> An Explanation for Street Names
Mercer
post Feb 6 2012, 09:23 AM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,600

Mexican Gang Nicknames.

"People in some of these neighborhoods are known more by their nicknames than their real names," says Celeste Saenz, the general secretary of Mexico's Press Club. "The nicknames give them some status, some sense of belonging to a group."
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Feb 6 2012, 05:56 PM
Post #2

Immortal Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 14,465

It also cuts down on the "Bob" issues.

"OK, Robert, Bob, and Bert..." "Which one am I again?" "Bob." "Oh, and him?" "Bert." "Oh, and him?" "Bert, Robert, beat the stupid out of Bob please."

+Quote Post
post Feb 6 2012, 06:15 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 326

Street names have a long and colorful history extending as far back as any record I know of. They conceal true identity, serve as book cover on which one can be judged, and provide a means of distinguishing one's self from civilians or junior members. They're very common for modern criminals, particularly organized professional criminals [read: gang members, mafioso, etc], and professional criminals working in teams with unfamiliar people.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Feb 6 2012, 06:19 PM
Post #4

Immortal Elf

"Mr. Pink?" "Yeah, it kinda got stuck to me. Hey, I was the only one that got away at the end, you know why? I DON'T TIP!"

+Quote Post
snowRaven
post Feb 6 2012, 06:47 PM
Post #5

Shooting Target

Member No.: 4,516

QUOTE (CanRay @ Feb 6 2012, 07:19 PM) *
"Mr. Pink?" "Yeah, it kinda got stuck to me. Hey, I was the only one that got away at the end, you know why? I DON'T TIP!"

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif)

+Quote Post
Dr.Rockso
post Feb 6 2012, 08:37 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,849

QUOTE (CanRay @ Feb 6 2012, 12:56 PM) *
It also cuts down on the "Bob" issues.

"OK, Robert, Bob, and Bert..." "Which one am I again?" "Bob." "Oh, and him?" "Bert." "Oh, and him?" "Bert, Robert, beat the stupid out of Bob please."

You laugh, but one of my players' street name is Bob. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/silly.gif)

+Quote Post
snowRaven
post Feb 6 2012, 10:10 PM
Post #7

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Dr.Rockso @ Feb 6 2012, 09:37 PM) *
You laugh, but one of my players' street name is Bob. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/silly.gif)

Get back to me when you have a player with the street name of 'Johnson', insisting on being called 'mister' as well...

+Quote Post
The Jake
post Feb 7 2012, 03:39 AM
Post #8

Shooting Target

Member No.: 872

One of the players in my group uses the name Cash Steel, aka. Cash.

- J.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Feb 7 2012, 03:42 AM
Post #9

Immortal Elf

I have no street names. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/frown.gif)

+Quote Post
kzt
post Feb 7 2012, 06:10 AM
Post #10

Great Dragon

Member No.: 9,234

Typically you get given a street name, you don't pick it out. Louis Ferrante said it was to some extent a memory trick to keep people straight, as nobody in the mob wrote down anything. It was a lot easier to remember The Chin than Vincent Gigante or Joe Batters than Antonino Accardo. In the first case it's because he had a heck of a chin, in the other it was given to him by Capone for how good he was at hitting people with baseball bats.

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon8685
post Feb 7 2012, 07:18 AM
Post #11

Horror

Member No.: 7,445

QUOTE (snowRaven @ Feb 6 2012, 05:10 PM) *
Get back to me when you have a player with the street name of 'Johnson', insisting on being called 'mister' as well...

Too easy.

Get someone to take one of the international Johnson names as their street name, like say, Monsieur Dupont (bonus points for being deprecated) or Herr Schmidt.

+Quote Post
Seriously Mike
post Feb 7 2012, 08:16 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 36,268

QUOTE (kzt @ Feb 7 2012, 07:10 AM) *
It was a lot easier to remember The Chin than Vincent Gigante or Joe Batters than Antonino Accardo. In the first case it's because he had a heck of a chin, in the other it was given to him by Capone for how good he was at hitting people with baseball bats.

Actually, if I remember the anecdote right, "Chin" came from how his mother called him (similarly to Shemp Howard).

+Quote Post
CanadianWolverin...
post Feb 8 2012, 12:32 AM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,309

And does anyone ever really want to ask why someone is called Joker or Scarface? Seems like it would be detrimental to ones health.

+Quote Post
post Feb 8 2012, 04:46 AM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 326

QUOTE (CanRay @ Feb 7 2012, 03:42 AM) *
I have no street names. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/frown.gif)

You spend a lot of time being a criminal, do you?

Anyway, I don't suspect CanRay's what's on your maple-leaf-shaped birth certificate, so you've got at least one street name.

+Quote Post
snowRaven
post Feb 8 2012, 08:29 PM
Post #15

Shooting Target

QUOTE (3278 @ Feb 8 2012, 05:46 AM) *
You spend a lot of time being a criminal, do you?

Anyway, I don't suspect CanRay's what's on your maple-leaf-shaped birth certificate, so you've got at least one street name.

Shhh! Don't poke him when he's sad, he may get angry...

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Feb 8 2012, 10:56 PM
Post #16

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (snowRaven @ Feb 8 2012, 04:29 PM) *
Shhh! Don't poke him when he's sad, he may get angry...
I just get sadder.

+Quote Post
Fatum
post Feb 8 2012, 11:30 PM
Post #17

Runner

Member No.: 17,589

A lot of people around me about my age (pretty much everyone I don't interact with in formal surroundings on a regular basis) know each other by nicknames and not names. That includes my school and university classmates, my gaming group buddies, and assorted others. We often joke that when They come to arrest us, we won't even be able to point out the accomplices by names.

+Quote Post
Seriously Mike
post Feb 9 2012, 01:37 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

QUOTE (Fatum @ Feb 9 2012, 12:30 AM) *
A lot of people around me about my age (pretty much everyone I don't interact with in formal surroundings on a regular basis) know each other by nicknames and not names. That includes my school and university classmates, my gaming group buddies, and assorted others. We often joke that when They come to arrest us, we won't even be able to point out the accomplices by names.

Yeah, but it's Russia. What with the name + otchestvo deal in formal environment. Among friends, nobody's gonna bother about that.
...while we're at it, where can I find a dictionary of the Russian criminal slang? I might need it sometime soon.

+Quote Post
Fatum
post Feb 9 2012, 04:49 PM
Post #19

Runner

As a matter of fact, there is still a difference between addressing people by first name and by nickname... The usual form of address for equals is by first name.
Also, otchestvo translates to "patronymic name", which is as much a descriptive word.
As for criminal slang, well, you can find a workable version in Vice, I believe (though some of the words seem to be made up); as for network sources, you might imagine, I've never needed fenya translated to English...

+Quote Post
Seriously Mike
post Feb 9 2012, 09:53 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Normal Russian will do, if I can't understand something in normal Russian (and I understand some stuff, I'm right around, remember? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) ), I can always use an online translator or dictionary. As for Vice... Between messed-up transliteration and made-up crap there's not much I could use.
And when my players finally meet the Vladivostok outfit, the more brash of two male PCs gets called "vorykhanchik" (li'l rooster in fenya).

+Quote Post
nezumi
post Feb 10 2012, 11:19 AM
Post #21

Incertum est quo loco te mors expectet;

Member No.: 5,760

I have a PC whose street name is 24th W.

He didn't really grasp the concept.

+Quote Post
Seriously Mike
post Feb 10 2012, 12:22 PM
Post #22

Moving Target

Hey, at least it's not 25th, he won't get in trouble with Triads with a name like that (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) .

+Quote Post
Fatum
post Feb 11 2012, 06:44 PM
Post #23

Runner

QUOTE (Seriously Mike @ Feb 10 2012, 12:53 AM) *
Normal Russian will do, if I can't understand something in normal Russian (and I understand some stuff, I'm right around, remember? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif) ), I can always use an online translator or dictionary. As for Vice... Between messed-up transliteration and made-up crap there's not much I could use.
And when my players finally meet the Vladivostok outfit, the more brash of two male PCs gets called "vorykhanchik" (li'l rooster in fenya).
Minding that "rooster" ("petuh") is the slang term for passive homosexuals, with all the untouchable status belonging to that caste in prison brings, your players should have been worried :3
Can't say I've heard the word "vorykhanchik" ever, though.

As for dictionaries of vory sleng, if you read Russian, google is pretty generous when given queries like "словарь блатного жаргона" or "словарь фени". Most of them are decent, like this or this.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Feb 11 2012, 07:31 PM
Post #24

Immortal Elf

And if your Russian is as bad as my French?

+Quote Post
Seriously Mike
post Feb 11 2012, 08:35 PM
Post #25

Moving Target

QUOTE (Fatum @ Feb 11 2012, 07:44 PM) *
Minding that "rooster" ("petuh") is the slang term for passive homosexuals, with all the untouchable status belonging to that caste in prison brings, your players should have been worried :3
Can't say I've heard the word "vorykhanchik" ever, though.
That's even better! Thanks a lot, those two pages should be enough.
As for "vorykhan", it's in one of the fenya examples on Wikipedia. The Russian character I'm planning to introduce isn't exactly bright and he's something of a poser, so if he messes something up, it's no problem (basically, there are two brothers, Nikolai is the savvy businessman and Piotr is the muscle).
QUOTE (CanRay @ Feb 11 2012, 08:31 PM) *
And if your Russian is as bad as my French?
Feeding the second link into Google Translate gives pretty decent results, at least as far as automatic translators from Slavic languages do (hint: they usually don't).

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 30th April 2024 - 08:47 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.