IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Resource Rush Starts In Canada..., Bye-Bye CWB...
CanRay
post Nov 30 2011, 08:20 PM
Post #1

Immortal Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 14,465

The Canadian Wheat Board (Which sets the buying price of wheat and barley in Canada, and does the actual purchasing in Canada for domestic use and export) is being phased out by the current government. What does this mean? Well, it means that AriCorps now control all of Canada's grain production costs from the seed to the harvest, as well as what it sells for. Which means they'll take a loss for a few years, which independent farmers can't afford, buy them out, and jack up the prices to whatever the market can bear. As well as sell only what makes the most profit, not what is the best for the land or population.

*Sighs* Sounds familiar, doesn't it?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ryu
post Nov 30 2011, 08:29 PM
Post #2

Awakened Asset

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,309

But they´ll stay on the good path. Their increased economies of scale will allow them to outbid inefficient suppliers, providing a benefit for customers by lowering prices... What? You say the result is the same?

+Quote Post
Dr.Rockso
post Nov 30 2011, 09:40 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,849

QUOTE (CanRay @ Nov 30 2011, 03:20 PM) *
The Canadian Wheat Board (Which sets the buying price of wheat and barley in Canada, and does the actual purchasing in Canada for domestic use and export) is being phased out by the current government. What does this mean? Well, it means that AriCorps now control all of Canada's grain production costs from the seed to the harvest, as well as what it sells for. Which means they'll take a loss for a few years, which independent farmers can't afford, buy them out, and jack up the prices to whatever the market can bear. As well as sell only what makes the most profit, not what is the best for the land or population.

*Sighs* Sounds familiar, doesn't it?

Friggin' Torries.

+Quote Post
Malbur
post Nov 30 2011, 11:44 PM
Post #4

Target

Member No.: 19,075

QUOTE (Ryu @ Nov 30 2011, 03:29 PM) *
But they´ll stay on the good path. Their increased economies of scale will allow them to outbid inefficient suppliers, providing a benefit for customers by lowering prices... What? You say the result is the same?

No he's predicting they'll outbid "inefficient" farms (families) in the short term, but in the long term gain a monopoly over the market and therefore have nobody to keep them in check when they decide to raise prices for no reason other than to increase the profit margin, and if they don't have to worry about having a high quality product to compete with other companies, they won't worry about whether the product they peddle is mediocre or not...

Then again, I'm not gonna get into a political discussion here (especially as I know nothing of Canadian politics), just providing translation if its needed. It may not be, I'm not sure (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif) .

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Nov 30 2011, 11:59 PM
Post #5

Immortal Elf

Discussion on Canadian Politics: Tory Majority = WE'RE SCREWED!

+Quote Post
Malbur
post Dec 1 2011, 12:28 AM
Post #6

Target

QUOTE (CanRay @ Nov 30 2011, 06:59 PM) *
Discussion on Canadian Politics: Tory Majority = WE'RE SCREWED!

Isn't the benefit of a parliamentary system the idea that a single party does not gain sole power as is the case now? I always thought that was what the point was... coalitions to ensure more people than just 50% of the population were served. In fact, that's why I always preferred it over what we have down here in the States.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Dec 1 2011, 12:31 AM
Post #7

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Malbur @ Nov 30 2011, 08:28 PM) *
Isn't the benefit of a parliamentary system the idea that a single party does not gain sole power as is the case now? I always thought that was what the point was... coalitions to ensure more people than just 50% of the population were served. In fact, that's why I always preferred it over what we have down here in the States.
Only in a Minority Government. If the majority of the seats are filled by one party, they pretty much have full reign. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/frown.gif)

But this is getting away from what I was aiming at and heading into Politics.

+Quote Post
Faraday
post Dec 1 2011, 12:36 AM
Post #8

Running Target

Member No.: 18,155

Well, when life gives you lemons...

If you can, make some investments in the agricorps that will be snapping up the farms in a few years. Put in shortly after they went through the growing pains of getting a monopoly.

It might be evil, self-serving, and against decent principle, but you'll turn a tidy profit.

+Quote Post
Tanegar
post Dec 1 2011, 09:07 AM
Post #9

Runner

Member No.: 9,731

QUOTE (Faraday @ Nov 30 2011, 07:36 PM) *
Well, when life gives you lemons...

You invent combustible lemons and burn somebody's house down? I'm not seeing the applicability.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Dec 1 2011, 01:12 PM
Post #10

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Tanegar @ Dec 1 2011, 05:07 AM) *
You invent combustible lemons and burn somebody's house down? I'm not seeing the applicability.
When someone takes away your special blends of barley that makes certain types of beer that is popular in Canada...

You have Canadians who start wars.

+Quote Post
Warlordtheft
post Dec 1 2011, 01:55 PM
Post #11

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 11,360

QUOTE (Malbur @ Nov 30 2011, 07:28 PM) *

Hey in the states it takes 60%, passing a lawsuit or two or three or more, and the appeals that follow leading to a supreme court challenge to get anything done in the U.S. About the only thing we can do quickly is nuke the world 3 times over.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/spin.gif)

Of course doesn't Canada have anti-trust laws for this or they toothless/non-existant?

Now put this in an SR perspective, who would be the Johnson's. What would be the runs, and what would be the fallout?

+Quote Post
Malbur
post Dec 1 2011, 02:11 PM
Post #12

Target

QUOTE (Warlordtheft @ Dec 1 2011, 08:55 AM) *
Hey in the states it takes 60%, passing a lawsuit or two or three or more, and the appeals that follow leading to a supreme court challenge to get anything done in the U.S.

Unfortunately, that's not true. It takes 60% of the Senate to pass anything, and any particular Senator only needs 51% of the vote to get elected. If voter turn out is low (as it usually is when compared to the rest of the developed world [read: Europe]), they can get away with having support from as little 20% of the population (hypothetical figure, I have to go to work in a few minutes and can't check the most recent statistics at the moment).

That's not to say that they don't have support of 50-60% of the population, just that that many people did not vote in the election. Also, recall that the current congress has something like an 6% "excellent" approval rating while having a 68% disapproval rating... (from http://www.rasmussenreports.com/public_con...al_performance)

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Dec 1 2011, 02:31 PM
Post #13

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Warlordtheft @ Dec 1 2011, 09:55 AM) *
Hey in the states it takes 60%, passing a lawsuit or two or three or more, and the appeals that follow leading to a supreme court challenge to get anything done in the U.S. About the only thing we can do quickly is nuke the world 3 times over.
Not entirely sure, but I think the Tories do have over 60% of the seats anyhow. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/frown.gif) Have to check that.
Of course doesn't Canada have anti-trust laws for this or they toothless/non-existant?
Not too sure about Anti-Trust, but the Canadian Senate is supposed to sort out things like this. But they've been just a rubber stamp since... Um... Forever, I think.
Now put this in an SR perspective, who would be the Johnson's. What would be the runs, and what would be the fallout?
The Johnsons would be hired by the ArigCorps to speed up the failures of the independent farmers, so they lose as little market share as possible and speed up the take-over of valuable farm land as quickly as possible to start the profit building. Alternatively, the Opposition Parties (NDP, Liberal, Green) would hire Johnsons to set up demonstrations and media hacks to demonstrate how the destruction of the CWB has destroyed jobs, decimated the environment, and thrown families out on the street in the middle of a Prairie Winter.

The Liberals (And some of the less moralistic NDP and Greens) might also set up 'Runs designed to fail showing how the AgriCorps are lining up and encouraging independent farmers to fold faster and show them for the greedy corporations they are, and the illegal and immoral lengths they're willing to go to, in order to prove the need for a new CWB, and possibly tie the Tories to the deal as well and force a vote from the Governor-General (Who is the representative of the Queen when she isn't in the country.). If that works, the fallout would be the Tories not having enough seats to be an official party (again in my lifetime) and possibly a NDP Minority Government (Possibly a Liberal Minority Government, but that's not being seen as a good thing right now.).

+Quote Post
Tanegar
post Dec 1 2011, 03:47 PM
Post #14

Runner

QUOTE (Malbur @ Dec 1 2011, 09:11 AM) *
Unfortunately, that's not true. It takes 60% of the Senate to pass anything

Not quite. Passing a bill requires a simple majority (51% or better). Overcoming a filibuster takes a 60% majority. And since both parties invariably filibuster anything of substance, and neither can normally muster the 60%, we have gridlock. Isn't politics fun?

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Dec 1 2011, 06:14 PM
Post #15

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Tanegar @ Dec 1 2011, 11:47 AM) *
Not quite. Passing a bill requires a simple majority (51% or better). Overcoming a filibuster takes a 60% majority. And since both parties invariably filibuster anything of substance, and neither can normally muster the 60%, we have gridlock. Isn't politics fun?
No.

+Quote Post
Mantis
post Dec 1 2011, 08:43 PM
Post #16

Running Target

Member No.: 17,538

What's wrong Canray? Don't you want a lovely, responsible and ethical corporation like Monsanto to move into Canada and take over our food supply? What could go wrong? :cough India cough:
I agree with you. I liked it when the Tories had a minority government. The majority they now have is not good for Canadians in general. They are trying to shift things to be more like our neighbours to the south. Nothing against the US citizens but your government is crazy and to outside appearances anyway, bought and paid for by large corporate interests.
As a shadowrun, this sounds interesting. Too bad things like the CWB would have been one of the first things to go when the corps gained extraterritoriality. I wonder if the new countries like Algonquin-Manitou maintained the idea of wheat boards when they took over or instead succumbed to corporate bribery and just let the agri-corps of the time manage it all. I'm guess the latter since soy based foods are the norm rather than cereal based foods. Unless of course, they instead just decided not to export to the new UCAS and kept the cereal crops to themselves and other NAN nations. Maybe the NAN countries enjoy real bread and beer rather than a soy or algae based food substitute. Or maybe they just let the prairie farms return to their natural state.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Dec 1 2011, 09:48 PM
Post #17

Immortal Elf

IIRC, The Algonquin-Manitou Council signed a deal with the Devil, er, Aztechnology... No, I had it right the first time. They had a hard time with their own agricultural business for a few years and needed gengineered grains... From my understanding, that's about all AZT is doing there. You don't exactly want to be practicing Blood Magic in the NAN.

Due to depopulation of the NAN Territories (Both due to VITAS and kicking "Anglos" out, which is everyone save First Nations and Hispanics as Aztlan was part of the NAN at the time), I'd say most of the Prairies are back to grasslands and roaming herds again. But I'd bet they do have a big discount on "real" food, while exporting it at an exceptionally high tariff because, well, who else is exporting? (And because "Frag Anglos! That's why.").

As for the Tories, the only thing I'm happy about is the registry is dying at long last, even if I would have liked to have seen the Assault Rifle listing kept on (If you need full-auto to hit something while hunting, you need to learn to aim!). The "Sniper Rifle Registry" that the NDP was also suggesting, however, I looked at and, um, most are civilian designed hunting rifles that are less accurate than the ol' SMLE/Kar98K.

+Quote Post
Tanegar
post Dec 1 2011, 11:25 PM
Post #18

Runner

QUOTE (Mantis @ Dec 1 2011, 03:43 PM) *
Nothing against the US citizens but your government is crazy and to outside appearances anyway, bought and paid for by large corporate interests.

Oh, it's not just an appearance, believe me. Our government is, in fact, bought and paid for by large corporate interests. Campaign contributions have been ruled a legally protected form of speech under the First Amendment, after all. And don't even get me started on the idea of Mitt "Corporations are people, too" Romney getting elected President...

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Dec 1 2011, 11:59 PM
Post #19

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Tanegar @ Dec 1 2011, 07:25 PM) *
Oh, it's not just an appearance, believe me. Our government is, in fact, bought and paid for by large corporate interests. Campaign contributions have been ruled a legally protected form of speech under the First Amendment, after all. And don't even get me started on the idea of Mitt "Corporations are people, too" Romney getting elected President...
"Money is Speech"... *Headdesk*

Of course, I probably only react that way because I can't afford a Congressman.

+Quote Post
CanadianWolverin...
post Dec 2 2011, 02:27 AM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,309

QUOTE (CanRay @ Dec 1 2011, 03:48 PM) *
IIRC, The Algonquin-Manitou Council signed a deal with the Devil, er, Aztechnology... No, I had it right the first time. They had a hard time with their own agricultural business for a few years and needed gengineered grains... From my understanding, that's about all AZT is doing there. You don't exactly want to be practicing Blood Magic in the NAN.

Due to depopulation of the NAN Territories (Both due to VITAS and kicking "Anglos" out, which is everyone save First Nations and Hispanics as Aztlan was part of the NAN at the time), I'd say most of the Prairies are back to grasslands and roaming herds again. But I'd bet they do have a big discount on "real" food, while exporting it at an exceptionally high tariff because, well, who else is exporting? (And because "Frag Anglos! That's why.").

I could have sworn that the kicking "Anglos" out thing was mostly UCAS typical propagandist bullshit in all but one of the NAN members ... and that NAN member later became a failed state that got annexed by a neighbouring NAN member who was far more affluent.

+Quote Post
hobgoblin
post Dec 2 2011, 03:14 AM
Post #21

panda!

Member No.: 2,242

Find myself thinking about a story about Wal-mart, supposedly their standard MO for a new area is to basically price stuff below cost to drive out the local stores. Then once that is done they have a effective monopoly for anywhere within a reasonable travel distance of the store.

+Quote Post
Daylen
post Dec 2 2011, 03:50 AM
Post #22

Running Target

Member No.: 17,952

QUOTE (Tanegar @ Dec 1 2011, 04:47 PM) *

Fun and protective. If only 51% agree to something then its not good enough to be law for any large group. This helps protect the minority from the tyranny of the majority.

+Quote Post
Faraday
post Dec 2 2011, 03:52 AM
Post #23

Running Target

Member No.: 18,155

QUOTE (Daylen @ Dec 1 2011, 07:50 PM) *
Fun and protective. If only 51% agree to something then its not good enough to be law for any large group. This helps protect the minority from the tyranny of the majority.

Yeah, but sometimes the minority is a bunch of assholes. You know, I wouldn't mind if congress went to blows like it sometimes used to.

+Quote Post
Daylen
post Dec 2 2011, 03:54 AM
Post #24

Running Target

Member No.: 17,952

QUOTE (hobgoblin @ Dec 2 2011, 04:14 AM) *
Find myself thinking about a story about Wal-mart, supposedly their standard MO for a new area is to basically price stuff below cost to drive out the local stores. Then once that is done they have a effective monopoly for anywhere within a reasonable travel distance of the store.

Most businesses sell at or below price to enter into competitive markets; its a good strategy to entice new customers to try doing business with them. If an established business can't survive a temporary price drop then it is REALLY weak. It is more expensive for the new entity to keep its prices low than for the old business because of startup costs.

+Quote Post
Tanegar
post Dec 2 2011, 03:56 AM
Post #25

Runner

QUOTE (Daylen @ Dec 1 2011, 10:50 PM) *

In theory. In practice, it prevents anyone from doing anything.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 11:32 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.