IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Banned/Restricted Gear, Mainly Enhanced Artwinkulation + ME
Do you allow / disallow / penalize the following?
You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Total Votes: 116
Guests cannot vote 
Everial
post Aug 24 2003, 01:08 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 5,209

I realize there are other bio/cyber pieces that seem unfairly stacked, but these were just two that I ... well, I suppose I have a beef with them both. (and abuse them both =\ )

Anyways, suggestions for balancing them?
(I forget to whom I must attribute it, but I remember a GM ruling that ME voids all magic ability, eg.)

[Edit] wow... I messed up, I forgot to add a 'Penalize Both' option, sorry.

This post has been edited by Everial: Aug 24 2003, 01:09 AM
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Aug 24 2003, 01:13 AM
Post #2

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

I don't see how there's a problem with either of these. It's not like Firepower ammo y'know. Or personalized gun grips.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Aug 24 2003, 01:18 AM
Post #3

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

Or Chipjack Expert Drivers! :D

+Quote Post
Everial
post Aug 24 2003, 01:26 AM
Post #4

Target

I just think the reduced Karma cost is unreasonable...

take the (now-stereotypical?) mage with ME 3... you get a datajack and spend 9 karma for Computers 4 (Deckins 8) and you just became a competetive decker, too... After initiating twice, get an Alpha VCR (I think you can manage lvl 2) and start rigging, too...

and... isn't there a reason EA has become 'Enhanced Artwinculation'?
it's essentially the equivalent of the Adept Improved Ability (I think that's the one that gives extra dice) on most skills... (I'm sure one could generate a hypothetical example in which a Jack-of-all-Trades type character might recieve enough bonuses to almost match the 6 starting power points adepts are granted.)

[Edit] Changed entry so specialization didn't show up as a smiley.

+Quote Post
Ancient History
post Aug 24 2003, 01:29 AM
Post #5

Great Dragon

Member No.: 2,935

Consider: character types who need to spend all their time and money stuffing impalnts into their bodies need to be competitive with otaku and magicians who want to blow all their ahrd earned karma and money and time on foci and skillz and spells and shite.

Plus, pieces of equipment like this are more likely to entice magicians to burnout, or single-direction chracters to step out from specialization and become more diverse, well-rounded characters.

+Quote Post
Daishi
post Aug 24 2003, 02:10 AM
Post #6

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,522

Enhanced Articulation I like, to be honest. It's not all that crazy, but it is a very useful piece of ware for someone looking to cover a range of bases.

The Mnemonic Enhancer... well that one I'm not so sure about. The reduced karma cost is pretty sweet. Oddly enough, our group once made the ME more powerful by using it to reduce the time to learn skills. I realized things had gone too far when my character became fluent in a new language in about 4 hours... I'm a fan of the extra die for language and knowledge skills, as well as the memory boosts. I think that the ME is great for just that as it stands. Although perhaps at a reduced rate...

+Quote Post
TinkerGnome
post Aug 24 2003, 02:45 AM
Post #7

Dragon

Member No.: 4,706

I've not used EA too often, though I don't think it's too far unbalanced. As far as the mnemonic enhancer goes, I don't think it should be eliminated. Everyone in the game world who can afford one would have one, of course, thus making it a balance issue between mundanes and magicly active characters. If it really bugs you, though, there are a couple of fixes that I would accept as a player.

1) The reduced karma cost only works for intelligence linked skills. This covers knowledge and linguistic skills, but also active skills like Biotech, B/R skills, and Computer. These are all skills where the application of enhanced memory are obvious and makes more sense than non-intelligence linked skills like, let's say, Athletics. I might go so far as to extend the benefit to Charisma and Willpower based skills, since both Etiquette and Sorcery seem like they could benefit from increased retention of knowledge.

2) In a game that uses training times, let it reduce the time it takes to learn new skills by a factor of 1+level. So at level 3, your learning times are down to 1/4. As a player of a character who dumps all of his karma into skills, it would let me keep up with the mages who can blow 20 karma in the course of a couple of weeks. I've found my mundane character constantly sitting on karma while he tries to train for skills.

+Quote Post
Laughlyn
post Aug 24 2003, 04:54 AM
Post #8

Target

Member No.: 548

I just have to ask, am I the only one who uses bioware stress levels? Or the only one who doesn't allow you to repair all of the stress (cannot repair light stress)? If you use those, bioware becomes something that is either really expensive or really something to keep in mind with most of the things the character does in every day life as well as running the shadows.

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Aug 24 2003, 06:32 AM
Post #9

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

The problem that I have with the mnemonic enhancer is that, to me, Karma represents how well a character has performed, and giving a character a Karma discount because of a piece of bioware breaks the entire concept of good Karma to me. I let it reduce training times, instead, which actually makes more sense.

Enhanced articulation isn't game-breaking. It gives cybered characters a bit of a break, and like the smartlink, it is distinctive to cybered characters. It is far from broken, though. Even the chipjack expert driver isn't that bad - the character can roll 12 dice for some useful skills, but gives up other possible cybernetic augmentations in order to do so.

+Quote Post
Sphynx
post Aug 24 2003, 06:34 AM
Post #10

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 3,437

Well, I've always considered the ME to be out of control until I played a Sammie type character (see, I do/have played something other than a Quickening Shaman). Whereas a Mage type has consistent growth, the ability to become massively more powerful in short periods of time, the Sammie type doesn't. He slowly works on maxxing out attributes as every weak attribute he has is taken advantage of by the GM, then starts working on skills and such incredibly expensive rates that he goes games and games before he gets a +1 to a skill/attribute.

On the flip side, allowing a ME into the game allows Mages as well as Sammie types to become godlike, in quick order, in whatever field they desire.

End result for me was to allow Mnemonic Enhancers, but create some personal flavor to the description along the lines of: Due to the nature of this Bioware, it interacts with a part of the brain that is vital for Magic use. No current solution has been found within the science community, but anyone who has this Bioware installed loses all Magic ability in the process.

Now, Sammies and Mages alike seem to advance at about the same speed in regards to power, due to sammies being able to afford exceed attributes for skill purchases.

Sphynx

+Quote Post
Sphynx
post Aug 24 2003, 07:49 AM
Post #11

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 3,437

Uhm... what's the difference between number 2 and number 4? I think everybody is voting the same thing... and there's no option for disallowing both. :P

Looks like most of us agree that ME is out of whack, but EA is just fine.

Sphynx

+Quote Post
toturi
post Aug 24 2003, 08:52 AM
Post #12

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

I think it (ME) is quite alright, if and only if you are playing and applying everything... wound effects, stress points, etc. The damned thing is connected to your brain, for God's sake. A knock out punch/DMSO-gamma sco mix can give you Flashback(-4 Flaw)!
:eek:

+Quote Post
The White Dwarf
post Aug 24 2003, 11:19 AM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,754

Assuming you follow the faq, and dont allow ME at starting, its well balanced. Enchanced articulation isnt really unbalanced at all, given the way it works with magic, and the pretty decent bio index on it. The whole "xyz is unbalanced" thing seems to happen a lot when people dont use all the stuff surrounding something, as the above said with the stress and wound effect rules having bioware isnt all fun and games. The same could be said of smartlink-2 or a datajack, just for the huge statistical change in shooting success, or the unbeleivable huge array of in character actions allowed by a datajack.

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Aug 24 2003, 01:11 PM
Post #14

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

QUOTE (TinkerGnome)
1) The reduced karma cost only works for intelligence linked skills. This covers knowledge and linguistic skills, but also active skills like Biotech, B/R skills, and Computer. These are all skills where the application of enhanced memory are obvious and makes more sense than non-intelligence linked skills like, let's say, Athletics. I might go so far as to extend the benefit to Charisma and Willpower based skills, since both Etiquette and Sorcery seem like they could benefit from increased retention of knowledge.

This hasn't come up in my games yet, because I told my players that I will limit the usefulness of the Mnemonic Enhancer somehow, I just didn't know how back then. I think I'm going to settle for it only reducing the karma cost of Knowledge skills, not Active skills. Otherwise, it will works like it says in M&M.

I don't use many of the rules regarding bio and cyber (e.g. I allow Light stress to be repaired, I allow cultured bio and gear with Avail over 8 to be purchased in chargen, if it can be justified, etc), so I can see how ME might become unbalancing.

I don't think Artwinkulation is that bad. It is a great piece of ware, no doubt, and most of my players' cybered chars tend to take it, but they also take Smart-2 and Cybereyes, and like others have mentioned, ware like that is generally not considered game-breaking.

However, I can see how ME would have the effects it has by canon, considering its description. For the life of me, I cannot fathom how being better lubricated would have the kind of effects EA seems to have... But that's not really an issue with SR cyber&bio.

+Quote Post
Andvare
post Aug 24 2003, 01:29 PM
Post #15

Target

Member No.: 4,543

I always disallow dikoted AVS-cyberarms :P .
I will allow everything else, though i usually raise the cost for both.

+Quote Post
Icepick
post Aug 24 2003, 05:52 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 2,122

Well, here's one of the golden rules of shadowrun.

If the "good guys" get it, then the "bad guys" do too.

+Quote Post
Fortune
post Aug 24 2003, 07:39 PM
Post #17

Immoral Elf

Member No.: 2,486

QUOTE (Icepick @ Aug 24 2003, 01:52 PM)
Well, here's one of the golden rules of shadowrun.

If the "good guys" get it, then the "bad guys" do too.

That's pretty much a given fact, but kind of a moot point in regards to the ME. The 'bad guys' can have skills of any level anyway, without a GM's need to explain it though Bio/Cyberware.

I was also wondering what the difference was between Choices 2 and 4. :)

+Quote Post
Solidcobra
post Aug 24 2003, 08:08 PM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,252

as said earlier: it is good to make the ME nuke mages (no magic with ME) and allow the poor sammies to do something..... a sammy can't be good at combat without the GM bringing in a LOT of stuff he can't handle (Social situations and magic), a mage on the other hand, even MORE powerful in every aspect and steadily growing, is very much okay to play with most GMs.....

the reason: Being good at combat makes people angry at you

no, honestly...... how many GMs do you know that would NOT implement magic and social situations if someone plays a combat monster?

and how many GMs would make everyone target the spellcaster until he is dead or in any other way burn him?

you see my point? good....

+Quote Post
Cray74
post Aug 24 2003, 10:11 PM
Post #19

Running Target

Member No.: 2,860

I'm cool with both items of equipment. +1 die to all active skills...that's nice, but hardly an earthshaking effect.

Mnemonic enhancer is POWERFUL, but it let's me finally raise skills at a rapid rate. I always have so many other uses for karma that skill improvement suffers unreasonably.

So, no gripes here, nor any suggestions for nerfing them.

+Quote Post
Buzzed
post Aug 24 2003, 10:22 PM
Post #20

Moving Target

Member No.: 4,782

Is voting for I and III voting for the same thing?

Is voting for II and IV voting for the same thing also?

Where is the vote to penalize both?

+Quote Post
Austere Emancipa...
post Aug 24 2003, 10:23 PM
Post #21

Great Dragon

Member No.: 5,222

QUOTE (Solidcobra)
how many GMs do you know that would NOT implement magic and social situations if someone plays a combat monster?

How many GMs do you know that do not implement magic and social situations, completely regardless of what the PCs are like?

how many GMs would make everyone target the spellcaster until he is dead or in any other way burn him?

I'm guessing quite a few, considering how widespread the saying "Geek the mage first" is.

+Quote Post
Johnny the Bull
post Aug 25 2003, 02:47 AM
Post #22

Moving Target

Member No.: 318

Why disallow the ME and EA? It's not like its going to save them in the end. The world sucks, the PC's will die young and the world will go on :)

+Quote Post
Everial
post Aug 25 2003, 02:51 AM
Post #23

Target

I already acknowledged that I messed up the poll choices.

+Quote Post
ToThePain
post Aug 25 2003, 05:01 AM
Post #24

Target

Member No.: 5,514

How about banning the Ares Viper Slivergun...

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Aug 25 2003, 05:26 AM
Post #25

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

How about banning the Ares Viper Slivergun...

Yeah... a gun that that goes ping! ping! off your armor is really unbalancing. :S

I mean, seriously, it's a good stealth pistol, but you're hardly going to be slaughtering NPCs left and right with it.

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 19th April 2024 - 01:52 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.