Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Adjusting BP for Prime Runners
Method
post Mar 7 2012, 03:08 AM
Post #1

Street Doc

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,114

So I recently built a Prime Runner NPC using Chummer, since Prime Runners are supposed to be all fully fleshed out, stat'd and whatnot. But a couple of things occurred to me:

1.) I don't have the time or interest to stat out lifestyles, contacts and a bunch of other things that don't have any bearing on the NPC's role in my game.

2.) If I match the NPC's BP/karma to the team's, he will in fact end up more powerful because he isn't burdened by needing to pay for all the junk mentioned above.

So the question is this: anybody have a rough estimate of how one would adjust the BPs for Prime Runners such that they are actually matched to the PCs (or more powerful or less powerful as may be the case)? In other words, if you had to knock off a chunk of BP for "very important character fleshing-out stuff that will not affect the adventure in the least" how much would that be, roughly?

I'm thinking something like 400 PC --> 350 NPC or something.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
Pollux710
post Mar 7 2012, 03:53 AM
Post #2

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,424

There are rules in the SR4 corebook for this.

+Quote Post
Method
post Mar 7 2012, 04:07 AM
Post #3

Street Doc

You don't say! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/ohplease.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

Maybe I wasn't clear. My observation is that Prime Runners built on equal BP (the 90-110% BP suggested on page 285 of SR4A) are in fact more powerful than their PC counterparts if you don't assume that part of their points are spent on the kinds of things PCs have to spend their points on (like lifestyles, safehouses, contacts, etc., etc.). If you assume that the -10% accounts for stuff like this, fine, but there is no way a Prime Runner built with +10% is going to be comparable to the PCs- he will almost certainly be at an advantage.

What I am looking for is a correction that estimates those costs so that I can make a Prime Runner quickly using Chummer that is actually comparable to the PCs.

But thanks for your help. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

+Quote Post
Boomer1985
post Mar 7 2012, 04:39 AM
Post #4

Target

Member No.: 17,621

You should have all that stuff in the cost of your npc for that exact reason so he isnt more powerful than your pc's but if its just one prime runner plus other random guys than he should be more powerful to give your players a challenge.

+Quote Post
Method
post Mar 7 2012, 05:00 AM
Post #5

Street Doc

QUOTE (Boomer1985 @ Mar 6 2012, 10:39 PM) *
You should have all that stuff in the cost of your npc for that exact reason so he isnt more powerful than your pc's...
Yeah, I know, I'm doing it wrong. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

The point is I'm being lazy and just want to lop off X BP and be done with it.

Anyway, I guess I'll just play around on Chummer til I get it about right. Thanks anyway.

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Mar 7 2012, 05:19 AM
Post #6

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

If you simply need a rough number of BP's to lop off, I would say about 40 build points. 15 or so to represent the resources invested in a high lifestyle, a safehouse or two, and several fake IDs, and 25 to emulate a few decent high connection/loyalty contacts.

+Quote Post
Tanegar
post Mar 7 2012, 06:11 AM
Post #7

Runner

Member No.: 9,731

Why do prime runners need statting out? As NPCs, they're living plot devices: as strong/tough/deadly as you need or want them to be.

+Quote Post
Makki
post Mar 7 2012, 06:19 AM
Post #8

Running Target

Member No.: 18,036

I believe a 400BP NPC stands no chance against a TEAM of 400BP PCs...
If I need a prime runner, i don't use any building system. I just make sure he's enough of a challenge. The Red Samurai in the core book are a good start.

+Quote Post
Mercer
post Mar 7 2012, 06:34 AM
Post #9

Running Target

Member No.: 2,600

BP's aren't as good a point for comparison as dice pools are. That said, were I so inclined to make NPC's using BP's, I wouldn't worry about the discrepancy. NPC's don't have to worry about bullshit like lifestyle and contacts, so that put's them a little ahead of the PC's. But each PC gets it's own player controlling it, while the GM has to split his concentration between all his NPC's and the running of the game itself, so the advantage is usually with the PC's.

+Quote Post
Glyph
post Mar 7 2012, 06:54 AM
Post #10

Great Dragon

Member No.: 1,449

I picture prime runners as 400 BP runners who have filled in their weaknesses. A 400 BP runner could have a similar dice pool, say 20 or so, but the prime runner will have raised his dump stats, gained a spread of useful skills outside of his "main" one, and will overall have better gear (a bit of betaware, some high-Availability gear, etc.), and have the trappings of success (not just a high lifestyle doss, but maybe the bouncers at a few exclusive clubs let him into the private areas, he is on a first-name basis with the Yakuza oyabun, etc.).

I would simply give the NPC the stats that he or she should have. And don't worry about balancing that much - it is a very situational thing. If a group goes head-to-head with an individual, usually that individual is going down. If a prime runner ambushes a lone PC, it might not even be a fight. The prime runner rigger might be able to blow the team's rigger off the road, but will still likely get beaten down if he picks a bar fight with the group's street samurai. Prime runner does not mean invincible, or "end-of-level-boss", just someone who is very good at what he does.

+Quote Post
Method
post Mar 7 2012, 01:51 PM
Post #11

Street Doc

Thanks for the feedback gentleman (and or ladies).

Obviously after years of playing SR I have learned how to balance opposition and eyeball a Prime Runner. That's not really the issue. Again, this is all prompted by my attempts to use Chummer, for better or worse.

But I like the 40 BP Glyph suggested. That's about the ballpark I was thinking.

Thanks again.

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Mar 8 2012, 03:11 AM
Post #12

Uncle Fisty

Member No.: 6,928

You could just play it by ear. Have an idea of what skill levels they should be at (as per what each skill rating represents , 5 being Expert, etc), and design it that way. You're already trying to save time, and this is supposed to be a "Prime Runner". I'm sure you've played SR long enough to have a feel for how dice pools and skills equate in actual play, so set it up for what feels right with your players level and what you want the NPC to do.
It might not be as "fair" since you're not actually being BP, but SR has never been about being "fair". That's why you geek the mage first.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th March 2024 - 09:00 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.