IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > »   
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> How can I fight spirits with spirits?, My players are having a little too much fun with spirits.
ShadowDragon8685
post Feb 27 2012, 10:23 AM
Post #1

Horror

Group: Members
Member No.: 7,445

So, my players are wizkids and they're having a lot of fun with spirits. Especially the possession-tradition guy, who likes to have his spirits possess things like gangers and ganger's cars and occasionally his DrivingAdept friend.

Which is fair game, really, but they're not the only one who can play at it, so I figure the gang has decided to get in bed with a wiz-gang given a blurb in Seattle 2072, the Spectres.

Why the Spectres are going along with this, I haven't decided. Probably itching to get their hands on a lot of free plant-based telesma from the Jungles when and if they help the gang put the screws to them. Possibly also they have a family connection.

I also figure that the Spectres aren't going to want to risk their own astral hides, but calling up and sending a swarm of spirits to disrupt the player's bound and called spirits in Astral space is kosher - and of course, take some zaps at anyone who's projecting. Maybe they have someone with a Possession tradition who could even kidnap the body of one of the resident mages and then hold him for ransom.

Either way, I'm going to need to give my players a kick in the ass because they can't seem to actually do the job they were hired to do - arm and train the Jungle's denizens, and instead they keep fragging with the gang, having stolen three of their vehicles (one of which was admittedly stolen by the gang from the Johnson,) and captured a lot of their men - and Palming an armed flash-bang onto the trousers back pocket of the gang's leader. (He was wearing an Actioneer suit, so he probably didn't get hurt badly, luckily for him.)

Still, what kinds of tactics can a wiz-kid gang use to frag with a bunch of guys who have a bunch of spirits at a set location without exposing their personal selves or personal astral forms to harm?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Chinane
post Feb 27 2012, 10:54 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 49,431

Sounds like your jungle defense scenario deteriorated a bit? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon8685
post Feb 27 2012, 11:25 AM
Post #3

Horror

Yeah, little bit. I wanted them to focus on the physical, but they're escalating with astral shit that they can do (and the Jungle's denizens can't/won't do) too much. So instead of arming and raising a militia, they're trying to do things themselves. I reckon that means it needs to make things worse.

+Quote Post
Irion
post Feb 27 2012, 11:31 AM
Post #4

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 18,860

@ShadowDragon8685
Be careful. Astral gives you much more bang for the buck. I do not know how many magicians you have in your group, but one possession mage can make up for a company in the long run.

+Quote Post
Brainpiercing7.6...
post Feb 27 2012, 12:30 PM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 19,052

QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Feb 27 2012, 12:25 PM) *
Yeah, little bit. I wanted them to focus on the physical, but they're escalating with astral shit that they can do (and the Jungle's denizens can't/won't do) too much. So instead of arming and raising a militia, they're trying to do things themselves. I reckon that means it needs to make things worse.

Why do you have to change things? Really, if they are the most effective force, let them be. The key is making them understand that they can't be everywhere at the same time. Start playing the opposition more proactively. They have a lot of territory to defend, use that against them.

Now as to the spirits:

I tend to think the PCs should have their cake, generally: They are the toughest kids on most blocks, they get to use the high-force spirits, unless they meet some BBEG, who will one-up them. One thing to be aware of is that bound spirits cost a lot of money, so they shouldn't be used in suicide missions. Summoned spirits on the other hand are limited in number.

What I would do is use spirits to sneakily attack deep within the protected area: In astral space, spirits can move past guards and walls, and attack unprotected civvies. A sneaky mage with optical binoculars can give a spirit precise information where to materialize and cause some mayhem. Spririts can also destroy crops, destroy tools, etc. That means they must now tie up some bound spirits for guard duty. Enemy F4 spirits are perfectly powerful enough for this. With maybe a fire aura they can even set fire to things.

The other option is using summoned high-force spirits to directly engage the runners in melee, especially the posession guy, since his ItNW will be useless. A minimum of F6 will probably be required, here. Use something with an elemental aura for added bang. Just take care to materialize somewhere the runners can't directly see the spirit: Materializing is a complex action which leaves the spirit vulnerable until his next action. Spirits have good init, but still should not be left out in the open like that.

The second thing is, when you have a theoretically larger force of mages, you can actually ambush or assault only with a few stunbolts from a distance. A magic 4 mage can easily use F8 stunbolts to knock out individuals, or even patrolling spirits, and then send in their own spirits. They should sneak close to the encampment with mundane means, unleash a few stunbolts, drop a materializing spirit right on top of the now unconscious people, and then pull out quickly before being detected.

+Quote Post
Udoshi
post Feb 27 2012, 01:06 PM
Post #6

Runner

Member No.: 17,566

Don't forget the ability to Astral Shortcut in street magic - spirits that have been somewhere can basically teleport back there.

This means that the defending spirits should have a massive tactical advantage when setting up ambushes.
Also remember that spirits have a lot of edge, and will spend it to not die. its = force.

You should probably throw an awakened Free spirit or maybe an Ally spirit in there to make things interesting.

One of my favorite tricks is to send a single spirit along with a group of mundanes, to provide counterspelling support. I find its a nice middle ground between letting mages stop all over everything, and always giving the opposition magicians too.

Throwing some other critters in there might be nice, too.

+Quote Post
Chinane
post Feb 27 2012, 01:19 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

You should also consider if the area is remote enough for large scale summoning of spirits to be completely ignored by authorities/interested parties with more resources than simple gangs..

+Quote Post
Chinane
post Feb 27 2012, 01:21 PM
Post #8

Moving Target

QUOTE (Udoshi @ Feb 27 2012, 02:06 PM) *
One of my favorite tricks is to send a single spirit along with a group of mundanes, to provide counterspelling support. I find its a nice middle ground between letting mages stop all over everything, and always giving the opposition magicians too.

Allied free spirit? Otherwise every counterspelling attempt would eat up a service unless you'd keep up counterspelling for one target only. 'Protect the group from magic attacks' is a bit too vague for a single service.

+Quote Post
thorya
post Feb 27 2012, 01:35 PM
Post #9

Moving Target

Member No.: 39,030

The Wid-Kid gang might be hesitant to use it, but FAB III can be a pretty good deterrent. They'll have to keep sending their spirits back to their metaplanes to clean them up. It will also latch onto the groups foci and drain them, which means that they will have them deactivated when you ambush them later. That's if they realize what's going on. They might not. Release it near your target and strike a few hours later. Unless they have the sterilize or cure disease spells, which I don't see many runner mages having taken.

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon8685
post Feb 27 2012, 02:16 PM
Post #10

Horror

QUOTE (Brainpiercing7.62mm @ Feb 27 2012, 07:30 AM) *
Why do you have to change things? Really, if they are the most effective force, let them be. The key is making them understand that they can't be everywhere at the same time. Start playing the opposition more proactively. They have a lot of territory to defend, use that against them.

They were hired to raise a militia that would make the Jungles too much of a target for meatspace gangs to bother making serious attacks on, not to beat up gangers with enough overwhelming magical force to make the opposition start to look for magical assistance. Unless they're going to take up permanent residence in the Jungles (which I doubt,) they're not going to be there forever. The farmers wanted them to help them arm themselves, not to wipe out a gang.

So really, they're not even fulfilling the terms of their job at this point, and there's only so far that a good argument about proactivity will take them, unless they plan to wipe out every single gang and organized criminal element in Redmond to ensure the Jungles' safety. They're fixating on the one gang without addressing the larger issue, and since they want to keep escalating things, I'll escalate with them.

+Quote Post
Chinane
post Feb 27 2012, 02:25 PM
Post #11

Moving Target

QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Feb 27 2012, 03:16 PM) *
So really, they're not even fulfilling the terms of their job at this point, and there's only so far that a good argument about proactivity will take them, unless they plan to wipe out every single gang and organized criminal element in Redmond to ensure the Jungles' safety. They're fixating on the one gang without addressing the larger issue, and since they want to keep escalating things, I'll escalate with them.

Since they are not just not fulfilling the contract but also harming the situation, how about simply making the jungle guys evict them?

+Quote Post
Neraph
post Feb 27 2012, 02:36 PM
Post #12

Great Dragon

Member No.: 16,387

Calling rules, I'm telling you.

Spirit Dog
[ Spoiler ]

This is literally just a basic free inhabitation spirit. Add in all the Powers from a Beast Spirit and have some fun, or put in a Fire Spirit to do collateral damage. At 1.5k (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nuyen.gif) they're relatively cheap also.

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon8685
post Feb 27 2012, 03:19 PM
Post #13

Horror

QUOTE (Chinane @ Feb 27 2012, 09:25 AM) *
Since they are not just not fulfilling the contract but also harming the situation, how about simply making the jungle guys evict them?

In fairness to them, they are doing some good - after this one, they've completely deprived the gang of automotive mobility and their tech, which means the gang will have to spend a few days 'jacking rides and finding a new tech.

They've also tipped their hand, though, and angered the gang, going heavy with the spirits, convincing the gang that they need to make wizkid allies to fight back. So it's a mixed bag.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Feb 27 2012, 03:25 PM
Post #14

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

It sounds like the players are playing a different (and totally better) mission than you're trying to give them. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) You can either punish them for that, or just roll with it. Which do you think will be more fun?

I don't see why fending them off with crappy guns would provoke a different outcome from wrecking them with magic.

+Quote Post
Bearclaw
post Feb 27 2012, 04:28 PM
Post #15

Shooting Target

Member No.: 1,304

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Feb 27 2012, 08:25 AM) *
It sounds like the players are playing a different (and totally better) mission than you're trying to give them. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) You can either punish them for that, or just roll with it. Which do you think will be more fun?

I don't see why fending them off with crappy guns would provoke a different outcome from wrecking them with magic.

Becuase, unless they hunt down every single person in the area with any criminal tendancies and kill them, things will be no better after the characters leave. Kicking the local criminals asses doesn't cut down crime. More guys just show up to fill the void. Having a militia will make them a bad target, causing the criminals to look somewhere else.

I agree with the idea of the gangs hiring some mojo. Let a couple of fire spirits loose to burn shacks and crops, then a big angry meeting with the Johnson about how they have made things worse. Like a jungle version of a Burn Notice episode.

+Quote Post
Brainpiercing7.6...
post Feb 27 2012, 04:31 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

Member No.: 19,052

QUOTE (ShadowDragon8685 @ Feb 27 2012, 03:16 PM) *
They were hired to raise a militia that would make the Jungles too much of a target for meatspace gangs to bother making serious attacks on, not to beat up gangers with enough overwhelming magical force to make the opposition start to look for magical assistance. Unless they're going to take up permanent residence in the Jungles (which I doubt,) they're not going to be there forever. The farmers wanted them to help them arm themselves, not to wipe out a gang.

OK, I hadn't realized that, I thought they were just supposed to help with the gang problem. Ultimately, the villagers have to call them out on their obligation, or the money stops flowing, simple as that. You don't have to escalate to do that, at least not in a way that the game world doesn't require. Escalation could also drive them to even more personal action, because they might believe the villagers couldn't possibly survive.

As long as they are aquiring more weapons for the villagers, going against the gangs should be fine, but if they simply take out gangers for the fuck of it, then the villagers should protest.

Maybe point out to them that they are weakenign their bargaining position: A truce is always best arranged, which means that if they want to persuade the gangs to give up harassing the villagers once the runners have left, it should be clear that it's not just the runners posing a threat. Also, if it becomes a matter of pride for the gangs to wipe out these threats, then the situation is even further aggravated. You are right that they should very quickly proceed with training the villagers and then start negotiating. I'm just not sure about the method to achieve this.

+Quote Post
Irion
post Feb 27 2012, 04:33 PM
Post #17

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 18,860

@Bearclaw
The Point is, they they can again only counter it with mojo. To be more precise spirits guarding the shacks or Wards around the shacks. Meaning you will only push them deeper into solving it with magic.

Sometimes you should think about what your response looks like out of a player perspective.
And the gangs bringing the magical heat makes it very stupid to step away from magic... (Which will be the only counter)

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Feb 27 2012, 04:36 PM
Post #18

Advocatus Diaboli

Bearclaw, I meant guns-vs.-spirits, not defense-vs.-assassination. The latter was covered at length in the last thread. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

It seems like using spirits to beat up the gangs (and obviously take their vehicles and weapons!) is a perfect solution. Vastly better than handmaking bows and arrows, or setting up a whole weapon facility. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post
Iduno
post Feb 27 2012, 05:07 PM
Post #19

Moving Target

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 10,812

I'd agree that it would probably be best to have the customer push them towards a longer-term solution. Possibly after the gang starts to escalate.

The players will have to get back to their own lives at some point, and trying to defend this place at a moment's notice all of the time will make that impossible.

+Quote Post
Neraph
post Feb 27 2012, 06:56 PM
Post #20

Great Dragon

Member No.: 16,387

Or someone needs to call Stan Lee...

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon8685
post Feb 27 2012, 07:06 PM
Post #21

Horror

QUOTE (Iduno @ Feb 27 2012, 12:07 PM) *
I'd agree that it would probably be best to have the customer push them towards a longer-term solution. Possibly after the gang starts to escalate.

I was actually thinking of having the gang find some mortars and shell the jungles in retaliation for the runner's attacks - the gang is huddled up in a Colt firearms manufacturing facility (toxic castle) that went dark in the chaos of '66 with a shipment ready but not sent out, which is how the gang are getting their guns.

Thing is, if I do that, they Possession guy will probably just murder each and every one of the gangers by calling up spirits to possess gang members and kill their friends or something.

But then, maybe that's what's gonna happen anyway. Maybe I oughta just give them a reason to do it so they can just loot the factory, hand the guns out to the Jungles' denizens and find someone who can Instruct the local militia in skills (and instruct them in how to not line up shoulder-to-shoulder and get shot down like chumps.)

*sigh* I really should have pushed them towards a lower-magic, higher-emphasized technology vision of Shadowrun. I just can't really cope with all the advanced magic skills the players I have are throwing around. All of my run ideas are meat or matrix, too. I just don't really 'get' the magic in Shadowrun that well.

The players will have to get back to their own lives at some point, and trying to defend this place at a moment's notice all of the time will make that impossible.

Yeah. I was actually going to make this kind of a long-term thing, though with less emphasis on the trouble: like, they'd basically have an arrangement wherein they do security consultation, check up on defenses every week or two and whatnot, and in return the Jungle's denizens give them food.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Feb 27 2012, 08:19 PM
Post #22

Advocatus Diaboli

Yeah, allowing magicrun was the first mistake, but you can't do anything about that now. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) I agree: have the farmers beg them to quit it. As I said, though, killing gangers and stealing their guns seems like a great transition. It solves the problem, in a realistic way, and it doesn't involve the GM saying 'you guys are playing wrong'.

+Quote Post
thorya
post Feb 27 2012, 08:24 PM
Post #23

Moving Target

Member No.: 39,030

Or you could just pull a "What's this? Haven Lily's are in bloom in the plastic jungle this week? Wow, I guess that means there's background count everywhere for you guys and you probably shouldn't go around tearing up the environment to get rid of them, the farmers don't like that sort of thing."

Of course, your players will hate you.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Feb 27 2012, 08:40 PM
Post #24

Advocatus Diaboli

Hehe. Would it even matter? They're not fighting there, they're attacking the gangs.

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon8685
post Feb 27 2012, 09:51 PM
Post #25

Horror

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Feb 27 2012, 03:19 PM) *
Yeah, allowing magicrun was the first mistake, but you can't do anything about that now. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) I agree: have the farmers beg them to quit it. As I said, though, killing gangers and stealing their guns seems like a great transition. It solves the problem, in a realistic way, and it doesn't involve the GM saying 'you guys are playing wrong'.

It may solve the problem in the short-term, but just annihilating the gang (or otherwise doing a lot of magic to scare them) is probably going to draw an extra response.

Anyway, are there any tricks a magician can use to frag over spirits at range, any kind of spirit which is especially good at doing in other spirits? I mean, without going Bug or Toxic or Blood or something like that?

+Quote Post

4 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 10:43 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.