IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Another Rainy Night now released--new fiction with accompanying rules, stats, And Patrick Goodman wrote it. You've seen him around, right?
JM Hardy
post Feb 25 2012, 11:31 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,392

Our latest enhanced fiction product, Another Rainy Night (Battleshop, DriveThruRPG), is now out, with an original story by Patrick Goodman and rules and stats to support the material. Here's the dirt:

BLOOD RUNS RED

Every day in the Sixth World people die in a thousand different ways. Every day blood is spilled. Every place that rain falls, it washes away some of the red that stains the streets.

Eliminating every killer in the Sixth World is as impossible as drying up every raindrop in a storm, but Thomas McAllister doesn’t want to get rid of all of them. Just one. He’s been on this killer’s trail for a while, and he knows he’s getting closer. The only question is if he’ll be able to handle getting as close as he’s about to be, or if his blood will join the stream that regularly flows into the gutters of the sprawls.

Another Rainy Night is part of Shadowrun’s enhanced fiction line. It contains an original short story, along with game information to use elements of the story in your game, including stats for the major characters and new gear introduced in the story. Gamemasters and players can do more than become immersed in the fiction—they can make it a part of their gaming world.

Another Rainy Night is for use with Shadowrun, Twentieth Anniversary Edition.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Patrick Goodman
post Feb 26 2012, 01:36 AM
Post #2

Tilting at Windmills

Member No.: 388

Looking forward to talking about it, too, when reviews start coming in.

EDIT: I would have just edited the opening post, but I didn't make it, so I can't. Another Rainy Night is now available for the Kindle and the Nook.

+Quote Post
snowRaven
post Feb 26 2012, 01:39 AM
Post #3

Shooting Target

Member No.: 4,516

As I said in that other thread, the game info looks good:

New ammo, new aerosol weapon, and new 'special' weapon for dealing with certain creatures...

Looks good, though I'll get back to it once I've read it =)

I'm kind of missing a section with ideas on how to use the characters in our own campaigns (like a plot hook or whatever), but once I've read the story that may change. We'll see.

+Quote Post
Patrick Goodman
post Feb 26 2012, 01:43 AM
Post #4

Tilting at Windmills

Well, I think you'll get a good idea on how to use the characters once you read the story. If the lack of a "Plot Hooks" section turns out to be a problem...well, it's my fault. I was looking more at making the NPCs useful than in finding a way to turn the story into an adventure, so I really didn't even think about writing a "Plot Hooks" section. So if that's a problem, then mea culpa.

I think the story itself will stand up just fine without it.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Feb 26 2012, 01:48 AM
Post #5

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

They're hiding gear in the fiction? :o

+Quote Post
Patrick Goodman
post Feb 26 2012, 02:01 AM
Post #6

Tilting at Windmills

Part of the mandate for the "Enhanced Fiction" line was, well, enhancements, game info and stats relevent to the story in question. I'm not sure, given that, that "hiding" is the right word. Any time you see "Enhanced Fiction" (and if I have my way, there's going to be more), there's going to be some crunch at the back. Usually, with my stuff, it's going to be NPCs, but if there's relevent gear from the story that isn't statted elsewhere, then I'll toss that in, too. In the case of Another Rainy Night, there's four NPCs, some specialty ammo, and the Ford Americar (making its SR4 debut).

So, I guess the short answer is, "Yes, we're hiding gear in the fiction," though I don't think it's quite as simple as that.

+Quote Post
TwoDee
post Feb 26 2012, 02:46 AM
Post #7

Target

Member No.: 50,638

QUOTE (Patrick Goodman @ Feb 25 2012, 06:01 PM) *
In the case of Another Rainy Night, there's four NPCs, some specialty ammo, and the Ford Americar (making its SR4 debut).

Ooh! I've been wanting to find some stats for an Americar in SR4. One of my players has playing a legacy character imported from SR3 and was disappointed that he couldn't keep his Americar.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Feb 26 2012, 02:47 AM
Post #8

Immortal Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 14,465

QUOTE (Patrick Goodman @ Feb 25 2012, 10:01 PM) *
So, I guess the short answer is, "Yes, we're hiding gear in the fiction," though I don't think it's quite as simple as that.
Gear, NPCs, Magic, Technomancer stuff, Mentors, Adventures, Bubba The Love Troll... All the good stuff with some fiction added on from what I understand.

+Quote Post
snowRaven
post Feb 26 2012, 11:05 AM
Post #9

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Patrick Goodman @ Feb 26 2012, 02:43 AM) *
Well, I think you'll get a good idea on how to use the characters once you read the story. If the lack of a "Plot Hooks" section turns out to be a problem...well, it's my fault. I was looking more at making the NPCs useful than in finding a way to turn the story into an adventure, so I really didn't even think about writing a "Plot Hooks" section. So if that's a problem, then mea culpa.

I think the story itself will stand up just fine without it.

I read the story this morning, and I must say I like it. I like it a lot.

As I expected, the story does provide ideas for using the characters - and even ideas for an adventure for my campaign (using one of the other 'incidents'). I guess a case can be made both for having a short 'GM suggestion' and not having it. As it stands, the book is wholly approperiate for players and GMs alike, which is always nice. Me expecting something directly useful for a run is probably the 'fault' of 99 Bottles, anyway.

The fiction, npcs and extra gear make it well worth the purchase, I think. If Another Rainy Night is indicative of future Enhanced Fiction, I'll be quite happy!

+Quote Post
Patrick Goodman
post Feb 26 2012, 02:38 PM
Post #10

Tilting at Windmills

QUOTE (snowRaven @ Feb 26 2012, 05:05 AM) *
The fiction, npcs and extra gear make it well worth the purchase, I think. If Another Rainy Night is indicative of future Enhanced Fiction, I'll be quite happy!

I'm glad you enjoyed it. There are more stories planned in this series, if the overall reaction is good. I've also got another piece that I'm working on now that's mostly completely unrelated to ARN. I have a certain standard I set for myself, so I think that (at least for my work) this should be somewhat indicative.

Again, thanks for reading it. I'm glad you liked.

+Quote Post
Larsine
post Feb 26 2012, 04:50 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

Member No.: 5,604

QUOTE (TwoDee @ Feb 26 2012, 03:46 AM) *
Ooh! I've been wanting to find some stats for an Americar in SR4. One of my players has playing a legacy character imported from SR3 and was disappointed that he couldn't keep his Americar.

Sure he could keep it, it's not like Lone StarKnight Errant it going to hunt you down for not using official vehicles. I've have loads of characters having made up equipment... Everything else is made up by somebody in any case.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Feb 26 2012, 08:52 PM
Post #12

Immortal Elf

Exactly! Anyhow, isn't a Mercury Comet just a more luxury edition of a Ford AmeriCar anyhow?

And CGL does not have rabid attack rules lawyers roaming the wastelands of RPGdom looking for people using non-canon stuff. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

+Quote Post
snowRaven
post Feb 26 2012, 08:55 PM
Post #13

Shooting Target

QUOTE (CanRay @ Feb 26 2012, 09:52 PM) *
Exactly! Anyhow, isn't a Mercury Comet just a more luxury edition of a Ford AmeriCar anyhow?

And CGL does not have rabid attack rules lawyers roaming the wastelands of RPGdom looking for people using non-canon stuff. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

Not officially, anyway...

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Feb 26 2012, 08:58 PM
Post #14

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (snowRaven @ Feb 26 2012, 04:55 PM) *
Not officially, anyway...
Well, of course, this is Shadowrun. Deniability is key! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Patrick Goodman
post Feb 26 2012, 09:03 PM
Post #15

Tilting at Windmills

QUOTE (CanRay @ Feb 26 2012, 02:52 PM) *

I know the answer to this one, but it would be impolitic of me to say.

We don't? Then who did I just pay off...?

+Quote Post
Method
post Feb 26 2012, 09:38 PM
Post #16

Street Doc

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,114

Patrick, you're my hero.

The Mercury Comet is all well and good, but there is something about the Ford Americar that is just classic SR.

I was already planning in buying this one, but now it's a done deal.

+Quote Post
Patrick Goodman
post Feb 26 2012, 09:43 PM
Post #17

Tilting at Windmills

Just wish I'd been able to get you some art for the thing, but alas, it was not to be. Maybe next time.

Let us know what you think of the story once you've read it.

+Quote Post
JanessaVR
post Feb 27 2012, 05:22 AM
Post #18

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,844

Hiya, Patrick.

I have - naturally - purchased this, but I'm afraid I have no intention of reading it just yet. You see, I unfortunately have to take an overnight trip to Detroit (of all places) this Friday, coming back Saturday, and I think this will make excellent reading for the plane trips. So, if I come back alive (not a given - I mean, yikes, Detroit), then I'll be happy to give you a review this Sunday.

Thanks for writing it, though - good timing for my trip. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
bibliophile20
post Feb 27 2012, 07:14 AM
Post #19

Running Target

Member No.: 10,737

QUOTE (JanessaVR @ Feb 27 2012, 12:22 AM) *
Hiya, Patrick.

I have - naturally - purchased this, but I'm afraid I have no intention of reading it just yet. You see, I unfortunately have to take an overnight trip to Detroit (of all places) this Friday, coming back Saturday, and I think this will make excellent reading for the plane trips. So, if I come back alive (not a given - I mean, yikes, Detroit), then I'll be happy to give you a review this Sunday.

Thanks for writing it, though - good timing for my trip. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Remember, make friends with the tail gunner on your convoy. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Feb 27 2012, 04:44 PM
Post #20

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (bibliophile20 @ Feb 27 2012, 03:14 AM) *
Remember, make friends with the tail gunner on your convoy. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)
Trunk Monkeys are your friends! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Method
post Feb 28 2012, 03:23 AM
Post #21

Street Doc

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,114

Trunk Monkey?

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Feb 28 2012, 03:32 AM
Post #22

Immortal Elf

The Trunk Monkey.

When The War On Terror was in it's early days, rear gunners called themselves "Trunk Monkeys" after these commercials.

EDIT: Supposedly. I wasn't over there to confirm.

+Quote Post
Patrick Goodman
post Feb 28 2012, 06:37 PM
Post #23

Tilting at Windmills

And now, for some shameless self-promotion: A 4-star review of the story at DriveThru. I was told that I should share the money quote, which I will considering how well it deals with certain issues of self-doubt I felt about the story going into this process: "The story is well-written, actually better than some of the older SR novels published by FASA...."

I am enormously gratified by this.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Feb 28 2012, 07:15 PM
Post #24

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (Patrick Goodman @ Feb 28 2012, 11:37 AM) *
And now, for some shameless self-promotion: A 4-star review of the story at DriveThru. I was told that I should share the money quote, which I will considering how well it deals with certain issues of self-doubt I felt about the story going into this process: "The story is well-written, actually better than some of the older SR novels published by FASA...."

I am enormously gratified by this.

Congratulations Patrick. Looking forward to getting this one when I have the opportunity to do so.

+Quote Post
almost normal
post Feb 28 2012, 10:24 PM
Post #25

Running Target

Group: Banned
Member No.: 18,961

As much as I love SR art, it seems in this case that it bumped the price up to levels I don't feel comfortable paying. I'd rather have just the story.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 26th October 2014 - 06:01 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.