> The Shadow Economy, An Interesting Article
JanessaVR
post Feb 23 2012, 06:43 PM
Post #1

Awakened Master Ninja

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 10,844

Greetings, Dumpshockers.

I recall some threads on the shadow economy here recently, and just came across this, rather by chance as a link from a news story. It seemed rather appropriate to some of the discussions here, so I thought I'd pass it along.

The article is: Hiding in the Shadows - The Growth of the Underground Economy

Janessa
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Daylen
post Feb 24 2012, 02:15 AM
Post #2

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 17,952

Its what happens with excessive taxation and regulation. When the options are starve or hide economic activity most choose to hide activity. Kind of a big thing in SR obviously.

+Quote Post
JanessaVR
post Feb 24 2012, 03:47 AM
Post #3

Awakened Master Ninja

Member No.: 10,844

QUOTE (Daylen @ Feb 23 2012, 06:15 PM) *
Its what happens with excessive taxation and regulation. When the options are starve or hide economic activity most choose to hide activity. Kind of a big thing in SR obviously.

That's something along the lines of what I was thinking, as far as the SR world goes. With a high level of social control and omnipresent (and arguably hostile) surveillance, you're just asking for extensive underground markets.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Feb 24 2012, 04:43 AM
Post #4

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 14,465

Cigarette Boats got their name due to the fact that that's what they did, smuggle cigarettes to get around high tariffs.

NASCAR traces it's origin back to Rumrunners outracing the G-Men and other official officers.

A good part of my Advanced Science Class in High School was able to operate the water distillery because of a family history with Moonshining.

+Quote Post
pbangarth
post Feb 24 2012, 05:54 AM
Post #5

Old Man of the North

Member No.: 5,463

QUOTE (Daylen @ Feb 23 2012, 09:15 PM) *

The article to which the OP links us argues that these two by themselves are not enough to swell the underground economy.
Shadow economies tend to be smaller in countries where government institutions are strong and efficient. Indeed, some studies have found that it is not higher taxes per se that increase the size of the shadow economy, but ineffectual and discretionary application of the tax system and regulations by governments.

A heavily regulated economy combined with weak and discretionary administration of the law provides especially fertile ground for shadow activities. These are also the conditions under which corruption flourishes.

Few studies empirically investigate the relationship between corruption and the shadow economy, but those that do so observe that countries with more corruption have relatively larger shadow economies. Corruption is essentially the abuse of public power for private benefit.
The suggestion here is that it is an arbitrary and corrupt application of taxes and regulations that encourage shadow economy.

+Quote Post
Manunancy
post Feb 24 2012, 06:31 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,940

QUOTE (pbangarth @ Feb 24 2012, 06:54 AM) *
The article to which the OP links us argues that these two by themselves are not enough to swell the underground economy.
The suggestion here is that it is an arbitrary and corrupt application of taxes and regulations that encourage shadow economy.

My undestanding is that both high taxes/regulations and arbitrary applications generate shadow economy - but it's the combination of the two that generates the worst examples (which is hardly a surprise).

+Quote Post
snowRaven
post Feb 24 2012, 08:54 AM
Post #7

Shooting Target

Member No.: 4,516

QUOTE (CanRay @ Feb 24 2012, 05:43 AM) *
A good part of my Advanced Science Class in High School was able to operate the water distillery because of a family history with Moonshining.

Canadians... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif)

+Quote Post
bibliophile20
post Feb 24 2012, 03:15 PM
Post #8

Running Target

Member No.: 10,737

Handy article; I'm gonna look it over more in depth and update my Shadowrun Seattle Underworld Economy spreadsheet. Thanks!

Hmm... so the Barrens should apparently have a shadow economy making up between 35% and 44% of the total economy. *thoughtful* Interesting; I put it at about 60%. And I was mostly focusing on outright black activities...

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Feb 24 2012, 06:18 PM
Post #9

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (snowRaven @ Feb 24 2012, 04:54 AM) *
'Shiner country. There's places like that in the US as well.

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon8685
post Feb 24 2012, 06:33 PM
Post #10

Horror

Member No.: 7,445

QUOTE (bibliophile20 @ Feb 24 2012, 10:15 AM) *
Handy article; I'm gonna look it over more in depth and update my Shadowrun Seattle Underworld Economy spreadsheet. Thanks!

Hmm... so the Barrens should apparently have a shadow economy making up between 35% and 44% of the total economy. *thoughtful* Interesting; I put it at about 60%. And I was mostly focusing on outright black activities...

Does the article account for the complete and near complete breakdown of social order in the barrens? I don't imagine that Stuffer Shacks are all that common in Redmond or Puyallup.

+Quote Post
snowRaven
post Feb 24 2012, 07:22 PM
Post #11

Shooting Target

QUOTE (CanRay @ Feb 24 2012, 07:18 PM) *
'Shiner country. There's places like that in the US as well.

I've been to the US. There ain't any place in the US like Canada...

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Feb 24 2012, 10:42 PM
Post #12

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (snowRaven @ Feb 24 2012, 03:22 PM) *
Toronto tries. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

+Quote Post
Froggie
post Feb 24 2012, 11:10 PM
Post #13

Target

Member No.: 16,668

QUOTE (CanRay @ Feb 24 2012, 05:42 PM) *

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/twirl.gif)

I personally think that there are stuffershacks and the like in Redmond or Puyallup but only on the 'edges' like Tarislar, Puyallup city or touristville.

In the Z zone areas.. further out, maybe? They'd have to be heavily modified and automated. Maybe bunker like vending machines? Oh well, another topic for a different thread.

+Quote Post
pbangarth
post Feb 25 2012, 05:59 AM
Post #14

Old Man of the North

QUOTE (snowRaven @ Feb 24 2012, 02:22 PM) *

QUOTE (CanRay @ Feb 24 2012, 05:42 PM) *

Bah. New York tries to be like Toronto.

+Quote Post
Manunancy
post Feb 25 2012, 06:05 AM
Post #15

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,940

QUOTE (Froggie @ Feb 25 2012, 12:10 AM) *
In the Z zone areas.. further out, maybe? They'd have to be heavily modified and automated. Maybe bunker like vending machines? Oh well, another topic for a different thread.

For a Z-zone gang, a bunkered vending machine is likely to be viewed as a combined challenge, hold of lootable content and source of spare parts rolled in one conveniently immobile and unattended package. When some gangs can have antitank weaponry amongst their stockpiles, that's a losing proposition.

It would probably be far more cost-effective to sell in bulk to a gang and let them and their flunkies handle the retail side of the chain - if they get wiped out, you reconduct the deal with the wipers at no extra cost. That's a business model that works just fine for drugs, it can work for more mundane stuff, even if the profit margin is lower.

+Quote Post
maine75man
post Feb 25 2012, 06:07 AM
Post #16

Target

Member No.: 17,288

QUOTE (pbangarth @ Feb 24 2012, 12:54 AM) *

That makes sense. An arbitrary or corrupt system leaves more opportunities to try to get around taxation. A well run and sensible system would generally be perceived as the cost of doing business, unpleasant but also unavoidable. Of course what is sensible to one person is often arbitrary to another.

What I found interesting is that they consider barter to be shadow economics. In rural Maine that's always been a healthy chunk of the local economy. Maybe that's one reason our local economy isn't that healthy. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
pbangarth
post Feb 25 2012, 06:10 AM
Post #17

Old Man of the North

QUOTE (maine75man @ Feb 25 2012, 01:07 AM) *
What I found interesting is that they consider barter to be shadow economics. In rural Maine that's always been a healthy chunk of the local economy. Maybe that's one reason our local economy isn't that healthy. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I remember once in the early days of his law practice, my brother got paid in chickens.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Feb 25 2012, 06:19 AM
Post #18

Immortal Elf

The only issue is, in Shadowrun, if you stiff someone in barter, they'll pay you back in bullets.

Very, very quickly. At very high velocities.

+Quote Post
snowRaven
post Feb 25 2012, 09:50 AM
Post #19

Shooting Target

QUOTE (pbangarth @ Feb 25 2012, 06:59 AM) *
Bah. New York tries to be like Toronto.

I doubt any lawyers in New York get paid in chickens...

+Quote Post
maine75man
post Feb 25 2012, 07:37 PM
Post #20

Target

QUOTE (snowRaven @ Feb 25 2012, 04:50 AM) *
I doubt any lawyers in New York get paid in chickens...

Haven't you heard chickens are the new cool pet here in America. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) People are fighting for the right to keep chickens in cities. Not in the slums but the posh neighborhoods to.

+Quote Post
Daylen
post Feb 25 2012, 10:28 PM
Post #21

Running Target

QUOTE (pbangarth @ Feb 24 2012, 05:54 AM) *

Countries with strong and "efficient" governments only have such because of a healthy private sector. Their conclusions are based on bass ackwards thinking. Plus they admit many times in there, for good reason, that data on shadow economies is not exactly a complete set. By fairly simple logic its easy to discern that data from countries with strong "efficient" governments will be hard to come by as people engaging in such an economy MUST hide it very well. If you buy their argument I'd bet your not from an area with lots of moonshine.

+Quote Post
toturi
post Feb 26 2012, 12:32 AM
Post #22

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

QUOTE (Daylen @ Feb 26 2012, 06:28 AM) *
Countries with strong and "efficient" governments only have such because of a healthy private sector. Their conclusions are based on bass ackwards thinking. Plus they admit many times in there, for good reason, that data on shadow economies is not exactly a complete set. By fairly simple logic its easy to discern that data from countries with strong "efficient" governments will be hard to come by as people engaging in such an economy MUST hide it very well. If you buy their argument I'd bet your not from an area with lots of moonshine.

There is very little moonshine where I come from.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Feb 26 2012, 12:48 AM
Post #23

Immortal Elf

There's more to "Black Economies" than Moonshine. It's the traditional one in Canada and the US, however, and is usually given as an example.

Then again, homebrewed spirits has been around as long as mankind.

+Quote Post
maine75man
post Feb 26 2012, 12:55 AM
Post #24

Target

QUOTE (Daylen @ Feb 25 2012, 05:28 PM) *
Countries with strong and "efficient" governments only have such because of a healthy private sector. Their conclusions are based on bass ackwards thinking.

I always thought a healthy private sector couldn't develope under a corrupt arbitrary government. You know the whole personal security and predictable legal system encouraging investment and entrepreneurship. Did Econ 101 get it bass ackwards? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Daylen
post Feb 26 2012, 01:05 AM
Post #25

Running Target

QUOTE (maine75man @ Feb 26 2012, 12:55 AM) *
I always thought a healthy private sector couldn't develope under a corrupt arbitrary government. You know the whole personal security and predictable legal system encouraging investment and entrepreneurship. Did Econ 101 get it bass ackwards? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I think you misunderstood me. I'm not saying a corrupt government is good for the private sector, just that a powerful government is not what causes the economy to be good; if it was North Korea and the former USSR would have the best economies.

+Quote Post

3 Pages V   1 2 3 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 01:58 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.