IPB

Welcome Guest ( Log In | Register )

2 Pages V   1 2 >  
Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Supressive Fire..., ...using Grenade Launchers?
snowRaven
post Mar 8 2012, 10:46 PM
Post #1

Shooting Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 4,516

With the FA capable Grenade launcher, and the rules in War! for Supressive Fire using SA weapons, it is now possible to use Supressive fire with grenade launchers.

How would you people resolve this?

Especially with the FA version, there will be explosions galore somewhere...

Has this come up in anyone elses game?
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Mar 8 2012, 11:45 PM
Post #2

Immortal Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 14,465

With Suppressive Fire from a bullet-firing weapon, you can suppress a doorway, window, or even an alleyway.

With Suppressive Fire from a full-auto grenade launcher, you can suppress a STREET. (You also decrease the property value in the area by a significant amount and cause people to move away RFQ.).

+Quote Post
snowRaven
post Mar 8 2012, 11:55 PM
Post #3

Shooting Target

Yeah, but how do you determine who is within blast radius and not? Scatter? Damage? (still go 'half base damage' for SA weapons, for instance?)

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Mar 9 2012, 12:06 AM
Post #4

Immortal Elf

QUOTE (snowRaven @ Mar 8 2012, 07:55 PM) *
Yeah, but how do you determine who is within blast radius and not? Scatter? Damage? (still go 'half base damage' for SA weapons, for instance?)
I plead the Fifth. "You're Canadian, you don't have The Fifth." I'm drinking a Fifth. "You have no booze in the house." Shut up, they don't know that. "I just told them." Damnit inner voice, stay inner!

Have to read the rules again... Which means, *shudder*, opening War!.

+Quote Post
snowRaven
post Mar 9 2012, 12:54 AM
Post #5

Shooting Target

QUOTE (CanRay @ Mar 9 2012, 01:06 AM) *
I plead the Fifth. "You're Canadian, you don't have The Fifth." I'm drinking a Fifth. "You have no booze in the house." Shut up, they don't know that. "I just told them." Damnit inner voice, stay inner!

Have to read the rules again... Which means, *shudder*, opening War!.

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif)

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Mar 9 2012, 01:30 AM
Post #6

Advocatus Diaboli

Member No.: 14,282

Yeah, I'd do something like 'suppress a larger area than bullets do' and just use the basic flat DV no-net-hits rules of Suppression. Just assume that the whole area gets evenly-distributed blasts. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Maybe remove the prone and Edge effects entirely?

+Quote Post
snowRaven
post Mar 9 2012, 01:42 AM
Post #7

Shooting Target

Using impact-triggered minigrenades I'm thinking doing it just like bullets - no reason not to, really - and only trigger the area blasts if someone is hit.

Otherwise, I'm thinking targeting a circle instead of a cone - launcher style arc and cover a circle of ground.

Question is how big a circle, and how to handle dodging (presumably even on full-auto the entire circle wouldn't be exploding at once for the entire time).

Maybe let ppl get the standard defense roll to find cover/get out of the area before the fun starts? Anyone caught in the middle of it all once the 'nades start going off will take standard damage (no drop off) - more if they glitch/critical glitch their defense?

I have a player who loves explosives, and so far he only has an SA launcher - but I know he's gonna aim for FA sooner or later...it's bound to be nasty.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Mar 9 2012, 01:46 AM
Post #8

Advocatus Diaboli

Mostly my table just doesn't use grenades. We understand that they're preposterously cheap, very deadly, and crazy loud. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Yeah, I can see both of your solutions. Personally, I don't think I'd *opt* to suppress with grenades; that's expensive, even at SR4 grenade prices.

+Quote Post
snowRaven
post Mar 9 2012, 01:56 AM
Post #9

Shooting Target

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Mar 9 2012, 02:46 AM) *
Mostly my table just doesn't use grenades. We understand that they're preposterously cheap, very deadly, and crazy loud. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Yeah, I can see both of your solutions. Personally, I don't think I'd *opt* to suppress with grenades; that's expensive, even at SR4 grenade prices.

When trying to cover hos traces after a theft at MIT&T, this player blew out half of the building...mostly unintentional.
Arranging for a diversion to slow security coming up an elevator, he dropped an entire back-pack full of C14 on a timer down the shaft. The team just barely made it out of the blast radius before the entire penthouse went bye-bye.
Most recently, we ran the Burning Bridges SRM and he managed to disintegrate a sizeable chunk of the brooklyn side caisson.

Each incident was with a different character, and the last (and current) didn't even have Demolitions.

His most recent explosives-related feat was taking out a 12 man mounted go-gang with 2 grenades...

(...and you wonder why I want to enforce hit caps at my table... pfft! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif) )

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Mar 9 2012, 02:04 AM
Post #10

Advocatus Diaboli

He seems like a liability, as a shadowrunner. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Yeah, there was one big scene that two of us just ruined in a game once, because a couple UBGLs that we barely knew how to use destroyed huge amounts of the opposition. They're just fully game-breaking. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/frown.gif)

Demolitions shouldn't be defaultable. Solved.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Mar 9 2012, 03:12 AM
Post #11

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Mar 8 2012, 07:04 PM) *
He seems like a liability, as a shadowrunner. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

Yeah, there was one big scene that two of us just ruined in a game once, because a couple UBGLs that we barely knew how to use destroyed huge amounts of the opposition. They're just fully game-breaking. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/frown.gif)

Demolitions shouldn't be defaultable. Solved.

Definitely a liability, as a Shadowrunner... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
I don't know. Keeping Demolitions Defaultable WILL weed out the Incompetant Idiots trying it. Seen it happen IRL, why should a game be any different? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Mar 9 2012, 03:16 AM
Post #12

Advocatus Diaboli

I mean, by that logic, everything is defaultable. Hehe.

+Quote Post
Tymeaus Jalynsfe...
post Mar 9 2012, 03:19 AM
Post #13

Prime Runner Ascendant

Member No.: 17,022

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Mar 8 2012, 08:16 PM) *
I mean, by that logic, everything is defaultable. Hehe.

Well, a lot of things, anyways. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon8685
post Mar 9 2012, 03:21 AM
Post #14

Horror

Member No.: 7,445

With a fully-automatic grenade launcher, just pick a 90-deegree cone from your current location. Everyone and everything you have line of sight to in that arc within 500 meters that isn't behind a hardened wall is Suppressed. Alternatively, if you're fighting in a built-up area, just pick a dramatic direction - such as "north along the street" or "every high wall on the west side of the street." Everything that meets those (GM-approved) criterion is suppressed.

Remember, suppressing with an automatic grenade launcher is second only to suppression fire from a vehicular autocannon. You're shelling the whole damn area. If it wasn't a warzone before, it'll become one when the High-Threat Response team shows up.

+Quote Post
snowRaven
post Mar 9 2012, 03:48 AM
Post #15

Shooting Target

Yeah, problem is that 20 grenades won't really effectively cover a 500 meter long cone, unless you do imact-triggered of course. I'm figuring more you can pick an area of roughly 50m diameter, and guarantee that everything in there takes more or less full damage.

The main problem comes from handling suppression with a Semi-auto GL, and that's what I can't quite get to work using existing suppression rules from War!...

+Quote Post
ShadowDragon8685
post Mar 9 2012, 05:07 AM
Post #16

Horror

Member No.: 7,445

QUOTE (snowRaven @ Mar 8 2012, 10:48 PM) *
Yeah, problem is that 20 grenades won't really effectively cover a 500 meter long cone, unless you do imact-triggered of course. I'm figuring more you can pick an area of roughly 50m diameter, and guarantee that everything in there takes more or less full damage.

Frankly, I'm amazed that grenades from any kind of launcher have any options other than impact and air-burst. Frankly, they should all be impact with an air-burst option.

I was expecting impact, by the way. Just shell the whole friggin' neighborhood. Everybody will get their heads down when that much shrapnel starts a-flyin'.

The main problem comes from handling suppression with a Semi-auto GL, and that's what I can't quite get to work using existing suppression rules from War!...

Well, the point of suppression fire is to make someone get down behind cover and stay down behind cover. You may be overthinking this one.

Just launch a grenade somewhere into his immediate vicinity. It's not like with bullets where you need a lot of them to spook someone into getting down. They'll be shouting "Full defense! Full defense!" faster than you can say "Airburst Link" when you start lobbing grenades at their position.

And that means they're not going to be acting in the next IP, because they pre-spent it diving for cover.

+Quote Post
Manunancy
post Mar 9 2012, 06:31 AM
Post #17

Moving Target

Member No.: 17,940

QUOTE (Tymeaus Jalynsfein @ Mar 9 2012, 04:12 AM) *
Definitely a liability, as a Shadowrunner... (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)
I don't know. Keeping Demolitions Defaultable WILL weed out the Incompetant Idiots trying it. Seen it happen IRL, why should a game be any different? (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Cyberpunk used a simple rule : trained user failed to get teh desired result and blew themselves up with a fumble. Untrained attempts made every failure a fumble. This tended to weed out the wanabee quickly and effectively.

In SR4 rules, having 'gremlins' like extraglitch cances could to the trick, with a severity adjusted by how touchy an explosive is used (easier to blow yourself up with nitroglycerine than C-4)

+Quote Post
The Jopp
post Mar 9 2012, 10:07 AM
Post #18

Runner

Member No.: 948

I would make it simple.

- How many grenades are there in a full auto barrage? I would say about 20'
- Add +1 to the base area effect of a grenade per shot fired.
- The total area is the area suppressed, calculate scatter from impact point as normal for the entire explosion radius ONCE.
- That is your supression area, if you want less scatter, start over and shoot again.

But for gods sake, dont mix grenades (Smoke, Incendiary, Frag) Enemy cannot see, they are on fire, and they explode...)

And yea, property value will be somewhat dimished. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif)

+Quote Post
NiL_FisK_Urd
post Mar 9 2012, 10:27 AM
Post #19

Moving Target

Member No.: 43,494

just supress with splash grenades + dmso + narcoject

+Quote Post
The Jopp
post Mar 9 2012, 11:25 AM
Post #20

Runner

QUOTE (NiL_FisK_Urd @ Mar 9 2012, 11:27 AM) *
just supress with splash grenades + dmso + narcoject

The problem with that is that people will overdose and die...not that they will survive a grenade barrage of frags...

I would suggest the following mixture:
-Nausea Gas
-Riot Foam
-Pepper Punch
-Flourescent Ink (Pink)

Now everyone will feel like shit without dying...hopefully.

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Mar 9 2012, 01:20 PM
Post #21

Advocatus Diaboli

Ugh, not *this* again. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Didn't you guys have enough 'fun' in the other thread?

+Quote Post
The Jopp
post Mar 9 2012, 01:32 PM
Post #22

Runner

QUOTE (Yerameyahu @ Mar 9 2012, 02:20 PM) *
Ugh, not *this* again. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif) Didn't you guys have enough 'fun' in the other thread?

(IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif) (IMG:style_emoticons/default/grinbig.gif)

+Quote Post
Yerameyahu
post Mar 9 2012, 01:46 PM
Post #23

Advocatus Diaboli

Hehe. Can you even suppress with not-all-the-same ammo? I mean, tracers definitely work, but that's just 'tracer ammo'. Off the top of my head, I'd say it has to be one type for the entire action.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Mar 9 2012, 01:59 PM
Post #24

Immortal Elf

DMSO + Deepweed = End of combat: "Dude, quit harshing my buzz." "Aw man, I got the munchies! We got any chips?"

+Quote Post
Shortstraw
post Mar 9 2012, 02:19 PM
Post #25

Running Target

Member No.: 29,391

Why aren't we discussing the real issue - suppressive fire from pantheon (read rapid fire aesir) satellites.

+Quote Post

2 Pages V   1 2 >
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 08:08 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.