IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Wales in the Sixth World?, Got a virgin SR player who really wants to be a welsh elf
Tias
post Nov 20 2011, 05:24 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,824

What the topic description says - I started a new group with people who haven't played SR before, and this one guy really wants to be a welsh elf, and the thing is, I have no idea what Wales is like in the 6th world.

My own theory is that it is probably heavily influenced by druids (ley lines are powerful in Wales too, right?), and of course the shadow of Celedyr.. But then, I don't know how much direct interest he takes in the government there. The player suggested that Wales could be a contested theory between TNN and the UK, to lend credence to his background that his elf emigrated to New York because he was sick of the political tension in his birth country.

My questions are A) What is Wales like in the 6th world, and what sources touch on the area? and B) Does my players suggestion seem valid, is it a contested territory?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
MJBurrage
post Nov 20 2011, 05:57 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 11,507

The United Kingdom is covered in a few sourcebooks, each of those has brief details on Wales.
  • London Sourcebook (2052) 170 pages. Wales pp. 119, 124, 126–129
  • Shadows of Europe (2063) UK pp.191–207. Wales/druids pp.205–207
  • Sixth World Almanac (2072) UK pp.156–159. Wales p.157
There are also three novels that involve the United Kingdom:
  • Choose Your Enemies Carefully primarily London
  • Streets of Blood primarily London
  • Worlds Without End partially Scotland
And there is some detail in the Wiki:Unfortunately, I don't have time to go really look through the books for a day or two. As I recall (from some years ago) Wales is not contested territory with respect to Tir na nOg, but it it can be a dangerous place (wild lands, toxic zones, and a dragon in charge.

+Quote Post
Tias
post Nov 20 2011, 01:08 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Our next gaming session isn't till the 2nd of December, so I should have time to sort it out - thanks a lot, and I'd be stoked if you looked it up (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Tias
post Nov 30 2011, 02:13 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Nothing? :-/

+Quote Post
Paul
post Nov 30 2011, 02:38 PM
Post #5

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 1,514

The London Sourcebook covers some of this. Let me pull it off of the shelf and see what it has for you:

QUOTE ("London Sourcebook pg. 126")
elsh Wild Lands compromises two settled territories (and one other): Gwynedd in North Wales, Snowdonia in northwest Wales and the Dragon land. Although the two settled regions are very different, the effective powers-that-be are strongly sympathetic to one another and so there is no fixed border between Gwynedd and Snowdonia. While British rule technically operates here, a delicate balance exists between government law enforcement and the effective rulers of these lands. The rulers do not oppose the government in any dramatic or ostentatious manner, and the government takes a modestly relaxed attitude to law enforcement. Thus, the local police in Snowdonia are technically responsible to the Home Office, but the Chief of Constables is quite friendly with the Countess of Snowdon and sees her social secretary on a regular basis. There's no formal ratification of all this, merely an all-round understanding about the balance of law and rulership. The largely unsettled territory is known as the Dragon Land and is home to one of the three known and named Welsh great dragons.

It continues to further state 85% of the population speaks Welsh, and about 25% only speak Welsh and no English. It's about 22% Elven, with a lot of back to nature types. And there's apparently no love lost between the Welsh and the English. Orks, Trolls and Dwarves account for small percentages of the population.

There's a little more but I'm not hand typing out three pages. Sorry.

Shadows of Europe on page 205 has a small blurb that mostly repeats what can be found in the London Sourcebook-with a brief mention of naturally occurring Orichalcum deposits. And a mention that the local nobility might lend some support to the now resolved Pendragon story.

let me know if there's anything specific I can do to help.

+Quote Post
Jhaiisiin
post Nov 30 2011, 03:12 PM
Post #6

Running Target

Member No.: 8,334

Best thing to do would be to hit a used book store that carries gaming books and see if any of the above books happen to be there, and peruse the pages in question. If you want it for future reference, it'd not be a bad idea to just buy them.

+Quote Post
Paul
post Nov 30 2011, 09:59 PM
Post #7

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 1,514

Wales seems like a pretty poorly written piece, as is, in both the London Sourcebook and Shadows of Europe. To me it reeks of Mary Sue-but all I have to back that up is my personal instincts-and preferences. So don't let that damper your enthusiasm.

QUOTE (Tias @ Nov 20 2011, 12:24 AM) *
My own theory is that it is probably heavily influenced by druids (ley lines are powerful in Wales too, right?),

I'd say that they are Druids, however that their brand of Druidism differs from that explored in the various London pieces. A little wilder, and less "stuffy."

and of course the shadow of Celedyr.

Transys Neuronet is now merged with NeoNet right? So obviously some research and development stuff-usually presented as one of Celedyr's primary domains of interest. I'd say that beyond the traditional security concerns in this area, wild magic would be a serious concern.

But then, I don't know how much direct interest he takes in the government there.

Well whatever suits your campaign, and tells the best story for your group. The setting is a jumping off point. Use it like a cheap trick, discarding what you don't like and modifying what suits your interests.

The player suggested that Wales could be a contested theory between TNN and the UK, to lend credence to his background that his elf emigrated to New York because he was sick of the political tension in his birth country.

It's definitely with in the realm of the possible. And you can manipulate that in a variety of ways-making it a threesome. Tensions between Tír na nÓg and the United Kingdoms plus perhaps some Welsh independence movements, corporate players and maybe even a wild magic/naturalist movement.

Does my players suggestion seem valid, is it a contested territory?

If you're having fun with it, then run with it.

+Quote Post
Error
post Dec 1 2011, 03:47 AM
Post #8

Target

Member No.: 18,450

I don't have access to any of the books mentioned above save for the Sixth World Almanac so I won't try and repeat anything from above. I would highly suggest using various online resources to explore the history of Wales, especially with regards to its mythic history. Going with the standard vein of SR, some (if not all) myth has some basis in reality. There are a ton of interesting stories you could possibly work into a game using some of those old myths and legends as a basis or inspiration, IMO.

Then again, according to my wife I might be one of the rare ones who actually enjoys researching these sorts of things for games and enjoyment.

One thing I once researched and found very interesting was a historical treatise on old Welsh Law. Some of the old customs and laws surrounding inheritance and women are particularly interesting and quite different from what I'd previously viewed as a relatively standard "medieval culture". There is way too much information for me to even consider posting here, but if you find that interesting at all, do a net search for it.
I'd also highly recommend looking into the Welsh Triads as well. Tons of interesting stuff there. All the ties to Arthurian legend and the differences between the Welsh tradition and the English tradition is fascinating. Don't forget there is Pendragon as well. I have no idea if there is any intention to flesh out the entire politcal mess thats going on over there right now, but there is probably a lot that could be done with it. He "claims" his sword is Caledfwlch/Excalibur....but then again The Big D bequested that to Harlequin in his will....

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 04:11 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.