Member No.: 18,961

Resonance Trodes
Prerequisite: Skinlink
The technomancer gains the ability to use his touch as trodes
for another person to provide simsense signals or even share his perception
of the Matrix. If used against the receiver’s will (for instance,
to drag a person’s mind into hot VR and nuke it with Black IC),
it requires a touch-based unarmed attack to apply the trodes, and
maintaining the grip may require a successful subduing attack (p.
152, SR4). If resisted, the technomancer must also beat their victim
in an Opposed Test, pitting Resonance + Willpower against the target’s
Intuition + Willpower. If successful, the technomancer’s touch
act as trodes until he stops or physical contact is broken.

If a TM using this power hits a mage who's currently astrally projecting, what happens?

The valid options seem to be (And by all means, add others if they dont fit)

1. Nothing. The power doesn't work because the mind isn't there.
2. The Mage is snapped back into reality and fights against the TM in the Matrix
3. The TM has free reign to nuke the defenseless mage.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
phlapjack77
post Mar 6 2012, 06:15 AM
Post #2

Runner

Group: Members
Member No.: 18,611

Interesting idea. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

I'd vote for option 3, sort of like if a shedim finds the body of a currently astral mage. There is no mind (defenses) there, so the TM is free to do whatever damage they like. Tabula rasa.

+Quote Post
pbangarth
post Mar 6 2012, 06:17 AM
Post #3

Old Man of the North

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 5,463

I'd go for number 3 as well.

Or, she could just shoot the defenseless mage. Of course, that would be less personal fun.

+Quote Post
almost normal
post Mar 6 2012, 02:52 PM
Post #4

Running Target

Group: Banned

QUOTE (pbangarth @ Mar 6 2012, 01:17 AM) *
I'd go for number 3 as well.

Or, she could just shoot the defenseless mage. Of course, that would be less personal fun.

Well, if #3 is what would happen, then yeah, shooting the mage, or plonking the mage's head with a nearby object would do, but if it forces the mage to snap back out of astral, that's got loads of interesting consequences attached.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Mar 6 2012, 03:33 PM
Post #5

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

I still say that no one knows how Resonance Trodes works (/what it does). What does 'drag their mind into VR' even mean? Are they inside the TM's node (i.e., a separate persona running on it, like a nexus)? If so, how is that possible, what stats do they have, etc.?

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Mar 6 2012, 05:18 PM
Post #6

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 16,392

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Mar 6 2012, 10:33 AM) *
I still say that no one knows how Resonance Trodes works (/what it does). What does 'drag their mind into VR' even mean? Are they inside the TM's node (i.e., a separate persona running on it, like a nexus)? If so, how is that possible, what stats do they have, etc.?

I think it's the Resonance version of Shade ("force the taker to astrally project").

+Quote Post
ShadowWalker
post Mar 6 2012, 05:30 PM
Post #7

Moving Target

Member No.: 18,696

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Mar 6 2012, 10:33 AM) *

The way I would work this is that the Resonance Trodes is giving the Person temporary access to Resonance and that their Stats should be built as one would a Living Persona.
With a limit on the Stats equal to the Resonance of the Technomancer using Resonance Trodes. They would also be within that persons Bionode and not the Bionode of the Technomancer.
So Response = Intuition +1, Firewall = Willpower, System = Logic, Signal = non-existant (has to use the Technomancers Signal), Biofeedback Filter = Charisma, Initiative = Intuition x2 +1, 3 passes.

Another way to look at it is to think of how regular trodes work. They are connected to a commlink. That commlink has stats, the persona gets it's stats from that commlink.
Resonance Trodes are also linked to something that acts like a commlink. That being the Bionode. The Bionode has stats, via the stats of the Living Persona.
So a person brought into VR via Resonance Trodes should have stats based on the Bionode and Living Persona.

Since the person also has a Resonance of Zero one could also argue that their Stats should be Zero.
Which would mean nuking would be just straight damage, no resistance.

+Quote Post
almost normal
post Mar 6 2012, 05:48 PM
Post #8

Running Target

So you'd put that under #3? Or a subset of 3 where the mage snaps back to the body, defenseless?

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Mar 6 2012, 05:52 PM
Post #9

Advocatus Diaboli

Yeah, it is kind of tricky. Your second suggestion is what I meant by 'nexus' (mundane uses the bionode as a 'shared' commlink). The problem there is the canonicity of 'sharing' Resonance, and their access to 'programs' and things. The 'temporary techno' method is a distinct concept, and yeah, Resonance 0 is kind of an issue. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

For me, I feel like this is basically an attack skill; it's be much simpler to just give it a damage effect.

It does have non-attack uses, as well; for those, it might again be easier to just say 'the techno sends a simsense feed' and/or 'the techno emulates a commlink'.

The sticky bit is the whole 'drags into VR' part. The actual *effects* are pretty okay… except for the OP question. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Mar 6 2012, 06:09 PM
Post #10

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Mar 6 2012, 08:33 AM) *

Well, if they are a non-TM, they have no stats in VR; That is what a comlink is for, after all. At least they can apply their Willpower to soak that Blackhammer Damage. Sucks to be them... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Mar 6 2012, 06:15 PM
Post #11

Advocatus Diaboli

Yes. If that's the case, though, it'd be so much simpler to just say, 'Resonance Trodes allows to you apply black effects directly.'

This is compatible with the first part of the rules: "provide simsense signals or even share his perception of the Matrix". (In this case, provide *dangerous* simsense.)

So, that's my conclusion. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Ignore the 'drag into VR' bit entirely, and say that RTrodes does exactly this: send (but not receive!) simsense (chosen by the user, inc. black effects, BTL, or just 'screen sharing') to a willing/unwilling subject.

Incidentally, this solves the OP question, because we know how trodes function on projecting mages, right?

+Quote Post
ShadowWalker
post Mar 6 2012, 06:19 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

I think that if the mage's mind is not there then what is there to bring into the VR environment?
If your view is that Resonance Trodes allows the Technomancer access to the persons Bionode equivalent, then they end up in an empty room with no persona there to attack.
The only thing they could do is crash the node, and make the mage end up dealing with what is listed in Unwired.

Crashing the biological node is a painful and unpleasant experience as it forcefully severs all links to the Matrix and forces the technomancer to reboot (p. 221, SR4). In addition, the technomancer suffers a –2 dice pool modifier from disorientation and vertigo until he has fully rebooted.

That to me says the mage ends up back in hisor her body once the node is rebooted.

As an attack you do the touch attack. If they succeed in touching, then do the forced connection attack they have listed. If the connection is forced then do either a Black Hammer, Blackout attack with the resistance being zero. Standard Attack program should probably do something to. I wouldn't have a problem in this being unresisted, just look at the number of rolls needed to make this work.

Doing just a touch attack means that contact is broken as soon as the attack is over. If you want it to last then you would need a standard unarmed attack, or better grapple/subdual attack.
Atlhough I would think both bodies would go limp into VR. Having Mesh Reality would make keeping contact easier.

+Quote Post
Irion
post Mar 6 2012, 06:20 PM
Post #13

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 18,860

I would go with option one.
The description is your really seperate your soul from your body.

+Quote Post
NiL_FisK_Urd
post Mar 6 2012, 06:30 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 43,494

sure, the soul is in the astral - but black hammer kills neurons, and these are still in your head. It would be easier to just shoot the mage though.

+Quote Post
almost normal
post Mar 6 2012, 06:33 PM
Post #15

Running Target

ShadowWalker brings up the other point.

You could go total inception on the mage, presumably. Edit up a VR environment that perfectly matches their room and all that. From there, the possibilities are endless.

+Quote Post
ShadowWalker
post Mar 6 2012, 06:38 PM
Post #16

Moving Target

QUOTE (almost normal @ Mar 6 2012, 01:33 PM) *
ShadowWalker brings up the other point.

You could go total inception on the mage, presumably. Edit up a VR environment that perfectly matches their room and all that. From there, the possibilities are endless.

Using Edit and Reality Filter on a person's Bionode is just nasty!
Although VR still looks virtual and not real.

+Quote Post
snowRaven
post Mar 6 2012, 06:40 PM
Post #17

Shooting Target

Member No.: 4,516

I'd say it would have the same effect as applying a set of trodes linked to a commlink, only the technomancer is in charge and the subject is just hitching along. It would be using the technomancers brain as a commlink you can't control, basically?

+Quote Post
almost normal
post Mar 6 2012, 08:21 PM
Post #18

Running Target

QUOTE (ShadowWalker @ Mar 6 2012, 01:38 PM) *
Although VR still looks virtual and not real.

You sure on that buddy?

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Mar 6 2012, 08:28 PM
Post #19

Advocatus Diaboli

The problem with ShadowWalker's characterization is that I don't think we have any grounds for assuming a bionode on the part of the *subject*. At most, the techno is pulling the subject into the techno's bionode. So, there's no concept of the subject's 'empty bionode' or 'crashing the subject's bionode' at all.

I'm also not sure there's any game/world reality of 'their mind isn't present' or the correlation between the astral and matrix rules here. Like I said, I thought it was a known situation for trodes on a mage: while projecting, the mage gets zero input from their 'meat' senses. This includes 'natural' senses (sight, hearing, etc., *and* injury) and simsense (whatever form). So, if injury effects affect the projection, then neural damage would too… but the mage wouldn't *feel* it (or see, or hear, or simsense).

+Quote Post
Irion
post Mar 6 2012, 08:45 PM
Post #20

Neophyte Runner

Member No.: 18,860

@NiL_FisK_Urd
A bullet in the head also kills neurons. Does not force you back from the astral plane. You won't have a body to go back to thought.
But the technomancer will have a very pissed off mage on his ass...

+Quote Post
Draco18s
post Mar 6 2012, 08:57 PM
Post #21

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 16,392

QUOTE (Irion @ Mar 6 2012, 03:45 PM) *
But the technomancer will have a very pissed off mage on his ass...

And the techno will be 100% immune to anything the mage does.

+Quote Post
almost normal
post Mar 6 2012, 09:09 PM
Post #22

Running Target

QUOTE (Draco18s @ Mar 6 2012, 03:57 PM) *
And the techno will be 100% immune to anything the mage does.

Except the OP spirits the mage can summon.

If I were that TM, I'd take the first flight to space and wait that bitch out.

+Quote Post
snowRaven
post Mar 6 2012, 09:17 PM
Post #23

Shooting Target

QUOTE (almost normal @ Mar 6 2012, 10:09 PM) *

Yup yup.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Mar 6 2012, 09:22 PM
Post #24

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (almost normal @ Mar 6 2012, 02:09 PM) *

Why? Why would the projecting mage even have any idea who just screwed him over into death?
His body just.... Dies...

+Quote Post
snowRaven
post Mar 6 2012, 09:24 PM
Post #25

Shooting Target

Psychometry. Spirits. pre-run Divining. Witnesses. Cpovering himself in astrally luminescent invisible paint before going out.

Take your pick (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif)

+Quote Post

8 Pages V   1 2 3 > » 
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 20th April 2024 - 05:55 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.