Reply to this topicStart new topic
> PS Vita AR
iamZebulun
post Mar 2 2012, 04:44 AM
Post #1

Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,239

So, I found out that the new Playstation Vita has a handful of games that are using Augmented Reality. When I saw this, the first thing that came to mind was Shadowrun.

It's not too intricate, but a nice little advancement in gaming technology. Basically a set of cards you set on a table, and through the game's camera you transform that space into your game's setting. The videos I have seen so far show little tanks maneuvering around coffee mugs, a miniature racetrack, and a tiny soccer field.

I guess when I am trying to explain AR to a player who doesn't know the concept, I'll just pull up the demonstration videos.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Mar 2 2012, 05:59 AM
Post #2

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

It's sort of not what (SR4) AR is, though; sort of the opposite. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) It's more like gaming augmented by reality, while AR is usually understood to be reality augmented by additional information (Terminator-vision, Google Goggles, and so on).

That's not to say it's not good/interesting/etc., or that it's 'not AR', but it might not be the best example for explaining SR4 AR.

Halfway interesting: http://kotaku.com/augmented-reality/

+Quote Post
Boomer1985
post Mar 2 2012, 06:00 AM
Post #3

Target

Member No.: 17,621

Well if you think about it xbox's kinect is a form of ar as well just not as indepth yet

+Quote Post
iamZebulun
post Mar 2 2012, 06:05 AM
Post #4

Target

You've got a point. Still, the reason I think of Shadowrun from this is the fact that you still have that real background, whether it happens to be the streets of Seattle or your coffee table. Plus, there's a few sections in the books that describe things like AR pets, video games played in reality, and even using a combination of simsense and reality to make the weather whatever you want it to be.

+Quote Post
iamZebulun
post Mar 2 2012, 06:07 AM
Post #5

Target

QUOTE (Boomer1985 @ Mar 2 2012, 12:00 AM) *
Well if you think about it xbox's kinect is a form of ar as well just not as indepth yet

This example says AR to me more than the Kinect, because you're able to change your angle around the surface and view it differently. It takes real world positioning of those cards to generate what you are seeing.

+Quote Post
Boomer1985
post Mar 2 2012, 06:13 AM
Post #6

Target

Member No.: 17,621

Yeah
but the tech is still relatively new

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Mar 2 2012, 02:42 PM
Post #7

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

Yeah, iamZebulun, all those SR4 examples are something being added to your 'ambient' reality: AR pets seem to really exist as you go about your day, AR games make real life *look* like a game, etc. Reality (+game/info), not Game (+reality). I agree that it's a fine line that disappears as the tech gets better. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) But I just think there are better examples if you specific goal is to say, 'this is what SR4 AR is like'.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 06:40 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.