Reply to this topicStart new topic
> The Way of the Adept, Huh?
The Jake
post Feb 5 2012, 08:42 PM
Post #1

Shooting Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 872

I only just found out about this book. Can someone please explain why this wasn't included in Street Magic, right after the section on Adept ways?

- J.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Feb 5 2012, 08:44 PM
Post #2

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

They didn't have it yet? Besides, then they couldn't sell it as DLC. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Feb 5 2012, 09:22 PM
Post #3

Immortal Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 14,465

They didn't have the author on their roster yet?

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Feb 5 2012, 09:41 PM
Post #4

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

Lack of time travel is no excuse!

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Feb 5 2012, 09:59 PM
Post #5

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Feb 5 2012, 05:41 PM) *
Lack of time travel is no excuse!
We don't have Police Boxes in Canada.

+Quote Post
bibliophile20
post Feb 6 2012, 06:12 AM
Post #6

Running Target

Member No.: 10,737

... Dr. Who trid show.

Okay, what number Doctor would they be up to, and has the Doctor had a sexy elf shamaness as a companion yet? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/silly.gif)

+Quote Post
Blitz66
post Feb 6 2012, 06:40 AM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 32,605

QUOTE (bibliophile20 @ Feb 6 2012, 06:12 AM) *
... Dr. Who trid show.

Okay, what number Doctor would they be up to, and has the Doctor had a sexy elf shamaness as a companion yet? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/silly.gif)

In the 2030s, as they examined the consequences of a Time Lord exceeding their natural regeneration allotment. She was one of the most popular Companions to date, because she was just that gorgeous, and funny too, but she and the 18th Doctor had an unfortunate lack of on-camera chemistry, and she was getting lots of other offers, so she only lasted for a single season, replaced by a cute dwarven pyromaniac reminiscent of Ace. Fandom looks back on the elven Companion as casting for sex appeal rather than fitting the role, causing bitter Matrix feuds between the Who fandom and other aficionados of stage and screen, because her post-Who roles were mostly award-winning classics.

"Current" Who is kind of a controversial re-branding period, after a vastly unpopular series of the Doctor as a tweed-suited ork. The series hired on the best writers in the industry to try to make this work, but the fans weren't interested in an ork Doctor, the great writing couldn't carry it, the Doctor regenerated in the series finale, and the writers that hadn't quit in disgust got canned. The handsome human Anglo-Saxon actor playing the 33rd Doctor is a bit dim, isn't working with the greatest writing staff, and has shifted to a more theatrically aggressive, almost two-fisted approach to saving the universe, which has long-term fans distressed. The ratings, though, have recovered over 80% of what they lost over the course of the last series, and the producers aren't going to argue with results!

+Quote Post
Bull
post Feb 6 2012, 07:32 AM
Post #8

Grumpy Old Ork Decker

Group: Admin
Member No.: 50

Mainly because, as has been noted, it was written well after Street Magic. Like 5 years after.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Feb 6 2012, 07:41 AM
Post #9

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Blitz66 @ Feb 6 2012, 02:40 AM) *
In the 2030s, as they examined the consequences of a Time Lord exceeding their natural regeneration allotment. She was one of the most popular Companions to date, because she was just that gorgeous, and funny too, but she and the 18th Doctor had an unfortunate lack of on-camera chemistry, and she was getting lots of other offers, so she only lasted for a single season, replaced by a cute dwarven pyromaniac reminiscent of Ace. Fandom looks back on the elven Companion as casting for sex appeal rather than fitting the role, causing bitter Matrix feuds between the Who fandom and other aficionados of stage and screen, because her post-Who roles were mostly award-winning classics.

"Current" Who is kind of a controversial re-branding period, after a vastly unpopular series of the Doctor as a tweed-suited ork. The series hired on the best writers in the industry to try to make this work, but the fans weren't interested in an ork Doctor, the great writing couldn't carry it, the Doctor regenerated in the series finale, and the writers that hadn't quit in disgust got canned. The handsome human Anglo-Saxon actor playing the 33rd Doctor is a bit dim, isn't working with the greatest writing staff, and has shifted to a more theatrically aggressive, almost two-fisted approach to saving the universe, which has long-term fans distressed. The ratings, though, have recovered over 80% of what they lost over the course of the last series, and the producers aren't going to argue with results!
The producers aren't arguing, but they're planning for the future. Some Paydata I got suggests that the next Doctor will be a Dwarf, they'll bring back said Elven Companion (Who is seriously slotted off that he time jumped without her when last seen!), and after a half-century, the Daleks will return!

Oh, and to sweeten the bill, they found another "Lost" episode! They're trying to restore it now from the poor storage conditions it suffered when it was in a Moscow bus station long-term storage locker since the 1960s. (Now that's some long term storage!).

+Quote Post
Blitz66
post Feb 6 2012, 04:22 PM
Post #10

Moving Target

QUOTE (CanRay @ Feb 6 2012, 08:41 AM) *
The producers aren't arguing, but they're planning for the future. Some Paydata I got suggests that the next Doctor will be a Dwarf, they'll bring back said Elven Companion (Who is seriously slotted off that he time jumped without her when last seen!), and after a half-century, the Daleks will return!

Oh, and to sweeten the bill, they found another "Lost" episode! They're trying to restore it now from the poor storage conditions it suffered when it was in a Moscow bus station long-term storage locker since the 1960s. (Now that's some long term storage!).

CanRay, you've been slumming on the wrong fansites. The producers took all the race-centered risk they're going to with the ork Doctor, and it took them a while to work up to THAT after the first black Doctor, back in the early '60s. And reaction to THAT was overall positive, if a bit heated. How long do you think it's going to take them to have another non-human Doctor? I figure turn of the century, soonest.

I know the elf Companion's name turned up in the casting news, but they'd never bring back a big-time award-winning star like her as a full-time Companion. I'm pretty sure she'll be limited to a Christmas special, or a nostalgia episode. At the very most, three or four minor appearances as a plot-provider, throughout the next series.

I don't know how I feel about the return of the Daleks. They tend to get overused and increasingly poorly written when re-introduced. Maybe the fifty years off will turn out to have been good for them. We'll see!

+Quote Post
Critias
post Feb 6 2012, 05:25 PM
Post #11

Freelance Elf

Member No.: 6,714

QUOTE (The Jake @ Feb 5 2012, 04:42 PM) *
I only just found out about this book. Can someone please explain why this wasn't included in Street Magic, right after the section on Adept ways?

- J.

If I could've written it then, I would've. As it was, it was the very first thing I talked to The Powers That Be about, once I got my foot in the door as a freelancer.

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Feb 6 2012, 05:36 PM
Post #12

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 16,392

QUOTE (Blitz66 @ Feb 6 2012, 11:22 AM) *
I don't know how I feel about the return of the Daleks. They tend to get overused and increasingly poorly written when re-introduced. Maybe the fifty years off will turn out to have been good for them. We'll see!

I've come to agree. Their first appearance should have been their last, actually. Seeing as how he murdered their entire civilization before it managed to discover "batteries" and hover (not to mention space travel).

+Quote Post
Tanegar
post Feb 6 2012, 06:12 PM
Post #13

Runner

Member No.: 9,731

QUOTE (Blitz66 @ Feb 6 2012, 01:40 AM) *
...cute dwarven pyromaniac...

Have you been raiding my idea file? Molly Molotov is my creation, damnit!

+Quote Post
Blitz66
post Feb 6 2012, 08:52 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

QUOTE (Draco18s @ Feb 6 2012, 06:36 PM) *
I've come to agree. Their first appearance should have been their last, actually. Seeing as how he murdered their entire civilization before it managed to discover "batteries" and hover (not to mention space travel).

The Daleks have had some moments of brilliance, but more commonly, their plotlines read more like homages. "Remember the old days?" Disappointing. It will be interesting to see what the writers of the 2070s have to contribute to a Dalek story.

QUOTE (Tanegar @ Feb 6 2012, 07:12 PM) *
Have you been raiding my idea file? Molly Molotov is my creation, damnit!

"Cute" because many Companions are, "dwarven" because it's different from human, not a troll or ork, and elves have already had their go, and "pyromaniac" because it's an exciting trait that nonetheless is familiar to old fans, tying back to a previous Companion from ages back. At least, I'm sure that's what they're thinking. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
bobbaganoosh
post Feb 6 2012, 11:51 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Group: Validating
Member No.: 19,165

Is this talk of Doctor Who canon? If so, which book is it from? If not, it certainly should be.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Feb 6 2012, 11:57 PM
Post #16

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (bobbaganoosh @ Feb 6 2012, 07:51 PM) *
Is this talk of Doctor Who canon? If so, which book is it from? If not, it certainly should be.
I wish. It's just us trying to derail a thread.

Successfully! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Blitz66
post Feb 7 2012, 06:07 AM
Post #17

Moving Target

QUOTE (bobbaganoosh @ Feb 7 2012, 12:51 AM) *

If Catalyst wants to put their stamp on my version of Who-canon, though, they can feel free. Throw it on the wiki, or whatever else won't get them in legal trouble with the BBC. I feel it's some of my best extemporaneous nonsense in months. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
bibliophile20
post Feb 7 2012, 02:58 PM
Post #18

Running Target

I'm sorely tempted to put it up on the Homebrew Fluff page on my group's wiki (with a suitable "don't sue me!" disclaimer...) as shadowtalk... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Feb 7 2012, 07:00 PM
Post #19

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (bibliophile20 @ Feb 7 2012, 10:58 AM) *
I'm sorely tempted to put it up on the Homebrew Fluff page on my group's wiki (with a suitable "don't sue me!" disclaimer...) as shadowtalk... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
There's an official "Don't Sue Me" disclaimer available on the official website.

+Quote Post
Blitz66
post Feb 7 2012, 09:55 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

QUOTE (bibliophile20 @ Feb 7 2012, 03:58 PM) *

Feel free. I love the idea of my silly writing adding color to other groups' game experience.

+Quote Post
bibliophile20
post Feb 8 2012, 03:30 PM
Post #21

Running Target

Added. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/spin.gif)

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Feb 8 2012, 05:29 PM
Post #22

Immortal Elf

YAY! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
bibliophile20
post Feb 8 2012, 05:32 PM
Post #23

Running Target

keep it coming, that's all I have to say...

+Quote Post
snowRaven
post Feb 9 2012, 03:53 AM
Post #24

Shooting Target

Member No.: 4,516

QUOTE (bibliophile20 @ Feb 8 2012, 04:30 PM) *

Awesome!

Best rant-fluff I've seen in a long time (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Feb 9 2012, 03:56 AM
Post #25

Immortal Elf

Yep! *Sighs* Ah well...

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 04:29 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.