Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Street Names, What's in a name?
Paul
post Dec 30 2011, 09:16 PM
Post #1

Neophyte Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 1,514

Do you use Street names? Most of my group avoids this-we have them for simplicity of record keeping, but when it comes to actual play they just make up names (Simple stuff Bob, Fred, Simon, etc....regardless of their gender or actual backgrounds.) Since most Law Enforcement Information Network's include monikers and Aliases we decided a long time ago the simple solution is to have none, or far too many common names to bother keeping track of. ("Tom? Tom who? Know how many Tom's, Thomas's, and Tommie's are out there pal?")
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Dec 30 2011, 09:22 PM
Post #2

Immortal Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 14,465

Yeah, but there's also too many "Spyder"s, "Blade"s, "Spike"s, "WizWyrm"s, "Ronin"s, and "Little Sally Schoolgirl"s out there as well that it doesn't matter.

+Quote Post
Critias
post Dec 30 2011, 09:22 PM
Post #3

Freelance Elf

Member No.: 6,714

I tend to use them, but mostly because it's just part of the genre goofiness that is Shadowrun.

+Quote Post
Mercer
post Dec 30 2011, 09:36 PM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 2,600

For me it depends on whether or not I think of the name first.

From the other side of it, it goes back to the old saying that every job is a sales job. As a shadowrunner, Johnsons will hire you because they think you're a competent professional who can get the job done. (Or because they need three warm bodies to take the fall. Work is work.) To do that, there has to be some way for them to tell you apart from every other shadowunner out there. Then again, if everyone has a street name, not having a street name may be what makes you distinctive.

Street names are really just nicknames. So I'm thinking of names that aren't necessarily what the character would call himself, but what people on the street might call him. My arguably most successful samurai was named "Slagiron" because his background was he put together his cyber while working as a bounty hunter, and he'd take whatever piece of 'ware he could get out of the criminals he was tracking down.

Still, the best line about street names comes from "True Lies":

"They call him 'The Sand Spider'."

"Why?"

"Probably because it sounds scary."

+Quote Post
Xahn Borealis
post Dec 30 2011, 09:39 PM
Post #5

Shooting Target

Member No.: 17,007

QUOTE (Mercer @ Dec 30 2011, 09:36 PM) *
(Or because they need three warm bodies to take the fall. Work is work.)

The funny thing is, I have a team who call themselves The Warm Bodies. They are very good at not dying.

+Quote Post
bibliophile20
post Dec 30 2011, 09:41 PM
Post #6

Running Target

Member No.: 10,737

QUOTE (Xahn Borealis @ Dec 30 2011, 04:39 PM) *
The funny thing is, I have a team who call themselves The Warm Bodies. They are very good at not dying.

*yoink!*

+Quote Post
Xahn Borealis
post Dec 30 2011, 09:42 PM
Post #7

Shooting Target

QUOTE (bibliophile20 @ Dec 30 2011, 09:41 PM) *
*yoink!*

You want their write up? They're the stars of my fanfic in my sig, and I have a sequel on the back burner.

+Quote Post
bibliophile20
post Dec 30 2011, 10:07 PM
Post #8

Running Target

Member No.: 10,737

QUOTE (Xahn Borealis @ Dec 30 2011, 04:42 PM) *
You want their write up? They're the stars of my fanfic in my sig, and I have a sequel on the back burner.

Sure, why not. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) But I like the idea by its lonesome.

+Quote Post
Xahn Borealis
post Dec 30 2011, 10:12 PM
Post #9

Shooting Target

QUOTE (bibliophile20 @ Dec 30 2011, 10:07 PM) *
Sure, why not. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) But I like the idea by its lonesome.

Here we are. The fanfic is at the start of the thread.

+Quote Post
Pendaric
post Dec 30 2011, 10:37 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

Member No.: 8,047

Yes, No and kinda of.

Some use their street names because that is their names as they are street characters. Some use their real names because their to stupid/sociopathic/clueless/brillant not to and some want all the more animiety of a handle they can without the loss of rep which gets the work.

Lastly, you can always change a handle and give yourself some extra time before you leave the shadows.

Whether your handle is Mr John Johnson of smithville or left handed Paulle with the eye patch and pink mowhawk, its another layer to the character persona at our table.

+Quote Post
Hamsnibit
post Dec 30 2011, 10:42 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,723

We use Street Names alot, some characters are called differently by every contact they have.
Telling your real name to a shadowrunner is a gesture of real trust and a sign that you want to accept him as a real friend imho.
Also its easier to dump your nick when you messed something up, if you sign in on a run with your (fake) SIN its an invitation to the opposition to visit you at home while you sleep nice and soundly.

+Quote Post
Wakshaani
post Dec 30 2011, 10:49 PM
Post #12

Shooting Target

Member No.: 4,629

<-- Using one right now. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I can't imagine not using street names in Shadowrun, if only because it's so ingrained in online culture, sports, military, and so on. Nicknames take a life of their own, and a runner probably has a few once he's a few years into his career. Heck, in a game I played in, set in New Orleans, my Ork was using 'Gator' as a handle. There are ... well ... there are a LOT of 'gators' in NO, and there were a few mix-ups when someone would go looking for the wrong one. We even had a nice scuffle planned out where I'd be fighting for the name against another Gator (But, sadly, the game fell apart befor ethat trigger could be pulled.)

Besides, nobody wants to hire Herbert Finklestein when they can hire El Inferno.

+Quote Post
Xahn Borealis
post Dec 30 2011, 10:58 PM
Post #13

Shooting Target

Smack to his employer. Harry to his friends.

+Quote Post
Socinus
post Dec 30 2011, 11:02 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,881

QUOTE (Hamsnibit @ Dec 30 2011, 11:42 PM) *
We use Street Names alot, some characters are called differently by every contact they have.
Telling your real name to a shadowrunner is a gesture of real trust and a sign that you want to accept him as a real friend imho.
Also its easier to dump your nick when you messed something up, if you sign in on a run with your (fake) SIN its an invitation to the opposition to visit you at home while you sleep nice and soundly.

Mr. Pink: Hey, why am I Mr. Pink? Why can't we pick our own colors?
Joe: No way, no way. Tried it once, doesn't work. You got four guys all fighting over who's gonna be Mr. Black, but they don't know each other, so nobody wants to back down. No way. I pick. You're Mr. Pink. Be thankful you're not Mr. Yellow.
Mr. Brown: Yeah, but Mr. Brown is a little too close to Mr. Shit.
Mr. Pink: Mr. Pink sounds like Mr. Pussy. How 'bout if I'm Mr. Purple? That sounds good to me. I'll be Mr. Purple.
Joe: You're not Mr. Purple. Some guy on some other job is Mr. Purple. Your Mr. PINK.
Mr. White: Who cares what your name is?
Mr. Pink: Yeah, that's easy for your to say, you're Mr. White. You have a cool-sounding name. Alright look, if it's no big deal to be Mr. Pink, you wanna trade?
Joe: Hey! NOBODY'S trading with ANYBODY. This ain't a goddamn, fucking city council meeting, you know. Now listen up, Mr. Pink. There's two ways you can go on this job: my way or the highway. Now what's it gonna be, Mr. Pink?
Mr. Pink: Jesus Christ, Joe, fucking forget about it. It's beneath me. I'm Mr. Pink. Let's move on.
Joe: I'll move on when I feel like it... All you guys got the goddamn message?... I'm so goddamn mad, hollering at you guys I can hardly talk. Pssh. Let's go to work.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Dec 31 2011, 01:13 AM
Post #15

Immortal Elf

And that movie teaches you that tipping the waitress is bad. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

+Quote Post
Pepsi Jedi
post Dec 31 2011, 01:46 AM
Post #16

Running Target

Member No.: 18,391

Our groups use them, you don't give out your real name. That's intimate knowledge of you that can make you more easily traced and things used against you.

Knowledge is power. you don't willingly give it out for free.

+Quote Post
Paul
post Dec 31 2011, 01:57 AM
Post #17

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 1,514

Just so people know, because it appears there is some confusion I'm not suggesting you use a characters real name. When someone says their name is "Tom" it's no different in some ways than saying "Sand Spider." It's no more real either.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Dec 31 2011, 02:01 AM
Post #18

Immortal Elf

"'Robert? You said your name was James!', and that, gentlemen, is why I no longer have more than one woman in each port."

+Quote Post
ShadowJackal
post Dec 31 2011, 02:15 AM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 40,831

The thought of not using a street name never occurred to me.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Dec 31 2011, 02:17 AM
Post #20

The ShadowComedian

Member No.: 13,525

My characters usually get something descriptive as their street name, so i can remember who they are, what they do and how they are supposed to act . .
Me? I use one because my buddies, whom i play with, actually got to know me under the short hand form of one of my oldest internet handles, because that's how i was introduced to them . . Or, more correctly, they had heard stories about me . .
Basically, it went like this: me and my oldest buddy show up with me in tow for the first time for a gaming session. He goes:"Guys, that's "insert short hand form of oldest internet handle here" the guy i told you about" Other guys:"Him? THE "insert short hand form of oldest internet handle here"?!?!?"
Me with a wry look at oldest buddy:"what did you tell them about me you old ass?" <.<
And some months of playing together (both shadowrun, battletech and computer games) i got asked what kind of name it was and how my parents decided on that.
I cracked up and could not stop laughing for several minutes. I told them my RL name. They forget. They remember "insert short hand form of oldest internet handle here".
So i stay with "insert short hand form of oldest internet handle here".
And it's gotten to the point where, at conventions if they are around too and introduce me to other people they go:"People, this is "insert short hand form of oldest internet handle here" whom i have told you so much about!"
People usually go:"What? THE "insert short hand form of oldest internet handle here"? Really?"
Me in deadpan voice:"What did you tell them now again?"
Them usually:"Ah, nothing too bad . . just how you managed to build a character that just would not die, even when you wanted him to . . Oh, i still have his character sheet here, with me, coincidentally, he is doing fine, recovering great and having fun in the black forrest"
Me:"You. Ass."
So yeah, even people i don't know have heard of "insert short hand form of oldest internet handle here".
And i don't bother to correct people anymore.
Hell, even one of my colleagues at work calls me by "insert short hand form of oldest internet handle here", because he, over two corners, is friends with my gamign group and, of course, has heard of me under "insert short hand form of oldest internet handle here" . .
*le sigh* ._.
People, THIS is what's fame and/or good/bad reputation in real life.
It could, theoretically, only be worse if people knew what i looked like and came to me without me being introduced to them . .
Just good there are no pictures of me anywhere that i am aware of . .

+Quote Post
Snow_Fox
post Dec 31 2011, 04:08 AM
Post #21

Prime Runner

Member No.: 1,221

Yeah police record contain alias but the trick then is to have the ifle have your alias and not your legal name. so while they may know "Hawk" to borrow from Robert Parker, is a well known area assassin, no one knows Hawk is dudley simpson who graduated from James Earl Jones HS and lives at....

Like the 'witches' of the 17th century people using alias within the group are harder to betray is something goes wrong:
"Who are your comrades?"
"there's mr pink, mr brown and mr black."
"No their real names"
"Got me sparky those are the only names I ever had."

One of the short stories that came out in the 90's had a character learning the real name of a comrade only after she was dead.

Also remember that corp extraterritoriality limits poolice files a great deal. Odds are MCT is not going to share it's evidence with nayone else-amoung other things that means admitting you were raided and another is giving your sec levels and proceedures to someone else who might use it against you later.

In our world the police, the good ones, actually have a pretty poor opinion of the corp cops, not because of their ability but because of their snobbish attitude. "You don't want us on your soil, that's fine, have fun solving this on your own." we once got our buts saved by a cop pulling over a Yamatestsu van in pursuit of us, we later learned he cited them for speeding.

+Quote Post
Xahn Borealis
post Dec 31 2011, 05:19 AM
Post #22

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Dec 31 2011, 02:17 AM) *
"insert short hand form of oldest internet handle here"

I'm going to ask the question.

+Quote Post
Christian Lafay
post Dec 31 2011, 06:44 AM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 15,965

I always liked the ideas of handles. If only because of Shadowrun's number one decker who is numbers one through five on Renraku's BRING THEM IN list.

+Quote Post
Pepsi Jedi
post Dec 31 2011, 07:39 AM
Post #24

Running Target

Member No.: 18,391

QUOTE (Stahlseele @ Dec 30 2011, 09:17 PM) *
My characters usually get something descriptive as their street name, so i can remember who they are, what they do and how they are supposed to act . .
Me? I use one because my buddies, whom i play with, actually got to know me under the short hand form of one of my oldest internet handles, because that's how i was introduced to them . . Or, more correctly, they had heard stories about me . .
Basically, it went like this: me and my oldest buddy show up with me in tow for the first time for a gaming session. He goes:"Guys, that's "insert short hand form of oldest internet handle here" the guy i told you about" Other guys:"Him? THE "insert short hand form of oldest internet handle here"?!?!?"
Me with a wry look at oldest buddy:"what did you tell them about me you old ass?" <.<
And some months of playing together (both shadowrun, battletech and computer games) i got asked what kind of name it was and how my parents decided on that.
I cracked up and could not stop laughing for several minutes. I told them my RL name. They forget. They remember "insert short hand form of oldest internet handle here".
So i stay with "insert short hand form of oldest internet handle here".
And it's gotten to the point where, at conventions if they are around too and introduce me to other people they go:"People, this is "insert short hand form of oldest internet handle here" whom i have told you so much about!"
People usually go:"What? THE "insert short hand form of oldest internet handle here"? Really?"
Me in deadpan voice:"What did you tell them now again?"
Them usually:"Ah, nothing too bad . . just how you managed to build a character that just would not die, even when you wanted him to . . Oh, i still have his character sheet here, with me, coincidentally, he is doing fine, recovering great and having fun in the black forrest"
Me:"You. Ass."
So yeah, even people i don't know have heard of "insert short hand form of oldest internet handle here".
And i don't bother to correct people anymore.
Hell, even one of my colleagues at work calls me by "insert short hand form of oldest internet handle here", because he, over two corners, is friends with my gamign group and, of course, has heard of me under "insert short hand form of oldest internet handle here" . .
*le sigh* ._.
People, THIS is what's fame and/or good/bad reputation in real life.
It could, theoretically, only be worse if people knew what i looked like and came to me without me being introduced to them . .
Just good there are no pictures of me anywhere that i am aware of . .

More than one person I've met on line under an internet handle knows me by that name and uses it IRL when I meet them or get together.

It gets interesting when trying to order Pepsi at a restaurant and people are callin' you either "Pepsi" or "Jedi"

+Quote Post
Eimi
post Dec 31 2011, 07:44 AM
Post #25

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,073

QUOTE (Pepsi Jedi @ Dec 31 2011, 12:39 AM) *
More than one person I've met on line under an internet handle knows me by that name and uses it IRL when I meet them or get together.

It gets interesting when trying to order Pepsi at a restaurant and people are callin' you either "Pepsi" or "Jedi"

Likewise.

(Except the pepsi and/or jedi part)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:54 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.