Reply to this topicStart new topic
> Occult Games, More help needed
Pollux710
post Mar 13 2012, 12:53 PM
Post #1

Moving Target

Group: Members
Member No.: 16,424

Okay so I have the low-level Johnsons doing some runs, mostly dialogue oriented but now it is getting more into the Occult. I like to think of foci as actual artifacts from Earth's past such as the sword of Charalmagne or Aleister Crowleys' ceremonial dagger, etc. So in their hunt for power they are getting more into some Occult themes.

What are some good resources and encounters I can pit them against for thus, granted these are side projects as they still serve the corp itself but they are getting all of us more and more interested in this theme.
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Mar 14 2012, 02:35 AM
Post #2

Uncle Fisty

Group: Admin
Member No.: 6,928

For opposition, you could use just about any magical groups, citing competing interests. Perhaps some of the occult relics they're going after are wanted by a competing group. You could use the Illuminates of the New Dawn, or the Black Lodge very easily for that, as well as a number of mega corps that have an interest in the magical market. The IOND has a heavy leaning towards politics, where as the Black Lodge is more secretive and sinister. Any home grown group could work as well.

The Dawn of the Artifacts adventure series uses a number of "artifacts" along these lines, and there's even more of that in the Artifacts Unbound book. Also, if you can get a hold of it, the old Shadows of Europe book has a lot of little things like that seeded into it.

Ir you could spend some time playing with google and wikipedia and do a little of your own research. I've done a few games with random real world relics as SR twists to them. Makes for a good time.

Old specters or spirits still tied to items, or maybe a dragon (not of the "great" variety) that is interested in something can make for good complications, as can imps.

+Quote Post
kigmatzomat
post Mar 14 2012, 03:01 AM
Post #3

Moving Target

From: Louisville, KY (Well, Memphis, IN technically but you won't know where that is.)
Member No.: 7,626

Use native american artifacts. There were hundreds of tribes across North Am, each probably with at least one powerful relic, some of which had to survive. Look for the tribes that were local to your game. (http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/award98/ienhtml/tribes.html - Library of Congress, a good starting point for tribe names/locations with erratic information and this K-12 targeted database suitable for Seattle: http://content.lib.washington.edu/aipnw/)

If Crowley (1875-1947) dagger would be a relic, go for the american cult leaders and religious break-aways. Jim Jones' pulpit, David Khoresh's personal bible, Manson's copy of The White Album, William Penn's charter for Pennsylvania, Sir Thomas Dale's sword, Joseph Smith's "Book of Mormon", Henry Dunster's stole, and any of the original printings of the Urantia Book.

Lots of Aztec, Incan or pre-Columbian art migrated into the States during the early 20th century, any of which could be a relic.

possible spoilers in list of adventures you could easily adapt:
[ Spoiler ]
(Gah, the list of 1e adventures probably dates me as an old fart)

+Quote Post
Angelone
post Mar 14 2012, 03:11 AM
Post #4

Running Target

Member No.: 7,409

Andrew Jackson's whupping stick, George Washington's axe, John Wilkes Booth's gun, Teddy Roosevelt's mustache the list goes on.

+Quote Post
thenightaflame
post Mar 14 2012, 03:03 PM
Post #5

Target

Member No.: 51,012

Here's some random links for you that have some items that could be inspiring for ideas (there will be some overlap here, but they all mostly have different strange items):

http://weburbanist.com/2010/05/17/10-most-...ery-in-history/
http://www.funfunblog.com/cool-and-funny-a...nt-discoveries/
http://paranormal.about.com/od/ancientanom...cient-Artifact/
http://www.world-mysteries.com/sar.htm <--this guy even has some wonky new-agey/alternate history type stuff associated with a lot of the items.

+Quote Post
BishopMcQ
post Mar 14 2012, 08:47 PM
Post #6

The back-up plan

Group: Retired Admins
Member No.: 3,910

Items of historical importance can also have arcane effects--in 6WA, the Liberty Bell rings every year in the ears of any citizen born in Pennsylvania and during the execution of the New Revolution leaders.

+Quote Post
Stahlseele
post Mar 14 2012, 11:05 PM
Post #7

The ShadowComedian

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 13,525

There's also the one castle in scotland, where there is an item that can summon an army of ancestor spirits to defend the land and members of the clan . . it can be used three times, i think it was used 2 times already . .
DCP-Society < = look that up if you're bored.

Ancient Files had some nice item-ideas too . .

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Mar 15 2012, 02:26 AM
Post #8

Uncle Fisty

Faerie Flag or something like that wasn't it?

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Mar 15 2012, 02:28 AM
Post #9

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 14,465

QUOTE (fistandantilus4.0 @ Mar 14 2012, 09:26 PM) *
Faerie Flag or something like that wasn't it?
I thought that was just a rainbow flag?

Oh $Deity, I'm going to Hell, The Special Hell...

+Quote Post
fistandantilus4....
post Mar 15 2012, 03:25 AM
Post #10

Uncle Fisty

The one for child molesters and people who talk in the theater?

Oh, sorry, back to topic...

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Mar 15 2012, 03:39 AM
Post #11

Immortal Elf

Member No.: 14,465

QUOTE (fistandantilus4.0 @ Mar 14 2012, 10:25 PM) *
The one for child molesters and people who talk in the theater?

Oh, sorry, back to topic...
And make fun of Gay Pride. (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif)

Yes, back to topic.

+Quote Post
Daddy's Litt...
post Mar 15 2012, 02:29 PM
Post #12

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,668

Another idea migth be occult groups that aren't. People who think they have power or think getting an item from you "That is Alvin York's 1911 .45" will give them power could be a real interesting idea. for the first one imagine you have had a whole run to track down a group's headquarters. You raided it and found that they really were NOT a group of high powered mages and their group focus was a 1982 Cabbage Patch doll that has as much magic as a hamburger.
For the second one "Why are all these fruit cakes trying to pick MY pocket?"

+Quote Post
VykosDarkSoul
post Mar 16 2012, 09:24 PM
Post #13

Moving Target

Member No.: 50,732

If Crowley (1875-1947) dagger would be a relic, go for the american cult leaders and religious break-aways. Jim Jones' pulpit, David Khoresh's personal bible, Manson's copy of The White Album, William Penn's charter for Pennsylvania, Sir Thomas Dale's sword, Joseph Smith's "Book of Mormon", Henry Dunster's stole, and any of the original printings of the Urantia Book.

The Kool-aid tub from the Heavens Gate Cult?

+Quote Post
Daddy's Litt...
post Mar 16 2012, 09:28 PM
Post #14

Moving Target

Member No.: 6,668

I was thinking Jim Jones' Kool Aid tub. I think the heaven's gate people used shots or something smaller.

+Quote Post
kigmatzomat
post Mar 17 2012, 12:24 AM
Post #15

Moving Target

From: Louisville, KY (Well, Memphis, IN technically but you won't know where that is.)
Member No.: 7,626

It would probably be the sneakers or purple stoles from the Heaven's Gate crew.

+Quote Post
Snow_Fox
post Mar 17 2012, 02:38 AM
Post #16

Prime Runner

Member No.: 1,221

The trick for occult themed adventures is doubt. Keep them guessing as to what is going on. The momment the bad guy is clearly identified they have a target. If they have the item and know it, it loses it's awe and becomes a thing but leave them in doubt, who is doing this? Why? ARE THERE MORE OF THEM? things get creepy. I'd suggest reading some HP ovecraft for the Cthulhu cultist stuff and the Shadow over Innsmouth.

+Quote Post

Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 29th March 2024 - 12:21 AM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.