> CAS setting info?
Patrick Goodman
post Mar 18 2012, 01:38 PM
Post #26

Tilting at Windmills

Group: Members
Member No.: 388

QUOTE (Nath @ Mar 18 2012, 07:36 AM) *
There should have been more things happening in Texas in SR. But I sometimes get the impression the Texan crowd don't want things to happen in Texas. They just want Texas to win.

To a certain extent, that's true. I've met a lot of Texan fans that feel that way. They just want a retcon.

I'm not one of those.

I remember back in the day at FASA sending Mike Mulvihill a document called "Line in the Sand," which outlined what would have been about a two-year arc of stuff happening in Texas, resulting in some lost territory being restored and the Sons of the Alamo being more than a footnote. He seemed interested in talking about how to start implementing some of it...and then Mort shuttered FASA.

Rob wasn't too interested in it, as I recall, but I did send a copy to him for consideration.,,and the FanPro troubles soon began.

I've been hesitant about sending it to Jason. The sad thing is, most of it could still work in the current storyline....
Go to the top of the page

+Quote Post
snowRaven
post Mar 18 2012, 03:36 PM
Post #27

Shooting Target

Member No.: 4,516

With all the Aztechnology stuff going on, I'd say at least talk to him about it.

+Quote Post
Critias
post Mar 18 2012, 05:13 PM
Post #28

Freelance Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 6,714

QUOTE (Nath @ Mar 18 2012, 07:36 AM) *
On the other hand, having the Texan win in a single sentence only because victory rightfully belong to their people would be the surest way to remove any reason for the area to be given attention in any future sourcebooks. RPG is about telling stories as they happen, not after the facts.

Well, yeah. Which is why what I said is what we call "a joke." (IMG:style_emoticons/default/wink.gif)

There should have been more things happening in Texas in SR. But I sometimes get the impression the Texan crowd don't want things to happen in Texas. They just want Texas to win.

I know the reason I, personally, haven't really pushed at Jason or anyone to let me write more about the CAS/Azzie border war is because...well...it's a full-on border war. It's bigger stuff than I like in my own personal Shadowrun games, it's more militant than I think your average campaign is built to handle, and it's the sort of thing I think I would have trouble selling to the average GM. I know we've got War! and a handful of gear books that are all full of attack helicopters and tanks and stuff like that...but to me, that's outside the scope of what's likely to come up in your average game. I want the things I write to be things people not only enjoy reading, but can actually use in their campaign.

If I let the military historian in me out and write a detailed piece about how this armored unit and that armored unit and this air assault badass commando team and that artillery company all get together and stomp hell out of the Azzies, who respond with this infantry brigade and this armored squad and this horde of Blood spirits...well, that's all well and good, but the trick of it is (a) somehow wedging a group of PCs into the middle of all that without them dying outright, and (b) somehow making it feel like the insertion of that group of PCs is what really matters, not the twenty hojillion dudes with supported by tanks and Thor shots and attack helicopters and stuff. And, what's more, it requires doing so based on the assumption that the PCs aren't from there in the first place, because the overwhelming majority of campaigns aren't set in this area, so I couldn't even write it with a "local knowledge/guerrilla warfare" slant.

So, yeah. I'd dig it if stuff happened in Texas. There is stuff happening in Texas, in fact, that I know about. But it's the sort of thing that would be tough to write and make useful for your average Shadowrun game, which means some folks would love to see it, most folks would regard it as wasted page count and money, and it's a hard sell to The Powers That Be, who would obviously prefer we work on things that would appeal to a broader audience.

+Quote Post
thenightaflame
post Mar 18 2012, 05:56 PM
Post #29

Target

Member No.: 51,012

Random additional question now that it seems the Texans are done playing (hey, did you know that there is no such thing as a law that states your state flag is to be flown at the same level as the US flag, and if we cut Alaska in half, Texas would be the third largest state (IMG:style_emoticons/default/nyahnyah.gif) Sorry, Texans are fun to pick at.)

Anyway, what's the best source to find out what happened to X or Y company. I realize that there's no way that every company's future has been mapped out in the 6th World, but specifically, I'm looking for Shell Oil and Chevron. Also, is there any supplement that deals in any way with mining (specifically equipment)?

Thanks.

+Quote Post
Nath
post Mar 18 2012, 07:54 PM
Post #30

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,723

QUOTE (thenightaflame @ Mar 18 2012, 06:56 PM) *
Anyway, what's the best source to find out what happened to X or Y company. I realize that there's no way that every company's future has been mapped out in the 6th World, but specifically, I'm looking for Shell Oil and Chevron.
For 1st, 2nd and 3rd editions, you may take a look at my old Corporate Index. According to Shadows of Europe, Shell was involved in the formation of Royal Dutch Joint Enterprises (now Regulus Joint Industries) but it's not clear what Shell assets has become. California Free State had half a page on Chevron.

+Quote Post
thenightaflame
post Mar 19 2012, 08:21 PM
Post #31

Target

Awesome. That'll be amazingly helpful, and the UPS guy just left from delivering the Almanac and Shadows over North America, so it's time to start reading. Wish I had unlimited funds so I could just buy all of the books at once (well, just make that all books)...

+Quote Post
Nath
post Mar 19 2012, 09:01 PM
Post #32

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,723

QUOTE (Patrick Goodman @ Mar 18 2012, 02:38 PM) *
I've met a lot of Texan fans that feel that way. They just want a retcon.

An election CAS 2076 platform ? "No to Florida Recount, Yes to Texas Retcon !"

+Quote Post
thenightaflame
post Mar 20 2012, 04:47 AM
Post #33

Target

Since this is probably going to be somewhat of a long-term project for me, I decided to set up a blog where I'll stick stuff I make up for this: here's my first entry:

http://southernshadows.wordpress.com I haven't set up any of the design side yet, so the look will most likely change, but not terribly much because well, I suck at that sort of thing. If anyone else wants to join in with adding material (trying to keep it at a more locoal level to avoid canon conflicts and flesh out areas that aren't really covered in current materials), I can make that happen.

Criticisms and comments welcomed, and to keep you from having to go to an outside link, I'll spoilerize the text:

[ Spoiler ]

The tl:dr, I blew up a bunch of coal mines between Birmingham and Tuscaloosa, Alabama, making building at surface level fairly impossible, and have some random groups living in the remains of the mines with a very little bit on one of the groups.

Edit: proofread damnit, proofread.

+Quote Post
snowRaven
post Mar 20 2012, 10:45 AM
Post #34

Shooting Target

QUOTE (thenightaflame @ Mar 20 2012, 05:47 AM) *
The tl:dr, I blew up a bunch of coal mines between Birmingham and Tuscaloosa, Alabama, making building at surface level fairly impossible, and have some random groups living in the remains of the mines with a very little bit on one of the groups.

I like it.

I think there's a bunch of potential in a setting like that--it's like a toxic zone, but not quite. Could possibly give rise to some methane-dependent awakened creature, a local avenger toxic shaman, a ghost or two...

Runners can be sent in to retrieve someone who's hiding in the tunnels, or to gather reagents (or samples for BAD-making) in the form of awakened methane-eating fungi, or to find some family heirloom in the wreckage of an old home.

+Quote Post
thenightaflame
post Mar 21 2012, 01:04 AM
Post #35

Target

QUOTE (snowRaven @ Mar 20 2012, 05:45 AM) *
I like it.

I think there's a bunch of potential in a setting like that--it's like a toxic zone, but not quite. Could possibly give rise to some methane-dependent awakened creature, a local avenger toxic shaman, a ghost or two...

Runners can be sent in to retrieve someone who's hiding in the tunnels, or to gather reagents (or samples for BAD-making) in the form of awakened methane-eating fungi, or to find some family heirloom in the wreckage of an old home.

Thanks, if you don't mind I might happily run with some of that stuff.

I added some more and cleaned up that grammatical trainwreck that was in the other post. This one is written a little dryly, but what it is what it is.
[ Spoiler ]

tl;dr: I did a writeup not just for kudzu, but for an awakened variety of kudzu. At some point, I'm going to have to sit down and come up with the crunch for this, but the way I envision it, in muddled definitely not polished fashion:
[ Spoiler ]

+Quote Post
snowRaven
post Mar 21 2012, 02:18 AM
Post #36

Shooting Target

QUOTE (thenightaflame @ Mar 21 2012, 02:04 AM) *
Thanks, if you don't mind I might happily run with some of that stuff.

Feel free! (IMG:style_emoticons/default/smile.gif)

Yeah, the crunch of that kudzu needs polishing...but I think it can turn out good.

+Quote Post
Bigity
post Mar 22 2012, 02:06 PM
Post #37

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,024

QUOTE (Bearclaw @ Mar 16 2012, 12:17 PM) *
I would REALLY like to see something about occupied Texas. I mean really. A bunch of "Aztlaners" have moved all the way up to Austin? And Austin is occupied? And the rest of Texas is ignoring it? Have you met these people?

I've always felt this way, in any edition. Probably because I lived in San Angelo for over a decade and it's a border town in Shadowrun. Good place to enter Aztlan for some shadow work.

+Quote Post
CanRay
post Mar 22 2012, 02:12 PM
Post #38

Immortal Elf

Group: Dumpshocked
Member No.: 14,465

I think that says more about how powerful Mexico/Aztlan has become rather than how "passive" Texans are.

+Quote Post
Bigity
post Mar 25 2012, 12:52 AM
Post #39

Shooting Target

Member No.: 3,024

That never stopped us before (IMG:style_emoticons/default/biggrin.gif)

+Quote Post

2 Pages V  < 1 2
Reply to this topicStart new topic

RSS Lo-Fi Version Time is now: 28th November 2014 - 06:08 PM

Topps, Inc has sole ownership of the names, logo, artwork, marks, photographs, sounds, audio, video and/or any proprietary material used in connection with the game Shadowrun. Topps, Inc has granted permission to the Dumpshock Forums to use such names, logos, artwork, marks and/or any proprietary materials for promotional and informational purposes on its website but does not endorse, and is not affiliated with the Dumpshock Forums in any official capacity whatsoever.