Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Fallout: New Vegas, Revisited.
Tanegar
post Jan 4 2012, 05:58 AM
Post #1

Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,731

I started a new game for the purpose of playing through all the DLC I bought during Steam's holiday sale. I just got to level 15 and started Old World Blues. Is Big MT supposed to be a lot harder than the Mojave Wasteland? Even with Energy Weapons at 65, the sonic doohicky is damn near useless. I think I'm going to switch to a plasma rifle and see how that works.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Jan 4 2012, 06:03 AM
Post #2

Immortal Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 14,465

Yes, it's supposed to be harder. The Sonic Doohicky (Actually a good name considering it's inventors!) is more of a door-opener and robot/cyborg killer, and it gets better when you find the different audio tracks. The LAER will serve you much better, when you find one.

Just two things to be careful about: Cazadores and Nightstalkers galore! F*** but I hate Cazadores! Have a shotgun for those, with Magnum Shells. I like to load my own, which is why I usually tag Repair.

+Quote Post
Tanegar
post Jan 4 2012, 07:59 AM
Post #3

Runner

What should I be using to kill roboscorpions? I gained another level and bumped my Energy Weapons skill up to 80, but those things are ridiculously resilient to my plasma rifle.

+Quote Post
Rastus
post Jan 4 2012, 01:18 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,131

Robo-scorpions? Pretty much any gun that does 80+ per shot. You know, missile launchers, plasma grenades, the Tesla cannons. I'd suggest the upgraded Holorifle -OR- the YCS/186 with Max Charge cells, but I have a feeling you rushed straight to OWB before getting either of those, so... Robotics Expert perk, sneak up to deactivate, then empty your biggest gun into them before they demonstrate their unique ability to wake up. Maybe that'll make it easier?

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Jan 4 2012, 04:25 PM
Post #5

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Tanegar @ Jan 4 2012, 03:59 AM) *
What should I be using to kill roboscorpions? I gained another level and bumped my Energy Weapons skill up to 80, but those things are ridiculously resilient to my plasma rifle.
Now you pull out the Sonic Thingamajig, especially if you got a sound that knocks them back.

+Quote Post
Tanegar
post Jan 4 2012, 07:26 PM
Post #6

Runner

QUOTE (Rastus @ Jan 4 2012, 08:18 AM) *
Robo-scorpions? Pretty much any gun that does 80+ per shot. You know, missile launchers, plasma grenades, the Tesla cannons. I'd suggest the upgraded Holorifle -OR- the YCS/186 with Max Charge cells, but I have a feeling you rushed straight to OWB before getting either of those, so... Robotics Expert perk, sneak up to deactivate, then empty your biggest gun into them before they demonstrate their unique ability to wake up. Maybe that'll make it easier?

Your feeling is correct, sir. The warning at the drive-in said Old World Blues is for characters level 15 and up. I think it should have said 20 and up. Fortunately, I have a save from shortly before starting OWB, and I'm leaning toward reverting to it.

+Quote Post
Doc Chase
post Jan 4 2012, 08:43 PM
Post #7

Runner

Member No.: 18,688

OWB = Delicious. Easily the best of all the DLC.

I ended up modding in CaliberX and Ahztek's Upgraded Weapons so I could bring a Barrett .50 along for the ride. Makes the roboscorpions fall down good. The Sonic Doohickey, on the other hand, does not.

I also worked on a ninja build after grabbing the Inverse Proton Axe. That worked pretty well on all the robots, too!

+Quote Post
Rastus
post Jan 4 2012, 08:52 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

QUOTE (Tanegar @ Jan 4 2012, 02:26 PM) *
Your feeling is correct, sir. The warning at the drive-in said Old World Blues is for characters level 15 and up. I think it should have said 20 and up. Fortunately, I have a save from shortly before starting OWB, and I'm leaning toward reverting to it.

Well, I won't say you should revert back. Those weapons will help a bunch, but even if you go into OWB at level 30 as I have, all the DLC enemies scale pretty evenly, so the robo-scorpions will still be damage sponges at a later level. Still though, the Holorifle is a helluva gun. At 100 EW skill and with the damage upgrade, that thing does a base damage of about 105 and only uses one cell per shot.

Besides, bad as the robo-scorps tend to be, I'm told they don't hold a candlestick to what awaits in Lonesome Road.

QUOTE (Doc Chase @ Jan 4 2012, 03:43 PM) *
OWB = Delicious. Easily the best of all the DLC.

I ended up modding in CaliberX and Ahztek's Upgraded Weapons so I could bring a Barrett .50 along for the ride. Makes the roboscorpions fall down good. The Sonic Doohickey, on the other hand, does not.

I also worked on a ninja build after grabbing the Inverse Proton Axe. That worked pretty well on all the robots, too!

You should use the Underground Hideout mod. Come on Doc, be a slave to The Wall as I have become.

+Quote Post
Doc Chase
post Jan 4 2012, 09:01 PM
Post #9

Runner

QUOTE (Rastus @ Jan 4 2012, 09:52 PM) *
Well, I won't say you should revert back. Those weapons will help a bunch, but even if you go into OWB at level 30 as I have, all the DLC enemies scale pretty evenly, so the robo-scorpions will still be damage sponges at a later level. Still though, the Holorifle is a helluva gun. At 100 EW skill and with the damage upgrade, that thing does a base damage of about 105 and only uses one cell per shot.

Besides, bad as the robo-scorps tend to be, I'm told they don't hold a candlestick to what awaits in Lonesome Road.

You should use the Underground Hideout mod. Come on Doc, be a slave to The Wall as I have become.

I'll look for it.

I have a cheese save that boosts laser damage by about 400%, so adding that + Overload makes for a nuclear laser pistol when I snag a sneak attack crit on it.

Why? Because I wanted to see what it would do.

+Quote Post
Rastus
post Jan 5 2012, 02:35 AM
Post #10

Moving Target

Been making progress in OWB(it's my first time too). I forgot to mention this, but for the love of god don't stay outdoors for long, people! I remember there being some sort of hardcoded script that constantly spawns enemies nearby if you do stay out. It's not an endless stream, but you'll be worn down by robo-scorps and Lobotomites pretty bad.

Other advice is not to come in wearing armor you can't repair easily and cheaply, because it'll get shredded in no time. Came in with fully repaired Joshua Graham outfit, and it got reduced to 20% before I made my way to the damn Sneaking Suit. Somebody is going to pay for ruining my classiest outfit.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Jan 5 2012, 02:53 AM
Post #11

Immortal Elf

Yeah, the amount I had to pay to keep repairing things... Ugh.

+Quote Post
Rastus
post Jan 6 2012, 03:54 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Well, I don't know how Tanegar's doing but I've finished OWB with flying colors, mostly thanks to the quite broken Holorifle. I somehow bugged out the condition and now the thing never degrades.

I can definately see why so many people love this DLC so much. It's completely chockful of crazy in the writing and the characters. That, and it brings even more nods to the spiritual predecessor of the entire Fallout series, Wasteland. Pretty impressive feat, considering that vanilla New Vegas was loaded with them as it was. I will admit it was pretty damn tough though. I shudder at what awaits me in Lonesome road.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Jan 6 2012, 04:10 PM
Post #13

Immortal Elf

I love the most unexpected conversation ever!

+Quote Post
Doc Chase
post Jan 9 2012, 06:20 PM
Post #14

Runner

QUOTE (Rastus @ Jan 6 2012, 03:54 PM) *
Well, I don't know how Tanegar's doing but I've finished OWB with flying colors, mostly thanks to the quite broken Holorifle. I somehow bugged out the condition and now the thing never degrades.

I can definately see why so many people love this DLC so much. It's completely chockful of crazy in the writing and the characters. That, and it brings even more nods to the spiritual predecessor of the entire Fallout series, Wasteland. Pretty impressive feat, considering that vanilla New Vegas was loaded with them as it was. I will admit it was pretty damn tough though. I shudder at what awaits me in Lonesome road.

An automatic rocket launcher.

That's what.

Honestly, with exception of the lizards, Lonesome Road wasn't that bad.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Jan 9 2012, 07:03 PM
Post #15

Immortal Elf

"Flare Launcher! Flare Launcher! FLARE LAUNCHER!!! WHY DID I KEEP SELLING FLAMER FUEL??? FLARE!!!"

EDIT: I still have to walk the Courier's Mile...

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Jan 9 2012, 07:23 PM
Post #16

The ShadowComedian

Member No.: 13,525

Wat.
Old World Blues?
A NEW DLC?
I did not know about this ._.
Wonder if that will be in ze GOTY Version . .
If so, i may just end up buying FNV a THIRD time . .

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Jan 9 2012, 07:42 PM
Post #17

Immortal Elf

Old World Blues is a Sci-Fi style DLC, WITH SCIENCE!

Lonesome Road is the tale (finally) of Ulysses, why he didn't take the job of handling the Platinum Chip, and the message he wants to deliver to The Courier.

BTW: Ulysses is a guy that scares Joshua Graham, and was sent to KILL HIM! And you're running TOWARDS this guy.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Jan 9 2012, 07:47 PM
Post #18

The ShadowComedian

OK, if they are both in the GOTY, i WILL buy it a third time <.<

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Jan 9 2012, 07:57 PM
Post #19

Immortal Elf

You can buy the DLCs separate, as I understand it. Unless there's something strange going on in Germany.

There's also DLCs that give you all the pre-order items, and another one that adds many, many weapons. Including the Semi-Automatic Rifle that I was drooling over in the previews of the game and only showed up in it's unique form (This Machine).

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Jan 9 2012, 08:04 PM
Post #20

The ShadowComedian

Nothing strange going on in germany, aside from credit cards not being the norm for anybody above 16.
i just don't LIKE buying stuff that i can't pay in cash for <.<
even if i DO order stuff online, i have it delivered to a shop in town and give them money and take my toy.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Jan 9 2012, 10:17 PM
Post #21

Immortal Elf

Fair enough, support local business. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Jan 9 2012, 10:49 PM
Post #22

The ShadowComedian

Yup.
The Butcher knows me.
The Sweets-Dealer knows me.
The Drinks-Dealer knows me.
The Tech-Shops LIKE me.
Hell, i am on first name base with several of them ^^

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Jan 9 2012, 11:11 PM
Post #23

Immortal Elf

Stahl, "Dealer" means something quite a bit different in North America. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

+Quote Post
Rastus
post Jan 10 2012, 01:44 AM
Post #24

Moving Target

QUOTE (Doc Chase @ Jan 9 2012, 01:20 PM) *
An automatic rocket launcher.

That's what.

Honestly, with exception of the lizards, Lonesome Road wasn't that bad.

Those "lizards" aren't so bad. They are certainly tougher than their 0 DT would suggest, which tells me their DR is jacked way up. Still, grabbing a high DPS gun and loading it with hollowpoints can make them managable.

No, my biggest challange is not the enemies. Hell, the Courier's Mile wasn't so bad, despite dying to Irradiated Deathclaws about 3 times, but still, nothing the YCS/186 and Max Charge cells can't fix. No, this one is much more insidious. I am of course, talking about the most dangerous thing introduced in Lonesome Road: THE SATCHEL CHARGE! These things are mean little bastards. Tons of damage, detect you from very far away, and their detonation delay is a mere fraction of any other 'landmine' type explosive. Other mines go 'beepbeepbeepbeepbeep-BOOM!" This one only beeps twice, just long enough for you to curse the heavens as your goddamn arms and legs get crippled again.

+Quote Post
Doc Chase
post Jan 10 2012, 05:06 AM
Post #25

Runner

QUOTE (Rastus @ Jan 10 2012, 02:44 AM) *
Those "lizards" aren't so bad. They are certainly tougher than their 0 DT would suggest, which tells me their DR is jacked way up. Still, grabbing a high DPS gun and loading it with hollowpoints can make them managable.

No, my biggest challange is not the enemies. Hell, the Courier's Mile wasn't so bad, despite dying to Irradiated Deathclaws about 3 times, but still, nothing the YCS/186 and Max Charge cells can't fix. No, this one is much more insidious. I am of course, talking about the most dangerous thing introduced in Lonesome Road: THE SATCHEL CHARGE! These things are mean little bastards. Tons of damage, detect you from very far away, and their detonation delay is a mere fraction of any other 'landmine' type explosive. Other mines go 'beepbeepbeepbeepbeep-BOOM!" This one only beeps twice, just long enough for you to curse the heavens as your goddamn arms and legs get crippled again.

This is why Light Step is a part of every build.

+Quote Post

9 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 09:03 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.