I were to guess, I would say that there will probably be a claim that what they did was justified, and the reasons presented. Then we will have a chance to agree with their choice, or maybe at least check it out. Once checked out, we may have an opportunity to rectify the situation they are combating, or go on the offensive against them, at a time more of our own choosing.

Hmmm.... maybe this should be said IC.
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
pbangarth
post Jan 31 2012, 08:27 AM
Post #94


Captain Canuck
*********

Group: Dumpshocked
Posts: 7,081
Joined: 14-August 03
From: Toronto - centre of the universe
Member No.: 5,463



Wow. Tecumseh must have read my mind as I was composing my last message. Thanks, big guy!
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
phlapjack77
post Jan 31 2012, 08:31 AM
Post #95


Runner
******

Group: Members
Posts: 3,473
Joined: 24-May 10
From: Beijing
Member No.: 18,611



I'm up for some IC discussion. I (stupidly) already made Smohalla close his eyes. I'm not sure if you (Tecumseh) want to introduce the morning, then we can have an IC talk, or if Stogie / Ellesar start talking, Smohalla can "wake up" and have the discussion...
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
Tecumseh
post Jan 31 2012, 04:47 PM
Post #96


Moving Target
**

Group: Members
Posts: 791
Joined: 1-September 11
From: Seattle
Member No.: 37,075



This is a PbP game and thus not in real time. So that the game doesn't crawl along minute-by-minute, it requires a certain amount of announcing what you intend to do in the near future, with small skips forward and backward in time as you hear from other players or as the GM fills things in. I'm not concerned with modest lapses in continuity. It's not a problem at all that Smohalla closed his eyes but then a conversation ensues.
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
pbangarth
post Feb 2 2012, 04:37 AM
Post #97


Captain Canuck
*********

Group: Dumpshocked
Posts: 7,081
Joined: 14-August 03
From: Toronto - centre of the universe
Member No.: 5,463



Do the rest of us know the Cascade Ork thing? If we do, I'll go back through the text to see what Stogie might respond. Otherwise he might be interested to know what that story is.
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
Tecumseh
post Feb 2 2012, 06:41 AM
Post #98


Moving Target
**

Group: Members
Posts: 791
Joined: 1-September 11
From: Seattle
Member No.: 37,075



Technically it's up to Phlapjack to determine how much Smohalla would have shared, but given that I initially asked that your characters know and trust each other then I would say that the default is that he recounted his conversation with Grugnir to everyone.

The nature of play-by-post assumes a certain amount of inexplicit information sharing, otherwise - in a situation like this - Phlapjack would have to repost everything I originally wrote, which would be an unnecessary duplication most of the time. If I think a conversation is sensitive or that it's more important to maintain privacy to preserve the IC/OOC divide then I'll PM the player directly.

Atropos, anything you want to add to the conversation in the cave? Elessar has Leadership, which includes strategy/tactics, at level 4, so he'd likely have some valuable input. You can roll it if you think your character would know or think of something that you the player can't. That goes for Smohalla too, Phlapjack.
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
phlapjack77
post Feb 2 2012, 07:38 AM
Post #99


Runner
******

Group: Members
Posts: 3,473
Joined: 24-May 10
From: Beijing
Member No.: 18,611



Yeah, I had also assumed everyone knew all the info, unless it was privately PM'd or something. I definitely read all of the stuff ya'll talked about while Smohalla was talking with the ork (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I had been thinking, I'd like to see if Smohalla knows enough about the area to make a guess / guesses about where the Sisters might be holed up. Probably less than a day by foot from our current location, should be semi-habitable, maybe near running water, etc. If he can think of a few places they might be, he can let the others (Ellesar in particular) know, in case he needs to formulate some strategy stuff. Teamwork test on the strategy?
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post
pbangarth
post Feb 2 2012, 09:33 AM
Post #100


Captain Canuck
*********

Group: Dumpshocked
Posts: 7,081
Joined: 14-August 03
From: Toronto - centre of the universe
Member No.: 5,463



Oh, OK. Yeah, then Stogie's thoughts run a little differently. Let's say Smohalla shares his knowledge now, so I don't have to go back and edit. I'll post something in the next day.
Go to the top of the page
 
+Quote Post

46 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 6 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

 



RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th October 2014 - 07:04 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.