Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Codeslinger (Control Device)
Gargs454
post Feb 24 2012, 03:09 PM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 9,490

I'm working on a rigger and I see a lot of talk about this quality. My question is, what types of checks exactly would this quality apply to? As I understand it, it would not work when I am "jumped in" (though I get a +2 anyway if I am reading it correctly). Would it then apply to any other tasks I control remotely so long as I am not "jumped in"? The issue is that in order to take this quality, I am basically out of build points (not surprising) and so would likely need to drop Electronics group down a level -- which I suppose is a secondary question.

Just trying to figure out whether or not this would be worth it. The way I intend to play my rigger is that he prefers to be more hands on and actually "drive" rather than jump in, etc. Certainly with the assorted drones that are not his main ride anyway. He is also a bit of a coward and doesn't like risking his neck to dumpshock and the like, so as often as not, he won't actually be jumped in. Am I overly gimping myself by dropping Electronics group down a notch? Should it be low anyway?

Also for clarification, he is much more concerned with straight up rigging as opposed to hacking. He has some skill (obviously) in electronic warfare and a little in hacking (to gain access) but he is not designed for, nor all that interested in, actually engaging in cybercombat (see the coward part above). His goal is to be able to "drive anything" and "fix anything" and any hacking like assistance he provides is gravy (at least for the short term).

As always, I appreciate any and all help!

Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
BishopMcQ
post Feb 24 2012, 03:38 PM
Post #2

The back-up plan

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,910

It is for a specific Matrix Action, so anytime you would use the Control Device (Command) action from SR4A p. 229, it would count. From the Rigger Drone tests on p. 247 I'd apply it to any of the tests that use Command on the Remote-Control table. So not Sensors, or when it's flying on it's own.

Electronics 3 instead of 4 isn't a problem. 2 would be a little low for my tastes.

+Quote Post
Seriously Mike
post Feb 24 2012, 06:40 PM
Post #3

Moving Target

Member No.: 36,268

Heeell, I knew I forgot something when building my ex's character. Codeslinger: Control Device is a pretty nifty quality for an AR drone rigger.

+Quote Post
KarmaInferno
post Feb 24 2012, 08:51 PM
Post #4

Old Man Jones

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 1,699

QUOTE (Seriously Mike @ Feb 24 2012, 01:40 PM) *
Heeell, I knew I forgot something when building my ex's character. Codeslinger: Control Device is a pretty nifty quality for an AR drone rigger.

Most of the "min-maxed" AR rigger builds I've seen have this.

Also, Optimization (Command).

-k

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Feb 24 2012, 09:05 PM
Post #5

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

Yeah, it's so cheesy. I really don't like the super-generic 'Command everything' mechanic the game uses. :/ At least it has *one* drawback (action costs), but that's not enough.

+Quote Post
Seriously Mike
post Feb 24 2012, 09:47 PM
Post #6

Moving Target

Am I getting this right that I need only one Simple Action to issue "BARF BULLETS ALL TURN LONG" command and the only drawback is that I can't issue any other command to the drone that round? Because that's my main issue with drone rigging.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Feb 24 2012, 10:09 PM
Post #7

Advocatus Diaboli

Yes. That's not a Command, that's a command; the drone uses its own abilities to acquire and attack targets (or suppress, I guess). It's not really related to the issue of Command-rigging ('Remote Control').

+Quote Post
Aerospider
post Feb 24 2012, 10:50 PM
Post #8

Running Target

Member No.: 17,968

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Feb 24 2012, 09:05 PM) *
Yeah, it's so cheesy. I really don't like the super-generic 'Command everything' mechanic the game uses. :/ At least it has *one* drawback (action costs), but that's not enough.

Is it so different from Agility being the go-to attribute for doing stuff?

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Feb 24 2012, 11:25 PM
Post #9

Advocatus Diaboli

It is. It's more like there was one skill called 'Combat and Everything Else'. Oh, there is: Command. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Aerospider
post Feb 25 2012, 02:45 AM
Post #10

Running Target

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Feb 24 2012, 11:25 PM) *
It is. It's more like there was one skill called 'Combat and Everything Else'. Oh, there is: Command. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Except that Command is added to a skill. Gunnery, Melee, Dodge, Infiltration and all the Pilot variations.

That said, I do agree with you given that it even substitutes for mental attributes, such as in the use of Shadowing, the Biotechs and the Mechanics, which is where I'm tempted to draw the line.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Feb 25 2012, 03:11 AM
Post #11

Advocatus Diaboli

Makes sense.

+Quote Post
Seriously Mike
post Feb 25 2012, 11:21 AM
Post #12

Moving Target

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Feb 24 2012, 11:09 PM) *
Yes. That's not a Command, that's a command; the drone uses its own abilities to acquire and attack targets (or suppress, I guess). It's not really related to the issue of Command-rigging ('Remote Control').
What the HELL. So where do I look for remote control? The Command program has almost no info on how to use it in SR4 corebook, all references point only to "commands".

+Quote Post
UmaroVI
post Feb 25 2012, 11:35 AM
Post #13

Shooting Target

Member No.: 18,778

You send commands with Spoof Command (for fake commands, ie, ones to devices you don't control) or with Issue Command, but you send Commands with Control Device. See the list of matrix actions starting on p228 SR4A.

See also SR4A 245. When you give commands, that's under "Issuing Commands," and when you use Command, that's Remote Control (and thus uses Control Device). Jumping In is a different thing entirely.

So to recap, you control devices by issuing commands with Spoof Command and Issue Command, and you Control Device by using Command with Remote Control.

+Quote Post
Aerospider
post Feb 25 2012, 11:37 AM
Post #14

Running Target

QUOTE (Seriously Mike @ Feb 25 2012, 11:21 AM) *
What the HELL. So where do I look for remote control? The Command program has almost no info on how to use it in SR4 corebook, all references point only to "commands".

Refer to the Common Drone/Rigger Tests table - SR4a p.247 and in the back of UW.

For the distinction Yam was referencing, see the Matrix actions Issue Command (simple) and Control Device (complex) on p.229 of SR4a. If you want the drone to shoot someone you use the first option and it'll happen on the drone's action phase. If you want to shoot someone yourself using the drone you use the second option, but note that it is still a complex action even if firing just a single shot.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Feb 25 2012, 02:54 PM
Post #15

Advocatus Diaboli

I yam what I yam. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Which is… glad to have helped?

+Quote Post
Seriously Mike
post Feb 25 2012, 03:01 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

All right. Now I get it. Having the old SR4 book instead of the Anniversary one indeed makes things harder. To recap: ducking behind cover, whipping out a commlink and carefully guiding the drone's weapon systems yourself - Control Device, Complex Action, Command + Gunnery. Tagging an enemy so the drone shoots him when it's its turn - Issue Command, Simple Action, Pilot + Targeting.

+Quote Post
Aerospider
post Feb 25 2012, 03:01 PM
Post #17

Running Target

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Feb 25 2012, 02:54 PM) *
I yam what I yam. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Which is… glad to have helped?

Apologies, meant to write 'Yeram', if that's cool ...?

+Quote Post
Aerospider
post Feb 25 2012, 03:03 PM
Post #18

Running Target

QUOTE (Seriously Mike @ Feb 25 2012, 03:01 PM) *
All right. Now I get it. Having the old SR4 book instead of the Anniversary one indeed makes things harder. To recap: ducking behind cover, whipping out a commlink and carefully guiding the drone's weapon systems yourself - Control Device, Complex Action, Command + Gunnery. Tagging an enemy so the drone shoots him when it's its turn - Issue Command, Simple Action, Pilot + Targeting.

Yup, that's it.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Feb 25 2012, 03:07 PM
Post #19

Advocatus Diaboli

You don't *even* want to get thinking about Sensor tests for drone perception and targeting, though. :/

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th April 2024 - 10:48 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.