> Dikoted Morningstars, The new katana?
Lilt
post Apr 9 2004, 03:53 PM
Post #1

Shooting Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 2,032

From the Cannon Companion, P11
Damage: (Str+2)M, (Str+3)M once Dikoted ((Str+3)S if your GM counts a spiked version as 'edged')
Reach: 2
Advantages: Can be used to entangle opponents as a whip (takes opponent complex action and strength test to get free)

Okay, they have a lower power, but that's offset somewhat by the extra reach and the fun that you can have by holding them stationary and smacking them with whatever's in your other hand.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
A Clockwork Lime
post Apr 9 2004, 04:00 PM
Post #2

Shooting Target

Member No.: 6,158

I personally prefer a dikoted Manriki-Gusari. Concealability 10, (STR+3)L Stun dikoted, Reach 2, and the ability to not only entangle, but do damage while you have them entangled. Sure, the Damage Level is Light, but I've always found Power to be more important anyway. So it's equal to the above in that department, you'll rarely be spotted carrying it, and you can both entangle (with a high Barrier rating to boot) while doing damage. The best part is that it's Stun damage, so you won't have to leave a pile of corpses in your wake.

+Quote Post
Lilt
post Apr 9 2004, 04:34 PM
Post #3

Shooting Target

The Manriki-Gusari is nice, but it's 2-handed. With the morningstar you can use it in one hand (with another non-lethal weapon in your other hand) or in both hands (gaining +1 power). The ability to damage and entangle simultaniously is nice though, I'm not sure about repeatedly damaging someone with it if you've already entangled them though. The concealability is a great advantage, but compared to the katana's concealability of 3, 4 ia already ahead.

Thankfully; they're both whips. You can use them with the same skill. :)

+Quote Post
gknoy
post Apr 9 2004, 07:29 PM
Post #4

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,835

I don't think that a diamond-coated ball of steel (even with spikey bits) would be that much more threatening than a normal ball of steel. Thus, while the technicalities of the rules would allow it (?), I would say that you can't dikote clubs, baseball bats, batons, hammers, maces, or morning stars. Well, you CAN, but you just won't get the increased damage code that you wanted. (In other words, this would be either a house rule, or my interpretation of canon rules. Much as I'd rule that an untrained average person CAN suicide while defaulting to quickness to shoot themself with a light pistol. :))

IIRC, the dikote increases a bladed weapon's damage code because it lowers the resistance for it to slice through things -- easier slicing means deeper wounds. A mace doesn't slice, it bashes -- sure it might have spikes, but those won't go any deeper just because they're diamond covered, since the big ball fo steel behind them limits their depth. Maces and other mass weapons were all about crushing underlying bones, anyways.

+Quote Post
Entropy Kid
post Apr 9 2004, 08:06 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,196

I don't think that a diamond-coated ball of steel (even with spikey bits) would be that much more threatening than a normal ball of steel.
I believe Dikoting something other than an edged weapon adds +1 Power.

+Quote Post
A Clockwork Lime
post Apr 9 2004, 08:14 PM
Post #6

Shooting Target

In my opionin, like the FirePower™ ammo of 1st Edition, Dikote is really just a rules addition to "fix" the Damage Codes of melee weapons to make them as dangerous as they should be and to give certain types of items a Barrier Rating. You shouldn't put too much thought into the exact reasons for it, just accept it for what it is.

+Quote Post
Shadow
post Apr 9 2004, 08:26 PM
Post #7

Why oh why didn't I take the blue pill.

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 2,006

Good 'ol FirePower ammo. My group thought that, and the reactive trigger, was the coolest thing.

As for dikoting, get dual cyber spurs and dikote them. Concealablity is moot when there housed in your forearms and if your strength is high enough you will be a ginsu machine.

+Quote Post
Lilt
post Apr 9 2004, 08:26 PM
Post #8

Shooting Target

Yes, the suggestion was that the spikes on a spikey ball could be made sharper thus deserving the +1 Damage Level. The spiked ball would also probably cause a nastier wound as sthe spikes could penetrate further or other spikes, spikes that would not normally penetrate due to resistane, could penetrate the skin and cut them up.

Anyhow: Yes, by canon they do not get the +1DL as they are not edged weapons, but they do get the +1 power.

+Quote Post
Smiley
post Apr 9 2004, 09:27 PM
Post #9

Running Target

Member No.: 6,191

I fully respect the Dikote and all the whips in general, but nothing can ever replace the good ol' Dikoted katana (or no-dachi). Old tricks are the best tricks, i always say.

+Quote Post
A Clockwork Lime
post Apr 9 2004, 09:31 PM
Post #10

Shooting Target

As previously mentioned, a pair of dikoted spurs will trump a dikoted katana any day of the week. [(STR+50%)+1]S Damage. And if both are used with an Off-Hand Weapons Skill or Ambidexterity 3, they both gain bonus dice.

+Quote Post
Rev
post Apr 9 2004, 10:02 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,034

Except that the katana has reach, which is key.

How bout dikoated traditional materials tomohawk :). (Str)S, +1 reach, 7 concealability, no metal!

Far as I could tell from the rules all the whips weapons have the power reduction that regular whips have... whatever it is... half damage against anything with armor maybe?

+Quote Post
A Clockwork Lime
post Apr 9 2004, 10:06 PM
Post #12

Shooting Target

Who cares about Reach with Close Combat? The katana weilder will get his ass handed to him by anyone with a Reach 2 weapon. At least with Close Combat and the spurs, you're leveling the playing field while getting a superior Damage Code to boot.

+Quote Post
Jason Farlander
post Apr 9 2004, 10:16 PM
Post #13

Running Target

Member No.: 4,323

Plus, you can coat those spurs with glow-in-the-dark paint and pretend you're a Protoss Zealot! The enemy's command cent.. I mean research facility doesnt stand a chance! Hit it into destruction!.

+Quote Post
Smiley
post Apr 9 2004, 10:30 PM
Post #14

Running Target

Member No.: 6,191

Where are the cyberspur rules? I can't seem to lay my hands on them right now.

+Quote Post
Rev
post Apr 10 2004, 12:03 AM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,034

If you use the maneuver rules maybe, I don't so I don't know.

If you don't the katana is still a lot better against the reach 2 weapon than the spurs, even if it still looses.

+Quote Post
Shadow
post Apr 10 2004, 12:11 AM
Post #16

Why oh why didn't I take the blue pill.

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 2,006

QUOTE (Smiley)
Where are the cyberspur rules? I can't seem to lay my hands on them right now.

You can find the rules for Spurs in the BBB. You get a bonus to power when using two spurs.

+Quote Post
CardboardArmor
post Apr 10 2004, 12:20 AM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,197

I'd dikote my gun for the hell of it and shoot you all from out of melee range.

+Quote Post
gknoy
post Apr 10 2004, 12:56 AM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,835

QUOTE (Jason Farlander)
Plus, you can coat those spurs with glow-in-the-dark paint and pretend you're a Protoss Zealot!

OMG
That is so cool, hehe! Bonus if you're an adept or psionicist or something crazy like that ;-)

Yeah i can see it now ... adept of the magician's way (lol) with dikoted glowing spurs ... that are also weapon foci. Granted he'd have no points left over for skills or attributes, but that's why the GM has to make him :)

And ...

[quote=CardboardArmor]I'd dikote my gun for the hell of it and shoot you all from out of melee range.p/quote]

:notworthy:

+Quote Post
RangerJoe
post Apr 10 2004, 03:47 AM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,897

Entaro adun, Mr. Johnson....

+Quote Post
Mimick
post Apr 10 2004, 09:23 AM
Post #20

Target

Member No.: 1,677

Why not just go one step further and make the cyberspurs weapon foci, with the character being an adept.

Of course the costs in time, effort, and cold hard cash are extremely prohibitive, assuming you could even make the blades from your spurs into foci...that and dikoting would conceivably give you double the dice to roll (assumedly if you're going to all that effort you'll invest in high force) and the bonuses for dikoting. :cyber:

But yes, this is a ridiculous idea so don't take it seriously. (please? I can't bear the thought of the ensuing min/max discussion)

+Quote Post
Tziluthi
post Apr 10 2004, 11:29 AM
Post #21

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,112

Just a thought, but if you were going to turn retractable cyberspurs into a weapon focus, would you not have to magicify the actual cyberware itself, the stuff they implant into your brain. How much is orachalcum circitry, I wonder?

+Quote Post
Lilt
post Apr 10 2004, 12:03 PM
Post #22

Shooting Target

Well, none of it thankfully. It's all optical quantum computing, otherwise EMPs would fry sammies in a fraction of a second.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Apr 10 2004, 12:46 PM
Post #23

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

Should I advertise the THE WALLHACKER!!!1112?

What's the armor rating on a Leopard III again? (I haven't got SOTA.)

+Quote Post
Lilt
post Apr 10 2004, 01:25 PM
Post #24

Shooting Target

40 :eek:

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Apr 10 2004, 01:46 PM
Post #25

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

Damn. There's no way in hell you can pump up the Power on those dual Dikoted handblades up to 82. I guess I got to stick to Light Armored Vehicles. :(

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 25th April 2024 - 06:45 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.