+Quote Post
toturi
post Mar 19 2012, 12:31 PM
Post #302

Canon Companion

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,187

QUOTE (snowRaven @ Mar 19 2012, 06:07 PM) *
(yes, I see the referece - edited above)

I am not actually refering to the rules on p161. I was refering to the "just as helmets and shields do".
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Thanee
post Mar 19 2012, 12:31 PM
Post #303

jacked in

Group: Admin
Member No.: 463

QUOTE (toturi @ Mar 19 2012, 09:10 AM) *
Whatever the outcome of the above is, the correct answer to this question is "Yes, but under a stricter reading it is 'no'."

Well, if you mean by that, that the "intended to be worn in conjunction with the appropriate helmet" part can be read as "Sure, PPP is totally fine!", then you do not need a very strict kind of reading to come to the conclusion that this is wrong. You would need a really lenient way of reading it into that part.

Bye
Thanee

+Quote Post
Thanee
post Mar 19 2012, 12:32 PM
Post #304

jacked in

QUOTE (toturi @ Mar 19 2012, 01:31 PM) *
I was refering to the "just as helmets and shields do".

... which in turn references p. 161. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

And just to be sure, that reference is also included in the part you mentioned (right behind it, you only have to read the sentence to the end).

Bye
Thanee

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Mar 19 2012, 01:55 PM
Post #305

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

Yes, Shortstraw, held-not-worn is a possible argument for shields. That point was make nearly over 275 posts ago, and several times since. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

I still can't understand these RAW flavors toturi's pushing: 'normal RAW', 'strict RAW', 'literal RAW'… and he says they contradict each other?

+Quote Post
toturi
post Mar 19 2012, 03:21 PM
Post #306

Canon Companion

Member No.: 4,187

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Mar 19 2012, 09:55 PM) *
I still can't understand these RAW flavors toturi's pushing: 'normal RAW', 'strict RAW', 'literal RAW'… and he says they contradict each other?

RAW is any of the many different and differing manners that the Rules As Written can be read and be taken to mean due to imprecise wording, ambigious langauge, etc. Sometimes these differing meanings can contradict each other.

I use the term strict RAW to refer the strictly literal meaning of the Rules As Written.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Mar 19 2012, 04:03 PM
Post #307

Advocatus Diaboli

I understand, but if there's ambiguity *neither* is RAW (or both, heh). I agree that there are different possible interpretations, which is nothing but a personal choice. Ambiguity is not sensitive to 'strictness'. Call them RAW-A, RAW-B, but my problem is the idea that they differ on some scale of 'literalness'.

+Quote Post
Neraph
post Mar 25 2012, 05:07 PM
Post #308

Great Dragon

Member No.: 16,387

QUOTE (snowRaven @ Mar 18 2012, 01:49 PM) *
p. 161: "Note that some armor items, like helmets and shields, provide a modifier to the worn armor rating and so do not count as stacked armor."

Please define for me in the game terms an "armor item." Show me a listing of them. You will not be able to because that classification does not exist except in this one instance, making it a descriptive term and not a definitive category. Further, helmets/PPP/shields do not apparently have any armor value themselves: they have a modifier that they add to worn armor ratings. As such, they are not, by game rules, classified as "other worn armor," since they do not have and cannot grant an armor rating of their own - they can only modify an existing armor rating with their modifier.

This clearly does not include them in the MilSpec armor's caveat about any other armor, and clearly allows MilSpec helmets (as well as any other helmet/PPP/shield) to be used with MilSpec armor, regardless of encumbrance rules.

EDIT: Sorry for the lag, 56 hour work week.

+Quote Post
Halinn
post Mar 25 2012, 05:45 PM
Post #309

Running Target

Member No.: 18,786

Are you seriously arguing that items referred to in their own description as armor, and mentioned to be worn, is somehow not worn armor? Because the rules do not have an exhaustive listing of what 'armor items' are?
How about this line of arguing: helmets/PPP/shields are bought separately from the MilSpec armor, so it is clearly not that armor. That leaves one with the fact that it is separate, and thus something else. Given that it is something else from MilSpec armor, and it is referred to as armor and being worn in its own text, it has to be other worn armor. Thus, it does not matter that it does not count as stacked, because the MilSpec rules do not make mention of that word in any place.

+Quote Post
snowRaven
post Mar 25 2012, 07:21 PM
Post #310

Shooting Target

Member No.: 4,516

QUOTE (Neraph @ Mar 25 2012, 06:07 PM) *
Please define for me in the game terms an "armor item." Show me a listing of them. You will not be able to because that classification does not exist except in this one instance, making it a descriptive term and not a definitive category. Further, helmets/PPP/shields do not apparently have any armor value themselves: they have a modifier that they add to worn armor ratings. As such, they are not, by game rules, classified as "other worn armor," since they do not have and cannot grant an armor rating of their own - they can only modify an existing armor rating with their modifier.

This clearly does not include them in the MilSpec armor's caveat about any other armor, and clearly allows MilSpec helmets (as well as any other helmet/PPP/shield) to be used with MilSpec armor, regardless of encumbrance rules.

EDIT: Sorry for the lag, 56 hour work week.

Armor pg. 326: "The following armor items offer tremendous damage resistance without slowing the wearer down or drawing too much attention." Then there's the list of all SR4A armor.

So, by that paragraph and the one you quoted me quoting above, everything that provides armor is an 'armor item', and regardless of what you think anything with an armor rating (regardless of +'s or not) provides armor. Just look at the trolls 'natural armor', with the same +. Or dermal plating, which 'gives a bonus to' armor. Or bone lacing. Or orthoskin. Or double elastin (the only thing speciically stating it's cumulative with other armor bonuses, no less...). Or dermal sheathig (wait...this doesn't state that it's cumulative with worm armor...what does it add to?).

That, and the fact that Military grade armor is clear on only allowing it's own helmet.

If it's armor and you wear it, it's worn armor. Quite simple.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Mar 26 2012, 01:15 AM
Post #311

Advocatus Diaboli

Neraph, you're the one trying to invent 'armor item' as a term for what they're *not*. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) If the term (or something like it) doesn't exist, then there's no reason to claim that +X items don't count. Of course, this is all beside the point, because the milspec rule doesn't say 'armor items', just 'armor'. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
KarmaInferno
post Mar 26 2012, 01:23 AM
Post #312

Old Man Jones

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 1,699

A problem is that Shadowrun does not use a comprehensive system of Defined Terms.

Seriously, it doesn't. It often makes some effort to use similar terminology for similar things, it even has SOME specifically defined terms, but for every one that is defined, there are twenty that are just kinda sorta thrown in and used in slightly different ways depending on who wrote the bit of rules you are reading.

So, in the absence of an all-encompassing comprehensive defined list of rules terminology, "other worn armor" means what it means in Plain English. "Armor", that is "worn", that is "other" than the mil-Spec armor you are comparing it to.

-k

+Quote Post
Shortstraw
post Mar 26 2012, 01:59 AM
Post #313

Running Target

Member No.: 29,391

I just don't care anymore.

+Quote Post
almost normal
post Mar 26 2012, 03:42 AM
Post #314

Running Target

Group: Banned
Member No.: 18,961

QUOTE (Shortstraw @ Mar 25 2012, 08:59 PM) *
I just don't care anymore.

Was it too many passive aggressive smileys for your taste?

I brought up shields about 10 pages ago for the following point; If you feel that strapping a shield to your arm while wearing Mil-spec is okay, the shield clearly being additional armor, then PPP should also be allowed. If you feel that "other armor" includes strapping a shield to your arm, and that magically the shield will be repelled from your person because the rules say it won't work, then PPP shouldn't be allowed in your game.

It makes me laugh when some jokers suggest that strapping a giant metal plate to your arm is A-okay, but a strap-on cup over your junk is completely unbelievable and implausible.

TL;DR : If shields = Yes, Then PPP = Yes.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Mar 26 2012, 03:45 AM
Post #315

Advocatus Diaboli

Carrying a shield. But even if that were the choice, the answer would be 'neither'.

It's not about plausible; recall, this is a 'RAW discussion'. If were were going by 'makes sense', all bets would be off.

… (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
almost normal
post Mar 26 2012, 03:49 AM
Post #316

Running Target

Group: Banned
Member No.: 18,961

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Mar 25 2012, 10:45 PM) *
Carrying a shield. But even if that were the choice, the answer would be 'neither'.

It's not about plausible; recall, this is a 'RAW discussion'. If were were going by 'makes sense', all bets would be off.

… (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

It's the act of strapping the shield to your arm that activates it. RAW is just as ambiguous on whether a shield would work as whether PPP would work with Mil-Spec. Signs point to neither working.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Mar 26 2012, 04:00 AM
Post #317

Advocatus Diaboli

Right. And that's fine, if that's the choice. Better to not use an incredibly niche item like a shield, than allow PPP to augment what's supposed to be the best, fully customized armor tech anyone could invent.

+Quote Post
Flaser
post Apr 5 2013, 12:41 AM
Post #318

Moving Target

Member No.: 85,198

So far I've seen the rules debated ad nauseum in this thread with hair-splitting focus on semantics.
Let's take a break and instead focus on something else: comparing stats.

The "best" armor one can get without Mil-spec is SWAT Armor (12/10)+ FFB Suit (6/2, counts as +3/+1 for encumbrance) + PPP (+2/+4) + SWAT or FBA helmet (+2/+2).
The net protection from this is 22/18, albeit it needs a BOD of 10 to wear (since it only counts as 19/16 for encumbrance). SWAT armor is also specifically mentioned to be often worn with extra protection, like PPP.
Heavy Mil-Spec Armor by comparison grant 18/16 with helmet worn.

If Heavy Mil-Spec Armor is supposed to be the "end all" of personal protection, something should be done to make it so.

If PPP can be worn with it, then it can grant 20/20 protection, still a bit less than the above described monstrosity... so I don't see the point in vehemently opposing this. The person wearing it would still need a BOD of 7.

As a GM, I wouldn't allow FBB to be worn with Mil-Spec armor, as the later already incorporates all the features of the former. PPP by comparison doesn't provide such a great bonus and allow Mil-Spec armor to be tailored a bit and brings it in-line with what its capabilities are implied to be.

The alternative is to prevent full body armors in some way from this Munchkin exploit, say by breaking them up into a bodysuit and added armor and stating that you can only swap out parts for either FBB or PPP, but not stack them.

+Quote Post
Critias
post Apr 5 2013, 01:52 AM
Post #319

Freelance Elf

Member No.: 6,714

Was it really necessary to bring back a thread that'd been dead over a year? Especially when your post starts off by complaining about other people debating ad nauseum?

+Quote Post
Flaser
post Apr 5 2013, 12:03 PM
Post #320

Moving Target

Member No.: 85,198

Damn! Knew I missed something... <looks at calendar> 2013... 13.

Puts on the funny hat.

I'll sit in the corner now.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Apr 5 2013, 02:42 PM
Post #321

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

Don't feel bad... for a brief minute or so, I thought that a topic had exploded and generated a ton of posts without me even knowing it. Then the date clicked with me. Good thing I had not actually started to read it. Happens to everyone.

+Quote Post
Critias
post Apr 5 2013, 02:46 PM
Post #322

Freelance Elf

Member No.: 6,714

Which is why everyone is fair game for gettin' a little crap when they do it. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
Mikado
post Apr 6 2013, 05:21 PM
Post #323

Moving Target

Member No.: 9,286

QUOTE (Neraph @ Mar 9 2012, 05:50 PM) *
I fail to see how "Note that some armor items... provide a modifier to the worn armor rating and so do not count as stacked armor" equals "not counted as separate armor for purposes of encumbrance" for you. What that says is quite plain: helmets, shields, and, with Arsenal, PPP, do not count as separate armor at all and simply provide a modifier to existing armor ratings.

QUOTE (Arsenal)
All these armors are intended to be worn in conjunction with the appropriate helmet to offer optimal protection, exploiting the armors’ technical possibilities to their fullest extent. Military armor is wireless enabled (automatically subscribed to the helmet’s commlink), and features a built-in biomonitor and several built-in security tags. Each can be equipped with any of the armor modifications described on p. 50 or p. 317, SR4, including chemical seal and environmental adaptation.
Dartguns, blowguns, needles, and other 0 DV attacks used to expose the target to injection-vector compounds cannot penetrate a full suit of military armor. No other armor can be worn with military-grade armor.

First -
All these armors are intended to be worn in conjunction with the appropriate helmet to offer optimal protection, exploiting the armors’ technical possibilities to their fullest extent.
Does NOT say that any helmet can be worn with millitary grade armor only that it is supposed to be worn with the millitary grade helmet.

Second -
No other armor can be worn with military-grade armor.
Does NOT say that armor that does not count as stacked armor or adds to encumbrance in a different way can be worn.
It says no other armor can be worn with millitary-grade armor. That is all it says.

+Quote Post
Thanee
post Apr 7 2013, 10:01 AM
Post #324

jacked in

QUOTE (Flaser @ Apr 5 2013, 02:03 PM) *
Puts on the funny hat.

Yeah, you are a few days late for the april fool! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Bye
Thanee

+Quote Post
Mach_Ten
post Apr 7 2013, 12:39 PM
Post #325

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 70,521

QUOTE (Mikado @ Apr 6 2013, 06:21 PM) *
First -
All these armors are intended to be worn in conjunction with the appropriate helmet to offer optimal protection, exploiting the armors’ technical possibilities to their fullest extent.
Does NOT say that any helmet can be worn with millitary grade armor only that it is supposed to be worn with the millitary grade helmet.

Second -
No other armor can be worn with military-grade armor.
Does NOT say that armor that does not count as stacked armor or adds to encumbrance in a different way can be worn.
It says no other armor can be worn with millitary-grade armor. That is all it says.

can we lock it before it goes back round again for another 12 month cycle ? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post

14 Pages V  « < 11 12 13 14 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 16th April 2024 - 07:05 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.