IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Can technomancers use wireless cyber without essence loss?, Oooh! Possible munchkiny goodness!
last_of_the_grea...
post Nov 16 2011, 01:12 AM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,904

It's a wacky idea, but, with the right echoes and complex forms could a technomancer have, say, dig out his eyeballs and stick a nifty set of fully loaded cybereyes into the sockets and hack them for full use? Perhaps even better with the skinlink echo?

The smartlink and simrig complex forms gave me this idea. If smartlinks in a gun can be accessed then why not some cybereyes? I'm sure you can all think of other great examples of this too-cool idea.

Yes, I am indeed a munchkin. I make no apologies.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Megu
post Nov 16 2011, 01:14 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,268

I don't think the accessing is the problem. You'd still take the Essence loss because you're implanting a foreign object into your body.

+Quote Post
last_of_the_grea...
post Nov 16 2011, 01:19 AM
Post #3

Running Target

I believe there would be no essence loss unless you actually set up a cyberware neural link. This is basically putting "glass eyes" into the sockets... just tech ones.

Or, in a playfully snarky response: did my fillings in my teeth cost me essesnce? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

+Quote Post
Jhaiisiin
post Nov 16 2011, 01:23 AM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 8,334

Do you intend to see normally? If so, DNI needed and thus, essence loss. You can't expect to hack your fake eyes, and use their camera feeds, and still function normally. After all, the eyes won't move unless you attach them to actuators, which need to know how to move, and again, DNI. So no. Bad munchkin. No biscuit.

+Quote Post
last_of_the_grea...
post Nov 16 2011, 01:31 AM
Post #5

Running Target

Hmmm. You may be right there. I've been told that glass eyes kinda... roam a little.

The concept is still sound, though. Right? Like an implanted commlink? Or an orientation system (not put in the head, of course)? Or an auto injector? Or, heck, how about a cyberlimb?

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Nov 16 2011, 01:36 AM
Post #6

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

You're describing wearing Cameras on your face. Anyone can do that. You can't break any of the cyber rules, though: cyber mods go/work only in actual implants.

The limb is very unlikely. If you could get a no-Essence limb (no DNI)—which might be possible—you'd have to control it action-by-action using Command (best case scenario).

You can indeed put a normal commlink under your skin, if you're okay gouging out that much flesh. It'll have to get recharged somehow, and you'll only be able to control it 'remotely'… which defeats the only purpose of the implanted commlink.

A number (most?) of cyber items exist as 'gear' equivalents already; just get those. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Daylen
post Nov 16 2011, 01:38 AM
Post #7

Running Target

Member No.: 17,952

What rule makes you think it is possible to take no essence loss for cyberware?

+Quote Post
last_of_the_grea...
post Nov 16 2011, 01:41 AM
Post #8

Running Target

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Nov 15 2011, 05:36 PM) *
You're describing wearing Cameras on your face. Anyone can do that. You can't break any of the cyber rules, though: cyber mods go/work only in actual implants.

A number (most?) of cyber items exist as 'gear' equivalents already; just get those. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

You are taking away my fun here! If I wanna spend far more money than I need to for the sake of techno-dorkyness can't you let me? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

And I do believe the smartlink and simrig complex forms and the skinlink echo, not to mention the bio-radar advanced echo shows that cyber rules can indeed be broken.

+Quote Post
last_of_the_grea...
post Nov 16 2011, 01:44 AM
Post #9

Running Target

QUOTE (Daylen @ Nov 15 2011, 05:38 PM) *

It's just an idea. I remember reading somewhere that it's the neural link or genetic alterations that cause the sessence loss. I forget where, though. Dammit, now you made me need to go look it up! Where's my Augmentation book?

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Nov 16 2011, 02:03 AM
Post #10

Advocatus Diaboli

I don't see the connection between gear-like CFs/Echoes, and breaking the cyber rules. You could maybe get a CF/Echo of something (GM approval, if it made sense), but that's got nothing to do with whether a cyberlimb mod works outside of a normal cyberlimb. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

It's true that not all implants cost Essence. The question is whether those that *do* would function otherwise.

+Quote Post
Udoshi
post Nov 16 2011, 06:18 AM
Post #11

Runner

Member No.: 17,566

QUOTE (Daylen @ Nov 15 2011, 06:38 PM) *

Hey, if it works for teeth.....

Kidding, kidding. In all seriousness, there ARE zero essence cyberware mods already in the rules. In the core book, even.

+Quote Post
KarmaInferno
post Nov 16 2011, 01:00 PM
Post #12

Old Man Jones

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 1,699

QUOTE (Daylen @ Nov 15 2011, 08:38 PM) *

Well, it's not entirely unreasonable.

If your eyes get gouged out you don't take essence loss. That loss doesn't happen until you actually have cybereyes implanted and hooked into your brain.

If you just stuck cybereyes into the empty sockets without any DNI connections there should be no essense loss, anymore than strapping a camera to your head would.

But why gouge your eyes out when you can, in fact, strap a camera to your head?

-k

+Quote Post
Brazilian_Shinob...
post Nov 16 2011, 01:15 PM
Post #13

Shooting Target

Member No.: 17,437

To become wiser? I remeber Odin did something like that. "Hey, I took my, now I'm wiser, now I know I shouldn't have taken it in the first place."

+Quote Post
Daylen
post Nov 16 2011, 01:42 PM
Post #14

Running Target

Member No.: 17,952

QUOTE (KarmaInferno @ Nov 16 2011, 02:00 PM) *
Well, it's not entirely unreasonable.

If your eyes get gouged out you don't take essence loss. That loss doesn't happen until you actually have cybereyes implanted and hooked into your brain.

If you just stuck cybereyes into the empty sockets without any DNI connections there should be no essense loss, anymore than strapping a camera to your head would.

But why gouge your eyes out when you can, in fact, strap a camera to your head?

-k

It is unreasonable if the rule says it costs essence.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Nov 16 2011, 02:09 PM
Post #15

Advocatus Diaboli

AFAIK, there are no rules for 'non-installed' cybereyes, so they're not even an option. You can have cameras in your eye sockets (urgh). It's not that no-DNI cyber necessarily costs Essence, it's that Essence-costing cyber necessarily costs Essence to function (unless it says otherwise).

+Quote Post
Fortinbras
post Nov 16 2011, 02:13 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 14,589

And while we're at it, is it possible to Initiate without spending Karma?
And delta-ware doesn't have to cost more than regular cyberware.

+Quote Post
Minimax le Rouge
post Nov 16 2011, 03:25 PM
Post #17

Target

Member No.: 32,709

Use RFID sensors insteed of cybereyes. Cybereyes need to be linked to your body to have energy. RFID sensors don't.
So whit RFID sensors you don't have to pay essence. and you can have many of them on your body, clothes or else.

Also you can load your RoomSweeper with it, or mix them with glue in a slashing grenade, or wathever crazy thinks you can imagine.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Nov 16 2011, 03:59 PM
Post #18

Advocatus Diaboli

Um. In what sense do 'RFID sensors' (= sensor tags?) replace cybereyes? Assuming they can even have cameras (the example sensors for these are like thermometers), they're limited to *bad* cameras (micro, Rating 1, no mods). Just glue a real Camera (6) to your head; anyone can do it.

The game doesn't really handle the difference between senses/sensors (eyes and cybereyes, versus Cameras). Theoretically, you have to make Sensor tests for everything, but I've never heard of people doing that.

+Quote Post
last_of_the_grea...
post Nov 16 2011, 07:42 PM
Post #19

Running Target

QUOTE (Brazilian_Shinobi @ Nov 16 2011, 05:15 AM) *
To become wiser? I remeber Odin did something like that. "Hey, I took my, now I'm wiser, now I know I shouldn't have taken it in the first place."

The Evisceration task for submerging! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cyber.gif)

Hmmm. Let's say a technomancer creates the complex form of a program designed to run said cyberware. Is it truly unreasonable to say that smartlink and simrig are the only programs that can be made into complex forms for the purpose of running cyberware? I don't think so. I know things like muscle replacement and bone lacing are right out. But cybereyes I can see (pardon the pun) being made to work this way. If they were well made and worked with your eye's muscle groups for controlling where the pupil points I think it could make for an effectively fully functional item. I imagine spending the 2 karma for the complex form would do it.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Nov 16 2011, 07:56 PM
Post #20

Advocatus Diaboli

But how is that not just a Camera? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) A Smartlink CF is not really replacing cyberware; you basically can pipe a smartlink feed through any DNI.

+Quote Post
Fortinbras
post Nov 16 2011, 08:06 PM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 14,589

QUOTE (last_of_the_great_mikeys @ Nov 16 2011, 03:42 PM) *
The Evisceration task for submerging! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/cyber.gif)

Hmmm. Let's say a technomancer creates the complex form of a program designed to run said cyberware. Is it truly unreasonable to say that smartlink and simrig are the only programs that can be made into complex forms for the purpose of running cyberware? I don't think so. I know things like muscle replacement and bone lacing are right out. But cybereyes I can see (pardon the pun) being made to work this way. If they were well made and worked with your eye's muscle groups for controlling where the pupil points I think it could make for an effectively fully functional item. I imagine spending the 2 karma for the complex form would do it.

What's you're thinking of is not a complex form, but a Machine Sprite. Just as a Pilot program would run such a device.

+Quote Post
KarmaInferno
post Nov 16 2011, 09:58 PM
Post #22

Old Man Jones

Member No.: 1,699

QUOTE (Daylen @ Nov 16 2011, 08:42 AM) *
It is unreasonable if the rule says it costs essence.

It says it costs essence if they are installed.

If a pair of cybereyes are just stuck into empty eye sockets, without actually hooking any wires or nerves up, no essence loss. But it also means that they'd be useless lumps of plastic and metal. Unless you hack into them, much like a hacker could hack his way into a security camera.

It would be really no different than a blind technomancer hacking into a pair of cybereyes that are sitting on a shelf next to him, and wirelessly routing the visual data into his own brain.

-k

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Nov 16 2011, 10:05 PM
Post #23

Advocatus Diaboli

If you can do that at all, is the question. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) There's no indication that non-installed cybereyes do *anything* (and I still don't see why not just use Cameras), assuming they're even powered.

+Quote Post
BlackJaw
post Nov 16 2011, 10:11 PM
Post #24

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,213

So what's the advantage in removing your eyes here?

Why not keep your eyes and put a sensor package on your clothing or armor... or just use goggles/glasses/contacts? Now you can see through your eyes, and via your technomancer abilities get access to the enhanced inputs in your sensor packages?

Sensor packages like goggles, glasses, sensor RFID tags, sensor packs gecko-gripped to the side of your helm or weapon, etc.

My Hacker character has a full set of various stick-on sensor packages for up to 5 people so that he can ensure enough sensor channels to maintain his tacnet inputs when the group goes full bore black ops.

+Quote Post
Jhaiisiin
post Nov 16 2011, 10:30 PM
Post #25

Running Target

Member No.: 8,334

Still, using a stationary camera and a non-installed cybereye end up with the same drawback. You can't direct them. You can't look left, or right, or up, or down. They stare in whatever direction they are set for. To move them, they need to be connected to the muscles of the eyes, and thus the body, and thus essence.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th May 2024 - 02:15 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.