IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Soy Allergies, Homegrown Farming and PC Ideas, Need a little help here with a player request
bibliophile20
post Mar 3 2012, 07:00 PM
Post #1

Running Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 10,737

So, one of the PCs in my current game, Ironworks, has a Moderate Soy Allergy, Digestive Expansion and Homegrown Farming on his primary lifestyle (I ruled that for stocking his safehouse, the cost and difficulty of finding non-soy foods with long shelf lives was going to cancel out the discount from his Digestive Expansion). So, the player has a request for me that I'd like some help with:

He wants a chicken or three, for the eggs.

So, I thought about it, and I've come up with the following:

Chicken, Availability 4, Cost (Untrained) 200 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nuyen.gif) , Necessities Minimum: Middle, Monthly Cost: 75 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nuyen.gif)

However, a fertile rooster will probably have an Availability of 6-8, an untrained cost of at least 400 (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nuyen.gif) , but the same Neccesities and Monthly Cost; an unfertile rooster will cost the same as a regular chicken, I think, or perhaps less or more.

So, thoughts, points, complications I can throw at the PC, ideas, ideas that let me go like this (IMG:style_emoticons/default/vegm.gif) , suggestions, corrections...?

Thanks in advance.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
NiL_FisK_Urd
post Mar 3 2012, 07:21 PM
Post #2

Moving Target

Member No.: 43,494

Well, i think the price is too high - a pig costs 250nY and 150nY per month [Running Wild, p.34]. Also, chicken do not need that much space, i think you could house 2-3 of them in 4mē.

+Quote Post
maine75man
post Mar 3 2012, 07:32 PM
Post #3

Target

Member No.: 17,288

To me live chickens are just one way to explain the Homegrown Farming feature. He could keep them at his safe house but that sounds more complicated then necessary. They don't exactly have a shelf life and someone or something has to take care of them. Also live chickens might attract more attention then a safe house wants.
(Edit) Chickens don't just produce sounds, but also waste and oder. Particularly when kept in a tight space.

If he has digestive expansion he could just live off the chicken feed himself instead.

+Quote Post
snowRaven
post Mar 3 2012, 07:47 PM
Post #4

Shooting Target

Member No.: 4,516

QUOTE (maine75man @ Mar 3 2012, 08:32 PM) *
If he has digestive expansion he could just live off the chicken feed himself instead.

You don't think they put soy in chicken feed? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif)

+Quote Post
AStarshipforAnts
post Mar 4 2012, 04:10 AM
Post #5

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,624

A chicken (normal) will cost you about $5 these days. They will need a roost/pen which will cost roughly ~$500. Yes, you will need it so they can sleep comfortably and un-stressed, and thus lay good eggs. Even the hens roost on poles at night. Each bird will need 4 square feet in the roost and yard if they can roam around and rotate in different areas. Each bird will need 12 square feet if they will be confined in the same space for a long period of time. Make sure the roaming area and pen are predator-proofed as well. I imagine that this will cost quite a bit more in the sixth world.

+Quote Post
Aerospider
post Mar 4 2012, 06:19 AM
Post #6

Running Target

Member No.: 17,968

QUOTE (NiL_FisK_Urd @ Mar 3 2012, 07:21 PM) *
Well, i think the price is too high - a pig costs 250nY and 150nY per month [Running Wild, p.34]. Also, chicken do not need that much space, i think you could house 2-3 of them in 4mē.

Depending on your take on animal rights you could house 2-3 in a square foot ...

+Quote Post
Jekolmy
post Mar 4 2012, 01:44 PM
Post #7

Target

Member No.: 16,575

QUOTE (Aerospider @ Mar 4 2012, 12:19 AM) *
Depending on your take on animal rights you could house 2-3 in a square foot ...

I suspect there may be a bit of difference between the minimum space they can live in and any sort of "optimal" space for them. That being said the more room they get the better producers they are until the time comes for the chickens themselves to be eaten because egg production is way down.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 06:02 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.