Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Logging off or logging on?, which do I use
Moon-Hawk
post Apr 8 2004, 04:11 PM
Post #1

Genuine Artificial Intelligence

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,715

So, by the rules, as I understand it, whenever you go to a new RTG, LTG, PLTG, or host, you use the Logon to RTG/LTG/Host operation.
So if I'm on a Red-12 host being chewed on by some Black IC, I can't very well logoff, but I can Logon to LTG to escape easily?
Or an even less violent example: I'm in the Red-12 Host with access through the roof. I managed to get in and kill the Black IC, but I'm all beat up, my target numbers are to hell, I can't manage a Gracefull Logoff, and I don't want the dumpshock, but I can Logon to LTG to escape?
Or is it more like:
RTG-->LTG Logon to LTG
LTG-->Host Logon to Host
Host-->LTG Graceful Logoff
LTG-->out Graceful Logoff
Host-->out Graceful Logoff

Distilled question: What's to stop deckers from logging on to the parent LTG (insanely easy) instead of logging off the host (insanely hard)?

p.s. to those quoting rules: page numbers will be appreciated
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Apr 8 2004, 05:58 PM
Post #2

Soooo.......I guess this is either a really good question or a really stupid one.
Anyone?
Anyone?
Beuller?

edit: As an additional reference, I look at Matrix pg 120 for one-way SANs and Dead-End Hosts, but that still didn't answer my question. It talked about getting trapped in a host, and the only way to escape was with a graceful logoff or an access test against "the" access rating +1d6, but doesn't say which access rating it's talking about, that of the host or the LTG. grrrr.

+Quote Post
bahwi
post Apr 8 2004, 06:55 PM
Post #3

Target

Member No.: 3,676

Well, technically(not rules-wise AFAIK), you would be logging off of the host, but not a graceful logoff. Also, I forget whether IC can move in the matrix or not? But a regular security decker from a corp SHOULD be after you with a tracker and could easily follow you into an LTG and up into the RTG.

Remember LTG's are local, and have hosts on them. LTGs connect to hosts and to RTGs. RTGs are connected to other RTGs and to the LTGs within, no hosts. So it wouldn't be difficult to follow you around.

However, as far as rules go I could be way off. But who is to say there isn't a hostile decker after you, and a security decker would have access to the LTG legally, as well as a permit to use his weapons. And would come after you. And as an IC is just a creation, I would rule that they could follow you as well if you attempt to escape. But the rules may contradict me on this (I don't play any deckers and generally do not allow them, but once in a while it comes up).

Hope this helps! I doubt it but it may shed some kind of light!

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Apr 8 2004, 07:08 PM
Post #4

The Matrix rules are definitely tricky, but I love them, and so do my players (at least they seem to) so I'm determined to make them work.

That doesn't really help the problem that a Graceful Logoff TN 18 can be replaced by Logon to Host TN 5 followed by a Graceful Logoff TN 5.
Or if it can't, I'd like to get clear on why.

The best solution I can think of is that the GM keeps track of the deckers "path" through the grid, and when they're going forward it's a Logon, and when they're backtracking it's a Graceful Logoff that doesn't disconnect you, but just moves you to the previous LTG or whatever.

Of course, then what if they're going forward and pass an LTG that they've already been on? I guess this gets more like bouncing yourself around in Telnet. Ugh.

How would everyone handle this if their player tried it? Let them get away with the TN 5's? Make them Logoff? Throw the Matrix book at them?

+Quote Post
Herald of Verjig...
post Apr 8 2004, 07:34 PM
Post #5

Runner

Member No.: 4,017

QUOTE (Moon-Hawk)
Throw the Matrix book at them?

Carp-slap is a common choice.

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Apr 8 2004, 07:41 PM
Post #6

Thank you, Herald, for your input regarding my question. :S
Please, feel free to offer your wisdom regarding my other question.

Or are y'all too scared to touch this thread? :nyah:

+Quote Post
bahwi
post Apr 8 2004, 10:01 PM
Post #7

Target

Member No.: 3,676

True, just trying to shed some light on the subject. I would rule if I were you (the rules do not encompass everything!) that he has to perform a graceful log off for the host to transfer his icon back to the LTG. If he can not get transferred through the connection (is trying to go directly) then he is performing it again and has to jack out or graceful log off first.

Remeber, if an IC is on his tail, they have a security tally on him and until an admin (read: hostile corp decker) comes and clears him, the host doesn't have to transfer him back. Interuppting the data stream raw and attemping to log back onto the LTG is basically jacking out and jacking back in (read: pulling the plug) just very quickly.

It's not a rules thing, but it would be an acceptable ruling IMO.

+Quote Post
mfb
post Apr 8 2004, 11:14 PM
Post #8

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 5,670

any TN mods to Graceful Logoff, i apply to any test for leaving the host at all. that is, i believe, more in keeping with the intention of the rules.

+Quote Post
Dalassa
post Apr 8 2004, 11:24 PM
Post #9

Target

Member No.: 2,944

If you came in through the LTG then you are still logged on to it so you just need to make the logoff of the host. If you didn't then you need to logoff the host and logon to the LTG which I interpert as subsumed in the logoff call (think of it as one host passing you to another).

In simple terms beat them when they use a work around like that. In setting terms think of it as the host is screaming at the LTG about how horrible this icon is and attempting to hold you in. Warn them to keep kleenex at hand to clean up the nosebleeds.

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Apr 9 2004, 02:44 AM
Post #10

mfb: I sort of agree with that, but it still doesn't change the problem that the LTG's access rating can be up to 12 or more less than the Host's.

Dalassa: I'm afraid I don't really follow you, since "logoff of the host" is not a valid system operation. Please explain in terms of Graceful Logoff, Logon to Host, and Logon to LTG. Are you agreeing that it's either way it's an access test again the higher of the two ratings? (usually the host's)

+Quote Post
Dashifen
post Apr 9 2004, 01:57 PM
Post #11

Technomancer

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,374

Okay, I agree with Dalassa. This is how I see it:

1) Decker Logged on to LTG.
2) Decker found the host they wanted to infiltrate.
3) Decker Logs on to Host.
4) Decker gets hit with IC, gets scared, wants to leave.

Following these very basic steps, the Decker, in my opinion, cannot log onto the LTG right now because he is already logged onto the LTG at step one with his current icon. So, the only method to get of the host would be to use Graceful Logoff to remove any trace of his existence on the host or to pull the plug and suffer dumpshock. The second option, while it might keep him alive, would also leave evidence of his being in the host.

Another option could be this, however. Some host, like chokepoints or hidden SANs, you can log on to another host from within a host (see system tricks in Matrix). If this option is available, a logon to another host (not the LTG) might be available to the Decker. But his tally would still come with him into the new host and he/she may not be any better off than in the first place.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Apr 9 2004, 02:04 PM
Post #12

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

Was this situation ever covered in the Idiot's Guide to the MAtrix?

+Quote Post
Eyeless Blond
post Apr 9 2004, 02:59 PM
Post #13

Decker on the Threshold

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,156

Not as I recall, no. The first situation just had the guy do a Graceful Logoff and throw alot of Hacking Pool at it to make it work. :)

But, to hopefully give a bit of input to our question, I seem to recall that security tallies transfer over from spot to spot. So, if someone who has triggered (and is probably supressing) five or six pieces of IC and has a tally in the low teens/early twenties Logs On to another place, even a lowly LTG he's going to be running into about four to half a dozen events on the LTG's security sheaf right away, including most likely Probes and Scouts, whom'll jack up all your Matrix tests until you get rid of (and supress) all of 'em, and lots of other nasty pieces of IC. Logging on anywhere with a high tally is at best a risky buseness, and at worst is highly dangerous.

This, btw, is another reason to put everything really important and hard-to-crack behond a firewall (read: chokepoint.) That way when the drek hits the fan the decker won't want to Logon anywhere else, 'cause the only place to go would be the Red-hard chokepoint!

+Quote Post
Dashifen
post Apr 9 2004, 03:22 PM
Post #14

Technomancer

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,374

QUOTE (Eyeless Bond)
This, btw, is another reason to put everything really important and hard-to-crack behond a firewall (read: chokepoint.) That way when the drek hits the fan the decker won't want to Logon anywhere else, 'cause the only place to go would be the Red-hard chokepoint!

You're almost right. Technically the Red-Hard is the chokepoint so that would be where the drek hits the fan. Then, the host behindthe chokepoint is usually a little bit easier (like Orange-Average in this case). If you look at system tricks in Matrix it describes this exact phenomenon. The security in the chokepoint, however, is so damned hard as to make most deckers pale at getting through it (or that's the idea) so the host behind it is not quite as bad. Unless you're really nasty :vegm:

+Quote Post
Moon-Hawk
post Apr 9 2004, 03:23 PM
Post #15

Okay, so I think we're all in agreement then, that a Graceful Logoff is the option used to either backtrack or to logoff completely, and the various Logon actions are only for "forward" movement.
I think this solution is the simplest, most realistic, and will prevent the most wear-and-tear on my player-slappin'-carp.
Thanks everyone.

+Quote Post
Eyeless Blond
post Apr 9 2004, 03:32 PM
Post #16

Decker on the Threshold

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,156

QUOTE (Dashifen)
You're almost right.  Technically the Red-Hard is the chokepoint so that would be where the drek hits the fan.  Then, the host behindthe chokepoint is usually a little bit easier (like Orange-Average in this case).  If you look at system tricks in Matrix it describes this exact phenomenon.  The security in the chokepoint, however, is so damned hard as to make most deckers pale at getting through it (or that's the idea) so the host behind it is not quite as bad.  Unless you're really nasty :vegm:

Well, I meant more in the sense that the decker has already ghosted his way *through* the chokepoint once, then racked up a bit of a tally on the Orange-avg host behind it--y'know, doing what deckers do--and wants to leave. Now your options are:

-Graceful Logoff
-Dump shock
-Logon to chokepoint and get screwed. :D

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 24th April 2024 - 01:32 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.