Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Olympus fails, RL shadow run
Snow_Fox
post Nov 12 2011, 03:50 AM
Post #1

Prime Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,221

Just sharing news out of Japan that seems like it could have been a real shadow run. The camera company Olympus is in real trouble. In the last few days it's stock value has dropped by 66% and it is about to be delisted on the tokyo Stock exchange.

A couple of weeks back a high ranking gaijan in the company discovered what he thought were irregularities in the book keeping. Serious issues about reporting losses. He reported what he found and his superior, a senior VP at once fired him. Apparently this guy kept good notes, and I thought I was the only person who kept a dead man switch on my files, and it all went public. The VP had been ochestrating for years that they were hiding loses and failing to accurately report their findings. Evidence is that the president didn't know but there are criminal charges pending on the VP and his agents and the company is on the edge of collapse as investors and regulators express no faith in the company books. which is amazingly bad considering none of this affects the quality of the cameras the company produces. Being any part of htis could be a great run-finding/hiding the evidence. getting rdi of/protecting the whistle blower and finally finmding/hiding evidence or protecting/implicating various company officers. i mean maybe the president did know but he just hid his trail better.

Lastly I got this from European news agency's. the Japan Times on line, that plugs itself as the west's window on Japan made NO mention of this at all.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Tech_Rat
post Nov 13 2011, 12:43 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,910

OwO;
Wow.

+Quote Post
Snow_Fox
post Nov 13 2011, 06:40 PM
Post #3

Prime Runner

I was in a camera store yesterday and the clerk had heard none of htis but I noticed the Olympus werep retty expensive and all i could think is 'spare parts are gonna get rare."

+Quote Post
kzt
post Nov 13 2011, 08:07 PM
Post #4

Great Dragon

Member No.: 9,234

QUOTE (Snow_Fox @ Nov 11 2011, 08:50 PM) *
Lastly I got this from European news agency's. the Japan Times on line, that plugs itself as the west's window on Japan made NO mention of this at all.

Some Japanese papers report it, in at least a general way.
http://ajw.asahi.com/article/behind_news/s...AJ2011111217300

But Reuters is a lot better.
http://www.reuters.com/article/2011/11/12/...E7MB2UM20111112

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Nov 13 2011, 10:51 PM
Post #5

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

Hehe, considered runs from that reads like some kind of Horizon chess game.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Nov 13 2011, 11:01 PM
Post #6

Immortal Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 14,465

With MCT and Renraku getting involved because they want the technology/equipment/talent/everything else the company has. And it's local to them.

EDIT: Also proof you can't trust those shifty gaijan! No work ethic or concept of "Face". (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post Nov 14 2011, 02:20 AM
Post #7

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,383

QUOTE (Snow_Fox @ Nov 11 2011, 10:50 PM) *
Just sharing news out of Japan that seems like it could have been a real shadow run. The camera company Olympus is in real trouble. In the last few days it's stock value has dropped by 66% and it is about to be delisted on the tokyo Stock exchange.

A couple of weeks back a high ranking gaijan in the company discovered what he thought were irregularities in the book keeping. Serious issues about reporting losses. He reported what he found and his superior, a senior VP at once fired him. Apparently this guy kept good notes, and I thought I was the only person who kept a dead man switch on my files, and it all went public. The VP had been ochestrating for years that they were hiding loses and failing to accurately report their findings. Evidence is that the president didn't know but there are criminal charges pending on the VP and his agents and the company is on the edge of collapse as investors and regulators express no faith in the company books. which is amazingly bad considering none of this affects the quality of the cameras the company produces. Being any part of htis could be a great run-finding/hiding the evidence. getting rdi of/protecting the whistle blower and finally finmding/hiding evidence or protecting/implicating various company officers. i mean maybe the president did know but he just hid his trail better.

Gai-jin-owned! Take that, cultural tendency not to voice uncomfortable facts!

John Wayne throwing a punch: http://www.demotivationalposters.org/59482

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Nov 14 2011, 04:17 AM
Post #8

Immortal Elf

"Fill your hands, you son-of-a-bitch!"

+Quote Post
pbangarth
post Nov 14 2011, 05:14 AM
Post #9

Old Man of the North

Member No.: 5,463

QUOTE (CanRay @ Nov 13 2011, 11:17 PM) *

Heh. Late in our marriage, that's what my ex-wife used to tell me whenever I got frisky.

+Quote Post
Snow_Fox
post Nov 14 2011, 02:26 PM
Post #10

Prime Runner

kzt that was posted on Saturday, this has been brewing for a while. It's amzing/sickening how slow the japanese press is to report problems with japanese corps.I noticed it when the whole Toyoda issue came up, but politicians, they're ready to string 'em up at short notice.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Nov 14 2011, 05:14 PM
Post #11

Immortal Elf

Different culture, Snow Fox. Maybe they wanted to get facts straight and report accurately instead of being "First to announce the information!" on half-given or misunderstood data.

The Japanese Press has Face they have to be careful with as well.

Or I might just be an idiot.

+Quote Post
Snow_Fox
post Nov 14 2011, 07:35 PM
Post #12

Prime Runner

Their willingness to slaughter politicians at the drop of a hat, leaping to stories of spoorts fixing etc but easing off of corp stories seems to SR that it's almost funny, or not.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Nov 15 2011, 02:29 AM
Post #13

panda!

QUOTE (Snow_Fox @ Nov 14 2011, 04:26 PM) *
kzt that was posted on Saturday, this has been brewing for a while. It's amzing/sickening how slow the japanese press is to report problems with japanese corps.I noticed it when the whole Toyoda issue came up, but politicians, they're ready to string 'em up at short notice.

This is different from elsewhere, how? Seems like other media around the world is also reluctant towards reporting of corporate problems within their own nation. No wonder, as the corporations are prime advertisement space customers...

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Nov 15 2011, 02:41 AM
Post #14

Immortal Elf

How long did it take for us to get reports on Occupy Wall Street that wasn't from the Internet?

+Quote Post
post Nov 19 2011, 01:06 AM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 326

And of course, the Yakuza may be involved. The NYT coverage is pretty exhaustive, for those looking for run inspirations.

+Quote Post
Snow_Fox
post Nov 19 2011, 01:55 AM
Post #16

Prime Runner

The occupy guys got pretty quick notice. the news corps are so competative in the US they want to be the furst to report any rumor and apologize later if they get it werong. The only time they stay silent is when they have union problems themselves. BUT thenthe other networks delight in reporting on it. So if CBS is having a picket line,they won't report it but ABC, and NBC will give lead coverage.

Besides putting speed over accuracy the one thing with US news services that gets me down is the hopeless cross-promotions for entertainment shows on the same network- ABC is particularly bad at that.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Nov 19 2011, 02:03 AM
Post #17

Immortal Elf

Or, apparently, entertainment shows that try to pass themselves off as news.

+Quote Post
Backgammon
post Nov 20 2011, 12:55 PM
Post #18

Ain Soph Aur

Member No.: 600

Unrelated to Olympus (by the way, making cameras is just a sideline for them, they do a lot more), but I didn't want to start a thread jus for that - hers another story to inspire runs. Two Russian oligarch going at each other. Plenty of shadow opportunities (from B&E jobs to steal crucial evidence documents to assassination jobs).

http://www.economist.com/node/21531489

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Nov 20 2011, 04:19 PM
Post #19

panda!

Seems to confirm that the worst scum come dressed in suits...

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post Nov 20 2011, 05:17 PM
Post #20

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,383

QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Nov 20 2011, 12:19 PM) *

LOL, almost everyone has worn a suit.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Nov 20 2011, 05:24 PM
Post #21

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Nov 20 2011, 12:19 PM) *
And that's changed... When?

+Quote Post
post Nov 21 2011, 01:12 AM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 326

QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Nov 20 2011, 05:19 PM) *

Or uniforms. Essentially, the clothing of power, because while power doesn't necessarily make you scum - although some would argue that it does - it certainly exposes scumminess for all the world to see. But that's not the fault of the uniform, or the suit, of even of power: it's the fault of the scum itself.

+Quote Post
Snow_Fox
post Nov 21 2011, 02:48 AM
Post #23

Prime Runner

Russia's an amazing mess, add in graph and politico's and corps and gov't trying to get dirt on each other and it's a SR wonderland

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Nov 21 2011, 03:01 AM
Post #24

panda!

Expect Iraq to go the same way, being the latest nations to be slapped silly by "shock doctrine"...

Ugh, now that i think about it i wonder if some European nations will perhaps be "incentivized" into employing said doctrine...

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Nov 21 2011, 06:21 AM
Post #25

Immortal Elf

Watch Europe start the Eurowars soon as economies fall apart and debts come due. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/frown.gif)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 08:28 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.