Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Smart Bullets are here.
Saint Hallow
post Feb 1 2012, 01:05 AM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,233

Lockheed Martin creates small caliber smart bullet.

Made for small rounds...
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Erik Baird
post Feb 1 2012, 01:42 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,949

Neat to see the tech's getting smaller. The last time i saw anything about this, I think they had it small enough for .50 BMG.

Too bad the reporter has next to no clue about what she's talking about.

The bullet differs from missile technology, in that the self-guided bullet has an optical sensor that can detect a laser beam on a target, which allows the bullet to steer toward a target.

No, Ms. Skelton, bullets differ from missiles in that bullets have no internal propulsion system. Missiles have a long history of being laser guided; the first I'm aware of is the Shillelagh from the 60's.

*Okay, quick correction: the Shillelagh is guided via an IR laser, not by detecting a target painted with a laser designator. Sill, I know we've had that stuff for awhile, and I know some of our missiles, like the Maverick, track lasers.

+Quote Post
KarmaInferno
post Feb 1 2012, 05:38 AM
Post #3

Old Man Jones

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 1,699

Relevant link is relevant.

-k

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 11:16 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.