IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

5 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Another Rainy Night now released--new fiction with accompanying rules, stats, And Patrick Goodman wrote it. You've seen him around, right?
CanRay
post Mar 9 2012, 06:05 PM
Post #76

Immortal Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 14,465

"How'd you kill that Japanese Vampire? Have another bamboo dagger blessed by a Shinto Priest?" "Wood chipper." - Supernatural
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
snowRaven
post Mar 9 2012, 08:04 PM
Post #77

Shooting Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,516

QUOTE (Shortstraw @ Mar 9 2012, 04:02 PM) *
Real infected should be almost impossible to kill and since killing them with fire is traditional you would need something that makes large amounts of fire.
Well, by RAW all you need is a Stunbolt... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif)

QUOTE (Patrick Goodman @ Mar 9 2012, 04:20 PM) *
Some Infected are immune to fire. Head shots are good, though, especially if the Infected in question is looking the other way....
Even better if they are tied down and immovable! (and not capable of Mist Form, of course...)

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Mar 9 2012, 08:13 PM
Post #78

Immortal Elf

Fire may not kill them, but it'll give them a REALLY bad day!

EDIT: Monofilament Chainsaw and Bodily Dismemberment, only way to be sure.

+Quote Post
Shortstraw
post Mar 10 2012, 12:15 AM
Post #79

Moving Target

Member No.: 29,391

Immunity to fire just means they get some armor all that means is you need more fire.

+Quote Post
Method
post Mar 10 2012, 04:17 AM
Post #80

Street Doc

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,114

QUOTE (Shortstraw @ Mar 9 2012, 06:15 PM) *
Immunity to fire just means they get some armor all that means is you need more fire.
Ha! That should be a sig!

+Quote Post
Shortstraw
post Mar 10 2012, 10:28 AM
Post #81

Moving Target

It would be poor form to quote myself.

+Quote Post
JanessaVR
post Mar 15 2012, 08:56 PM
Post #82

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,844

Ok, it’s a bit late, but life has been more than bit traumatic lately. As promised, Patrick, my review:

It may interest you to know that, like the story’s protagonist, I too was on plane to Denver when I read it and wondering whether I was dressed warmly enough for the trip. Also like the protagonist, I really didn’t want to take the trip, but I had to. However, I was just changing planes to go to Detroit, he was hunting vampires (be vewy, vewy quiet), so it could have been worse.

Your modern Van Helsing seems to have his share of experience and creativity (both good things for vampire hunting), and you had the good sense to make him a magician as well; I honestly don’t know why anyone plays anything else in Shadowrun, well, ok, someone has to play the technomancer so you have matrix support as well. At any rate, hunting the Infected is no occupation for mundanes, so that was good. That said, I seriously wonder why he has no sense of smell – this is easily correctable by 2073, and is almost certainly covered by his health plan, as he’s a (presumably) tenured university professor.

In general, it was short, but I liked it. As you mentioned to me late last year, I did indeed enjoy this story and its portrayal of vampires. It was satisfying seeing the Infected portrayed as the sadistic monsters they truly are – evil, twisted cannibals who enjoy killing and torturing people just because they can and they enjoy it. Truly a welcome antidote to the touchy-feely “the Infected are cute, cuddly teddy bears and our caring friends!” garbage that infests SR4 at present. The only thing I would have changed is to call in more backup before confronting a vampire in her lair. At night. With only a mundane for backup. When she knows you’re coming. And it’s a trap.

I look forward to future installments, though I’ll echo previous reviewers and say that it certainly should be a bit longer next time. Keep up the good work – go monster hunters, go.

+Quote Post
Patrick Goodman
post Mar 15 2012, 11:07 PM
Post #83

Tilting at Windmills

Member No.: 388

Sometime this afternoon, Another Rainy Night went "Silver" over on DriveThruRPG. Thanks to everyone who's gone out and bought it...and if you haven't, what the heck's keeping you?

+Quote Post
snowRaven
post Mar 15 2012, 11:18 PM
Post #84

Shooting Target

Congratulations (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I didn't buy it on that site though, I always use the battlestore (IMG:style_emoticons/default/frown.gif)

+Quote Post
Patrick Goodman
post Mar 15 2012, 11:33 PM
Post #85

Tilting at Windmills

Wherever you bought it, you're helping it pay for itself. It's just easier for me as a writer to see that little badge at DriveThru. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Patrick Goodman
post Mar 16 2012, 01:26 AM
Post #86

Tilting at Windmills

I'm glad you enjoyed yourself with the story.

QUOTE (JanessaVR @ Mar 15 2012, 03:56 PM) *
Your modern Van Helsing seems to have his share of experience and creativity (both good things for vampire hunting), and you had the good sense to make him a magician as well; I honestly don’t know why anyone plays anything else in Shadowrun, well, ok, someone has to play the technomancer so you have matrix support as well.

Abraham Van Helsing was a vampire hunter; he spent his time trying to kill them. Thomas...not so much. Yes, he was in Denver hunting one down, but it's not his life's pursuit; curing them is. He's after Teresa because she made it personal. He felt like he was responsible...and there's at least 23 murders on this particular spree that he feels responsible for, as well. God only knows how many she killed before.

So, Thomas and Van Helsing do have some things in common, but he's really not Van Helsing's modern-day successor. Martin de Vries is...sort of. We'll leave out the man's utter hypocrisy for the time being...he's one of the most pre-eminent hunters out there. He will probably not be in After Midnight (I need to come up with a better title once more of it's written), though the Guild probably will be.

I know Lydia's going to have a lot of reading to do.
At any rate, hunting the Infected is no occupation for mundanes, so that was good.

I'm not entirely certain I agree with this statement, but that's neither here nor there at the moment.
That said, I seriously wonder why he has no sense of smell – this is easily correctable by 2073, and is almost certainly covered by his health plan, as he’s a (presumably) tenured university professor.

It wasn't affordable when he was a kid growing up, when the accident happened, and by the time it was affordable, he had Awakened. Even relatively minor surgery has a risk of jacking with one's Talent, and he's personally just fine without it. He's been without it for...damn, something like 35 years. He's long since adapted.
In general, it was short, but I liked it. As you mentioned to me late last year, I did indeed enjoy this story and its portrayal of vampires. It was satisfying seeing the Infected portrayed as the sadistic monsters they truly are – evil, twisted cannibals who enjoy killing and torturing people just because they can and they enjoy it. Truly a welcome antidote to the touchy-feely “the Infected are cute, cuddly teddy bears and our caring friends!” garbage that infests SR4 at present.

Not all of them are sadistic. I'll grant you that, in most senses of the word, they're all monsters, but they're not all sadists. Teresa was, certainly, and Mr. Big may or may not be; he's certainly ruthless. Ms. Deacon, while not a vamp, is pretty ruthless. Most of my characters are far from sweetness and light, I think, but they're not all cast in blacks and whites. Even the monsters are gray. Sometimes a nice, deep charcoal gray, to be sure, but gray nonetheless.

Nothing's as simple as it appears, and I'm hoping my writing gets that across.
The only thing I would have changed is to call in more backup before confronting a vampire in her lair. At night. With only a mundane for backup. When she knows you’re coming. And it’s a trap.

He knew her weakness. And sometimes, you just gotta play the cards you're dealt. Lydia did go on record as to the fact that it was stupid.

And Lydia may be just a mundane, but it's not nearly the death sentence you portray it to be. Mundanes outnumber the Awakened by a substantial margin (among the human population, something like 99 to 1).

+Quote Post
JanessaVR
post Mar 16 2012, 01:58 AM
Post #87

Moving Target

Member No.: 10,844

QUOTE (Patrick Goodman @ Mar 15 2012, 06:26 PM) *
And Lydia may be just a mundane, but it's not nearly the death sentence you portray it to be. Mundanes outnumber the Awakened by a substantial margin (among the human population, something like 99 to 1).

Well, it's true the Awakened have get to their meatshields somewhere. Was it Ars Magica where warriors were a stat for magic-users? Heh. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Shortstraw
post Mar 16 2012, 11:14 AM
Post #88

Moving Target

I would like to see Metagenic Improvement: Posse

+Quote Post
Paul
post Mar 23 2012, 06:09 PM
Post #89

Shooting Target

Member No.: 1,514

I'll be snagging my copies finally this weekend. As soon as I find my wallet and update my DTR account. Damned habit of not carrying anything on my person except my CCW, and a pen. (And a cuff key of course....)

+Quote Post
Patrick Goodman
post Mar 24 2012, 08:28 PM
Post #90

Tilting at Windmills

They don't require you to carry some ID along with the CCW?

+Quote Post
Critias
post Mar 24 2012, 08:30 PM
Post #91

Freelance Elf

Member No.: 6,714

You'd think the CCW license, at least, would be a good idea. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

But then, I only know about Kentucky and Texas. For all I know, Michigan hasn't got 'em.

+Quote Post
Paul
post Mar 25 2012, 01:48 AM
Post #92

Shooting Target

Heh, yeah I always carry my departmental ID.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Mar 27 2012, 11:38 PM
Post #93

Immortal Elf

I thought your belt buckle worked as ID in the US? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

+Quote Post
Paul
post Mar 27 2012, 11:45 PM
Post #94

Shooting Target

Apparently today I had kick me written on me somewhere. And bite me. And spit on me in attempt to spread your contagious disease. And punch me....Needless to say things didn't work out for at least one party involved. There was an increased level of the possibility of someone, somewhere having their feelings hurt.

+Quote Post
snowRaven
post Mar 28 2012, 12:00 AM
Post #95

Shooting Target

QUOTE (CanRay @ Mar 28 2012, 01:38 AM) *
I thought your belt buckle worked as ID in the US? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

That's only in Texas.

+Quote Post
Patrick Goodman
post Mar 28 2012, 03:31 PM
Post #96

Tilting at Windmills

QUOTE (snowRaven @ Mar 27 2012, 07:00 PM) *
QUOTE (CanRay @ Mar 27 2012, 06:38 PM) *

That's only in Texas.

Actually, it's also valid in Oklahoma, New Mexico, Wyoming, and parts of Arizona and Louisiana, if memory serves.

They got the idea from us, though.

+Quote Post
Method
post Mar 29 2012, 12:30 AM
Post #97

Street Doc

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,114

I don't know about belt buckles but the CCW in Wyoming is a valid photo ID, and is essentially the same as the driver's license except for different wording and a watermark of a pistol. In fact, if you renew them at the same time, the state uses the same photo on both. People who don't know better seldom notice the difference.

I once needed duplicate photo ID for a federal background check related to work, but all I had was my DL and CCW. I handed these to a clerical dude and he ask "Why do you have 2 driver's licenses?"

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Mar 29 2012, 08:10 AM
Post #98

Immortal Elf

So, Patrick, when do we meet this "Bella" chick all the vapid tweens are talking about?

+Quote Post
Patrick Goodman
post Mar 29 2012, 01:11 PM
Post #99

Tilting at Windmills

As soon as I find a sufficiently satisfying way to mow her down.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Mar 30 2012, 01:41 PM
Post #100

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (Patrick Goodman @ Mar 29 2012, 08:11 AM) *
As soon as I find a sufficiently satisfying way to mow her down.
Can't be done. You can only do it once, after all.

Cyberpunk: Encouraging ultraviolent positive female role models who look sexy since Pris.

+Quote Post

5 Pages V  « < 2 3 4 5 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 21st December 2014 - 06:19 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.