IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> X-Com: Enemy Unknown, Updates to the Classic.
Adarael
post Jan 9 2012, 09:11 PM
Post #1

Deus Absconditus

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,566

I'm not talking about the 2K FPS version, called XCOM. I'm talking about Firaxis's version. The one that looks like the real deal.

I just went "EEEEEEEEEE" way too much.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Warlordtheft
post Jan 9 2012, 09:55 PM
Post #2

Neophyte Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 11,360

SQUEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!! I loved the original and am glad they are going back to the orginal concept and not an RTS for the tactical map.

+Quote Post
Tanegar
post Jan 9 2012, 10:14 PM
Post #3

Runner

Member No.: 9,731

"Squeeee!" thirded.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Jan 9 2012, 10:16 PM
Post #4

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 14,465

SHINY!

+Quote Post
crash2029
post Jan 9 2012, 11:59 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

From: The seemingly unknown area of land between Seattle and Idaho.
Member No.: 9,910

Oh, hell yeah!

+Quote Post
X-Kalibur
post Jan 10 2012, 08:04 PM
Post #6

Runner

Member No.: 8,626

This news exciting me in my pants. Check out the interview they have with some of the team members, talking about making people who are on the team who hadn't played the original, play it. Sounds like they have their head and heart in the right place.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Jan 10 2012, 08:06 PM
Post #7

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (X-Kalibur @ Jan 10 2012, 04:04 PM) *
This news exciting me in my pants. Check out the interview they have with some of the team members, talking about making people who are on the team who hadn't played the original, play it. Sounds like they have their head and heart in the right place.
"YOU WILL STAY IN THAT CHAIR UNTIL YOU HAVE FOUND OUT WHERE THE ALIENS ARE COMING FROM!" "But I have to go to the bathroom!" "SUFFER FOR YOUR ART!!!"

+Quote Post
Adarael
post Jan 10 2012, 08:22 PM
Post #8

Deus Absconditus

"Oh, you think you're a bad ass? Go, play Terror from the Deep on Supergenius. You will not be paid until you beat it."

+Quote Post
X-Kalibur
post Jan 10 2012, 08:36 PM
Post #9

Runner

QUOTE (Adarael @ Jan 10 2012, 12:22 PM) *
"Oh, you think you're a bad ass? Go, play Terror from the Deep on Supergenius. You will not be paid until you beat it."

Gods how I loved and hated TFTD. My favorite trick was to run a cannon fodder recruit into formations of lobster men with a backpack full of sonic grenades and 1 primed in his hand. The biggest BS was the floating brains. What? You made Chrysalids that can FLY? FUCK YOU, MICROPROSE!

That said, I've played and beated Apoc on supergenius. It was quite fun.

+Quote Post
Adarael
post Jan 10 2012, 09:55 PM
Post #10

Deus Absconditus

My favorite trick was to run a cannon fodder recruit into formations of lobster men with a backpack full of sonic grenades and 1 primed in his hand.

This is an amazing example of lateral thinking. I am embarassed I didn't ever try this. I just loaded everyone with a heavy thermic lance and waded in for some hand to hand.

+Quote Post
X-Kalibur
post Jan 11 2012, 07:29 AM
Post #11

Runner

There were parts of TFTD that just scream poorly coded to me. Troopers with a high accuracy stat were actually screwed with the heavy sonic cannon, because an aimed shot would take more TUs than they could hold. I enjoyed how they tried to make you rely on the new hand to hand weapons (especially on lobster men) and grenades because FAR more useful than they ever were in X-COM. Not having auto shot on the sonic weapons really hurt, the sonic rifles were more useful than the heavy sonic/sonic cannon. Some of the early weapons being unusable during land/base missions was particularly infuriating. Also, you couldn't fly in land missions... but the brains could still do it and zombie your whole team in a hurry.

+Quote Post
Warlordtheft
post Jan 11 2012, 02:59 PM
Post #12

Neophyte Runner

In the final stages, I loved doing a mind control chain to see the whole board and then sending a couple of cruise missles right into the spot where 8 of the alien commanders on a battleship congregated.

TFTD was also fun, but sometimes when fighting on cruise ships finding that last hiddin alien was a real pain. Also the cruise torpedo didn't work on land. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/frown.gif)

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post Jan 11 2012, 05:54 PM
Post #13

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,383

My biggest difficulty or barrier to getting into the original x com was how without a manual I had no idea what I was attempting to manage. The icons were not clear to me. Also the alien turns would go on fast forward, almost too fast to see, and then I wasn't sure what all the tactical icons meant.

So if someone remakes the game in such a format that I can actually understand what I'm doing, I'd be curious to try the game again.

+Quote Post
X-Kalibur
post Jan 11 2012, 06:00 PM
Post #14

Runner

Blaster Bombs - more fun than a barrel of monkeys - until they send one right up the tailpipe of your Skyranger.

WR - You might try the Steam version, it's been DOSBoxed and runs at a more reasonable speed, instead of super fast forward.

+Quote Post
Doc Chase
post Jan 11 2012, 06:33 PM
Post #15

Runner

Member No.: 18,688

QUOTE (X-Kalibur @ Jan 10 2012, 08:36 PM) *
That said, I've played and beated Apoc on supergenius. It was quite fun.

Apoc was a hoot because you could have flying armor and heavy artillery within the first week, and all it costs is some bribes to shut MarSec up after you raided their facilities.

+Quote Post
X-Kalibur
post Jan 11 2012, 07:56 PM
Post #16

Runner

QUOTE (Doc Chase @ Jan 11 2012, 10:33 AM) *
Apoc was a hoot because you could have flying armor and heavy artillery within the first week, and all it costs is some bribes to shut MarSec up after you raided their facilities.

You mean I wasn't the only one who did that? Don't forget dropping stun grenades at your feet to avoid taking a death, especially to poppers and brain suckers. I did like the MarSec armor, mostly because it was lighter than the Megapol stuff, but it also had less protection as well.

Don't forget raiding the cult of sirius early on for combat experience and potentially good money selling off weapons you snag and any Psiclones that might be there. Those sold for a couple thousand a piece I think.

+Quote Post
Warlordtheft
post Jan 11 2012, 08:35 PM
Post #17

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (X-Kalibur @ Jan 11 2012, 01:00 PM) *
Blaster Bombs - more fun than a barrel of monkeys - until they send one right up the tailpipe of your Skyranger.

Yeah---first priority in any X-com mission, get off the damn transport!

+Quote Post
Doc Chase
post Jan 11 2012, 10:24 PM
Post #18

Runner

Member No.: 18,688

QUOTE (X-Kalibur @ Jan 11 2012, 08:56 PM) *
You mean I wasn't the only one who did that? Don't forget dropping stun grenades at your feet to avoid taking a death, especially to poppers and brain suckers. I did like the MarSec armor, mostly because it was lighter than the Megapol stuff, but it also had less protection as well.

Don't forget raiding the cult of sirius early on for combat experience and potentially good money selling off weapons you snag and any Psiclones that might be there. Those sold for a couple thousand a piece I think.

Oh yeah. The Cult made my folks marksmen, and MarSec let me fly.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Jan 11 2012, 11:07 PM
Post #19

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Warlordtheft @ Jan 11 2012, 04:35 PM) *
Yeah---first priority in any X-com mission, get off the damn transport!
*Bang* "CO's dead, what do you do?" "Uh-Uh-Uh." *Bang* "He's dead, what do you do?" "GET OFF THE TRANSPORT!"

+Quote Post
Rastus
post Jan 11 2012, 11:51 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 7,131

For some reason, I feel this appropriate to the topic at hand: http://lparchive.org/X-COM-UFO-Defense/Upd...34-xcom237a.gif

Ah, the good ol' days...

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Jan 12 2012, 12:38 AM
Post #21

Immortal Elf

I remember the start of one game, when my computer was running everything at supersonic speed, when I accidentally hit the "Next Turn" button... A Sectoid appeared with a Plasma Pistol and fired off two bursts.

All six shots went BETWEEN THE HEADS of everyone in the transport!!! Drop the first two to kneeling, four assault rifles to full auto, baby!

+Quote Post
Blade
post Jan 12 2012, 02:57 AM
Post #22

Runner

Member No.: 9,466

I've got mixed feelings about this. Because of the strategy part, the tactical part quickly got uninteresting (you either have the right gear/troops to face your enemies and it's a walk in the park or you don't and you're screwed) and the strategy part felt like trial and error more than strategy to me.

+Quote Post
Warlordtheft
post Jan 12 2012, 02:44 PM
Post #23

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (CanRay @ Jan 11 2012, 06:07 PM) *
*Bang* "CO's dead, what do you do?" "Uh-Uh-Uh." *Bang* "He's dead, what do you do?" "GET OFF THE TRANSPORT!"

Read my sig DGIF: Drones go in first!

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif)

+Quote Post
Warlordtheft
post Jan 12 2012, 02:50 PM
Post #24

Neophyte Runner

QUOTE (Blade @ Jan 11 2012, 09:57 PM) *
I've got mixed feelings about this. Because of the strategy part, the tactical part quickly got uninteresting (you either have the right gear/troops to face your enemies and it's a walk in the park or you don't and you're screwed) and the strategy part felt like trial and error more than strategy to me.

Yeah, the early part of the game was the tactically challenging part-later in the game it became one of those I win cause your armor, weapons and troops rocked. Where as the stragery part of the game became more important later in the game (Research priorities, base placement and design). I recall having two to three major bases where I could launch troops from, and the rest beeing listing posts/interceptor bases. Sometimes they would attack the interceptor base and that would be fun. I put my worst troops on guard duty. Loved the motion sensor grenades!!

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Jan 12 2012, 02:56 PM
Post #25

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Member No.: 5,760

I'm still tremendously frustrated that my game corrupted in the penultimate mission (there's a game bug that if you go into combat while also following another ship, the game fails when you leave combat). And I was bad about my saves, so nothing to fallback on. Sooner or later I'm going to just hack the saved game to catch up.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:07 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.