Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Beast Handler PC, Is it viable?
BlackJaw
post Nov 2 2011, 12:57 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,213

These are not the simplest characters, I grant you that, but I'm curious to see if it's viable and I don't see one using my meager search-fu.

Is it possible to make a reasonably RAW Beast Handler 400bp type character? One that wouldn't be a whacked out crazy option in a basic shadowrun team?

As in: you can't walk the streets with your awakened grizzly bear, but you might not have an issue with snakes (in a bag), rats, dogs, cats, and the especially stealth critters.

I'm especially curious about:
1) Can you start play with a technocritter without outright bribing a GM? They don't seem to have prices or some other way to get one.
2) Is it better to go biodrone rigging or awakened animal manipulation? Is doing both viable if I don't get (much) implants but do pickup a few magical features?
3) Is doing this well still too expensive when done reasonably (such as lifestyle costs using advanced lifestyles, proper transport vehicle(s), and fake licenses)

Mostly I'm thinking about a combination of scouting critters and transportable combat critters, with maybe some nifty utility critters if you know of any. I'm not talking about riding monsters through the streets.

Is there some very obvious downsides I'm missing? Dual natured pets slamming into wards, etc.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
HunterHerne
post Nov 2 2011, 01:09 AM
Post #2

Running Target

Member No.: 19,166

I have to say, I am a huge fan of the concept, but it is a risky proposition. For most of the tasks you'd want the animals to do, it isn't always going to happen, and to get it reasonable, they are expensive. Also, unlike most things in RPG's, the animal training rules actually have degredation related rules with them. I would suggest having at most three animals, unless they are all the same species (a pack of hellhounds, for instance), and go from there.

For the average urban campaign, the animals I recomend are the Bandit (awakened racoon. It can pick locks), maybe some rats or a cat (mundane or awakened doesn't matter, they are found everywhere anyway), and for something for combat, you'd want an awakened pet that looks relatively harmless. A Century Ferret might be a good idea as well, as it can naturally sense awakened creatures/objects, including foci, and mages.

A NPC I created a while back used this idea. He had a ferret to look around (with a strapped on camera), and a Basilisk for help in combat (the paralyzing stone gaze helped, too), but otherwise, he pretty much relied on his own abilities, the pets were just back-up.

+Quote Post
Udoshi
post Nov 2 2011, 02:17 AM
Post #3

Runner

Member No.: 17,566

The biggest problem with such a character is actually the availability for the 'good' creatures in Running Wild, as you will need to grab Restricted Gear to start with them. Biodrones are bad as well, since Stirrup Interfaces have a -really- high availability. Its like move by wire, except worse. Or maybe just as bad.

There ARE ways around it. Most of them involve starting with a high/luxury lifestyle, and buying what you need after creation.

That being said, you may want to expand your concept into that of the Poke-Rancher Adept. What's that? Its a mystic adept that specializes in hunting down rare creatures, including spirits! Using the combination of Banishing and Summoning them right back, he tames them and brings them into his service. (if a spirit is annoying you, then his services may be bought - nothing sends a clear message to a spirit like being banished, summoned, bound, and ordered to write 'i will not x' on a chalkboard until their services run out). That being said, not all of his critters are enemies - he can also take jobs to, say, free ally spirits, or take a job on behalf of a spirit to banish it from an asshole/spirit abuser mage's employ.
This also exploits a certain gap in the character creation rules, in which you may buy bound spirits for 1bp/service. The spirits you get do NOT have to be from your tradition, and is a great way to bring some unexpected firepower tot he table.

On the critter side, being a mystic adept, the pokerancher still has access to Animal attunement , and other stuff for making critters useful. Synesthesia from Spy Games may be useful, as it lets you see through the eyes and ears of a bound or unbound spirit. No test, no action, unlimited range in the physical or astral world(metaplanes disallowed specifically).

A possible exploit involves Biodrones and the Totem's Way from way of the adept. Animal Attunement costs a number of karma equal to the critter's essence, and the totem's way reduces that cost by 1 with no listed minimum. A critter with augmentations has a lowered essence. So if you really really want a bunch of magical cyborg robot squid....... well, there you go.

An interesting, if far less useful/interesting alternative is an AI Wrangling Technomancer. Its best done in Karmagen with Submersions allowed. Grab Feral Resonance from War!(i know i know) and as many annoying, data munging AI's as you can. I'm a fan of the Money Trie, which lets to wreak all sorts of havoc with financial data. Mister moneybags, the economic hitman.

If you're going to make heavy use of critters, though, there are lifestyle options in running wild having to do with the upkeep of pets. Make sure to snag the appropriate ones.

Also, Blackberry Cats are fun. You think cats are fun? Think about the antics it would get up to if it could use Movement at will! it might actually catch that laser pointer.

+Quote Post
Squinky
post Nov 2 2011, 03:51 AM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 7,377

I looked into this, and truthfully, it kinda sucks.

If you do manage to get some animals that are worthy, whats to keep them from getting shot to death? Also, the few adept animal options are kinda lame.

Really, your best bet is to be a rigger with your drones made up to look like animals (mimic option). They can actually have armor, and can be repaired. And you can share senses with them easier than with that lame adept power...

+Quote Post
Hound
post Nov 2 2011, 08:25 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,778

yeah it seems to me that this would not be viable w/o some significant houserules. I mean yeah, a pack of hellhounds or barghests is going to be scary as fuck, but it's also going to have absolutely no stealth at all. And as Squinky mentioned, it's hard to keep them from getting shot up. It's a really awesome idea, but sadly it's not very efficient and there are other options that do it better (spirits, drones, etc.) IMO it kind of doesn't fit that well in shadowrun anyways. I've had characters with pets before, but none that based a majority of their damage upon them.

+Quote Post
Daylen
post Nov 2 2011, 02:43 PM
Post #6

Running Target

Member No.: 17,952

QUOTE (Hound @ Nov 2 2011, 09:25 AM) *
yeah it seems to me that this would not be viable w/o some significant houserules. I mean yeah, a pack of hellhounds or barghests is going to be scary as fuck, but it's also going to have absolutely no stealth at all. And as Squinky mentioned, it's hard to keep them from getting shot up. It's a really awesome idea, but sadly it's not very efficient and there are other options that do it better (spirits, drones, etc.) IMO it kind of doesn't fit that well in shadowrun anyways. I've had characters with pets before, but none that based a majority of their damage upon them.

One simply needs to choose the animals wisely. I believe shapeshifters are still classified as animals (not metahumans) that can take human form. Or perhaps an awakened version of a timberwolf, and put him on a leash when walking down main street. A bandit could be nice if hidden in a backpack, heck he'd probably like it as he could sleep and lounge while being brought around.

+Quote Post
Modular Man
post Nov 2 2011, 03:38 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,317

It may get a lot more useful if you throw in a spirit that gets both Immunity to Normal Weapons and Endowment - bulletproof critters, now.
The problem is that animals can't handle too much damage... no armor and low body, mostly. Maybe, maybe you can talk your GM into FFBAs for critters.
Also, there's still Neraph's Death Squirrel.

+Quote Post
HunterHerne
post Nov 2 2011, 03:49 PM
Post #8

Running Target

QUOTE (Modular Man @ Nov 2 2011, 12:38 PM) *
It may get a lot more useful if you throw in a spirit that gets both Immunity to Normal Weapons and Endowment - bulletproof critters, now.
The problem is that animals can't handle too much damage... no armor and low body, mostly. Maybe, maybe you can talk your GM into FFBAs for critters.

Why are people assuming there is no armour for animals? If you expect to be getting your critter into a fight (say, possible hunting accidents...) I'm sure you could get barding for hunting dogs, or similar. I've gone so far as to equip some hell hounds with some Armour Clothing (think, hellhounds with those fuzzy shirts some people make for their dogs, that is also bullet resistant.) Going the Biodrone route, you can always give the critter orthoskin or dermal plating. One of the standard biodrones has full body dermal sheath with Chameleon coating option.

As for the body, yeah, that's an issue. Even with training I think most of them can only raise by one, maybe two, points. (to a maximum of 1.5 time natural, and you need to keep up training for it to stay...). Genetic optimization is a possibility (even moreso because most animals you'll have as pets will be shorter lived ones, so the genetic treatments cost less), but that is expensive, too.

+Quote Post
ggodo
post Nov 2 2011, 04:15 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 21,972

The Bear shape shaman discovered this after getting shot a couple times, and found a guy who could custom fit armor and got himself an armor vest. A Bear Sized armor vest.

+Quote Post
HunterHerne
post Nov 2 2011, 04:20 PM
Post #10

Running Target

QUOTE (ggodo @ Nov 2 2011, 01:15 PM) *
The Bear shape shaman discovered this after getting shot a couple times, and found a guy who could custom fit armor and got himself an armor vest. A Bear Sized armor vest.

I've suggested it for common forms when using Shapeshifting magicians, too. But that has it's own concerns for a few forms, and is clearly recognizable.

+Quote Post
Daylen
post Nov 2 2011, 04:50 PM
Post #11

Running Target

Member No.: 17,952

QUOTE (Modular Man @ Nov 2 2011, 03:38 PM) *

um... http://www.bulletproofme.com/Canine_Vests.shtml

+Quote Post
BlackJaw
post Nov 2 2011, 05:30 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

I was already thinking about playing this character as a Magician so I could use healing spells to maintain my critter collection.

Now that it's been brought up, I guess taking a possession tradition and dropping Beast Spirits into my pets would make them considerably more potent. Immunity to Normal Weapons, natural Weapon boosts, extra initiative pass, Force bonus to ability scores, better control (via spirit services.)

It's not a bad idea.

Also in a similar concept are using spells to apply armor and other boosts to the pets, as needed.

In terms of viable pet ideas:

1) DOG: I figure a Dog works as my combat animal/protector. As long as I have the right (fake) licence, and maybe the skill-set to fake being blind, I can get away with bringing the dog into most places. I've seen plenty of "assistance" dogs with little dog vests on them... I'll just get the armored version of that for a little extra protection. I can also either using the possession summoning, or cyber/bioware augmentation to make him a lot more dangerous when needed.

2) RAT: Running Wild already has a listing for cyber enhanced rat. It can be controlled (but not rigged?) and send back what it sees and hears, making it a good fit for many stealth situations. It's also less noticeable than drones.

3) BIRD: Runnign Wild also has some listings for cyber enhanced birds, for use as eyes in the sky. Similar to the rat concept, for out-door surveillance. Still a lot less noticeable than drones.

Also: what is the consensus on the augmented insect swarm biodrones? I have to imagine being able to call in a swarm of killer bees could be very effective, if less than subtle.

+Quote Post
BlackJaw
post Nov 2 2011, 06:50 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Ah...here's the problem, as people posted about above: Restricted Gear.

The really useful cyberimplants for animals not only cost a fair amount of money, but they are restricted beyond 20, which makes them inaccessible to a starting character with even the Restricted Gear quality.

In particular, TRACES (which allows advanced control of a creature by altering it's instinctual impressions of things), is ratted at 25f AND costs $25,000.

This leaves the only real biodrone cyberware available to a new character as the Orientation Goad, with the Stirrup Interface rating 1 being possible with restricted gear and a hefty price tag.

Oddly, the example animals don't have a restriction listing... so in theory I could buy a complete biodrone but not the parts to make my own?

I'm also curious about the VGI setup. I think I could, in theory, produce 1 cat sized critter a month for something like $50,000 upfront, as long as I have a decent enough lab to go with it. Also, I can't tweak the "cat" design... but only makes clones (which can then accept implant in the nice lab that is needed for VGI.)

It could still be an interesting option... Could I, in theory, make an interesting Chimeric Cat which I could clone for constant replacements?

EDIT: VGI setups require access to nanotech. nanotech requires a medical facility. Medical facilities cost $200,000, not counting the lifestyle able to keep that kind of space. In short: not really viable considering the VGI cost $50,000 on top of it all, per creature.

+Quote Post
ggodo
post Nov 2 2011, 08:41 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 21,972

QUOTE (HunterHerne @ Nov 2 2011, 09:20 AM) *
I've suggested it for common forms when using Shapeshifting magicians, too. But that has it's own concerns for a few forms, and is clearly recognizable.

Yeah, when we need the bear, subtlety is pretty much all gone. It's great for hunting Toxics in Puyallup, though it was certainly a disadvantage at that fundraising dinner. . .

+Quote Post
BlackJaw
post Nov 2 2011, 10:03 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

So it looks like a viable character concept is to make a Magician/Animal Trainer/Vet, with a small selection of interesting animals, which I can enhance by possessing with a Beast Spirit.

Dogs, Cats, Birds, and a number of other creatures are not prohibitively expensive to buy, and becasue base animal cost is the starting point for Warforms and Chimeric animals, it's not unlikely that I could make some fairly interesting base critters for a few thousand each. If I include some bioware, they cost goes up, especially with chimerics.

Scout critters will require some extra implants for transmitting and remote controlling, but nothing prohibitively expensive.

My lifestyle costs will require some interesting calculations, and I will definitely be wanting to make use of the special options in Running Wild to secure the proper needs without actually having to live on a farm.
Vehicle wise, I suspect a Truck will be sufficient for transporting dogs, and maybe the odd insect hive or transgenic combat bear.

I'd also like to take a Medical Shop option so I can properly treat and work on my animals (or fellow runners.) I may also, if it can be afforded, get magical background count up and place a Lodge, further helping me on both magic security and saving "patients" via magic. I'll also have to look into getting a proper mentor spirit. Horse has both Health and Beast Spirits, but I Crocodile, Bear, or something else might better fit a Runner.

A big consideration to look out right now is which spirits are best for placing into an animal, and what possession spirits provide them?

+Quote Post
Udoshi
post Nov 2 2011, 10:52 PM
Post #16

Runner

QUOTE (BlackJaw @ Nov 2 2011, 11:50 AM) *
EDIT: VGI setups require access to nanotech. nanotech requires a medical facility. Medical facilities cost $200,000, not counting the lifestyle able to keep that kind of space. In short: not really viable considering the VGI cost $50,000 on top of it all, per creature.

The best way you're going to be able to actually pull this off in game is with a combination of the following.

Global fame (Steve Irwin, the animal doctor/surgeon man.
Day job 3 (The Omni-vet/ doctor)
This nets you a monthly income of 50,000.
Combine with Trust Fund 1: So you don't have to pay -any- money on lifestyle costs. Using the advanced lifestyle rules, it should be fairly easy to get the space and security you need for this.
And one month of a luxury lifestyle, using the Hotel rules to start with a day of it for the starting money.

You may need the Cybertechnology/Medicine/Hardware skills to install/make the cyberware yourself, but it should be doable. It may take most of your auto-money to DO animal cyberware installations, but hey, just think of it as being a disney cartoon villian.
Twirl your moustachio while unleashing cybernetic bears on unsuspecting runners.

Also, something our group came up with a while ago. Awakened Pigeons, or other birds that live on property. Anything with a Magic rating can make Wards, and you can use the animal training rules to make a flock of birds or other awakened animals learn to do it on command or as a trick. Its a cheap way to make self-sustaining magical security.
Plus a flock of pigeons trying to poo on the spirits they can see is kinda funny.

+Quote Post
whatevs
post Nov 2 2011, 11:37 PM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 21,915

Reply if anyone else thought the title of this thread was BREAST Handler.

+Quote Post
Ol' Scratch
post Nov 3 2011, 03:06 AM
Post #18

Immortal Elf

Group: Validating
Member No.: 1,890

Honestly, the best way to pull of being a "beast handler" is to not be one at all and instead be a biodrone rigger or some kind of shaman conjurer with a penchant for materializing your spirits as animals. Handling actual paranormal critters as a shadowrunner just doesn't work. There's just too many situations where they're a hindrance rather than a boon, and not just in the lifestyle department. Even taking an ordinary dog with you on your runs is completely impractical.

What you could do, however, is go with an improvisational beast master. Someone with spells and powers like Control Animal, Control Pack, and access to possession-based Beast Spirits (or any spirits at all) means you can take control of the various critters you run into. I believe there's a variation of Tailored Pheromones that can help out, too. That way you don't have to worry about any of the ordinary logistics or costs of maintaining and smuggling your animals, but it still lets you do what you wanna do whenever it's actually practical. And should one be killed during a run, eh, it'd be a shame but it won't be any skin off your back. If they survive, you can always sell them on the black market for a tidy profit, too.

+Quote Post
Bodak
post Nov 3 2011, 04:26 AM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,015

QUOTE (Udoshi @ Nov 3 2011, 08:52 AM) *
Anything with a Magic rating can make Wards,
Is the capacity for astral perception a prerequisite? For example, I didn't think a regular Adept without the AP power could contribute to wards.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Nov 3 2011, 04:29 AM
Post #20

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (Bodak @ Nov 2 2011, 09:26 PM) *
Is the capacity for astral perception a prerequisite? For example, I didn't think a regular Adept without the AP power could contribute to wards.

You have to be able to Astrally Perceive.

+Quote Post
Udoshi
post Nov 3 2011, 04:31 AM
Post #21

Runner

QUOTE (Bodak @ Nov 2 2011, 09:26 PM) *

I don't know off the top of my head, but I just looked it up, and it is.

4a 194: "Wards are a temporary form of dual-natured mana barrier that can be created by any Awakened being with astral perception (including spir-its and adepts with the Astral Perception power). Wards are specifically used as a security measure, to protect locations from astral intruders. "

+Quote Post
PresentPresence
post Nov 3 2011, 04:59 AM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 19,106

The pigeon would have to be Dual-Natured*...like the Storm Crow.
QUOTE ("Running Wild pg. 157")
In a flock of ten or more, stormcrows gain Dual Natured and Weather Control. Their Magic rating is equal to the number of birds in the flock divided by ten, rounded down.
Unfortunately, Storm Crows are one of those critters that didn't get a price tag. I guess that a lot of the critters were meant for GMs to introduce to the game, which sucks, because the technocritters are way cool and should totally be integrated for starting characters. Has anyone done a write-up on suggested prices for these guys?

*Unless you really want to introduce sapient pigeons with Magician/Adept with Astral Perception power. Theoretically, you could just vaporize some Deepweed in their cages.

+Quote Post
Blade
post Nov 3 2011, 09:48 AM
Post #23

Runner

Member No.: 9,466

You can do a few interesting things with a beast handler. Forget about rigging biodrones, it's too expensive and the availability is too high.

What you can do (from what I've seen) is:

- Get cheap paracritters with great powers such as the Gabriel Dog. Be careful, though, the problem of most paracritters is that they can get killed pretty quickly if they get shot at.
- Get augmented dogs. They can get really good stats for just a few nuyens.
- Equip rats and birds with cameras.
- Have a character that can manage things without his animals because you won't always be able to have them with you.

And if your GM let you get away with it, you can try to:
1. Get as many Merlin Hawks as you can at chargen
2. Argue that since they can have access to all detection powers, they should be able to mindlink with you in order to communicate.
3. Ask them, through the mindlink, to summon air spirits and to order them to help you.
4. Have fun with your many Force 5 (assuming the Merlin Hawk don't summon higher than their magic attribute) air spirits.

+Quote Post
BlackJaw
post Nov 3 2011, 08:40 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

The trouble with exotic and paranormal animals is the extreme cost in getting them trained.

I can have a pack of combat trained warform wolfdhounds for less than the cost of a single moderately trained Merlin Hawk, and I'm not sure what advantage the hawk provides... It's got some magic spellcasting and Spirit summoning, but that puts me at step removed from directing the spirit or spells. Not just a step removed, but that step is a non-sapient bird that is too expensive to risk on most runs. Hell, it's dual natured so it'll have trouble dealing with the common wards in most runs. Considering I'm already playing a spellcaster that can spells and summon spirits, the bird is still too much liability and not enough fun.

The other issue is that implants on an animal mess up Pack dynamics unless they are VGI, and VGI only works on cat-sized or smaller, so I can't easily get a pack of cyber-dogs, although I can see how making a single chimeric or warform attack dog could be rather useful.

Right now I'm looking at a small pack of 4 Warform Wolfhounds (nothing illegal about driving around town with 4 dogs in the back of your truck.) In many situations I could use 1 of them as a "seeing eye dog" and fake being semi-blind. If it's a more direct combat kind of run, I can just bring the whole pack with me, and they'll gain a nice +4 Pack/tacnet type bonus on their various actions. And of course I can always summon a possession spirit for the dogs when I need them to be crazy effective.

I'm also dropping some cash on a chimeric cyber-rat. It's modified with wall crawling and adaptive coloring, and enhanced infiltration. It's cyber eyes, ear recorder, and goad allow me to direct it on scouting missions via wireless (but no rigging.) I've also got it equipped with a shock implant, so I could use it to taze guards or fry electronics if desired. It's also got full combat training so I can use it effectively.

I'm also starting to consider getting Rat Bombs or something similar. They'd be stripped down versions of the the above rat, with an area of effect cranial bomb.

I'm also trying to track down the most appropriate rule set of making non-standard armor. I suspect it's in Runner's Companion (for the less meta-human races) and/or in Arsenal in the gear modification rules (Metahuman adjusted stuff... although it's aimed more at trolls.) I did a search for Armor in Running Wild and aside from a throw away line about elvish horse barding, there was no crunch.

+Quote Post
Udoshi
post Nov 3 2011, 10:18 PM
Post #25

Runner

QUOTE (BlackJaw @ Nov 3 2011, 01:40 PM) *
I'm also trying to track down the most appropriate rule set of making non-standard armor. I suspect it's in Runner's Companion (for the less meta-human races) and/or in Arsenal in the gear modification rules (Metahuman adjusted stuff... although it's aimed more at trolls.) I did a search for Armor in Running Wild and aside from a throw away line about elvish horse barding, there was no crunch.

A mage in a short-lived game I played used Fashion for this purpose.

He was a mage using Shapeshift, you see. Fashion can't change the protective value of clothes or armor, just the shape, thus project Cat Armor was born.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 18th April 2024 - 10:09 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.