Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Cyberskulls and capacity, Too low?
The Jake
post Feb 7 2012, 03:22 AM
Post #1

Shooting Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 872

Is it just me or is the capacity of an obvious cyberskull waaaay too low (Capacity 4)? I mean a torso is 10, with all the headware, I would have thought 8 for a head is not unreasonable. Especially given the social penalties would be significantly higher... I would have put 4 for one with a synthetic skin or something?

- J.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Feb 7 2012, 03:25 AM
Post #2

Immortal Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 14,465

Take into consideration what you have to leave in the Cyberskull. Important things, like the brain. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Feb 7 2012, 03:29 AM
Post #3

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

If anything, that's just an argument that the torso cap is too high. It's only a shell. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) (But it has lots of surface area, so I guess they can fit a few things in there.)

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Feb 7 2012, 03:31 AM
Post #4

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Feb 6 2012, 11:29 PM) *
If anything, that's just an argument that the torso cap is too high. It's only a shell. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) (But it has lots of surface area, so I guess they can fit a few things in there.)
More if you get it done in the CAS, where potbellied versions are found. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
The Jake
post Feb 7 2012, 03:47 AM
Post #5

Shooting Target

QUOTE (CanRay @ Feb 7 2012, 04:31 AM) *
More if you get it done in the CAS, where potbellied versions are found. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

Ouch. Burn. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

- J.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Feb 7 2012, 03:49 AM
Post #6

Immortal Elf

"Hold muh beer and watch this, gunna use muh belly bomb!"

+Quote Post
Udoshi
post Feb 7 2012, 04:03 AM
Post #7

Runner

Member No.: 17,566

QUOTE (The Jake @ Feb 6 2012, 08:22 PM) *
Is it just me or is the capacity of an obvious cyberskull waaaay too low (Capacity 4)? I mean a torso is 10, with all the headware, I would have thought 8 for a head is not unreasonable. Especially given the social penalties would be significantly higher... I would have put 4 for one with a synthetic skin or something?

- J.

Its based around common sense and size/area, not any actual cost-to-benefit number crunch.

Still, you can use the extra capacity mod from augmentation on it to represent miniaturization and stuff. You can fit a LOT of junk in people's head via Essence. If you're getting a skull, chances are you don't really care about a few more availability.

A cyberskull really needs to give an essence discount on things like Cybereyes/ears/headware that would normally go in the same place as the skull you're replacing.

+Quote Post
The Jake
post Feb 7 2012, 04:08 AM
Post #8

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Udoshi @ Feb 7 2012, 04:03 AM) *
Its based around common sense and size/area, not any actual cost-to-benefit number crunch.

Still, you can use the extra capacity mod from augmentation on it to represent miniaturization and stuff. You can fit a LOT of junk in people's head via Essence. If you're getting a skull, chances are you don't really care about a few more availability.

A cyberskull really needs to give an essence discount on things like Cybereyes/ears/headware that would normally go in the same place as the skull you're replacing.

There's more to it. Even gear which should use a headslot doesn't. Things like attention co-processors and what not. I recognise you're meddling with the brain, I just think there should be some perks to go with the Darth Vader look.

- J.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Feb 7 2012, 04:24 AM
Post #9

Immortal Elf

Like Intimidation bonuses? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
The Jopp
post Feb 7 2012, 12:14 PM
Post #10

Runner

Member No.: 948

Considering the cost of cyberlimbs and the horrendous availability and essence cost of a cyber(shell) for your head I would indeed allow a discount for things that would normally fit inside your head.

Anything not taking up a 'slot' would gain a 10% discount if fitted in a body part it was designed for.

+Quote Post
snowRaven
post Feb 7 2012, 01:08 PM
Post #11

Shooting Target

Member No.: 4,516

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Feb 7 2012, 04:29 AM) *

It is a shell, but there's a fair amount of room available inside the shell - most things in there can be squished around; displaced--even somewhay compressed. you can also build the shell slightly larger than the original body to create more space, and you can remove a lot of pesky bones and muscles that you won't need anymore.

Compare people who tight-lace corsets and the amount of internal space they compress...of course, drastic things like that should infer penalties to fatigue tests, etc...

There should be rules for overstuffing cybertorsos/cyberskulls (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif)

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Feb 7 2012, 01:15 PM
Post #12

Advocatus Diaboli

If there were more benefits, more crazy people would *do* it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/frown.gif) Hehe.

Seriously, snowRaven, I don't want my organs compressed. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Stahlgewitter
post Feb 7 2012, 03:28 PM
Post #13

Target

Member No.: 42,870

As part powergamer ive never seen any use for Cyber replacement.
Way to hard to get and way to costly.
Even your noncybered/nonadept ork gets better Ability's.
And if youre a little powered up theres no way in hell u can get a usefull Cyber replacement.

One time i lost the right arm of my Troll Merc. (yeah i was stupid enough fight barehanded against a Monowhip user ^^)
After that my GM and i thought it would be fitting for him to get a fast cyber replacement so that he is back in action in under a week.
Yeah after Calculating the price for it i simple bought the bio regrowth arm cause with the money one arm would have cost me i could have retired the soldier on Luxus lifestyle...

Also we worked out some simple rules and reduced the cost to 1/10th

But yeah even so nobody takes that shit, so maybe u want to sit down with your GM and discuss this while having a bud (or a real beer (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
The Jake
post Feb 7 2012, 03:30 PM
Post #14

Shooting Target

I used to just allow players to get a matching cyberlimb with the same strength as their other unaugmented limbs at no additional cost or availability hike.

That alone made them a lot more attractive.

PS: I love chrome. Shame I'm playing a shaman with Sensitive System. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/frown.gif)

- J.

+Quote Post
Hida Tsuzua
post Feb 7 2012, 03:30 PM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 1,353

There is the hidden synthetic cyberskull hanging out in the tables in the back of Augmentation. It's avail 16, 15000Y, and has Capacity 2. Still not great, but at least harder for people to tell you have a terminator face. You could also make a cyberware suite of cyberskull, eyes, and ears. You'll save 10% off essence and price.

Honestly, I would just remove the cyberskull as a cyberlimb* and just make it "Skull Replacement." It would be discrete replacement of one's skull, eyes and ears with artificial equivalents. Keep it at the same price and essence cost, but instead of capacity it gives free rating 4 cybereyes, rating 4 cyberears, and 2 points of B/I armor. That's an okay deal for 10000Y and .75 essence.

*- Mainly because cyberskulls can cause weirdness in limb averaging. I would also be fine just making it a partial limb as well.

+Quote Post
darthmord
post Feb 7 2012, 06:51 PM
Post #16

Running Target

Member No.: 11,548

QUOTE (The Jake @ Feb 7 2012, 10:30 AM) *
I used to just allow players to get a matching cyberlimb with the same strength as their other unaugmented limbs at no additional cost or availability hike.

That alone made them a lot more attractive.

PS: I love chrome. Shame I'm playing a shaman with Sensitive System. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/frown.gif)

- J.

I did the same with cyber limbs. Made them a lot more attractive and my players opted for mundanes more often because of it. As such, I rarely had more than one or two characters at the table with a Magic attribute >0

+Quote Post
Irion
post Feb 8 2012, 06:45 AM
Post #17

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 18,860

Yes, the rules for "ware" in cyberparts is not really consistant. They would have need to say, which has to go where.

Second of all the capacity for torso and head is just too low as is the capacity for "synthetic" cyberlimbs.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Feb 8 2012, 03:06 PM
Post #18

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (Irion @ Feb 7 2012, 11:45 PM) *
Second of all the capacity for torso and head is just too low as is the capacity for "synthetic" cyberlimbs.

Funny, I was thinking they were just right. You are forced to be choosy with what you get currently; increase the capacity, and you no longer have the need to be choosy because you can fit everything you want.

+Quote Post
Irion
post Feb 8 2012, 05:09 PM
Post #19

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 18,860

@Tymeaus Jalynsfein
Do not know about which you are talking, so I awnser for head and torso:
The problem is, that you get slots in arms and legs much cheaper.

The other option would be to make the "tasty" stuff like nonohive, torso only...

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Feb 8 2012, 05:17 PM
Post #20

Advocatus Diaboli

That's because arms and legs aren't shells.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Feb 8 2012, 05:21 PM
Post #21

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Feb 8 2012, 10:17 AM) *
That's because arms and legs aren't shells.

Exactly...

+Quote Post
snowRaven
post Feb 8 2012, 08:27 PM
Post #22

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Feb 8 2012, 06:21 PM) *
Exactly...

I agree with both Tymeaus and Yerameyahu!

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Feb 8 2012, 08:54 PM
Post #23

Advocatus Diaboli

High five!

Now, there have indeed been threads about 'making cyber more appealing', and you should feel free to do what you want at your table. I'm not sure that making them vastly cheaper and more effective is the smart move, and it's not like their primary (fluff) purpose is to house gadgets. If you want Capacity… just don't get a Skull. Really, no one should ever get the skull. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Wounded Ronin
post Feb 8 2012, 09:12 PM
Post #24

Great Dragon

Member No.: 6,383

What if I want a skul gun?

+Quote Post
snowRaven
post Feb 8 2012, 11:54 PM
Post #25

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Wounded Ronin @ Feb 8 2012, 10:12 PM) *
What if I want a skul gun?

Get one.

It'll just take up essence instead of capacity if it's big.

I wouldn't want to fire it if it's anything with significant recoil though. Heck, if I had one, I wouldn't want to fire it, period...

The magician watched in disbelief as the new street sam pulled out a pipe cleaner and shoved it deep into his ear. "Wha...what..what ARE you doing?" The sam pulled the now-blackened thing from his ear and looked at it. "Huh? Oh, this?" He smiled. "You have to clean your guns regularily if you don't want them to fail on you."

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 12:07 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.